Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avalon II

Yikes, that episode bored me - exposition littered with extraneous and gratuitous elements.

Spoiler:
    I didn't even like the swordfight. Vala was right, Cam wasn't very good, and the 'knight' actually started fighting worse so Cam could win.

My favorite part of the entire episode was Vala's blue dress. I thought it would be a truly wonderful dress for a Ren Faire (with the embroidered shift pulled above the bodice - the barmaid bodices look doesn't work for me - but the colors, the fabrics, the construction of the bodice, overdress, and (especially) those sleeves, were all fantastic) - and I'm experiencing a very odd sense of virtual loss at that thought.

When did Stargate turn into the kind of show where admiring the costumes ends up being the entertainment value provided by the exercise of watching it? I want more science and science fiction and the US Air Force in my Stargate and less barmaid bodices, and fantasy Renaissance redux, thank you very much, PTB. Dr. Lee and the actors in uniforms just didn't make the science/Air Force grade for me in this episode.
    ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
      I watched "Ascension" last night on DVD and I was curious what everyone else thought about the Carter center episode?
      You know, I didn't think nearly as much about this episode as I did AFTER I'd read fanfic on it. Some really insightful authors wrote stories about how betrayed Sam felt after that incident, and it's interesting, because stuff like that can rarely be addressed in an episode that essentially contributes to an arc, but is in essence a standalone episode.

The more fics I find on Sam's feelings of betrayal, the more I would imagine that the guys probably REALLY had to make it up to her for what happened.

Comment

IMO , if someone by chance watched SG1 for the first time, they might say ... it is ok. This is because they do not know how good it was before . What TPTB should have done is finished Stargate SG1 and then started it totally different maybe SGC. This was , we who have seen and rewatched the series for the past years will not be associating everything to our SG1 team.

It is very sad to watch Stargate SG1 now. I for one am waiting for Jack's snarky remark. I am listening for Sam's technobable like no other person can say it. I miss the way Daniel interacts with Jack. I yearn for Teal'c to say "indeed" to the one and only SG1 team. IMO

Comment

OK, so Avalon Part II... I think I need to watch this ep again, but...

I was disappointed to find no Jack and no Sam, but I'll take what I can get, and I won't complain since they nicely surprised us with some Sam action in Avalon Part I.

That being said, I agree with you, Forever (and I just love your sigs of the moment, btw. the dangerous Sam one? brilliant!) about Teal'c seeming a bit isolated. I know it's because Daniel's tied up with Vala and Cameron is... being developed. But part of me wonders if there would be more Teal'c/Team action, if there were more characters to go around. It makes sense that Daniel's got other things on his mind besides Teal'c's plight, and Cam isn't close enough to really understand. I'm hoping we see some more insight into what Teal'c's going through right now!

I liked the Daniel and Vala part, too. I sat there with my mouth open, just completely in shock - I don't think I was expecting that, and I'm hoping it's just an example of what's to come for Vala's deeper side.

I tried to like it more than I did, which is why I think I'm gonna have to watch it again. I'm sure the show will pick up once the new foe is established and the characters have a better groove (I compare it to Atlantis' first eps), but I agree with your assessments that the team is a unnaturally fragmented (which, according to spoilers, doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon ). I, too, am kinda getting that spinoff vibe. Strange.

Still, I'm interested to see how scary these Ori can be. The end of the episode was surprisingly eerie and gave me a bit of a chill, which I haven't gotten in a long time.

On an Atlantis note, this has probably been mentioned before, but am I crazy or does Atlantis seem to be copying after Battlestar Galactica when it comes to how the episodes are filmed? "Intruder" was distractingly similar to the show I've come to despise.

Comment

Got any fic recs there for that??

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            You know, I didn't think nearly as much about this episode as I did AFTER I'd read fanfic on it. Some really insightful authors wrote stories about how betrayed Sam felt after that incident, and it's interesting, because stuff like that can rarely be addressed in an episode that essentially contributes to an arc, but is in essence a standalone episode.

The more fics I find on Sam's feelings of betrayal, the more I would imagine that the guys probably REALLY had to make it up to her for what happened.
            sigpic

Comment

I've read your comments on Avalon Part II.

I haven't watched it yet. Everybody seems to complain of the lack of team interaction, but isn't SG-1 still SG-me in Cam's words ? Isn't it normal not to have this team feeling since there's no team ?
              Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                Got any fic recs there for that??

Ooh... You're gonna have me make good on my claim! I'll have to look, but I can't, for the life of me, remember where I found these fics. Interesting...

*scampers over to bug sky, the fanfic extraordinaire*

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                  I've read your comments on Avalon Part II.

I haven't watched it yet. Everybody seems to complain of the lack of team interaction, but isn't SG-1 still SG-me in Cam's words ? Isn't it normal not to have this team feeling since there's no team ?
                  You know, that is the logical way of looking at it. The team shouldn't be acting like a well-oiled machine, that's true. If they did, it wouldn't seem natural and we'd be complaining about that!

I guess I just looked at it as another ep from season seven and eight - you know, where all four of the characters are working towards an A and a B plot in separate places? It never bothered me before really, but the early seasons DEFINITELY had only an A plot - and if there was a B plot, it was minor in comparison. The team was typically together throughout the entire episode in some regard. Even when they were separated for tactical reasons, they almost always started and ended at the same place - together.

I am interested to see what happens to Daniel and Vala in "Origin," but I also feel like a part of the Dakara story was missing. Daniel is going at this alone with Vala, which makes sense; yet Teal'c is relatively alone - and missed something very important, too boot; and Cameron's still kinda floating in the expanse. That's why I can't wait to see "Origin," to see how this works out.

And, of course, I want to see what new groove Sam is gonna bring with her in "Beach Head." That episode will be very important when it comes to establishing the new team, IMO, because it will have Daniel, Cam, Teal'c, Vala and Sam all working together to solve a problem.

Comment

Ode to the Old and New

Well, here we are with friend and foe
                    Season Nine is a go
                    Avalon's been on two weeks
                    With standard swords and medieval geeks

We got to meet new kids on block
                    Watching Vala at first a shock
                    Sex and superficial chatter
                    Sam's away, could be the matter

Cam comes on, a bit too wooden
                    We watch Landry as he moves in
                    Daniel seems to be on speed
                    Talks so fast, what is the need?

Meanwhile Teal'c is looking stern
                    Has Dakara problems we soon learn
                    And then there is the young new doc
                    Her bedside manner doesn't rock

Something's missing past two weeks
                    Even with the hype and leaks
                    We're looking forward to "new, improved"
                    But SG1 has lost its groove

Just shows to go 'ya
                    Without Sam and Jack
                    SG1 has turned into Caddyshack

Sure, it will draw newbies to the Gate
                    But they won't have history from which to relate
                    They'll come and see and cheer and leer
                    While fans of yore may shed a tear

The old team had its special cast
                    Yet we know nothing good can last
                    Jack moved on, and Sam may too
                    The writers pen a different crew

Hope the storylines improve
                    And everyone regains their groove
                    We'll keep watching for Sam's return
                    To see if SG1 fires again will burn

Clever plotlines, a "slower" Jackson
                    Less campy humor, more real-life action
                    Now we don't want to sound too mean
                    But we want chemistry that translates onscreen

Legend of Arthur ... been there, done that
                    Much of medieval cakewalk leaves us flat
                    SA is Daedalus cruising transgalactic
                    SG1 is much more static

Oriis, Ancients, and Non-Ascended
                    "Who's on first and what's on second?"
                    Minds are spinning with too many races
                    But our team is far from outer spaces

Take us back into the stars
                    Give us back SG1 in charge
                    Forget the esoteric S9 barter
                    We'll take Ba'al or Replicarter

Thought a closing pic would do
                    Of the gone but most loved crew
                    Hope you liked this little story
                    Yearning for SG1 and its past glory

Last edited by ChopinGal; 23 July 2005, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      Ode to the Old and New

Season Nine is a go

Just shows to go 'ya
                      Without Sam and Jack

While fans of yore may stifle a sneer

SG1 is much more static

Oris, Ascendeds, and Non-Ascendeds

Of the past but most loved crew

All I can add is amen! Too bad, I really don't want Stargate to end, but it has already, hasn't it?

Comment

One good thing, in a back-handed way, about these first two episodes is that I had been worried that the chemistry would be so good between the "new group" that Sam wouldn't fit in when she finally came back. I'm certainly not worried about that anymore. This just feels like flat champagne when I was expecting something delightfully bubbly.

I don't monitor any other threads, but I'm curious what the reaction to these first two episodes has been amoungst the Sam-slammers. Are they loving them, or do they, too, feel that things are just a bit off?

I know that I'm incredibly biased, but unless the writing improves dramatically in the next couple of episodes (which I honestly hope will happen), I'll be waiting for Sam's return to save the season for me.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                          One good thing, in a back-handed way, about these first two episodes is that I had been worried that the chemistry would be so good between the "new group" that Sam wouldn't fit in when she finally came back. I'm certainly not worried about that anymore. This just feels like flat champagne when I was expecting something delightfully bubbly.

I don't monitor any other threads, but I'm curious what the reaction to these first two episodes has been amoungst the Sam-slammers. Are they loving them, or do they, too, feel that things are just a bit off?

I know that I'm incredibly biased, but unless the writing improves dramatically in the next couple of episodes (which I honestly hope will happen), I'll be waiting for Sam's return to save the season for me.
                          Hey Strix, great metaphor!

You've just written what I tried to express in my poem after reading all the replies from last night. I don't have time to venture off-thread either but I'm sure some of our Samandans will bring back the latest news. I did take a look at GW's two reviews and they seemed mostly favorable.

There was a different dynamic though when watching SA last night ... yes, the computer virus threat thingie is also a borrowed plot, but the cast brought a lot of energy and cohesion and tension into the episode and I found myself, as some here have already said, enjoying SA more than SG1.

Let's see what develops ... will the fizz or fire return with Sam?

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia

I swore I wouldn't read even the epi discussions anymore because those usually drag me down, but I did dip into one last week. Sure enough, the first post I read complained about too many flashbacks of Sam. I quit reading right then, even though I know the poster is a big Danny fan, and probably not representative of the whole thread. Sheesh, Sam is only in the episode for what, a minute, and it's too much?

Last night after Avalon 2, I read a question in the ask Joe M. thread which was not Sam bashing, but may be indicative of some of the Danny cult's mind set. They loved the interaction between Danny and Vala and begged for more Vala, which probably means less Sam, of course.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                              Ode to the Old and New

Season Nine is a go

Just shows to go 'ya
                              Without Sam and Jack

While fans of yore may stifle a sneer

SG1 is much more static

Oris, Ascendeds, and Non-Ascendeds

Of the gone but most loved crew

So wonderful and so true!
                              sigpic

Comment

i haven't read much, but the impression i'm getting is, yes, the sam slammers LOVE it. they love the show, love daniel being front and center, love daniel and vala, yadda, yadda

there were parts of avalon 2 that we ok. they set up lam, and hinted at her relationship with landry
                                they set up the coming jaffa storyline
                                they teased the orii
                                dr lee had some great parts

but

and there had to be a but. it was slow. I think a good part of the problem is, long time fans of the show are expecting a series kickoff. and what we're getting is a pilot. and a very clumsy one at that.

we're getting told in ceaseless detail how great cam is. vala is being used as a vehicle to interject some humor and to, hopefully, drag in some farscape fans.

they're doing little more than putting the pieces on the board.

last night i was excited at 7....then cringed my way through most of the rest of the hour. i thought that atlantis was great and bsg is a kick in the pants.
                                then i started to watch the second airing of sg and made it about half way before i turned off the set.

maybe it's the absence of sam. but right now the show has almost zero appeal to me.

i really don't care to play in the episode threads because most of the comments, other than the 'we don't miss sam' ones are all the farscape fans shouting for joy...and persnally i feel more than a little, i guess left out. because i feel like the show folk are doing little more than pandering to the scapers and us longtime stargate fans can just go jump off a bridge...cause we don't matter anymore.

those of us that like the show are ok. those of us that don't have 'issues' or are too unintelligent to understand the greatness that is the new show.

i feel like i've been told to bugger off. and if that's how the show's staff feel about me, then hey, why should i feel any better about them?
                                you don't care if i watch or what my opinions are, then i really don't care if i watch.
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X