Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
    *giggles* Thanks for the 'thong' clarification. I was reading the thread backwards from most recent post to where I'd left off earlier & saw the mention of thongs & did a when I read someone else's response to this! (Thongs for us describe binkini & underwear bottoms!!! )

Thanks for posting the pix though!
    Once upon a time, when I was a kid, we called flip flops thongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
      Strix, I'm going to help you with your post count. Could you switch off the Okie accent and repeat it to me in words I can find in a dictionary ? Or I swear, I'm going to talk to everyone in French with the Marseille accent "peuchère !"
      LOL! Thanks for the help. Okay, here's a translation....

I live in Oklahoma, where there are many, many, many rednecks. So many that they adopt the term as one of pride. Now, if you're wanting a good definition of redneck (courtesy of Wikipedia):

A redneck is typically a social conservative; as well as being, rural, working class, and opposed to taxation and regulation (all of these are subject to wild variations). A redneck is almost always a white American whose family has clearly been of rustic and traditional circumstances.

The term was originally used to describe a person of pale complexion who has been sunburned due to outdoor blue collar work. Because some think it applies exclusively to poor, working class whites, it has been regarded by them to mean racist and classist. Many also mistakingly associate all rednecks (negative stereotype) with the Ku Klux Klan.

On the other hand, it is embraced by many, such as the Southern celebrities Jerry Clower and Jeff Foxworthy. While some prefer the terms "country" or "southern", the term redneck is used both as a term of pride and as a derogatory epithet. In one of his stand-up routines, Foxworthy sums up the condition as "a glorious absence of sophistication".
      end definition

Me, I have a red neck, but that's because I ride my scooter to work everyday in the blazing Oklahoma summer heat.

And I think I might even be able to make this post sort of on-topic by saying that Amanda and Sam are decidedly not rednecks.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
        Go Strix...Go Strix... You can do it. You can do it!!
        Thanks!!! <getting there!>

Hugs,
        Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          Once upon a time, when I was a kid, we called flip flops thongs.
          Yup, yup. That's what I called them growing up.

Hugs,
          Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
            [note this is sarcasm and a lame attempt at humor, dont red rep me, I promise not to post here again, I just needed to vent in relative safety]
            Hey, don't run off! Feel free to post here anytime... Anyone who likes Sam is very welcome.

Hugs,
            Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
              Yup, yup. That's what I called them growing up.

Hugs,
              Strix
              OK, now I'm confused. First rednecks (thanks for the translation Strix ), a few posts ago there were some australian bogans, now thongs, flip flops....
              I thought English was universal. At least that's what they're saying on Stargate or why is it that all the universe speaks English ?
              Please, Strix, answer me ! You're only a few posts away of the milestone.
              Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

I am suprised you guys don't all get red repped for even daring to have such a thread. I mean common your guy's thread keeps going to the top and pushing he WOW thread to the second page. How dare you!!! [note this is sarcasm and a lame attempt at humor, dont red rep me, I promise not to post here again, I just needed to vent in relative safety]

BTW Sam rules and is my my favorite Sci Fi female character. She is a strong female that wears the same logical protective gear that all the rest of the team does. The only character even close was Ivonova from B5 but she was more snarky then action oriented.

I dont know that Claudia Christian who played Ivonova could have pulled off the Sam Carter character had she somehow been cast and I doubt CB could have pulled it off either. Both are good actresses but Amanda is amazing in her ability to act like a true solder. The way she handles the firearms, does the hand signals and reacts to orders makes you think she has actually been in the AF for a long, long time. And the way she handles the technobable makes you feel like she is truely a Dr in Physics. Sam IS a great character and I dont know how everyone can't see that or why they feel threatened by it.
                Cross over children...into Samanda...all welcome...all welcome!!!

This is our sanctuary to freely express all things, good and bad, regarding Sam. Each of us has differing opinions of Sam, things that we like and dislike, but it is our shared love for this absolutely, wonderful character that unites us as Samandans.

Do not feel ashamed or frightened to post your opinions here. All we ask is that you show the same kindness and common courtesy to others as you would want to be shown to you. The world outside of Samanda can often be a frustrating place, so it is nice to know we all have a place here that we can call home.

Comment

Originally posted by Lys

OK, now I'm confused. First rednecks (thanks for the translation Strix ), a few posts ago there were some australian bogans, now thongs, flip flops....

I thought English was universal. At least that's what they're saying on Stargate or why is it that all the universe speaks English ?
                  My Dear Royal Pharmacist

Please allow me to explain some of the variations that abound when discussing certain Aussie/Stateside words which seem to have confused you ... it is, indeed, a matter of great concern and rightly so!

For the sake of brevity, I shall focus on the "Amanda in thongs" post several replies back. It seems that the Australian contingent (Myrth and AD) were delighted that Amanda was seen in this attire. Meanwhile, a certain group of Samandans who live in the USA were aghast! Aha ... we each pictured a different version of Amanda for sure. Please see below ...

The Australian version of thongs

The American version of thongs

Indeed, Sam Carter is either saving the universe and trying not to trip over her feet, or she is out there giving Vala some serious competition!

However, it may be that the Aussies and Americans are both wrong ... I kept searching online and found what may have been the true story behind AT's newest fashion statement ...

The description, itself, seems to point in this direction: "If you do any flashing work, you need at least one set of ... tongs." High-grade iron, no less.

Semantics, just a matter of Samandan semantics ....

Jester (who entered some websites this afternoon on her quest of a printable thong-picture and realized that there's a lot more than semantics going on)
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 24 July 2005, 11:33 AM.

Comment

thongs, toe sandals, flip flops are all terms referring to the same sort of shoe. one with a sole and two thin straps joining between the big and second toe (hence the term toe sandal) just like the picture above

as to ladies' lingerie, well they are sorta based on the shoe principal. they have a 'sole' the part that covers the front of a lady's anatomy then two thin 'straps' that go from the apex of the 'sole', between her nether cheeks and join with the strap that goes around her waist.

they're basically backless panties

not a fashion statement that i've even wanted to wear although my sister loves hers. and many ladies like them since they can wear slacks without worrying about panty lines showing through
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar

...Thanks for the 'thong' clarification. I was reading the thread backwards from most recent post to where I'd left off earlier & saw the mention of thongs & did a when I read someone else's response to this! (Thongs for us describe bikini & underwear bottoms!!! )
                      SS, stay with us ... the kingdom is growing! And, obviously, you are one of the American "thongers".

Everyone ... take a peek at SS's sig - it's ROTF funny! Great sig!
                      Last edited by ChopinGal; 24 July 2005, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                        My Dear Royal Pharmacist

Please allow me to explain some of the variations that abound when discussing certain Aussie/Stateside words which seem to have confused you ... it is, indeed, a matter of great concern and rightly so!

For the sake of brevity, I shall focus on the "Amanda in thongs" post several replies back. It seems that the Australian contingent (Myrrth and AD) were delighted that Amanda was seen in this attire. Meanwhile, a certain group of Samandans who live in the USA were aghast! Aha ... we each pictured a different version of Amanda for sure. Please see below ...

The Australian version of thongs

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11.../flipflops.jpg
                        The American version of thongs

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...al/VSThong.jpg

Indeed, Sam Carter is either saving the universe and trying not to trip over her feet, or she is out there giving Vala some serious competition!

However, it may be that the Aussies and Americans are both wrong ... I kept searching online and found what may have been the true story behind AT's newest fashion statement ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...Gal/tongs1.jpg

The description, itself, seems to point in this direction: "If you do any flashing work, you need at least one set of ... tongs." High-grade iron, no less.

Semantics, just a matter of Samandan semantics ....

Jester (who entered some websites this afternoon on her quest of a printable thong-picture and realized that there's a lot more than semantics going on)
                        LOL !
                        And what happens when Australians wear American thongs and vice versa ?
                        Should I be aware of other "dangerous" words, dear Jester ? Or is the confusion limited to whatever thongs you chose to wear ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                          LOL !
                          And what happens when Australians wear American thongs and vice versa ?
                          Should I be aware of other "dangerous" words, dear Jester ? Or is the confusion limited to whatever thongs you chose to wear ?
                          I am not responsible for any cross-dressing between the Australians and Americans. They do so at their own risk! As a VM (venerable matriarch) and RH (Royal Hen), I am long past worrying about my toes and derriere. I try to keep both warm and covered.

Hmmm ... more words "dangereuses" ... one never knows around here. I shall be on the alert and continue to scan all posts. Semantic Security Patrol ... ah yes ... I shall gladly take on this added duty out of my love for Samanda and its younger citizens! The Royal Accountant is quite good at semantics also. I cannot speak for her choice of foot or underwear though.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            I am not responsible for any cross-dressing between the Australians and Americans. They do so at their own risk! As a VM (venerable matriarch) and RH (Royal Hen), I am long past worrying about my toes and derriere. I try to keep both warm and covered.

Hmmm ... more words "dangereuses" ... one never knows around here. I shall be on the alert and continue to scan all posts. Semantic Security Patrol ... ah yes ... I shall gladly take on this added duty out of my love for Samanda and its younger citizens! The Royal Accountant is quite good at semantics also. I cannot speak for her choice of foot or underwear though.
                            Because there's also an English version in addition of the American and Australian ones !!!!
                            Why did I want to post on Gateworld ? Right, I remember. I didn't want to go to those French forums where they "rite evryfin lyk dat"
                            At least, I understand English better than those horrible spellings.

Comment

I am suprised you guys don't all get red repped for even daring to have such a thread. I mean common your guy's thread keeps going to the top and pushing he WOW thread to the second page. How dare you!!! [note this is sarcasm and a lame attempt at humor, dont red rep me, I promise not to post here again, I just needed to vent in relative safety]

BTW Sam rules and is my my favorite Sci Fi female character. She is a strong female that wears the same logical protective gear that all the rest of the team does. The only character even close was Ivonova from B5 but she was more snarky then action oriented.

I dont know that Claudia Christian who played Ivonova could have pulled off the Sam Carter character had she somehow been cast and I doubt CB could have pulled it off either. Both are good actresses but Amanda is amazing in her ability to act like a true solder. The way she handles the firearms, does the hand signals and reacts to orders makes you think she has actually been in the AF for a long, long time. And the way she handles the technobable makes you feel like she is truely a Dr in Physics. Sam IS a great character and I dont know how everyone can't see that or why they feel threatened by it.

Hey and Welcome to Samanda. Amanda is fantastic as Sam. I believe that was one of the reasons the producers cast her - because she could handle a firearm and look beautiful. She certainly makes it look natural. I know I'd have a tough time handling one.

Pop in more often. We're friendly folks!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                                Because there's also an English version in addition of the American and Australian ones !!!!
                                Why did I want to post on Gateworld ? Right, I remember. I didn't want to go to those French forums where they "rite evryfin lyk dat"
                                At least, I understand English better than those horrible spellings.
                                Mais oui, ma chere!

If you are lucky, Coley (aka the Royal Accountant) may make an appearance tonight (after downloading stuff on her PC) and she can then tell us what the Brits call "thongs and flip flops" and if the "bogan" works for the UK too. Oh, 1speed may join in on that too.

Your command of English is wonderful! Think of this thread as a great learning tool!

Comment

Working...
                                X