Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    And it'd be different if AT had done the same thing when MS was gone, but she didn't. It really wasn't my intention to compare the two actors or anything, but AT was singing his praises before he left, while he was gone, and right before he came back for S7 - and he was gone for an entire year. I guess I just kinda expected the same thing from them...
    Great post, Dancer!
    Originally posted by jckfan55
    As far as the great patch debate: SG1 is legendary. Maybe they "retire" SG1's number like they do for great football players when they leave. Then when the whole gang is back, they bring the number out again.
    Great idea, jckfan!
    Originally posted by Rogue
    And I am going to be pissed as well if they make Sam look frumpy to make the other look good.
    Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    if they try to sex her up or make her look frumpy in order to sex up the other women around her, I'm going to be frothing at the mouth!!
    What would be cool: Just let AT choose the clothes that Sam wears when not on duty. I trust AT - and I'm OK with civilian Sam dressing a bit sexier than we ever get to see Colonel Carter - if that's how AT wants to dress Sam.
    Originally posted by Atteria
    I knew if I came onto this thread, I'd get a laugh. Thank you jckfan, I got a great one with your quote!

I just popped back to say Hi and to tell you all I miss you all very much. My surgery had to be postponed, as I developed a complication they are treating medically. Right now it looks like the operation will be July 11.....and I'm NOT happy. I'll be in hospital when the new season starts and they don't have cable. If that happens, they are going to have a very grumpy and very unhappy patient on their hands. Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get my new DVD player connected and try to learn how to program it. I REFUSE to miss the season opener, even if Sam still is away.

One brief comment. I agree about the clothing issue. I think the wardrobe being used for Vala is a disgrace. And yes, it DOES look like her uniform is one size too small. Very unprofessional and IMO, demeaning to the character (and the actress). What are TPTB thinking????? And I very much doubt Sam is going to be having a sudden change in wardrobe. As they have already made so many changes for season 9, I couldn't bear it, if Sam were to suddenly look like a "glamour" queen. What has so endeared the character of Carter to me all these years, is that she never looked like she wearing make-up or trying to "capitalize" on her looks. She was there to do a job, period.

Well, my post is not up to the usual standards of this thread, sorry. It's hard to sit in front of the pc right now. I'll try and pop in more frequently until, well, you know. Take care, everyone and keep the light of Sam alive and well.

Oh, I did find a box of blue jello, finally and sent it off last week.
    Good to hear from you Atteria, am sending warm thoughts your way and hope that you are feeling better.
    Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    outfit Sam wore at Jacks... I think it would have been much funnier to have Sam drive up on her motocycle with her leather pants and jacket and helmet in hand... Then not only would Jack be spilling his beer, he would be drooling and watching her walk away as well.
    Sam always managed to look sexy and still be fully clothed. Let's hope they keep things that way in season nine.
    Great idea, Kat!
    Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
    Wow! I ventured out into *other threads* and I'll be glad to stick around here to have a nice normal civil discussion where people may disagree with me, but at least they don't attack!
    Some of the fans are a bit...immature... and I think they need a few behavior-management sessions with Supernanny before being allowed into public... or on public forums.
    I just happen to feel Sam is a great female role model that should be respected and admired for the job she does without trying to use her sex appeal to get what she wants. Whatever happen to women could be sexy without being cheap? That was what I was taught.
    I agree, Ann! Even when Sam dressed a bit sexier in Season 7 (e.g., Chimera), I didn't think cheap (like a hooker or XXX club for men).
    Originally posted by Strix varia
    I don't know about overseas, but here in the states, the commercials I've been seeing while watching Stargate haven't exactly been aimed at young men. I mean, come on... Mr Clean? Swifferjet? Lamisil? Sorry, but those commercials are aimed at *me,* not some randy teenager.
    Good points, Strix... and now I have an image of you with a Swifferjet, a bottle of Mr. Clean and some Lamisil....

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
      These may not be the pictures you meant, bink, but they show the patches.

From The Powers that Be

From Avalon

And just to show what another team's patches look like, I believe the soldier on the left has an SG 12 patch.

NC
      Thanks - those look like the ones. The one of DJ and T is a little hard to see in the version posted here but the SGC is clearly seen when I looked on Thor's site. How did you get that done? I cannot figure it out - the way I tried it failed miserably as no one could see the photos in my post and I am not sure what happened to them or where they actually ended up.

Comment

Did you all catch it???

At the beginning of "It's Good to be King" tonight, we got our VERY FIRST GLIMPSE of Amanda/Sam!

And being the Royal Photographer, I felt bound to record the event to share with my fellow Samandans...

And here's the clip:

http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/samseason9.mov

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Wow! I ventured out into *other threads* and I'll be glad to stick around here to have a nice normal civil discussion where people may disagree with me, but at least they don't attack!

I just happen to feel Sam is a great female role model that should be respected and admired for the job she does without trying to use her sex appeal to get what she wants. Whatever happen to women could be sexy without being cheap? That was what I was taught.
          i'm curious, where are these heated discussions taking place (i want to read the threads)?

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
            I'll join you in that. I admit I'm disappointed. I watched Xena for years and shamelessly enjoyed watching Lucy and Renee running around in skimpy outfits, but it wasn't exactly a show that took itself even remotely seriously. I always thought that Stargate was a tad bit classier than that, and I respected TPTB for resisting the urge to flaunt Sam's cleavage at every available opportunity.

Alas, it does look like they are slowly sliding down the scale of sleeze into Barbarella-dom, which just irritates me the more I think about it. To be honest, it borders on the insulting... to women; to the actresses themselves; to my entire viewing demographic; to the idea that science fiction is a medium that can produce interesting, meaningful stories without relying on sex to draw an audience...

Obviously TPTB are busy trying to court the young male demographic harder than 40-something females like me... but have they looked at their advertisers recently? I don't know about overseas, but here in the states, the commercials I've been seeing while watching Stargate haven't exactly been aimed at young men. I mean, come on... Mr Clean? Swifferjet? Lamisil? Sorry, but those commercials are aimed at *me,* not some randy teenager. Maybe the whole point is that they want to change that, but I still find it sad and pathetic that they feel the need to go that route.
            i'm just hoping vala's outfits are just because of the character's lifestyle/situation, not a sign of things to come for ALL females on stargate. until i see otherwise, i'm going to believe it's not sexing up the show for the guys.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

spoilers for s8's threads

Originally posted by Rogue
              Yeah, I still have nightmares about that sweater/skirt outfit. Sam is a very beautiful woman but that outfit was not flattering on her at all. She looked so plain standing next to Kerry.
              i thought sam looked pretty in her blue sweater outfit. maybe pete asked her to dress up a bit because he had a surprise for her. wait, didn't they pick flowers that day for the wedding? she just dressed up. okay, it was a bit reserved, but ANYTHING sam wears, amanda makes look wonderful!

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                Did you all catch it???

At the beginning of "It's Good to be King" tonight, we got our VERY FIRST GLIMPSE of Amanda/Sam!

And being the Royal Photographer, I felt bound to record the event to share with my fellow Samandans...

And here's the clip:

Thanks for the pic and the link, Uber!

Comment

i didn't have an issue with the sweater set

i mean, look at it this way. the other times we've seen her in civvies in s8 we got the chimera sundress. we got the endgame leather jacket, we got outfits that were rather sexy and sam got soundly trounced for it

also, she was, at least in my opinion, trying to dress the part, the role of a soon to be married woman. someone's who's off the market and isn't dressing to accentuate herself, but to fulfill a role
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Did you all catch it???

And here's the clip:

THANK YOU, uber!

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      Did you all catch it???

I'm fairly certain that this isn't a new image from season nine. It's just a shot of Sam from the Sci-Fi Friday commercial that ran for the second half of season eight. Perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps you all know this already. If so, please forget you ever read this. If not, well, now you do know.

Does anyone know for sure that this is a season nine image, because I really don't think it is?

Comment

Did you all catch it???

And here's the clip:

Thanks for the clip, Uber! I'll go back and watch my video tape now!

Originally posted by golfbooy
                        I'm fairly certain that this isn't a new image from season nine. It's just a shot of Sam from the Sci-Fi Friday commercial that ran for the second half of season eight. Perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps you all know this already. If so, please forget you ever read this. If not, well, now you do know.

Does anyone know for sure that this is a season nine image, because I really don't think it is?
                        If you're right, maybe it shows they've been lurking here.....or got a large shipment of Blue Jello.....and decided to throw us a little reassuring bone.

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                        Some of the fans [on some of the other threads] are a bit...immature... and I think they need a few behavior-management sessions with Supernanny before being allowed into public... or on public forums.
                        You're so right, Astrog! And funny too!

Originally posted by Skydiver
                        i didn't have an issue with the sweater set

i mean, look at it this way. the other times we've seen her in civvies in s8 we got the chimera sundress. we got the endgame leather jacket, we got outfits that were rather sexy and sam got soundly trounced for it

also, she was, at least in my opinion, trying to dress the part, the role of a soon to be married woman. someone's who's off the market and isn't dressing to accentuate herself, but to fulfill a role
                        I didn't mind the sweater set/skirt idea. It was just the color combo. That light color hit her right across the hips, and accented her stomach. A nice teal or darker blue, something closer to the color saturation of her skirt would have been more slenderizing. I just thought it drew attention to the pregnancy instead of masking it.

Comment

Hmm. I hope I didn't go through all that with my digital camera to record a rehash of a promo...

But I think it is because I don't recognize her hair ever being like that...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                            Good points, Strix... and now I have an image of you with a Swifferjet, a bottle of Mr. Clean and some Lamisil....
                            Oh my... no, no that just won't do at all. That is so.... NOT me.

Um... my partner is the one who bought the Swiffer and the Mr. Clean...

My LJ

Comment

well, i thought it was the season 8 promo add thinger too, but i'm just glad they're promoting sam nonetheless!

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

well, i thought it was the season 8 promo add thinger too, but i'm just glad they're promoting sam nonetheless!
                                Any promotion of the show is a welcome enough change from what Sci-Fi has typically put forth. Stargate was Sci-Fi's only true worthwhile endeavor for a number of years, yet the show enjoyed little fanfare, little advertising, and in my opinion, scant praise and thanks from the network. I mean, you'd think once it reached 14 or 15 episodes per week there would have been some kind of recognition on Sci-Fi's behalf that Stargate was shouldering much more than its fair share of the burden.

All ranting aside, let me also express my deepest, most sincere thanks to Sci-Fi for continuing to foot the bill for new seasons of what is my sole reason for owning a TV. Well, that and Mansquito.

Comment

Working...
                                X