Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    Okay...this is from MEMORY so please forgive me if I screw it all up...

AVALON SPOILERS
    Thanks to ÜberSG-1Fan and others for their summaries.

Can anyone tell me if DJ and Teal'c had the SG1 or the SGC patches on their uniforms like we saw in the pictures from the 4th ep the name of which escapes me at the moment? I am wondering if DJ and Teal'c are officially back as SG1 or if they are back as a favor to the SGC for the time being and if so how was this addressed?

As I mentioned I could only get through the first 15 minutes or so and had to turn it off - partly I knew vala was coming next and BB was just not cutting it for me. Yes TPTB said he would not be O'Neill and he would not be Crichton but they said nothing about him being a combo of both and that is excatly what I saw "Jack Crichton". It did not work for me. It also seems many liked the fact that he was disappointed that SG1 was no longer together when he got to Landry's office but I just saw that as immature - he did not get what he wanted so he was actually pouting in Landry's office (reminded me of a certain someone who stormed off one morning in a pouty huff because he did not get info he wanted from a certain someone this thread is dedicated to). Please, his line where he started to say something to Landry about that he did not work so hard to what . . . not be with the best team in the business - boo hoo - poor boy. He's supposed to be leader material and the minute he doesn't get what he wants he turns all depressed and pouty, in front of a General no less - that, in my mind, does not show maturity or leadership quality. They had better give Carter back command cuz, in my eyes, everything they wrote about this guy says he is not qualified at this point - certainly not OVER Carter - he's got a lot to learn (from the best in the business), and I will say it again - he NEVER EVEN SAW a Stargate before and that right there says it ALL for me about just who should lead this team when Carter gets back.

Sorry but if they were tryng to convince me they failed and I say again, just as with the PR overload campaign - in the first 15 minutes it was Mitchell overload and when you overload you try too hard and when you try too hard sometimes you fail, IMO, TPTB failed here. (Yes we need some info on hs story but let's be realisitic; too much and too perfect, IMO.) He is waaay too perfect and in my opinion they are trying to make him sound better than Jack, Sam Daniel and Teal'c and I'm sorry but he's not. Congressional medal of Honor - sure as shootin' Carter and O'Neill better have Congressional Medals of Honor on their lapels too or TPTB are way off base with that one, IMO.

I've also seen a lot of descriptions of Mitchell as the kid in the candy store and giddy over the whole thing - definitely says to me he is not ready - excitement is one thing but it sounds like they put Mitchell over the top in kiddie giddy. (Reminds me of all the flack Carter took when she acted all giddy and excited on the Prometheus at the beginning of Grace, and IIRC the same excat description was used by some - not here but in many other places - kid in a candy store - and she was thought to be unprofessional for it. Why is it okay for Mitchell but not Carter?)

Thanks again for all the info and the summaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Spoiler:
      Oh, and I'm not sure if anyone answered bink's question - Carter is quite clearly wearing Silver Maple Leafs when she's presenting Mitchell with his MoH
      Thanks Agent Dark - stupid question because it's late here and a few beers makes my head swim - is that Major or Lt. Colonel? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        My thoughts on the new episode:
        [spoiler] Is anyone else annoyed as heck that Cam, who, admittedly saved SG-1 (and therefore contributed to saving the world) was given the Congressional Medal of Honor whereas NOBODY on the original team has ever been given similiar honors (to our knowledge)? I mean, give me a break! Sam and Jack have been wounded in combat how many times? (I don't see Sam wearing any purple hearts). They've saved the damn planet how many times? They've sacrificed life and limb how often? And CAM gets the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions in one battle?????? Sorry, but I almost came unglued at that part. I'm still miffed, in fact, just thinking about it.
        I hear ya, Strix - I was so irked when I heard that I asked Mallozzi about it on the AJM thread. I will probably get thrown off there for asking so many questions but hey it's a free country and if I have question . . . .

Spoiler:
        Anyone else think they're setting up Walter [snip, snip - spoiler here but I screwed up the spoiler tags and could not figure it out right now so I snipped it for the time being] Or has that been there all along, and I just missed it? On edit: snip, snip.
        Ahh yes I did - the old "homage" bit so they can cover up the fact they do not have any new ideas of their own - I am snarky tonight aren't I? It's got to be the beer.

Comment

gary jones deliberately plays walter harriman as radar. taht's one reason that he got the first name of walter. then they used him last year when he was jack's assistant in a way, and now they're making more of it.

it is a deliberate thing
          i wonder...does that make sam Hot LIps????

ooh, and bink, gold leaves are major, silver are lt colonel, eagles are 'full bird' colonel
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I just wanted to say what great posts I've been reading today.....especially by golfbooy, skydiver, binkpmmc, nell and lida. I seem to be out of green Jello, so I wanted to be sure and pass the word along this way.

Hubby had to work last night, so we watched SG-1 and SGA together this evening. We just finished about 30 minutes ago. He was disgusted at the cut in the credits, as we all were. He also rolled his eyes a lot at Landry and really rolled them at the
            Spoiler:
            King Arthur
            assertions. And he didn't like Vala, but was really glad to see Sam.

Hmmm....I guess that's why I married him! Not really, but we seem of one mind on this, and he's a much more casual fan than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              gary jones deliberately plays walter harriman as radar. taht's one reason that he got the first name of walter. then they used him last year when he was jack's assistant in a way, and now they're making more of it.

it is a deliberate thing
              i wonder...does that make sam Hot LIps????

ooh, and bink, gold leaves are major, silver are lt colonel, eagles are 'full bird' colonel
              Thanks for the info Skydiver. I had not ever seen Walter play it that way so blatantly as he did last night - IMO M*A*S*H was a classic that will go down in the annals of TV history as one of the best ever (if I had to chosse only one TV show to take to a desert Island for the rest of my life it woud be M*A*S*H) and Radar was an absolute joy - seems like a rip-off for Stargate to retread it (in my mind you cannot copy perfection and Radar was perfection in that role). (I am sure that there are others who have also tried to rip off Radar's aura as well and I would feel the same about them - I expected better of those involved in Stargate but, alas, I am getting used to being disappointed by them.)

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                My thoughts on the new episode:
                Spoiler:

I liked Vala a lot. Several of her lines made me laugh. And they didn't get into the physical slapstick/sex/violence routine that annoyed me in PU. CB played Vala perfectly and consistently... I thought it was a excellent performance, and I totally believed her character. (Though I still wish they'd dressed her in something other than black leather.) When Landry asked her how old she was, and she didn't answer, my thought was, I bet she's a lot older than Landry's daughter... Vala was, after all, host to a goa'uld for a while. She could be VERY old indeed.

because of comments like the above, i decided to go back and view vala for real this time (instead of ff through her stuff).

Spoiler:
                she was waaay more laid back then i thought she'd be. i thought it was a sexual remark every minute. it wasn't, and i was pleasantly surprised.

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                  I just wanted to say what great posts I've been reading today.....especially by golfbooy, skydiver, binkpmmc, nell and lida. I seem to be out of green Jello, so I wanted to be sure and pass the word along this way.

Hubby had to work last night, so we watched SG-1 and SGA together this evening. We just finished about 30 minutes ago. He was disgusted at the cut in the credits, as we all were. He also rolled his eyes a lot at Landry and really rolled them at the
                  Spoiler:
                  King Arthur
                  assertions. And he didn't like Vala, but was really glad to see Sam.

Hmmm....I guess that's why I married him! Not really, but we seem of one mind on this, and he's a much more casual fan than I am.
                  *sniff*

you mean...you didn't like my posts???

I put a lot of time and energy into those....

*sniff*

Last edited by Uber; 16 July 2005, 08:53 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Got to capping Avalon for those who wanna see. I've only capped the relevant bits for me tho...

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~wickedgrin/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=22
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                      Thanks to ÜberSG-1Fan and others for their summaries.

Can anyone tell me if DJ and Teal'c had the SG1 or the SGC patches on their uniforms like we saw in the pictures from the 4th ep the name of which escapes me at the moment? I am wondering if DJ and Teal'c are officially back as SG1 or if they are back as a favor to the SGC for the time being and if so how was this addressed?

Spoiler:

From what I can see, Teal'c never wore a BDU with patches in the episode. When he was at the SGC, he wore a black t-shirt. As far as Daniel, the BDU's he's wearing at SGC have a SGC patch not a SG-1 patch. So I do not believe either of them agreed to become members of SG-1 again.

As I mentioned I could only get through the first 15 minutes or so and had to turn it off - partly I knew vala was coming next and BB was just not cutting it for me. Yes TPTB said he would not be O'Neill and he would not be Crichton but they said nothing about him being a combo of both and that is excatly what I saw "Jack Crichton". It did not work for me. It also seems many liked the fact that he was disappointed that SG1 was no longer together when he got to Landry's office but I just saw that as immature - he did not get what he wanted so he was actually pouting in Landry's office (reminded me of a certain someone who stormed off one morning in a pouty huff because he did not get info he wanted from a certain someone this thread is dedicated to). Please, his line where he started to say something to Landry about that he did not work so hard to what . . . not be with the best team in the business - boo hoo - poor boy. He's supposed to be leader material and the minute he doesn't get what he wants he turns all depressed and pouty, in front of a General no less - that, in my mind, does not show maturity or leadership quality. They had better give Carter back command cuz, in my eyes, everything they wrote about this guy says he is not qualified at this point - certainly not OVER Carter - he's got a lot to learn (from the best in the business), and I will say it again - he NEVER EVEN SAW a Stargate before and that right there says it ALL for me about just who should lead this team when Carter gets back.

Spoiler:

I guess I saw things differently. I did not see this as Mitchell pouting because he did not get his way. I saw this as a man who nearly died saving a group of men and women who he truly admired. During one of the flashbacks he is told that there is a possibility that he may never walk again.

I think what futher flashbacks will tell us next week is that, sometime last year Jack went back to see Cameron during his recovery and told him he could have any post he wanted and he wanted SG-1. So he worked his ass off to recoup and join SG-1. Then when he finally gets to transferred he finds out not only does he not get to work with the people he has admired for so long, but he has been thrown into the position of CO of the SG-1. I'm not a huge BB fan, honestly this is the first thing I have ever seen him in, but I was touched by his performance. I think he came across as a man who was truly disappointed. In my opinion, it would be like me going to Gabit to see Amanda and finding out after I arrive that she has cancelled. I would be horribly disappointed.

And I guess I have an issue with your statement that he acts depressed and pouty because I have heard SamBashers on many occassions say things like Sam shows too much emotion therefore she isn't fit to lead the team. I actually liked the idea that they brought in a leading man, who doesn't bury all of his emotions like Jack. Maybe now Sam won't used as the SG-1 crying machine with all the emotional issues.

My feeling is this... none has yet to say that when Sam comes back she won't be leading. They have only said Cameron would be definitely in charge in the first five episodes. However, now we know that he is the leader of a one-man band...SG-Me.

Sorry but if they were tryng to convince me they failed and I say again, just as with the PR overload campaign - in the first 15 minutes it was Mitchell overload and when you overload you try too hard and when you try too hard sometimes you fail, IMO, TPTB failed here. (Yes we need some info on hs story but let's be realisitic; too much and too perfect, IMO.) He is waaay too perfect and in my opinion they are trying to make him sound better than Jack, Sam Daniel and Teal'c and I'm sorry but he's not. Congressional medal of Honor - sure as shootin' Carter and O'Neill better have Congressional Medals of Honor on their lapels too or TPTB are way off base with that one, IMO.

Spoiler:

I know many people are very upset about this entire Congressional Medal thing but there's nothing to say that Sam and Jack haven't already recieved this medal. I don't recall seeing it on Cameron's dress blues. In fact, I think that they are all members of a top secret facility that the odds are that nothing they recieve in terms of special medals goes past the door they recieve it. They probably recieve it in name only. Becuase how would you explain your reason for recieving this particular medal when working with Deep Space Telemetry?

I've also seen a lot of descriptions of Mitchell as the kid in the candy store and giddy over the whole thing - definitely says to me he is not ready - excitement is one thing but it sounds like they put Mitchell over the top in kiddie giddy. (Reminds me of all the flack Carter took when she acted all giddy and excited on the Prometheus at the beginning of Grace, and IIRC the same excat description was used by some - not here but in many other places - kid in a candy store - and she was thought to be unprofessional for it. Why is it okay for Mitchell but not Carter?)

Spoiler:

It shouldn't be this way, but we also shouldn't stoop to these people's level and condemn Mitchell for behaviors and actions that we wouldn't for Sam. I do not believe Sam is unfit because she gets excited once in awhile about things, but neither should I condemn Mitchell for expressing his excitement for it all.

I guess I think back to COTG when Sam took her first step through the Stargate and the look of utter excitement and awe on her face. This was a woman who had been working with the Stargate for years, she understood how it worked, and yet she was excited when she first saw it. Why shouldn't Mitchell be able to experience the same type of wonder and awe?? I know many people are worried about Sam's future and where the writer's are going to take her, but please try to give the guy at least the same chance you would hope that SamBashers would give Sam.

Thanks again for all the info and the summaries.
                      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                        I was pleasantly surprised with how many time AT appeared ..kuddos to TPTB for having her in the episode!
                        i agree! it made the ep for me!

after reading so many differing opinions on the ep and new characters, i decided to be fair and watch the whole thing. i only ff through a small bit here and there, but i know what the characters and their relationships are like.

Spoiler:
                        i *really* like mitchell, and i'm VERY glad they made him and sam not at odds with one another.

i still hope sam gets command back.

like i said in my previous post, i don't dislike vala as much as i did in prometheus unbound. i think it helped that she wasn't using her sexuality 'physically' this time, like she did in pu when the kissed/kicked daniel around.

i'm still not going to watch the sam-less eps, though... there's only so much a fan can lose in one sitting. sam's my linchpin that keeps me glued to the show

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                          Thanks for the info Skydiver. I had not ever seen Walter play it that way so blatantly as he did last night - IMO M*A*S*H was a classic that will go down in the annals of TV history as one of the best ever (if I had to chosse only one TV show to take to a desert Island for the rest of my life it woud be M*A*S*H) and Radar was an absolute joy - seems like a rip-off for Stargate to retread it (in my mind you cannot copy perfection and Radar was perfection in that role). (I am sure that there are others who have also tried to rip off Radar's aura as well and I would feel the same about them - I expected better of those involved in Stargate but, alas, I am getting used to being disappointed by them.)
                          Check out Zero Hour. He did pretty much the same thing for Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            Check out Zero Hour. He did pretty much the same thing for Jack.
                            Yes I know and I did not like it there either - it was IMO much more blatant here and I fear that is what we will get all season. Last season there was so little of Jack and so little of Walter it did not matter but the writing is on the wall with this one and I do not care for it. Stargate used to be an original show - now it's . . . ahhh I don't know what it is now.

Comment

My Feelings about Avalon...the Day After...

WARNING...Spoilers for this episode are included in the following text and I'm just TIRED of seeing pages of LONG WHITED OUT TEXT...

`
                              `
                              `
                              `
                              `
                              `
                              `
                              `
                              `

`
                              `
                              `

>>On a side note, I'm guessing there will be Sam/Cam Shippers....LOL Funny thing is, they'll have the same problem Sam/Jack Shippers had except in reverse. THIS TIME SAM'S THE RANKING OFFICER IN THE COMMAND STRUCTURE. Isn't that a hoot?

is sam really the ranking officer???

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

*sniff*

you mean...you didn't like my posts???

I put a lot of time and energy into those....

*sniff*

*Pats Uber on the head*

There there Uber...it's ok... I liked your picture.

It was a picture wasn't it? Oh wait, no I mean your post.

I liked your post.

"Good Job!!' *Thumbs in the air like Geek!Sam

Comment

Working...
                                X