Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    It's the antsiness! The antsiness I tell you! For the love of all that is sacred and good and Stargate-related!!!

OK... So... I'm a little anxious for this season to start so we can all stop (or continue) worrying! Someone please club me and wake me up on July 14th.
    LOL, Dancer!
    Originally posted by chocdoc
    I read that TV Guide this week has an advertizement with AT and BB that says something like, Get Ready for the biggest Night of SciFi. TV Guide is doing an article in the following week's issue on the three scifi shows. It seems like the picture is a new one of AT. Does anyone have this?
    Royal Blue Jello to the first one who posts a link to the pic and/or article... or transcription thereof

Comment

Originally posted by Atteria
      I'm probably way of line here, but I have to say this. This thread is dedicated to Sam...the character, the actress, her roles, etc. I don't think this is the place to "trash", even in a "nice" way, the character played by Claudia Black, Vala or her costumes (or lack thereof). There are many threads out there doing just that, ad nauseum. I realize we are all getting antsy for the new season to start, and for our wonderful Sam to return, however, let's not sink to the level of some other posters and bash Vala, without even having seen one single new episode, with her in it. If it's as bad as many think it will be, I'll be the first to admit it. Until then, lets continue to focus on our favorite subject, Sam.

Rant over, please resume normal activities.

BTW, Great quotes!
      Atteria, I agree completely with your premise that we shouldn’t rush to judgement about Vala until the season actually starts. That’s what “normal” fans would do. But let’s face it, we’re not normal fans, or we wouldn’t be reading all the forums and obsessing over the few details which are leaked out before the season starts. In this dry spell between seasons, we tend to jump on any tidbit of information which is dealt to us and analyze it to death. I admit it, sometimes all the speculation drives me nuts.

In this case, it seems that the pictures which we’ve seen have really triggered a response, both from oldtimers and from newcomers. Those of us who admired the way that Stargate treated women in the past are concerned that the pictures mean a change in that attitude. Sam and Janet were portrayed as strong, successful individuals who just happened to be women. In the few times they were shown off duty, TPTB didn’t exploit the opportunity by dressing them in a way that might appeal to one part of the audience. They chose to keep the characters “real” and dressed them accordingly. We’ve talked on this thread before about how much we appreciate the fact that Stargate didn’t make the female characters wear skin tight costumes like Star Trek or virtually every other scifi show.

I made the mistake of straying into some of those other threads this weekend and came away very distressed, as I’m guessing you did. Some of the fans coming over from Farscape are reading the worries given above as criticism of the actress and character. Not so. I liked Farscape and Aeryn was my favorite character in it. CB is a good actress, but based on what we saw in PU, if Vala were the lead female on SG1, I would quit watching. I didn’t hate PU, but Vala just doesn’t appeal to me. I’m hoping that the first episodes will change my mind about the character.

BTW, as usual, visiting those other threads just makes me appreciate the positive nature of Samanda so much more.

NC

Comment

Speaking of jumping on every little tidbit of information, here's a Joe M. question and response

Originally Posted by SueS
        Hey Joe,

In S9, which episode would you say has been the best episode for each character (Mitchell, Daniel, Sam, and Teal'c) - i.e. in your opinion which S9 episode have Ben, Michael, Amanda, and Chris done their best work in?

Thanks

SueS

Joe's answer
        Spoiler:

Mitchell - Its a tough choice because Ben took such a beating in Babyon, but I'm going to have to say Avalon I is my pick. I remember watching the dailies and all of us being blown away by Ben's all-out commitment - everything from the swordplay to his offhand, very funny delivery. He made Mitchell a very likable character right from the get-go.

Daniel - I think Michael was terrific in the opening three-parter, but especially so in Origin. We see DJ run the emotional gamut, from flip and fun to fearful and despairing.

Sam - Amanda does a wonderful job in The Fourth Horseman as Sam struggles to help save the world under an incredible emotional strain.

Teal'c - To be perfectly honest, Teal'c has a story arc that runs over the first half of the season that makes it difficult to pinpoint one single episode in this case. Every season, Chris just gets better and better - and he has really flexed his acting muscles in the front-half of season 9.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
          BTW, as usual, visiting those other threads just makes me appreciate the positive nature of Samanda so much more.

SaGC Collection update: It's all printed! Finally! It took a solid week.. and my little inkjet printer is very, very proud of itself! The final collection was 385 pages, printed double-sided and in color. I used high quality, heavyweight 'brochure' quality paper (103 brightness) - where you can print on both sides, but what's on the 'other side' can't be seen when looking at either side of the paper. In some cases I also used glossy photopaper - where there were full page photos and/or photo-art - but I could only do that where there wasn't a photo on the other side (text printed very well on the back side of the photopaper, but photos did not).

And now... it's all at the bindery! Finding a place to bind it turned out to be more of an adventure than I'd anticipated... I wanted it bound like a real book - like my graduate thesis was bound – and having my thesis bound was a snap…. However, when I went to find local binderies around where I now live… I discovered that book binderies are *not* common in towns that don’t have Universities nearby! After several days of driving around and searching the phone book and internet, the SaGC Collection ultimately got a drive to downtown San Francisco… and then a trip over to Berkeley -where it is now in the queue for proper binding! They said it would be a week or two and then they’d call for me to come and pick it up.

Here’s the ‘ultimate’ final version of the SaGC Collection (what was printed and went to the bindery). It includes the additions and changes that folks sent me... as well as Kat's recent wonderful list of Sam quotes and NC's summary list of Sam quotes with audio clips (with a note to insert the CD-ROM to listen to the clips). Because the tome had already been printed, complete with page numbers and table of contents, I inserted the 'new' pages without page numbers. In the PDF file, the inserted pages are numbered with lower case letters (i, ii, iii, iv, etc.) so that the page numbering matches that of the printed version. However, that does mean that when viewed on-screen with the PDF viewer, that the PDF page numbers do not match the printed page numbers in the page headers (and that will probably only make sense to you if you dink around in the PDF file and pay attention to the page numbering).
          Sam Carter and Vala Malduran

Sam wonders if there's more to this Vala person than the "fruit cake" Daniel described last year.
          Vala wonders if there's more to this Sam person than the friend with whom Daniel is infinitely comfortable.
          Sam thinks that Daniel's finally met his match this time - it's a shame Vala can kick his butt so easily. Vala sees that Sam's sizing her up as only an older sister can. Neither is willing to say a word about her findings.
          With his usual grace, Cameron stumbles onto this little standoff and looks from warrior to warrior, clearly confused. "Uh... You guys ready to go save the galaxy?"
          As he turns to go back to meet the guys, he almost misses it when each woman raises a single eyebrow and smirks a deliciously mischievous smirk before following him out of the alien lab. Almost. As it is, now he definitely has something to talk about with Daniel and Teal'c.
          It turns out they were right all along: Both women are just this side of crazy.
          LOL - this is wonderful, dancer!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

SaGC Collection update: It's all printed! Finally! It took a solid week.. and my little inkjet printer is very, very proud of itself! The final collection was 385 pages, printed double-sided and in color. I used high quality, heavyweight 'brochure' quality paper (103 brightness) - where you can print on both sides, but what's on the 'other side' can't be seen when looking at either side of the paper. In some cases I also used glossy photopaper - where there were full page photos and/or photo-art - but I could only do that where there wasn't a photo on the other side (text printed very well on the back side of the photopaper, but photos did not).

And now... it's all at the bindery! Finding a place to bind it turned out to be more of an adventure than I'd anticipated... I wanted it bound like a real book - like my graduate thesis was bound – and having my thesis bound was a snap…. However, when I went to find local binderies around where I now live… I discovered that book binderies are *not* common in towns that don’t have Universities nearby! After several days of driving around and searching the phone book and internet, the SaGC Collection ultimately got a drive to downtown San Francisco… and then a trip over to Berkeley -where it is now in the queue for proper binding! They said it would be a week or two and then they’d call for me to come and pick it up.

Here’s the ‘ultimate’ final version of the SaGC Collection (what was printed and went to the bindery). It includes the additions and changes that folks sent me... as well as Kat's recent wonderful list of Sam quotes and NC's summary list of Sam quotes with audio clips (with a note to insert the CD-ROM to listen to the clips). Because the tome had already been printed, complete with page numbers and table of contents, I inserted the 'new' pages without page numbers. In the PDF file, the inserted pages are numbered with lower case letters (i, ii, iii, iv, etc.) so that the page numbering matches that of the printed version. However, that does mean that when viewed on-screen with the PDF viewer, that the PDF page numbers do not match the printed page numbers in the page headers (and that will probably only make sense to you if you dink around in the PDF file and pay attention to the page numbering).LOL - this is wonderful, dancer!
            Wonderful job Astrog! Thanks again for all your long hours and dedication to get this book created and printed. You've truly outdone yourself!

Comment

It's the antsiness! The antsiness I tell you!
              For the love of all that is sacred and good and Stargate-related!!!

Well, that's my new mantra!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                Wonderful job Astrog! Thanks again for all your long hours and dedication to get this book created and printed. You've truly outdone yourself!

yes, amazing job, AstroG!!! Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Note on TV Guide ad: The picture of AT and BB is in the July 3 issue and will be on newstands this Thursday. (this is just the advertisement for it--in the following issue of July 10, there will be an article on the 3 friday night scifi shows.)

You can see the picture at the Farscape Kansas forum:

forums.scaperoute.com/kansas/ in the Kansas folder. The thread is something like Ben in TV Guide. It really does look like a new picture of AT with Ben, and a really nice one at that.

Comment

Chocdoc......

do you mean that the thread you referenced is on GW? Or is it out there on the web by itself?

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                    Chocdoc......

do you mean that the thread you referenced is on GW? Or is it out there on the web by itself?
                    oh sorry. It is out there on the web, at the Farscape Kansas forum , under Kansas folder.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                      oh sorry. It is out there on the web, at the Farscape Kansas forum , under Kansas folder.
                      Sorry.....can you post a link? I went looking for it, but have no idea where to go once I reach the site. If I had a link, I'd pull the pix, put it in Photobucket and post it for Samandans to see.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                        Sorry.....can you post a link? I went looking for it, but have no idea where to go once I reach the site. If I had a link, I'd pull the pix, put it in Photobucket and post it for Samandans to see.

Don't know how to do that, but here is what to do specifically--i just did it. go to:

http://forums.scaperoute.com/kansas/

go to Kansas Central

got to thread title: TV Guide (7-3) SG-1 ad w/Ben

That should work.

Comment

Here's the picture as copied from the Kansas forum. When I get my TV Guide later this week, if I can get a better scan, I'll post it.

NC

Comment

Hurrah, Nearly Circular! You beat me to it! It does look like a new pix of AT!

Thanks anyway, Chocdoc!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

However, if I have or am offending others when I voice my opinions about the writers clothing choices (or lack there of) then I apologize and will try to hold my tongue until season nine.

Kat
                              hasn't bothered me, kat. you're just discussing your worries for season 9, and hoping to god that this doesn't fall on sam or amanda in any way.

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

I should be getting my TV Guide tomorrow in the mail. Should be interesting.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X