Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tsaxlady
    I was at the post office today mailing a package when I ran into someone I have not seen in almost a year. We were talking about what has been going on recently and I was telling her about going to Comic Con. This lead to me saying that SciFi Friday was my favorite night of TV and she said "Oh you mean on the SciFi Channel". Now she is the last person I would expect to watch anything on the SciFi channel. She went on to say that her husband watches Stargate and she has started watching so she could show interest in what he likes. She said we watched last night and I was so confused, they missed Avalon Part 1, neither of them keep up with news reports on what is going on and they had no idea about all the cast changes. She asked what happened to McGyver and please tell me the dark haired chick is not replacing Carter. She was like I just figured out who the Goa'uld and Ancients are and now they are changing everything. It was so interesting to talk to her since she is just becoming a fan of the show. She said I was really becoming a fan of the show and looked forward to watching and now I'm confused all over again and these new guys don't jell very well and why does that one guys talk so fast. She then said she really liked Atlantis last night.
    Newbie here delurking...

I'm feeling a moment of validation because this is *so* close to what I posted about in the thread discussing how so many of the "SG1" related news stories have chosen to focus on the "Farscape" crew coming to the party. I responded with the following.

I especially find these comments funny because they ignore the reality of the situation. The reason "Farscape" died, even though it had such a rabid fandom, is the simple fact that despite what the online community might think, they're actually a very small percentage of a show's viewing numbers. From what I've seen, SciFi fandoms number tens of thousands at best, leaving a huge percentage of the remaining two or three million lying squarely in the group known as the "Silent Majority." These are the people who actually make the difference, the people who come home from work, sit down on their couch, look at the clock, and remember, "Hey, that show I like is on."

These "Silent Types," these "Mainstreamers," really make so much of what is discussed on boards like these pretty moot. They don't read reviews. They might read TV newspages over lunch or breakfast, but they tend to flush them from their memory in favor of what's happening in their day. I mean, look at all of the press BSG has gotten. If it truly had an impact on mainstream viewers, BSG should be seeing ratings increases that would dwarf the paltry three million or so a week they currently earn.

Honestly, the only press I've seen ever have a real effect on a show's viewing numbers is "watercooler buzz," or when a show suddenly becomes what everyone's talking about. These are a rare few--your "Sienfield"s, your "Ally McBeal"s, your "Desperate Housewives." They typically are not genre programs, and unless someone finds a way to revitalize everyone's idea of sci-fi/fantasy, as Chris Carter and Joss Whedon both did, that's unlikely to change.

So yes, "Farscape" fans coming over here and saying, "You should be happy with what we've done for you" sounds silly to me. It's the mainstreamers we should all be fawning over and finding ways to bring them into our fold whatever way we can.

*Here, 'streamer, 'streamer.*

*Hides big club behind back*
    And now here I see you backing up the very point I was making. This makes me so happy...especially since I got "Redded" for it by someone who shall remain nameless, but whose screenname starts with a "K" and ends with an "E" and who probably considers me a heretic since I used to be a Scaper too...
    "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

Comment

P.S. Thanks so much for all of the con pictures you've been posting lately. My personal fave is Joe Flanigan, but I thought the Lady Amanda looked lovely as well! (Can't wait to see
      Spoiler:
      her on "Atlantis." DH is already doing his happy dance!
      )

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Ode to the Old and New

Well, here we are with friend and foe
        Season Nine is a go
        Avalon's been on two weeks
        With standard swords and medieval geeks

We got to meet new kids on block
        Watching Vala at first a shock
        Sex and superficial chatter
        Sam's away, could be the matter

Cam comes on, a bit too wooden
        We watch Landry as he moves in
        Daniel seems to be on speed
        Talks so fast, what is the need?

Meanwhile Teal'c is looking stern
        Has Dakara problems we soon learn
        And then there is the young new doc
        Her bedside manner doesn't rock

Something's missing past two weeks
        Even with the hype and leaks
        We're looking forward to "new, improved"
        But SG1 has lost its groove

Just shows to go 'ya
        Without Sam and Jack
        SG1 has turned into Caddyshack

Sure, it will draw newbies to the Gate
        But they won't have history from which to relate
        They'll come and see and cheer and leer
        While fans of yore may shed a tear

The old team had its special cast
        Yet we know nothing good can last
        Jack moved on, and Sam may too
        The writers pen a different crew

Hope the storylines improve
        And everyone regains their groove
        We'll keep watching for Sam's return
        To see if SG1 fires again will burn

Clever plotlines, a "slower" Jackson
        Less campy humor, more real-life action
        Now we don't want to sound too mean
        But we want chemistry that translates onscreen

Legend of Arthur ... been there, done that
        Much of medieval cakewalk leaves us flat
        SA is Daedalus cruising transgalactic
        SG1 is much more static

Oriis, Ancients, and Non-Ascended
        "Who's on first and what's on second?"
        Minds are spinning with too many races
        But our team is far from outer spaces

Take us back into the stars
        Give us back SG1 in charge
        Forget the esoteric S9 barter
        We'll take Ba'al or Replicarter

Thought a closing pic would do
        Of the gone but most loved crew
        Hope you liked this little story
        Yearning for SG1 and its past glory

ChopinGal,
        What can I say? You did it again, your poem is tops! I think it speaks alot to how some of us feel.
        In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
        so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
        Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
        Hic Comitas Regit
        Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
        Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
          Newbie here delurking...

I'm feeling a moment of validation because this is *so* close to what I posted about in the thread discussing how so many of the "SG1" related news stories have chosen to focus on the "Farscape" crew coming to the party. I responded with the following.

And now here I see you backing up the very point I was making. This makes me so happy...especially since I got "Redded" for it by someone who shall remain nameless, but whose screenname starts with a "K" and ends with an "E" and who probably considers me a heretic since I used to be a Scaper too...
          I wonder who that could possibly be??? /sarcasm

Nice comments. I have to admit, it's people like this who give fans of any show a really bad name.

Kat

Comment

Just checked my control panel...

*Eyes bug out*

This is a very classy thread. I didn't mean to fish and I certainly didn't expect that kind of a response. You ever need anyone to defend Lady Amanda's honor anywhere, y'all call on the Penguin, Y'hear?!

*Still amazed...*

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
              I've read posts lauding Amanda Tapping, piling praise upon praise for her abilities, and gushing over her pregnancy and subsequent delivery of a healthy newborn by nearly all of the regular posters in this thread. She has decided to stick with SG-1, and the way I see it, if folks were really supporting her, then they would support SG-1 as well. TPTB have been rather eloquent in their accomodation of Amanda's wants and needs both during and after her pregnancy, so holding it against them that she's not there for a chunk of season nine seems quite unfair to me.
              Well, since I'm one of the doom and gloomers at this point in time, I'm going to respond to this on a personal level, because I take friendly issue with a couple of these statements. And please understand that I'm not attacking you, golfbooy, just trying to explain where I'm coming from.

First, I'm not holding it against anyone that AT isn't in the first episodes, and if I have come across that way, then let me assure you it isn't the case. Yes, I miss her, but I'm thrilled they've accomodated her pregnancy. I think there's a big difference between looking forward to her coming back, and holding it against TPTB that she isn't there. I certainly do the former, but not the latter.

I was really hoping to like the first episodes, including BB, who I respected for the way he approached things in interviews before hand. Unfortunately, I have not liked his character as much as I was hoping. No, I can't really tell you why, but then, it took me years to really get to like Jack, so it's not like I'm going to stop watching the show just because I have ambivalent feelings about Cam after just two episodes. However, I've already stated my very pleasant surprise at liking Vala so much. So, you win some, you lose some.

I am very tired of all things King Arthur, so that doesn't endear these episodes to me; I've fought sidesword, broadsword, two-handed sword, short sword, you-name-it sword for years and years so trust me when I tell you that the sword fight was lame. LAME, lame, lame. Little things like that add up to where I just don't feel like ranting and raving about how great an episode was.

As for supporting SG-1... I think that by watching, I am supporting SG-1. I love this show, or I wouldn't be wasting several hours of my day in the fandom. I think that's probably true for everyone on this forum. But I'm afraid I can't help the fact that there are, and always have been, some episodes that I like more than others, and some that I think are just stinkers. I certainly wouldn't call Avalons 1&2 stinkers, but I didn't enjoy them as much as I would have liked.

Tastes vary, and it would be a boring world if everyone held the same opinions about everything. I think it would be disingenuous to heap praises on an episode that I really thought could have been better. Alas, I have never been a good cheerleader, but I am obsessively honest. However, I pick the tomatoes out my salads, too, but that doesn't stop me from ordering one for lunch.

Hugs,
              Strix

My LJ

Comment

you're not the only one to be hit by the random K

in fact, the list is long and distinguished.

we may not all be positive in here right now, and sorry to drag things down for those that are...but - to the best of my knowledge - no samandan has ever gone into other threads and declared rep 'war' on people that s/he doesn't agree with.

to quote rda 'life's too short'
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                  Wow, this place is damn depressing. I must say that while I expected some knashing of teeth over Sam's absence in the earliest parts of the season, this level of doom and gloom is still a shock.

We've all known for many, many months now that Amanda Tapping wasn't going to be around for the first few episodes, so I'm not really understanding why it's being treated as if all that was great and good about Stargate is no more. I've read posts lauding Amanda Tapping, piling praise upon praise for her abilities, and gushing over her pregnancy and subsequent delivery of a healthy newborn by nearly all of the regular posters in this thread. She has decided to stick with SG-1, and the way I see it, if folks were really supporting her, then they would support SG-1 as well. TPTB have been rather eloquent in their accomodation of Amanda's wants and needs both during and after her pregnancy, so holding it against them that she's not there for a chunk of season nine seems quite unfair to me.

As for Carter, well, Sam will return, and what's more, TPTB are playing her return for high drama. She is apparently the cog around which SG-1 will actually reform, so I suppose my question to you all is what greater compliment could possibly be given to her character? This is a not so subtle nod to the fact that there really can't be an SG-1 without Sam, that she is too irreplaceable to do without. Maybe it's me, maybe it's you, maybe we're all just seeing what we want to see, but nothing about Avalon 1 & 2 comes across as different from what I've always expected from Stargate.

My thoughts on Avalon 2 are here and here, if anyone is interested, but I'll warn that they are decidedly at odds with the prevalent opinion expressed here.

I couldn't find a good way to quote the entire post, so that's all I got. Anyway, your sentiments toward season nine seem to echo mine, ForeverSg1. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who's still enjoying the show.
                  golfbooy,
                  Loved your thoughts and insight to this season. I think I have to agree with much of what you had to say I also believe that Sam Carter is the glue that will hold SG1 together in this 9th season. I can't wait for her return!
                  In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
                  so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
                  Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
                  Hic Comitas Regit
                  Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                  Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

let's see, positive things about avalon 1 and 2

sam was in it (that's a gimme)

i do like cam. i think he'll fit in well. and i like that he and sam are friends
                    while vala herself may annoy me, i do enjoy the aspect of daniel that she brings out. the banter is far more enjoyable than the usual uber angst

i think that Lam will fitin well too. she'llnever fit Janet's 3 inch heels, but i think she'll work out

landry too. never been a fan of beau bridges, but landry shows some promise

the jury's still out on the orii i'm afraid. real life has me a bit sick of religious extremists...which is how the orii are shaping up thus far. just might hit a bit too close to home
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      you're not the only one to be hit by the random K

in fact, the list is long and distinguished.

we may not all be positive in here right now, and sorry to drag things down for those that are...but - to the best of my knowledge - no samandan has ever gone into other threads and declared rep 'war' on people that s/he doesn't agree with.

to quote rda 'life's too short'
                      Yeah, to be honest, I think I find myself lurking over here more and more because I can always count on the posts over here to be intelligent and interesting without being either "bashing" or "gushing." I lurk on the "Sheppard Thunk Thread" as well, but I'm disappointed in the fact that no one over there wants to discuss the character so much as just drool. The episode threads seem to be some of the few places that actually *discuss* the shows, but even they can be pretty lacking when it comes to carrying on cogent arguments.

I just hate that I've never really been an "SG1" fan and it was "SGA" that sucked me in. From everything you kind folk have said about AT/Sam Carter, both actress and character sound pretty wonderful. I wish we "Atlanteans" had something we could offer for her. Maybe later we could work something out...

Comment

Just checked my control panel...

*Eyes bug out*

This is a very classy thread. I didn't mean to fish and I certainly didn't expect that kind of a response. You ever need anyone to defend Lady Amanda's honor anywhere, y'all call on the Penguin, Y'hear?!

*Still amazed...*
                        lady amanda....

LOVE it!

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

0.0 That poem is totally, totally.....TRUE!! No truer words were ever thought, spoken, or typed! And the pic is fab--did you do it? May I Use it for my wallpaper on my computer? Sorry, I'm a sucker for good writing and art (who says handdrawn pics rule all? It's amazing what you can do with a computer ).

I think 3/4 of the old team will be returning...Sam Carter (yay!), Teal'c, and Daniel (that was a given once you watched Avalon Pt 1 & Avalon Pt 2 though). If you look closely at the clipshot of the team going through the gate before the show starts (forgive me, I don't know the exact term) you'll see that all three are in there (thank God for T-vo, I was able to rewind and play it over and over until I could identify all four people).

After seeing most of the old team in that...?....clipshot I don't have the term for....my hopes have been restored I'm glad to hear Jack's in the next episode....I listened to another thread and heard why he's been cut out quite a bit, but I still think it was a major mistake doing it Why? In one word, because he's funny. In a dozen (or more), his character & the team seemed to fit well (sorry but that's the best way I can explain how I feel about it without giving you a headache )
                          - Miz

Proud Samandan (blue jello all the way!! )

Proud Anti-S9 Forumer (Pro-Original SG-1)

SG-1
                          Not your average world-saving squad!!

Comment

I just hate that I've never really been an "SG1" fan and it was "SGA" that sucked me in. From everything you kind folk have said about AT/Sam Carter, both actress and character sound pretty wonderful. I wish we "Atlanteans" had something we could offer for her. Maybe later we could work something out...
                            would you be irked if sam ran the atlantis base???

i don't watch atlantis, but i know who weir is. don't want her out of a job, though, so... *tries to think of another job for sam on atlantis*

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Very apt description for her too... she certainly is a lady

Originally posted by majorsal
                              lady amanda....

LOVE it!

sally
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Strix varia:
                                Well, since I'm one of the doom and gloomers at this point in time, I'm going to respond to this on a personal level, because I take friendly issue with a couple of these statements.
                                Please, don't take anything I've ever written here personally. Disagree all you like, argue with me if I rankle you so, but never think that a personal attack is being made. This is only Stargate.

I am very tired of all things King Arthur, so that doesn't endear these episodes to me;
                                Trust me, Mitchell vs. the Black Knight doesn't do it for me either. Overall my take on this part of the story is more, "On second thought, let us not go to Camelot, tis a silly place."
                                Unfortunately, I have not liked his character as much as I was hoping.
                                I can't argue with this sentiment. As I've said in earlier posts today, though not here, I think that Ben Browder hasn't had too much, particularly in Avalon 2. There's not that much there to like or dislike, which is why anyone with a vehement opinion one way or the other strikes an odd chord with me. Like you, I'm not in love with Mitchell yet. But that seems rather natural at this point in the story.

Originally Posted by PsychoPenguin:
                                Yeah, to be honest, I think I find myself lurking over here more and more because I can always count on the posts over here to be intelligent and interesting without being either "bashing" or "gushing."
                                Again, my post wasn't intended as a personal attack at anyone in particular, just my thoughts on what I'd been reading. Like PyschoPenguin said, the reason I started posting here in the first place was that this is one of the few threads that I've found where frank, somewhat in-depth discussion takes place on at least a semi-regular basis. At the very least, I'm thankful that opposing viewpoints aren't automatically dismissed as specious here.

Comment

Working...
                                X