Clear All

Originally posted by NearlyCircular

NC

caption: 'THe new girl is wearing what???????'
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
      Naughty one? I'd like to think I would remember posting a naughty fic (so i can go back and read it of course! )

I did rec an Action/Adventure fic a few pages back which had Sam/Pete in it, and I have no doubt a few ppl here would call that a naughty fic

And I really am gonna try and get thru Code of Honour I'll just have to skip all the shippy stuff and head straight the action
      Agent Dark, as much as I love you, please remember to say instead of the "P Word." Seeing that word in print still traumatizes many of us!

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
      Hey guys, I was just curious:
      How many of you aren't going to watch the show until Beach Head? I kinda wanted to take a poll of some kind, so...

If you will definitely watch all eps leading up to Beach Head, please say, "Yay."
      Yes, I will be watching, because I want to try to keep an open mind (even though I'm very worried about all the changes), and because I don't want to be out of the loop when Sam returns.

Thanks for indulging my bout of curiosity!
      No problem! Glad to oblige!
      Last edited by sg-1fanintn; 13 July 2005, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
        Actually, that's a very interesting question. Off-hand, I'm not sure. I don't enjoy the controversy, even knowing that it will all be resolved in time...

"Sir" and "Ma'am" are an integral part of the military, so if Mitchell outranked her, it would be perfectly appropriate, and it might serve (one would hope) to discourage any thoughts of shipping the two together. And you can get some really interesting stories from the chain-of-command aspect when Sam gets ordered to do something she knows is wrong/stupid. On the other hand, I think I could enjoy a more equal relationship between her and Mitchell. It could loosen her up her personality in the field a bit, I suppose.

So... honestly, I think it wouldn't really matter to me, assuming that the writers handled either scenario in an interesting and appropriate fashion that didn't demean Carter somehow.

Hey Strix varia---thanks for chapter 3 of your sam/janet fic. It was great and I wish didn't have to end!

I think that Historian is right---Mitchell will be the team leader---it frankly is in every report you read!!! I'm getting worn down reading the same thing over and over about Mitchell taking over as new leader after Jack.

I think TPTB wrote season 8 around RDA, thinking it was SG-1's last season, and, I hate to say it, Sam was the leader by default. They didn't want to add a new character then for the team to go much off-world with Sam as leader. Instead, they focused around RDA being general and then tying loose ends to prepare for the end of their last season (or so they thought). I don't think they ever really had any plans to write Sam as a true leader---very sad for me and disappointing---it would have been so good---an extremely sad missed opportunity. I would have admired the writers if they had taken the chance with Sam in season 8---AT could have pulled it off easily, and the character over the last 7 seasons had proven herself to lead. (And darn it, AT wanted to do it too).

Then when they got renewed for a ninth season, TPTB probably thought, oh gee, we CAN'T REALLY have the FEMALE be the LEADER of the team for a whole season going on real live off-world adventures, heaven forbid, so let's add that new character and, voila, Mitchell is born. There won't be an "issue" because they never really SAW Sam as the leader in the first place. (oh, and we have an out---AT is pregnant and will take maternity leave). Sorry for my cynicism!

So now they won't really come out and say that Mitchell will remain the leader after Carter returns, but in fact because they aren't admitting anything, this looks like this is the case. The sad thing is the most fans were ready and willing to see Carter take on the leader role in season 8, and many would have preferred that than the overemphasis on romance for her (and for me the Pete story was way way way too long).

I hope for Carter getting the respect she deserves in how they explain why Mitchell is leader and she is not. I like that she will be soldier/scientist sam again. And I like that at least Carter and Mitchell are the same rank. I think at the very least Carter deserves not having to be subordinate to anyone on the team. She's been the subordinate for so long---it's time to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
          Thanks, also, to everyone else who has posted links to other threads (the Nathan the contest winner thread set me to daydreaming for a while...),
          I know what you mean... lucky sonofa

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
          Agent Dark, as much as I love you, please remember to say instead of the "P Word." Seeing that word in print still traumatizes many of us!
          You mean Pete?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

You mean Pete?

A-a-u-u-u-u-u-g-g-g-g-g-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h! That's !

Comment

Round 29 of the Fave Episodes Tournament has begun. Prodigy was eliminated in Round 28. Grace is already gone, and I don't want to see more Sam-centric episodes eliminated! Please keep voting! Catch up on the tourney (and which eps have been eliminated so far) here:
              http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...&page=64&pp=20

Be careful! If you accidentally vote for an ep that has already been eliminated, none of your votes will count in that round.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian
                I know that I'm gonna make some of you scream. But I don't think that Sam will be the leader of SG-1. What would the newcomer be ? She's the brain, and the leader. Not much space for the new guy. But if she's the brain, and he's the boss !!!

And I think that's precisely why they made mitchell a Lt Colonel. Being on the same foot as Sam, they can call each other by their first name, and be equals and friends, without having to call him 'Sir' every seconds.

They better have a VERY GOOD AND CREDIBLE explanation for not giving her command though
                Unfortunately they don't have to have a very good or credible explanation other than Sam's was made a Lt. Colonel after New Order II whereas Mitchell has been one since the end of Lost City II. This would make Mitchell the ranking officer. No other explanation would be required nor probably given. And as much as I would love Sam to be in charge, I have a nagging suspicion as well that the writers aren't going to write it as such.

I just hope after she is asked to come back for Beach Head, that we at least see something with her and Mitchell where he says something about how happy he is she came back and how much he has been looking forward to be a part of SG-1...ALL of SG-1.

The way I look at it, I really do not see this team behaving in the same manner as we had with Jack as the CO. In the past, Jack was the ranking officer and tactician. At times, he may have taken a hard-nose stance on certain situations and made Sam do things she would rather not have done; however, in most cases than not he looked to her for her scientific expertise to help pull their butts out of the fire.

Unfortunately due to the fact that he was a higher ranking officer, Sam was unable to question his decisions and chose to treat him with nothing but the upmost respect regardless of her personal opinions to his decisions. We never saw her behave towards Jack like Daniel or Teal'c would. They may have respected his command but they were never obligated to obey his command.

However, I am beginning to believe that the writers have gone out of their way to write Mitchell in a way that would allow Sam and Mitchell to co-exist as equals on SG-1. Mitchell may in fact be the leader and perhaps a better tactician than Sam, but I believe he will also be very green in terms of working off-world and will look to Sam for her off-world/scientific knowledge and seek her advice in many situations. They will also be able to speak to one another much less formally than Sam was allowed with Jack and therefore it won't appear so much as a superior/subordinate relationship, but rather one of equals looking at a situation and determining the best course of action.

In the end, yes Mitchell would be Sam's commanding officer and she would have to defer to his decisions; however, like JM said at this point in time it's not an issue...which I am leaning to believe that they have not come to a situation where their opinions are so different that Sam would feel she was being ordered to do something she didn't feel comfortable doing and when that time came, it would definitely be a meaty storyline for both Sam and Mitchell.
                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 13 July 2005, 06:08 PM.

Comment

How many of you aren't going to watch the show until Beach Head? I kinda wanted to take a poll of some kind, so...

If you will definitely watch all eps leading up to Beach Head, please say, "Yay."

If you will not be watching any eps leading up to Beach Head, please say, "Nay."

And if it's all up in the air for you, please say, "Meh."

Just so you know, I'm a "Yay."

I am a Yay
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Unfortunately they don't have to have a very good or credible explanation other than Sam's was made a Lt. Colonel after New Order II whereas Mitchell has been one since the end of Lost City II. This would make Mitchell the ranking officer. No other explanation would be required nor probably given. And as much as I would love Sam to be in charge, I have a nagging suspicion as well that the writers aren't going to write it as such.

I just hope after she is asked to come back for Beach Head, that we at least see something with her and Mitchell where he says something about how happy he is she came back and how much he has been looking forward to be a part of SG-1...ALL of SG-1.

The way I look at it, I really do not see this team behaving in the same manner as we had with Jack as the CO. In the past, Jack was the ranking officer and tactician. At times, he may have taken a hard-nose stance on certain situations and made Sam do things she would rather not have done; however, in most cases than not he looked to her for her scientific expertise to help pull their butts out of the fire.

Unfortunately due to the fact that he was a higher ranking officer, Sam was unable to question his decisions and chose to treat him with nothing but the upmost respect regardless of her personal opinions to his decisions. We never saw her behave towards Jack like Daniel or Teal'c would. They may have respected his command but they were never obligated to obey his command.

However, I am beginning to believe that the writers have gone out of their way to write Mitchell in a way that would allow Sam and Mitchell to co-exist as equals on SG-1. Mitchell may in fact be the leader and perhaps a better tactician than Sam, but I believe he will also be very green in terms of working off-world and will look to Sam for her off-world/scientific knowledge and seek her advice in many situations. They will also be able to speak to one another much less formally than Sam was allowed with Jack and therefore it won't appear so much as a superior/subordinate relationship, but rather one of equals looking at a situation and determining the best course of action.

In the end, yes Mitchell would be Sam's commanding officer and she would have to defer to his decisions; however, like JM said at this point in time it's not an issue...which I am leaning to believe that they have not come to a situation where their opinions are so different that Sam would feel she was being ordered to do something she didn't feel comfortable doing and when that time came, it would definitely be a meaty storyline for both Sam and Mitchell.
                    Just...

GROWL.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

Great post, ForeverSg1! Well said! I really don't want to see Carter in a very obvious subordinate position on the team now. It just doesn't seem right or fair to the character----the way you describe the situation makes it palatable, given the reality of the direction of season 9.

Comment

My two cents on the leadership thing. I think Mitchell's command will end up being kinda ceremonial.. like the queen in England.

Sam is the one with the experience and they've already shown that Mitchell has recognized SG-1 as the best. I think he'll defer to her by reflex given he is the new boy, whether he's technically in charge or not.

I think Sam will have given up SG-1 by choice, hence the mixed emotions on returning. I'm thinking that at the end of Moebius, they were in a place where the team felt it safe to move on to other things. Which means command of SG-1 is something Sam gave up voluntarily. Maybe she moved on to concentrate on stuff she'd wanted to do for years now that the threat seemed removed.

Either way Sam is the team stalwart and the one with the experience. I think she and Mitchell will be on a first name basis and I think he'll refer to her when appropriate. At least I hope so, otherwise there'll be many spoonfuls of sugar involved for me to swallow it.

sigpic

Comment

To all the French Samandans:

Happy Bastille Day!

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth
                            Sam is the one with the experience and they've already shown that Mitchell has recognized SG-1 as the best. I think he'll defer to her by reflex given he is the new boy, whether he's technically in charge or not.

I think Sam will have given up SG-1 by choice, hence the mixed emotions on returning. I'm thinking that at the end of Moebius, they were in a place where the team felt it safe to move on to other things. Which means command of SG-1 is something Sam gave up voluntarily. Maybe she moved on to concentrate on stuff she'd wanted to do for years now that the threat seemed removed.

i think so too. i think that sam, at the end of s8, decided to:

spend time with cassie
                            realized that she's now a 'mother' and needs to have a more stable life
                            decided that she wants a life
                            decided to move on and leave the galavanting to the kids
                            decided to have a future with the man of your choice (or woman)

and willingly quit. she decided to transfer and have a m-f 9-5 job where she's not getting shot at, hunted and nearly killed on a weekly basis.

and i think that she's gonna be recalled to the sgc, not be happy, do her duty regardless and, maybe, decide that she still has a job to do. her duty will again win out.

i think that mitch will hold her, and the rest of sg1, with a bit of hero worship and will be rather 'let's make this work' instead of 'me boss, you subordinate'

i think that he will recognize and acccept that all of sg1 outranks him in a way. they have the experience and knowledge that he just can't match

i don't think it'll be a butting heads relationship, rather a one of equals, with a few tense spots
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by the dancer of spaz:

If you will not be watching any eps leading up to Beach Head, please say, "Nay."

And if it's all up in the air for you, please say, "Meh."

Just so you know, I'm a "Yay."
                              This one is most definitely a "Yay" for me. I've been a fan of SG-1 since the show first started those many, many years ago. Along the way I've been entertained week after week, year after year. In fact, the only thing my brief sojourn into fandom has taught me is that I appartently have a much greater liking for the show as a whole than many others. It's not just one plot, one character, or one actor who intrigue me. I like them all. And it's not just neat technology, big explosions, lots of action, or fantastic special effects that keep me tuning in. SG-1, and I mean all of it, is really something to which I look forward to and from which I derive true pleasure. So, yeah, I'm gonna tune in for all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                i think so too. i think that sam, at the end of s8, decided to:

spend time with cassie
                                realized that she's now a 'mother' and needs to have a more stable life
                                decided that she wants a life
                                decided to move on and leave the galavanting to the kids
                                decided to have a future with the man of your choice (or woman)

and willingly quit. she decided to transfer and have a m-f 9-5 job where she's not getting shot at, hunted and nearly killed on a weekly basis.

and i think that she's gonna be recalled to the sgc, not be happy, do her duty regardless and, maybe, decide that she still has a job to do. her duty will again win out.

i think that mitch will hold her, and the rest of sg1, with a bit of hero worship and will be rather 'let's make this work' instead of 'me boss, you subordinate'

i think that he will recognize and acccept that all of sg1 outranks him in a way. they have the experience and knowledge that he just can't match

i don't think it'll be a butting heads relationship, rather a one of equals, with a few tense spots
                                See I dunno. I see Sam as someone who wouldn't settle for anything less than Stargating across the universe (omg, someone should re-write the lyrics to Star-Trekkin... ). I think she may have taken some temporary leave, but I don't think she'd want to leave for good. Especially not if she still believes she can contribute to the efforts of the SGC.

Comment

Working...
                                X