Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    I did a Google search with Shasta and found that there was a Radio Astronomy Laboratory in Shasta County. Do you think Sam spent some time there ?
    You mean like "deep space telemetry" but "deep radio-wave telemetry"? Would they be the same thing?

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
      Okay I know I'm really late at weighing in on this but it was like 9/11 all over again. I left early this morning to run a bunch of errands so I'm ready to leave in the morning for the Stargate Con in Burbank. I did not turn on the TV or computer before I left this morning so I did not hear of the events in London until I stopped to have the oil changed in my car and someone at the auto shop asked my what I thought of what had happened in London. I had to say I don't know what you are talking about - the same thing happened on 9/11 when I had not seen or heard any news until I arrived at work that day. It was about an hour later I got the call from my sister to tell me our cousin had been on United Flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania. So when I heard the news this morning my heart sunk and my thoughts and prayers go out to all those effected by todays events. I'm glad to hear from folks here that you and your families are safe and well.
      I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin. I, unfortunately, was watching the news on 9-11 and saw everything as it happened, but I couldn't believe it. Today, I was away and didn't hear about London until about noon, when someone told me. I was in a state of shock. I have relatives in Surrey and have spent a lot of time in London, esp. in the Russell Square area. I still haven't hear from them or about them, but I'm sure they are fine.

I'm still in a state of shock that this could occur again, in a major city, killing so many innocent people and injuring so many others, and for what?

I'm sorry. I'll stop. I hope all our beloved British Samandans are well and their families also. Please, take care. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

The Union Jack was raised over the State Capitol bldg. in Washington, DC, and then lowered to half mast, as a sign of sympathy and respect.

I hope AT doesn't have relatives still living in London...I know she was born there and must feel terrible right now. I'm rambling......

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        You mean like "deep space telemetry" but "deep radio-wave telemetry"? Would they be the same thing?
        I don't mean "deep space telemetry" but it's still astronomy.
        Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Okay, I just did a name search on Google and the name "Shasta" is of Native-American origin and means "three". ??!!

We now have fizzy soda, radio waves, and the number three!

I think it probably has nothing to do with any of that but something to do with her "hot-dog" super-flying ability (which we've never gotten to see enough of!!) and Cam tagged her for something like that ... that's how she earned his respect in the first place: during combat or flight school.

Comment

Okay, I just did a name search on Google and the name "Shasta" is of Native-American origin and means "three". ??!!

I think it probably has nothing to do with any of that but something to do with her "hot-dog" super-flying ability (which we've never gotten to see enough of!!) and Cam tagged her for something like that ... that's how she earned his respect in the first place: during combat or flight school.
            And see I thought the Shasta quote as being a quip...not having any meaning at all.

It'd be cool if it's true...who knows what the origin is. I'm sure if it's not just a "Joe being silly" moment and really is true, then we'll learn the origin of the nickname...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

... the same thing happened on 9/11 when I had not seen or heard any news until I arrived at work that day. It was about an hour later I got the call from my sister to tell me our cousin had been on United Flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania. So when I heard the news this morning my heart sunk and my thoughts and prayers go out to all those effected by todays events. I'm glad to hear from folks here that you and your families are safe and well.
              Echo your thoughts completely. And belated condolences on your painful loss on 9/11.

Comment

Yeah ... we may need a statue of him in a Roman toga in the Queen's garden!

I like Teal'c with the bald (Yul Brynner for those of you old enough to remember who he was) look myself!
                Deal !

Next part, moving the statue into the Queen's garden !

Here you are ChopinGal ! Another statue in our Queen's garden to please you.
                Last edited by Lys; 07 July 2005, 03:14 PM.
                Kingdom of Samanda : Hic Comitas Regit

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  Oh where, oh where has little Daniel gone... Oh where, oh where can he be???
                  The folks at Sci Fi didn't think we were smart enough to tell him apart from Cam, so they issued a few photos without him.
                  Originally posted by Lys
                  On a side note, don't you think Teal'c's hair is a little...weird ? I mean he looks like a Roman emperor.
                  I don't like it either. I thought S8 hair was good.
                  Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  And see I thought the Shasta quote as being a quip...not having any meaning at all.

It'd be cool if it's true...who knows what the origin is. I'm sure if it's not just a "Joe being silly" moment and really is true, then we'll learn the origin of the nickname...

I like the idea that it was her call sign, but I bet you're right. I bet it's just a quip with no meaning. Sounds like something John Crichton would say.
                  Okay I know I'm really late at weighing in on this but it was like 9/11 all over again. I left early this morning to run a bunch of errands so I'm ready to leave in the morning for the Stargate Con in Burbank. I did not turn on the TV or computer before I left this morning so I did not hear of the events in London until I stopped to have the oil changed in my car and someone at the auto shop asked my what I thought of what had happened in London. I had to say I don't know what you are talking about - the same thing happened on 9/11 when I had not seen or heard any news until I arrived at work that day. It was about an hour later I got the call from my sister to tell me our cousin had been on United Flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania. So when I heard the news this morning my heart sunk and my thoughts and prayers go out to all those effected by todays events. I'm glad to hear from folks here that you and your families are safe and well.
                  I have decided to no longer underestimate man's ability to be inhumane to his fellow man. Terrorists are worse than Goa'uld.

I hope we hear from the rest of the U. K. crowd this evening.....

Comment

To my UK friends...

(((God Bless England)))

Sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      I've been thinking about one of JM's comments regarding Mitchell and Sam.

The one regarding Mitchell calling Sam.... Shasta.

I've been curious if he wasn't in fact being honest and that perhaps Sam and Mitchell know each from way before the SGC, perhaps Shasta is/was Sam's call sign.

So here's a new game. For what reasons do you think Sam might have been given this call sign??

Perhaps during her pilot years, she had an particular liking to diet Shasta cola.

My first thought was that Joe was just being silly... my second was that he was deliberately pulling our legs because he was tired of the questions (of who was going to command)... and my next thought was that it was a pilot's call sign (and a pretty cool one because it's a volcano in California with a summit elevation over 14,000 feet... blurp... small geology commercial there, sorry )... and then the little devil inside me said
                      Spoiler:
                      what if it's a diminutive/deliberate slurring of a Tokra name? But then I told myself that that would be too wrong for Sam Carter's character... back away from the symbiote! Sam will stay human and will not become the lead female alien on SG-1!

Even if Cam doesn't call Sam Shasta (or something close to that), thinking up reasons for it is fun...

--------

My heartfelt thoughts and condolences to all in London and England.
                      Coley and 1speed, and all other UK Samandans, I am grateful to know that you are safe and sound.
                      Last edited by astrogeologist; 07 July 2005, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Good luck to those in London! Hope all are well!!

Just wanted to pop in and show my admiration for the Sam character and the woman who plays her!! I know I very rarely post here, but I do still love this thread. I'm with everyone in here when I say Sam should be in charge of SG1!! She deserves nothing less!

*DROOL*

McKAY: If you're referring to the ship you just shot down, the one that doesn't stand a hope in hell of ever flying again ...

TORRELL: The ship that you're gonna fix, yes.

McKAY: What am I, MacGyver? Fix it with what?

http://www.sgtsiler.com/Nikkirose.html
                        MINE.. ALL MINE!! Mwhahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          My first thought was that Joe was just being silly... my second was that he was deliberately pulling our legs because he was tired of the questions (of who was going to command)... and my next thought was that it was a pilot's call sign (and a pretty cool one because it's a volcano in California with a summit elevation over 14,000 feet... blurp... small geology commercial there, sorry )... and then the little devil inside me said
                          Spoiler:
                          what if it's a diminutive/deliberate slurring of a Tokra name? But then I told myself that that would be too wrong for Sam Carter's character... back away from the symbiote! Sam will stay human and will not become the lead female alien on SG-1!

Even if Cam doesn't call Sam Shasta (or something close to that), thinking up reasons for it is fun...
                          I thought we had talked you out of that idea weeks ago, Astrog! I think it's just been a sad, stressful day, and you're too in touch with your fears tonight.

Comment

Who do you (like better or think is hotter) Normal Carter or the Carter from Moebius?
                            sigpic

Comment

Normal please, when I mean normal I mean seasons 1-6 normal... Heres hope for S9
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

About the Carter/Mitchell issue, j'abandonne. I give up

JM insists on not giving any information. So it makes me believe that it must be pretty important in the storyline. Now, how will it turn out ? I ... have ... no ... idea. We might be very pleased, or very disapointed. But in any case, I'm pretty sure that a good explanation will be given.

So, Shasta is a volcano ? Can it be that our Carter has a bit of an erupting character ? Or maybe when she starts her technobabble, it's like an eruption of words. Apparently MC is a bit of clown, so why not give her, or other characters, nicknames ?

Bonne nuit tout le monde
                                sigpic
                                There are only two things to worry about: either you are well or you are sick.
                                If you are well, then there is nothing to worry about: but if you are sick; there are two things for you to worry about: either you get well, or you die.
                                If you get well, then there is nothing to worry about. If you die: then there are two things to worry about: either you go up or down.
                                If you go up, then there is nothing to worry about. But if you go down, you will be so busy shaking hands with old friends you wont have time to worry.

Comment

Working...
                                X