Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    This brought a question in my mind. Yes, I can ask myself questions.
    If, and with a big if, Vala had to become Sam's replacement, what would be her expertise on the team ?

Sam has always been the scientist of the team before being promoted to the team leader and even as the leader she still was the scientist. Look at It's Good to Be King, Reckoning, Gemini... Who's the one playing with alien technology ? Sam.

On the other hand, we have Vala and what little we know about her. I went and reread the spoilers for the 5 first episodes of season 9.
    Spoiler:
    According to them, Vala is a thief and she's doomed to be bond to Daniel. Why does this remind me of Jack in Broca Divide ? "Daniel, you'll have a girl on every planet". I guess some things don't change. But, going back to Vala's character, I have the feeling that TPTB deliberately don't tell us everything about her, same as they do with Sam. I would feel cheated if her character was only a thief and Daniel's next love interest. She has to bring some contribution to the story. And I don't think her, being a former Goa'uld is her main contribution. We've been told that this season is the Ori's season. Why bringing har character who has more expertize in the Goa'uld if they're out of the picture ?

Going further with this reasoning, I came to the conclusion that there's something missing in the "new team". Mitchell is obviously the soldier and plays the part Jack used to play. Daniel and Teal'c are their old selves and what is the part of Vala ? Is she a scientist ? I don't think so. She seems to me more of the daredevil type. I can't see Mitchell, Daniel nor Teal'c filling Sam shoes on the scientific stuff. Maybe that's why we don't see Daniel and Teal'c wearing the SG1 patches, maybe because there's no real SG1 team and they're just people working together until Sam comes back.

LOL ! I didn't think I could do so much thinking without brain damage.
    Lys, you think very well and I can't dispute your reasoning. If tptb are "grooming" Vala, as a replacement for Sam, I have serious concerns for the future of SG-1. RDA leaving was a great blow, but I believe BB has the charisma and the acting ability to pull off his new role as Mitchell. However, as much as I respect CB, as an actress and a person, she is NOT AT, and her character does not, at least right now, have much to offer the team, except maybe lock picking?
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

OT - I still had the time dilation problem with posts this morning. I must have missed how to bring the world back into focus. So, if anybody else is having the time problem, here are instructions from Shipperahoy in the About The Forum thread. It worked great and I'm back in phase.

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
      It's just a glitch. If you go into My Control and then Edit Options you simply need to refresh your personal time zone settings. That is what I have done and it worked just fine.

I'm sure that there are bound to be more glitches and we are keeping track of all of the glitches that people list in order to fix them. There is a lot going on behind the scenes right now and some snags were to be expected so please be patient with the situation and please come forward with any glitches that you see so that we can pass them on to Greg.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
        Lys, you think very well and I can't dispute your reasoning. If tptb are "grooming" Vala, as a replacement for Sam, I have serious concerns for the future of SG-1. RDA leaving was a great blow, but I believe BB has the charisma and the acting ability to pull off his new role as Mitchell. However, as much as I respect CB, as an actress and a person, she is NOT AT, and her character does not, at least right now, have much to offer the team, except maybe lock picking?
        Wasn't lock picking one of Sam's abilities ?
        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Let's Go to the Movies, Part 2

Sam has always been a team player, and here are some of the other movies where her teammates have starring roles ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...anetDoctor.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11.../MissingJJ.jpg

Look carefully and you'll be sure to see some of our seasonal favorites!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...LivingDead.jpg

And, finally, this one's for you, Sky!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...SamTMatrix.jpg

All of these photoshopping presentations have been created by Geogirl in an alternate universe. Thanks, Geo!

Oh my goodness! That was hysterical! I love it! Blue jello for you!
          sigpic

Comment

Hi, fellow Samandans ... have been away a bit, totally despondent after reading the Beachhead spoiler the other day and, starting with Kat, feeling the same concern for Sam's development as many of you have already expressed. My first impression was shock at the plot: Sam screws up and Vala saves the day. I can only hope that much of this hype does not translate in reality the way it can be interpreted right now.

That, and London, has waylaid my usually high spirits (not to mention some unfortunate encounters of a strange kind with my students). So I just pulled back a bit ... and got re-energized by reading Strix's newest fic (excellent job) and delving into some other recent Samfic mentioned here a few pages back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I started a Stargate marathon of my own ... and, with permission of my close friend, Geogirl, from another scifi forum where we wreak our merry havoc, I am about to present, for you, Samandans, the best of Sam Carter - the Sam that TPTB have been hiding from you! Here's the real scoop ... Sam Carter is in charge and starring in her own part of the galaxy.

Let's Go to the Movies!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...SamDorothy.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...l/SamAnnie.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11.../SamIRobot.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...amStarWars.jpg

BTW, I think we should all get together and rent a theatre and show these films non-stop for the select viewing public who adore Sam! Enjoy!
            ChopinGal, those are really great !

Is there also a shippy version of "Gone With the Wind" with Sam as Scarlett O'Hara and Jack as Rhett Buttler ?

Comment

Hi, fellow Samandans ... have been away a bit, totally despondent after reading the Beachhead spoiler the other day and, starting with Kat, feeling the same concern for Sam's development as many of you have already expressed. My first impression was shock at the plot: Sam screws up and Vala saves the day. I can only hope that much of this hype does not translate in reality the way it can be interpreted right now.

That, and London, has waylaid my usually high spirits (not to mention some unfortunate encounters of a strange kind with my students). So I just pulled back a bit ... and got re-energized by reading Strix's newest fic (excellent job) and delving into some other recent Samfic mentioned here a few pages back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I started a Stargate marathon of my own ... and, with permission of my close friend, Geogirl, from another scifi forum where we wreak our merry havoc, I am about to present, for you, Samandans, the best of Sam Carter - the Sam that TPTB have been hiding from you! Here's the real scoop ... Sam Carter is in charge and starring in her own part of the galaxy.

BTW, I think we should all get together and rent a theatre and show these films non-stop for the select viewing public who adore Sam! Enjoy!
              Thanks for posting these fun manips!

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                This brought a question in my mind. Yes, I can ask myself questions.
                If, and with a big if, Vala had to become Sam's replacement, what would be her expertise on the team ?

Sam has always been the scientist of the team before being promoted to the team leader and even as the leader she still was the scientist. Look at It's Good to Be King, Reckoning, Gemini... Who's the one playing with alien technology ? Sam.

On the other hand, we have Vala and what little we know about her. I went and reread the spoilers for the 5 first episodes of season 9.
                Spoiler:
                According to them, Vala is a thief and she's doomed to be bond to Daniel. Why does this remind me of Jack in Broca Divide ? "Daniel, you'll have a girl on every planet". I guess some things don't change. But, going back to Vala's character, I have the feeling that TPTB deliberately don't tell us everything about her, same as they do with Sam. I would feel cheated if her character was only a thief and Daniel's next love interest. She has to bring some contribution to the story. And I don't think her, being a former Goa'uld is her main contribution. We've been told that this season is the Ori's season. Why bringing har character who has more expertize in the Goa'uld if they're out of the picture ?

Going further with this reasoning, I came to the conclusion that there's something missing in the "new team". Mitchell is obviously the soldier and plays the part Jack used to play. Daniel and Teal'c are their old selves and what is the part of Vala ? Is she a scientist ? I don't think so. She seems to me more of the daredevil type. I can't see Mitchell, Daniel nor Teal'c filling Sam shoes on the scientific stuff. Maybe that's why we don't see Daniel and Teal'c wearing the SG1 patches, maybe because there's no real SG1 team and they're just people working together until Sam comes back.

LOL ! I didn't think I could do so much thinking without brain damage.
                I have a feeling that when we start seeing more and more of Vala's attributes come out we are going to learn that she is extremely intelligent. I mean look at her on the Prometheus, that was not a Gou'ald ship, in her own words the technology was very primative and made it easy for her to gain access to it.

We may not know much about her past, but we do know she was host to a Gou'ald for quite some time, one who portrayed itself as a Goddess(Queen) to the human inhabitants. From what we have seen of other female Gou'alds, they normally don't rule with great force, but rather through extremel intelligence and shrewdness. I'm sure Vala obtained much of the knowledge her symbiote possessed and therefore she probably already obtains more knowledge about Gou'ald technology than Sam does. She may not be able to build a naquadah generator, but I can almost guarantee you she would able to figure out how to use one if need be.

I may be wrong about all this, but from what I saw in PU, Vala definitely looked like she was being written in a way that she could easily replace Sam on SG-1 should AT not want to continue her role on the show. She was not only extremely beautiful, but she was tough, extremely talented escape artist who was capable of taking out at least a dozen USAF officers by herself. Not only did she catch them all off guard once, but at the end of the episode, she escapes and takes out an entire team of SGC Marines a second time. Talk about Superwoman.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  I have a feeling that when we start seeing more and more of Vala's attributes come out we are going to learn that she is extremely intelligent. I mean look at her on the Prometheus, that was not a Gou'ald ship, in her own words the technology was very primative and made it easy for her to gain access to it.

We may not know much about her past, but we do know she was host to a Gou'ald for quite some time, one who portrayed itself as a Goddess(Queen) to the human inhabitants. From what we have seen of other female Gou'alds, they normally don't rule with great force, but rather through extremel intelligence and shrewdness. I'm sure Vala obtained much of the knowledge her symbiote possessed and therefore she probably already obtains more knowledge about Gou'ald technology than Sam does. She may not be able to build a naquadah generator, but I can almost guarantee you she would able to figure out how to use one if need be.

I may be wrong about all this, but from what I saw in PU, Vala definitely looked like she was being written in a way that she could easily replace Sam on SG-1 should AT not want to continue her role on the show. She was not only extremely beautiful, but she was tough, extremely talented escape artist who was capable of taking out at least a dozen USAF officers by herself. Not only did she catch them all off guard once, but at the end of the episode, she escapes and takes out an entire team of SGC Marines a second time. Talk about Superwoman.
                  That's it I think, Superwoman. In my opinion, it was too much in a too short time. Don't take me wrong. I'm well prepared to love Vala and give her as much opportunity to shine in the Stargate universe, but I think her expertise is more on the Goa'uld area. What's this supposed to bring to the team when they're going to deal with the Ori ? And I think the writers didn't do her justice by introducing her character in such manner. They made her a superwoman as you said and that was really unrealistic for me. I don't necessary want Vala to be a superwoman as I don't want Sam to be a superwoman. I think I don't have the right to ask for a realistic Sam with strengths and weaknesses and accept SuperVala.

Comment

When I say Normal Carter I mean the one we've known through out the series. I'm just wondering who you guy like more Moebius (More Geeky, in the air force but not in the actual military) Carter or Normal Carter
                    sigpic

Comment

I like Normal Carter better, and she's hotter, but AT did a good job playing a Geeky Sam.

Comment

like you guys have said, vala's an ex host and there's all those goauld storylines that they didn't want to give to sam that they could give to her. she can replace teal'c as the oh so convenient 'i once heard a story of....' plot moving device.

vala is the blatant sex appeal that AT has enough respect not to be.

vala is the dare devil that sam kinda can be, and yes, lockpick. she used to be a host so she can do the ribbon device, hand device and any other toys.
                        they find themselves in a goauld jail, or in a goauld ship, vala will tap into her past symbiote's memories to know how to fix things

they'll ignore the fact that there's only one military dude leading a 'rag tag team of aliens' and promote that fact.

if they have a need for earth knowledge/sciences, hey super daniel will just know it all. of course, it'll be ok if he suddenly is an expert in biology and the such cause, you know he's daniel and he's special

I have no idea if it will happen, but i can see that, for once, they are laying the groundwork for it.

which could be another reason to cater to the farscape fans. they won't care if it's not a reprise of john/aeryn, they'll just want to see thier actors (and i can't blame them that) and then tptb will count on the scapers and daniel fans to keep the show going while the jack and ship fans are just ignored and let to waunder off on thier own

eh, whatever. see, there's this nifty thing called an off switch...and i know how to use it
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          like you guys have said, vala's an ex host and there's all those goauld storylines that they didn't want to give to sam that they could give to her. she can replace teal'c as the oh so convenient 'i once heard a story of....' plot moving device.

vala is the blatant sex appeal that AT has enough respect not to be.

vala is the dare devil that sam kinda can be, and yes, lockpick. she used to be a host so she can do the ribbon device, hand device and any other toys.
                          they find themselves in a goauld jail, or in a goauld ship, vala will tap into her past symbiote's memories to know how to fix things

they'll ignore the fact that there's only one military dude leading a 'rag tag team of aliens' and promote that fact.

if they have a need for earth knowledge/sciences, hey super daniel will just know it all. of course, it'll be ok if he suddenly is an expert in biology and the such cause, you know he's daniel and he's special

I have no idea if it will happen, but i can see that, for once, they are laying the groundwork for it.

which could be another reason to cater to the farscape fans. they won't care if it's not a reprise of john/aeryn, they'll just want to see thier actors (and i can't blame them that) and then tptb will count on the scapers and daniel fans to keep the show going while the jack and ship fans are just ignored and let to waunder off on thier own

eh, whatever. see, there's this nifty thing called an off switch...and i know how to use it
                          I was a great Farscape fan, and sorry, but I, for one do not wish to see John/Aeryn in Stargate. I really wish people would stop lumping all Farscape fans into one group. I loved both series and was very upset when Farscape was cancelled. However, I do NOT want a reprise of John and Aeryn, and neither do many other "'scapers". They may want Farscape back, but the it isn't going to happen and having BB and CB in Stargate, won't pull in Farscape fans. There was more to Farscape than just BB and CB.

If tptb are planning ahead, and are hoping that Vala will replace Sam, I pray they aren't going to make any new changes to SGA or they will living on their syndication checks. Hey, maybe that's what they want. They've already made their money, they don't need us, the fans anymore.

As for the off switch, I'll use it.
                          On fighting:

Comment

Originally posted by Lys
                            Wasn't lock picking one of Sam's abilities ?
                            Yeppers, that's why I said what I did.
                            On fighting:

Comment

i'm sorry lida, and i don't mean to offend anyone. i know that not every scaper was a fan of hte pair or wants it reprised. many don't, but i'm sure some would be very happy if it were to happen.

i do know that i'm not objective and sam is very much my favorite character. and that does color my perception. however, i do know that sam does garner a lot of the fanbase. very generally speaking, the fanbase was divided into four main groups, some of which overlapped

jack fans
                              daniel fans
                              jack/daniel fans
                              sam/jack fans

well, take away jack and then take away sam, and that takes away much of the appeal for a large portion of the fandom.

some will let thier enjoyment of the show transend who is in it. they will find and embrace new characters. others won't make the transition.

i do think that vala could replace sam should at choose to leave. time will tell if the character is strong enough to have a broad appeal like sam does.

i do know that i'm not fond of how she's been presented thus far in the photos, but i am reserving final judgement until i actually get to see her.

should at choose to leave, well i'll save a lot of money on dvd's even though i will wish amanda nothing but the best and respect her choices. i do think that she has the talent and reputation to have as much or as little of a career as she wishes should she choose to leave
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                i'm sorry lida, and i don't mean to offend anyone. i know that not every scaper was a fan of hte pair or wants it reprised. many don't, but i'm sure some would be very happy if it were to happen.

i do know that i'm not objective and sam is very much my favorite character. and that does color my perception. however, i do know that sam does garner a lot of the fanbase. very generally speaking, the fanbase was divided into four main groups, some of which overlapped

jack fans
                                daniel fans
                                jack/daniel fans
                                sam/jack fans

well, take away jack and then take away sam, and that takes away much of the appeal for a large portion of the fandom.

some will let thier enjoyment of the show transend who is in it. they will find and embrace new characters. others won't make the transition.

i do think that vala could replace sam should at choose to leave. time will tell if the character is strong enough to have a broad appeal like sam does.

i do know that i'm not fond of how she's been presented thus far in the photos, but i am reserving final judgement until i actually get to see her.

should at choose to leave, well i'll save a lot of money on dvd's even though i will wish amanda nothing but the best and respect her choices. i do think that she has the talent and reputation to have as much or as little of a career as she wishes should she choose to leave
                                Sky, please don't apologize, there's no need. Really. I think I'm a tad off today and I'm letting little things get to me. Sam is my favorite too, and as much as I loved Aeryn in Farscape, I don't want Vala to replace Sam. But I guess I don't have much say in it.....and if AT does decide it's time to leave, I too will wish her nothing but the best, but I don't think I'll be able to continue to be a SG-1 fan. Not unless tptb pull a rabbit out their hat, by making the character of Vala into something more they have (to date). As you have said, I'll reserve final judgement until I see the new season.

Have a good evening/afternoon, morning or day everyone.
                                On fighting:

Comment

Working...
                                X