Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal

you know, with all the 'in my head' fics i've done on this issue, i've never made pete a stalker or killed him off. i think the worst i did to him was make him gay and having an affair with daniel (while still being with sam... it was messy. very messy )

sally
    Holy Hannah! Head for the roundhouse, Danny ... can't corner you there!

I'm heading for the Royal Liquor Cabinet ...

Comment

Some terrific posts these past 24 hours and I can't even begin to catch up tonight ... good work, Samandans!

And, now, the countdown begins ... EST, USA, S9 is about to kick off in less than 24 hours. Here's to positive thoughts and open minds ... to be continued!

Good night all!

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
        Hoping to add a big picture perspective to the discussion regarding people's trepidation and reservations caused by various reviews of Avalon, I figured I'd reprint a post that I previously made on the subject yesterday, I think. This was in response to one review that bemoaned the fact that the addition of Ben Browder and Claudia Black didn't, and seemed would never, result in Stargate SG-1 turning into, yes, you guessed it, Fargate.

I'd also posit that BSG, as creatively reimagined as the show is, is doomed to suffer the same fate as Farscape. I admit to not having watched very much of it at all (how many shows do you think I have time to obsess over?), but from what I've seen, the writers seem to have little sense of structure or any idea, no matter how vague, of where they're trying to take their story. Right now, BSG seems to be alot like Lost. Their producers seem to want to throw every crazy, whacked out, and controversial idea they have on the table up front, damned be future stories. And, while that may lead to riveting television for now, and while the critical acclaim and rabid fans are nice, I just don't see any of it being able to continue for more than two or three seasons. I could be wrong. But the one thing that SG-1 always had going for it was a nice, measured pace. Things weren't always revealed all at once, the characters were gradually developed. The result is a show that's remained a success for eight, going on nine years. SG-1 continues to grow in ratings; I'm willing to predict that ratings will at the very worst remain status quo in season nine. And, most of us have stuck with the show, in spite of any percieved missteps, for a good number of years. It's certainly the longest I've ever been entralled and entertained by television. And, in my book, that's a success story relatively unrivaled.

So, as I perhaps should have said with much greater brevity than I did above, to hell with reviews. Make up your own minds; don't let some guy or gal you've never heard of tell you what's best for you. You're all way, way more informed on the subject of Stargate than any reviewer is.

Ramble on.

GREAT post!

it's nice to hear something nice about stargate (especially when *i* basically dissed it today).

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

you know how i said i would have had sam and jack IN a relay for years if i were one of the writers? it's because i know how it would/could have come off.

i love using Jag as the good/bad example of writing ship. harm and mac were the leads, but we had bud/harriet as the more poignant subplot ship. while bud and harriet lived their lives, harm and mac were stagnate. in the years this show was on, we saw bud and harriet meet, have their first date, fall in love, marry, have a child, miscarry a child, have another child, bud lose a leg... in other words, live a life like everyone else. and what did harm and mac do?... float around in limbo, because the writers were afraid of 'really' changing them. yes, both had 'others' here and there, but neither really progressed in their lives.

if i'd had been the showrunner, i would have NOT done the cliche' thing (stretching the UST to mammoth and ridiculous proportions). and i can't think of one, single long-time UST situation where the characters didn't suffer for it. i would have done away with it and let the character get on with their lives. and NOT have it overwhelm the characters or the show. it didn't with bud and harriet.

i'm sorry if this is too much ship talk for some here, but i'm just trying to show that with dedicated and thoughtful writing, this ship issue wouldn't have been an issue. and sam wouldn't have taken a beating.

sally
          wow, you said it alot better then what was in my mind....

Comment

SCIFI Get Into the Gate is up and running .... good luck to all

Comment

Originally posted by gatebee
              Pity its only open to residents of the US

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                Pity its only open to residents of the US
                that is true ... so sorry about that ..... I think that is because of the plane ticket

Comment

that is true ... so sorry about that ..... I think that is because of the plane ticket
                  Rofl, i'd pay for the plane ticket, if they took care of accomodation and everything

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                    Rofl, i'd pay for the plane ticket, if they took care of accomodation and everything
                    wow , you know that is an idea that you should write to them about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      I just finished reading a very dark Sam fic that I'd really recommend to anyone who enjoys seeing a very different side of Sam. It's called Cauterized People by ALC Punk. A bit of warning though: It's a very dark, sexual, S/J shippy (though not in a sweet or loveable kind of way) fic. It also contains issues regarding rape, abortion and torture, as well as shows a tough, in your face Sam we don't normally get to see. Believe me, you'll have to read it to understand what I'm talking about.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2247988/2/
                      I'm up late because I'm taking Friday off from work, so I indulged myself and read Cauterized People right off the computer. It was an excellent story, although hard to read at first because of the issues ForeverSg1 warned us about above. But it was a very good read, and got less traumatizing as it went along. Very Sam and Jack. I don't think anyone would be disappointed.

Comment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...rit1/shand.jpg
                        is get into the gate that contest to win... getting into the gate?

i love the pic you posted, gatebee. and i'm a bit stumped at what ep it's from. help?

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Sally, what are you still doing up? Aren't you a North American working woman? My excuse: I'm off from work Friday. What's yours?

Comment

is get into the gate that contest to win... getting into the gate?

i love the pic you posted, gatebee. and i'm a bit stumped at what ep it's from. help?

sally
                            yup it is the contest to appear in SG1 and SGA.

the pic I think is from Grace.

Comment

Nightly update from Comic Con - several of you have asked to see pictures of the Card that they are handing out at the Sony booth so here is a pretty poor quality one for now - I will get a better picture posted after I'm home with a scanner. But until here are a couple of thumb nails of the front of the Sg1 and Atlantis card - the back is the same on both cards.

I was at the SciFi booth again today (each day they have a different promo) - I did ask about the change in the intro for this season and the person I talked to said I should come back tomorrow and talk to the suits which will be at the booth for a while on Fri & again on Sat.

Battlestar panel is Friday and Stargate panel is on Saturday - I will report in on the Stargate panel when I get home either late Sat or Early Sun
                              My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

I can't send you any green Jello right now, but thanks for posting these! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the Con!

Comment

Working...
                                X