Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    I agree. Being a non shipper, I enjoyed Jack and Sam relationship in Solitudes because, like you said, it was natural. In fact I enjoyed the fun and light ship and flirting we had in the first seasons. But as soon as it was forced down our throats, I really turned my back and ran away.
    I missed litlle comments such as the "little tank top" one in Broca Devide. That was fun and I understand how the shippers could be pleased with those scenes and it wasn't hard for the non-shippers. Much better than those uncomfortable scenes we had the last two seasons, in my opinion.
    Oh yeah, does were fun.

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    Yeah! The nerve? Wasn't she singing Star Trek: Enterprise's theme song or something? Sheesh...
    Apparently, she wanted to hum the MacGyver theme song, but couldn't remember it. I could have sang it her
    sigpic
    There are only two things to worry about: either you are well or you are sick.
    If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
    If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
    If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      What wonderful and thoughtful responses! Great topic for discussion, MajorSal!

If I was writing/creating the seasons over, I'd

1) Show more of Sam's Adrenaline Junkie side - I'd show Carter in the front seat of an X-302 and I have her do something spectacular, dangerous and heroic while flying. I'd also just show her having fun while flying. I like TH's idea of a shot (with a stunt double for AT) of Carter having fun on her motorcycle. Also liked TH's idea of showing Sam as gunho about skydiving in Watergate.

2) Feature more of Carter's talent to understand the mind-blowing astrophysical phenomena - as well as her love of it (as with Grace's Kid in a Candy Store). I'd take Carter's ability to conceptualize and then implement to the next level and show how she can bridge and/or synthesize vastly different alien technologies. I'd have Carter invent something new - something that uses elements of the technologies from several different alien worlds...e.g., melding Asgard, Ancient, Tollan and Goa'uld technologies and inventing something beyond what any of them had by themselves... something that would make the Asgard go 'whoa!... that's *not* a dumb idea! And, by the way... How does that work?'

3) I'd make more use of Jolinar's legacy - both the memories and the abilities to use Goa'uld tech. I love the idea that Sam would have to deal with (fix) a problem that Jolinar created. Would also have liked to have seen Sam struggle with making the Goa'uld tech work - struggle, but not give up. Another good episode plot would have been for SG-1 to travel to a world where Goa'ulds can't exist (say there's a virus deadly to Goa'ulds or some such there).. and Carter gets gravely ill.

4) I'd have done one of two things with the S/J ship: I'd have either nixed it entirely - say by having Jack or Sam either already be married, or get married early in the series (to someone other than each other). OR, if J/S ship was to happen and be viable, I would have removed the chain of command issue by moving Carter to head SG-2 -- and then having lots of joint missions.... Or have O'Neill retire and become a civilian advisor and/or ambassador to alien cultures such as the Asgard. I would have had Sam become more of Jack's equal so that they would have a chance at a healthy relationship. And, I would have made sure that they dealt with Jack and Sam equally in terms of showing their struggles with that portion of their lives outside of the SGC (instead of concentrating on Sam's and essentially leaving Jack out of it for the last couple of seasons).

5) I'd have had Carter rescue the guys a few times... All out 'Save The Day' scenes like O'Neill had in Desperate Measures where he saves helpless Sam from certain death... or where O'Neill swooped in and saved the day in Avenger 2.0... I'd have had O'Neill get trussed up by Corso in Forsaken and then have Carter have to deal/negotiate his release while he had to sit helplessly in the dirt.

6) I'd have had Carter take out the SuperSoldier in Death Knell.

7) I'd have had a Carter vs. Replicarter showdown where Sam outsmarts RC.

8) Thor would not beam Sam off of his ship in Reckoning before Carter had a chance to do some serious damage to the infiltrating replicators!

9) More small comments about life outside the weekly SGC crises - for all of the team members - instead of the soap-opera arc for Sam in the past couple of seasons.

10) More 'Team Heroics' - where the entire team is integral to the success of the mission... where the entire team is in the same room as they save the day... where the special attributes of each member is absolutely necessary to their success. I would have had all 4 members of SG-1 'go Ancient' in Lost City.

Hmmm... I could continue, but I'll restrain myself and let others chime in before I add to my list.
      OK, 1speed in On-Topic Post Shock!!!

I've been reading the last few days' (and weeks') posts with both interest, and a growing sense of trepidation.

Bearing in mind my limited experience of Stargate thus far (just finished watching "Family"), I'm not personally concerned about S9, mainly because I intend to avoid it completely while I make my way through S1-S8. But I have already come to the conclusion that I would like to see the saga, and the characters, and their relationships, develop along the lines described by astro above, and also by ForeverSg1 and Tok'Ra Hostess in their posts quoted by astro (and OK, by the rest of you quoted there as well).

Unfortunately, I gather this is not to be.

I will admit that to a certain extent, my mind is already set against the whole concept of "shipping" (with apologies to the shippers ). Of course I realise relationships do develop in the "workplace", and that these can have a significant effect on the behaviour and the performance of the parties involved, but I don't want to watch an intelligent (and humourous) sci-fi/military-based adventure descend to the level of a soap-opera because of an over-reliance on this aspect as a "plot-device". Ultimately, I am watching the show as a means of escaping the realities of day-to-day life. I want excitement, adventure, and really wild things (plus of course, explosions ), not a high-tech kitchen-sink drama. By all means be flirty, in a humourous way, but please leave the heavy emotional stuff out of it.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not losing faith, or interest, in Stargate or *Our Heroes* (Go SG-1!!!), but I am wondering at what point I'll start to reminisce about *the good old days*, watching later eps once then never again, while returning time and again to earlier ones.

Whatever, it's going to be interesting for me to see how things do develop as opposed to how I would like to see them develop.

And I've just realised, I think I've said all this in an earlier post. But it was a while back, so please excuse me repeating myself.

Er, sorry, who's soapbox was this again?

Comment

Dear Samandans, this is a scoop ! 1s4S on the soapbox !

Don't worry, my dear 1s4S, you've got lots of marvelous stories to watch and enjoy with fun, explosions, alien discoveries, explosions, adventure, explosions, humour, explosions and intelligent scripts.
        And let's not forget explosions !
        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

OK, you didn't ask for it, but you're going to get it...

With humble apologies to the Royal Accountant who was planning to have some fun with this (at my expense of course), I give you, Ladies and Gentlemen of Samanda...

GEEK!1speed

Please note that those are not Stunt Spectacles, nor is it a specially-trained Stunt Dalmatian. What you see is what you get. Unluckily for you...
          Last edited by 1speed4Sam; 14 July 2005, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian
            Apparently, she wanted to hum the MacGyver theme song, but couldn't remember it. I could have sang it her
            I don't know. Didn't that theme song have quite a bit of brass instruments in it? That can be kinda tricky.

I guess it's nothing a good 80s synthesizer couldn't cure...

Comment

Yeah! The nerve? Wasn't she singing Star Trek: Enterprise's theme song or something? Sheesh...

BTW, I love their opening credits for some reason. I NEVER liked Star Trek, but I appreciate the longevity the franchise had, and it was neat that they arranged the opening credits that way with the "I've Got Faith" song.
              ROFLMOA!!! Oh my gosh, Spaz I almost lost it when I saw your sig. I haven't laughed this hard in ages!! Love it. Great job Lys.

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                OK, you didn't ask for it, but you're going to get it...

With humble apologies to the Royal Accountant who was planning to have some fun with this (at my expense of course), I give you, Ladies and Gentlemen of Samanda...

GEEK!1speed

Please note that those are not Stunt Spectacles, nor is it a specially-trained Stunt Dalmatian. What you see is what you get. Unluckily for you...
                Yay! This is so cool 1speed!

Let's all show pics of real-life Geek!Fans. That'll be fun!
                *scurries over to open an account with photobucket*

Comment

Yay! This is so cool 1speed!

Let's all show pics of real-life Geek!Fans. That'll be fun!
                  *scurries over to open an account with photobucket*
                  Why not ?
                  Since I began the fun , here's Geek!Lys with the special Geek!Sunglasses

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                    Why not ?
                    Since I began the fun , here's Geek!Lys with the special Geek!Sunglasses

*closes eyes Napolean Dynamite style*

Yeessss...

Comment

It pains me to know that I might possibly be the geekiest-looking of us all, and I can't post my pic online.

Comment

It pains me to know that I might possibly be the geekiest-looking of us all, and I can't post my pic online.
                        You can't be geekier-looking than Geek!Daniel in Moebius. It goes against the laws of physics !

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                          You can't be geekier-looking than Geek!Daniel in Moebius. It goes against the laws of physics !
                          You'd be amazed, dear Lys. You'd be amazed.

For starters, I had the glasses BEFORE Moebius aired... in the UK!

A bit OT, but in regards to the SG1 Best Episode Tournament... I'm starting to understand why some of you were so anxious to get us over there and vote.

It's a single vote like this one that disturbs me, and I voted for Prodigy.

The Broca Divide
                          Desperate Measures
                          Divide & Conquer
                          Entity
                          Fallout
                          Forsaken
                          Memento
                          Metamorphosis

Comment

You'd be amazed, dear Lys. You'd be amazed.

For starters, I had the glasses BEFORE Moebius aired... in the UK!
                            And I removed them waaaaayyyy before Moebius aired in an alternate timeline in France, because it hasn't aired yet.

Comment

there's an amanda interview in TV Zone Special #64, Stargates New Seasons 2005. could anyone get a hold of it and transcribe amanda's part?

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

spoilers for s7/s8

Originally posted by Skydiver

and, instead of a boyfriend, i'd like to have seen a semi-recurring character who has to deal with little things like folks going to work in a mountain in janary and coming home with a tan, or having to explain to their sig other what a staff weapon burn is, or why deep space radar telemetry has so many training accidents
                                yeah, you're talking about really exploring an idea that's brought up. take, like sam having a boyfriend that questions what she does, and her mixed feelings on not being able to tell him the truth. instead of seriously exploring it, they took the easy way out and let him find out. and let's not even go into 'how' he found out, and how sam did NOT react to it.

and teal'c, who wanted to live out on his own. how was this explored? the sgc moves teal'c into a bad part of the city, and when teal'c acts like teal'c, they slap his hand and move him back to the moutain. couldn't they, you know, move him into a good area, where probs even 'we' know would arrise wouldn't. or, after the first attept failed, why didn't they give him another chance? they set him up to fail, without really giving teal'c the chance to grow and move past his restraints.

the concepts of sam having a relay outside of the program, and teal'c living outside the mountain are both sound and just, it's the delivery that was poor and character damaging.

and am i the only person that thinks fragile balance was damaging to jack's character? i know that was supposed to be a light and airy ep, but i felt the end result made jack look like an uncaring jerk and pedophile by the end. i know, harsh words, but i felt just as irked about jack at the end of fragile balance as i did about sam at the end of chimera. (teal'c just got screwed over by the end of affinity)

wow, and i'm 'not' in a bad mood.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X