Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by golfbooy

Which brings me to admit another aspect of fandom that eludes my understanding. The same fans who rip Sam to shreds for her actions with Pete and with Jack absolutely adore Vala, not only despite, but actually because of the fact that Vala is the epitome of all that is shameful in Sam. To them, the idea of Sam as a sexual person with any kind of romantic entanglements is so denegrating to their grail of SG-1 that they simply cannot make a post without mentioning it in some regard. Yet they watch Vala constantly use her sexuality to acheive her ends and to attract those she's interested in, all the while proclaiming their love of the character, actress, and the act itself. So my big question is, why is Vala empowered by her own sexual self, but Sam weakened by hers? This observation extends beyond any one faction of fandom, and is, in large part, the way I think most people have felt about Sam's character for the past couple of years.
    once upon a time there was a movie called stargate. it focused on jack o'neil and daniel jackson. it then became a tv show, focusing on jack o'neill and daniel jackson, AND sam carter and teal'c. some fans loved the movie so they followed the show, loving the jack and daniel characters the most. some just loved show in of itself, and loved the jack and daniel characters the most. some saw jack and daniel as the leads, with sam and teal'c as supporting players. some felt the jack-daniel friendship was the highlight of the relationships between everyone. and some loved daniel the most.

when sam is focused in eps, some fans feel uncomfortable that it's taking away from daniel.

when the sam-jack angle is highlighted, some feel uncomfortable that it's taking away from the jack-daniel friendship.

from my years in fandom, this is what i feel is the biggest problem for the loudest of the anti-sam folks.

just my opinion.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      *sniff*

you mean...you didn't like my posts???

I put a lot of time and energy into those....

*sniff*

Oh, of course I did. I just couldn't find my "U" with the dots on top, and didn't want you getting your mikta all worked up again -- tee-hee!

Ü is for Über!

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
        I arrived back at the hotel about an hour ago from todays Con events - I have only briefly read over a few post tonight/morning - But I just wanted to stop in for a quick post and say It was so AWESOME watching the season 9 priemer at Comic Con on a big screen, without comercial and with over 1,000 other fans. It was like watching Stargate at a movie theatre. They showed SG1 took a 15 min break showed Atlantis took another 15 min break and then showed Battlestar Galactica. There were SciFi and Sony executives in the back of the room taking in the fans reactions to each episode. Well I'm off to bed I have to get up in 4 hours so we can arrive early for the Stargate Panel tomorrow and get good seats. I'll post pictures and a brief report when I get home tomorrow night - very very late.

That's so cool tsaxlady! It sounds like it was a blast over there! I can't imagine being in a "move theater" setting with a bunch of Stargate fans. Very cool! And it's also interesting that they decided to have some execs from SciFi and Sony there to observe the crowd. I wonder what they thought of the crowd reaction. Based on what you saw, did a lot of people seem to enjoy the premieres. Did anyone boo or hiss at the 10-second openings? Heh heh.

I hope you have a safe trip back home! Take care!

Comment

Here's my regular reminder to everyone:

Round 31 of the Fave Episodes Tournament has begun. The Sentinel was eliminated in Round 30. Let's try to keep Sam-centric episodes from getting the axe! Please keep voting! Catch up on the tourney (and which eps have been eliminated so far) here:
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...&page=69&pp=20

Be careful! If you accidentally vote for an ep that has already been eliminated, none of your votes will count in that round.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Everyone - Well I'm back home and have about 4 hours before a gig so I'm just stopping by for a couple of quick posts on the Comic Con panel today for SG1 and Atlantis - This is not a full report that will come in the next few days but here is a little bit of info along with some pictures - Beware of minor spoilers ahead (I will use spoiler tags).

First off the panel was lead by somebody from TV Guide and he took a little more than half of each panel time asking what for the most part were really lame question. So that did not leav much time for fan questions.

Amanda talked briefly about how much she is enjoyig being a mom and about having Olivia on set with her. Chris interputed AT at one point and she said 'See what I have had to put up with for 9 years' - Brad and Rob said that they are not writting this season like it is the last and there will be a major season ending cliff hanger - so Brad said it will be really bad if there is not a season 10 to resolve what happens at the end of this season. Brad & Rob were asked about a SG1 - Atlantis crossover and they said they have purposefully not done a big cross over yet but
            Spoiler:
            AT will be on Atlantis this season - this was said during the Atlantis panel and when Brad said AT would be on Atlantis David Hewlitt started doing this little dance move and someone asked him what he was doing and he said 'The Amanda Happy Dance'

Okay this one is for all you S/J shipper fans AT was asked 'What about Sam and Jack?' to which she said
            Spoiler:
            they are being purpose fully vague about that - but there are a few phone calls - Basically they are leaving it open were people can draw their own conclusions abot what is happening between them

I was in line to ask about the Sam/Cameron issue when they stopped taking questions - However about an hour after the panel I was down in the exhibit hall at the SciFi booth when I turned around and Ben Browder had walked up behind me so we asked him about Sam/Cameron he said
            Spoiler:
            What and see - with a BIG SMILE on his face - then a few mintues later I ran into Tony Optican (works with SciFi and was the SciFi guy on the panel) so we asked him the same thing and he said with a Big Smile on his face 'wait and see, but I think everyone is going to be happy' - So basically we asked but no one would give an answer other than watch Beach Head

The question about the opening title/theme change was asked at the panel and everyone turned to look at Tony for an answer but he had left the stage before the question was asked - so Brad & Rob said well it would be nice to have more of the Emmy Award nominated Atlantis theme - When we ran into Tony later in the day we asked him about it and he said 'I wish I had not be called away earlier because I would have liked to answer this for everyone - SciFi asked Brad and Rob to cut the opening down to between 30 - 35 seconds this year so they can have more show content - But this was asked very late so the first 4 -5 episodes the extra time will be to promote SciFi channel special programing and then starting with episode 6 each episode will run a little longer - They are not using the time to sell ads - He said it was Brad & Rob that made the opening 10 secs SciFi had asked for a little longer one - The full theme and title will be on the DVD's - they have not finished working on that opening yet.
            Here is one more spoiler about some one we will see this season
            Spoiler:
            It was asked if we would see Hammond this season and Brad & Rob said yes Hammond is back this season in the mid season two parter

Okay that is all for tonight - other than some pictures - more info later
            My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Here are a couple of fun pictures of me and some folks we ran into down in the exhibit hall after the panels - thumbnails due to size -

Comment

Last post before some much needed sleep - these are for you Skydiver - AT and CJ

I have no idea what he wispered in her ear but she was all smiles afterword.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the pictures Tsaxlady, and for sharing what happened at the Con ! Wish I could rep you, but i'm out of green

Amanda looks soooooo happy

Comment

Last post before some much needed sleep - these are for you Skydiver - AT and CJ

I have no idea what he wispered in her ear but she was all smiles afterword.

Thankyou for the wonderful pictures of Amanda and the little snippets of info for s9!
                          ......TARA......

Comment

Amanda! AmAnDa! AMANDA!

Every time I see this beautiful smile it brightens my day.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Edit: Wow, I think seeing all of these photos of Amanda even helped make me to stop caring about the red ding I recieved today!! Three cheers for Tsaxlady!!!

Comment

tsaxlady, thank you so much for these super pictures of Amanda. She looks great, and whenever I see her wonderful smile, it makes me smile! Thanks.
                              sigpic

Comment

Tsaxlady thanks for the Pictures and the spoilers for S9 !!! I look forward to the full report. It sounds like I missed a great Comic Con! Thanks for sharing!

Spoiler:
                                I especially liked what AT said about there were a few phone calls between Sam and Jack. Leaving it up to the viewers I can handle that for now. (hmmm kind of like my sig. suggested)
                                Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 17 July 2005, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X