Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    I know, I'm weird. So weird that I'm one of the few who liked Emancipation because for me it was the episode where the guys saw Sam for the first time as a soldier who happens to be a woman and not a woman who happens to be a soldier.
    Lys, I liked Emancipation, too, but mainly for Sam's not-gonna-wait-for-the-guys attitude, AND when she kicked Big Bad Chieftain's butt in hand to hand!

But I like the last part of your analysis: I couldn't figure out why the men stared at Sam in the native dress-up. You expressed it well. Just sayin'.

Happy (belated) birthday, Uber. (any cake left? )
    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
    sigpic
    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      But we will have by the time that AT comes back... and those 5 episodes are going to create and establish fan bases for Cameron Mitchell, Vala, Pileggi's character and each of the rest of the new Season 9 characters.

I know what you are saying here, but it is making me think of something else.

I don't see why the fan bases for different characters have to be against each other. That is what is good about this thread---no bashing of other characters to make Sam look better. We like all the members of the team---yes Sam is a favorite, but that doesn't rule out liking other characters because of it. I think this is what surprised me most on one particular forum when I first came online---that some of the fans actually pitted the characters against one another, as if they should be in competition with one another.

I really think the regular viewing audience has room to like both Vala and Carter, for example, and why not. They also will have room to like both Mitchell and Carter (and for that matter Daniel and Mitchell, Mitchell and Teal'c). I am willing to bet that that Ben Browder and Amanda Tapping will have wonderful chemistry---and I don't mean in a shippy sense. They are both so talented---so I am actually looking forward to seeing them interact. Actually, Beau Bridges's relationship to Carter will be interesting to me too -- how will this new commander of SGC view Carter?

gosh, what aboutDr. Lam and Carter, given that she is now the new doctor and Janet is gone. Can't wait to see how that relationship unfolds. Will Sam be a little distant around her at first? Be just professional, but not get too close at first?

Comment

OT, but I wanted to share the poster from the latest issue of the official Stargate SG1 magazine. Maybe you've seen this picture, but I hadn't seen it before and really like it for some reason.

SG-1

NC

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

I don't see why the fan bases for different characters have to be against each other. That is what is good about this thread---no bashing of other characters to make Sam look better. We like all the members of the team---yes Sam is a favorite, but that doesn't rule out liking other characters because of it. I think this is what surprised me most on one particular forum when I first came online---that some of the fans actually pitted the characters against one another, as if they should be in competition with one another.

I really think the regular viewing audience has room to like both Vala and Carter, for example, and why not. They also will have room to like both Mitchell and Carter (and for that matter Daniel and Mitchell, Mitchell and Teal'c). I am willing to bet that that Ben Browder and Amanda Tapping will have wonderful chemistry---and I don't mean in a shippy sense. They are both so talented---so I am actually looking forward to seeing them interact. Actually, Beau Bridges's relationship to Carter will be interesting to me too -- how will this new commander of SGC view Carter?

gosh, what aboutDr. Lam and Carter, given that she is now the new doctor and Janet is gone. Can't wait to see how that relationship unfolds. Will Sam be a little distant around her at first? Be just professional, but not get too close at first?
          Being a big Ben Browder fan to boot, I'll second this. I don't want to be a Sam fan at the expense of all else and I shouldn't have to be.

Sam's my favorite, but I hope and believe I'll really like Cameron. I'm concerned however at the apparent setup by TPTB to create a scenario where one dedicated fanbase is poised to resent another. I could be misreading this (and I truly hope I am) but that's kind of the sense I have...that they want to build up this kind of tension and ultra support for one or the other so that people HAVE to watch what happens to see if "their guy or gal" got shafted or not.

I don't like that...I want to enjoy all aspects of the show. I certainly don't want to resent Ben Browder's character...which I'm all psyched up to do now thanks to the very strong opinions of those who believe that a newbie should essentially win OVER Sam.

I hate that. I want them both to win...sure have conflict, sure have tension (and no I don't mean sexual)...but you can have good storytelling without sacrificing an established character.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1

I think in many ways Sam was much the same way. She may have wanted more out of life for years but just couldn't drop the barriers inorder to do so, and in Grace through her own hallucinations she finally came to the decision that she didnt want to die alone... be that on the Prometheus or at home. She wanted to be with someone, to love and be loved in return. Perhaps she wanted to know that someone would notice if she disappeared or didn't come home. A lot of things go through a persons mind when they think they may be dying. Regrets. Wishes. Dreams. I personally don't consider this to be a failure in Sam's life... if it is then it's a flaw in human nature itself.
            Those are really beautiful sentiments, ForeverSg1. I just wanted to say that before signing off for the night......

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              in my perfect little world...Amanda would announce that she's leaving SG1 and is joining the cast of atlantis.

the bigger cast would make it easier for her to take time off and work a reduced schedule. for me, Atlantis certainly could use another female character and it would put Sam back under the talented control of Brad, who's one writer who has proven himself over and over to be able to write the character with skill and grace
              I could go for that! I'd love to see Sam join that cast. I don't dislike Weir - and have grown more fond of her in the latter part of S1 - but I think Sam would be fabulous in that position. Helping run the Atlantis team - coordinating between Shep, et al

There's also the added bonus of McKay - a character that really sparks well with Sam.

I also agree that Brad Wright seems to do a much better job of writing for Sam than RCC. I think RCC is a good writer - I just don't think he's particularly good at writing for Sam. At least judging by some of the episodes that have been solely attributed to his pen.

Just a flyby post here - back to your regular samandaing. (is that a word?)
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

'Either way you look at it, someone's going to lose out'.. and that's what I don't understand about the spoilers leaked for Season 9... why would TPTB want to set up a situation where they have two polarized camps amongst their fanbase - one side that will be pissed if Carter doesn't get command, and another that will be pissed if Mitchell doesn't retain command when Carter returns. I don't understand setting up a situation that creates antagonism amongst the fans.

Either way someone's going to lose out - either Sam is Mitchell's 2IC, or he's hers.

Like you, Uber, I don't understand why a Stargate fan would want the newbie to take command over a long standing character.

I also want to see a woman portrayed as competently in command. With strong men under her command - men that respect her leadership - and show that respect appropriately and professionally. Amanda Tapping could be so wonderfully successful in such a role in Season 9.
                *can't rep you*

great post, astro!

sally
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                  Being a big Ben Browder fan to boot, I'll second this. I don't want to be a Sam fan at the expense of all else and I shouldn't have to be.

Sam's my favorite, but I hope and believe I'll really like Cameron. I'm concerned however at the apparent setup by TPTB to create a scenario where one dedicated fanbase is poised to resent another. I could be misreading this (and I truly hope I am) but that's kind of the sense I have...that they want to build up this kind of tension and ultra support for one or the other so that people HAVE to watch what happens to see if "their guy or gal" got shafted or not.

I don't like that...I want to enjoy all aspects of the show. I certainly don't want to resent Ben Browder's character...which I'm all psyched up to do now thanks to the very strong opinions of those who believe that a newbie should essentially win OVER Sam.

I hate that. I want them both to win...sure have conflict, sure have tension (and no I don't mean sexual)...but you can have good storytelling without sacrificing an established character.
                  Great points, chocdoc and Uber! I don't understand why there couldn't have been a scenario created for Season 9 that did not set up the question of Carter vs. Mitchell in command of SG-1. I really don't understand why that was set up as an issue - and it definitely was and is. Because if it wasn't TPTB would have simply answered the question. For some reason, they are holding back on that information... why? Why polarize the fan base? (because it has - and will continue to become a bigger issue as Mitchell's character is developed strongly over the first of the season).

As Uber stated, I don't like the contention that this issue creates - between the fans - or in myself. I'd much rather have the command issues in SG-1 be straightforward (Mitchell should have been made a Major, or it should be made clear that Sam has seniority over him) and not setting Sam at odds with any of the new characters. Sam should be in command - unless AT doesn't want it because she doesn't want to commit the screen time required for such a role so that she can spend more time with her new baby. I can't conceive of another reason that is acceptable for Sam not being in command if she is to stay on SG-1 as a full member of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

I see what you mean, and I absolutely do not want Carter's character sacrificed in any way or I could not continue to watch the show. I think you might have said this earlier, but this type of conflict at forums is probably what TPTB like---alot of interest and intrigue.

I see these strong opinions (such as the thread you mentioned earlier about Mitchell and Carter's leadership) as only coming from a few very opinionated fans, so I tend to ignore them. It seems that most of the posts are more tame and certainly I think most fans that posted so far don't want to see Sam's character sacrificed at the alter of Mitchell, but that is my perception.
                    That doesn't mean all of them want to see Carter in command---some want her focusing more on the science end, and I can respect that. But I think most what a darn good explanation if she is not leading---some storyline that is respectful of the character and that makes sense, given her career aspirations and brilliance.

I don't get the feeling that most BB fans in general are going to feel shafted if Carter gets to lead down the road, or gets to share leadership, but I could be way off on this. One big problem is, TPTB just aren't telling us what is going on---and we are all being driven crazy!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                      OT, but I wanted to share the poster from the latest issue of the official Stargate SG1 magazine. Maybe you've seen this picture, but I hadn't seen it before and really like it for some reason.

SG-1

NC
                      Hmm isn't that a picture from Resurrection with Barrett taken out? Or one very similiar to it?? The picture of AT looks like it's from Resurrection to me. Cool pic though.

Comment

You know, when I first read your comment, I thought, noooo. I like Atlantis, but I am not emotionally invested in it---I wish I could be and I like some of the storylines. I actually like all the characters, just not enough to get excited about it. But if Sam were to be on Atlantis, I would definitely watch it, and probably stop watching SG1.
                        i felt the same way. i first grimaced and then said, 'but then i'd have to watch that show!'.

but, like you, i'd watch it and quit sg1. i've lost so much with sg1 as it is that the ONLY thing keeping me is sam/amanda. (and a hope for ship) but if sam went to atlantis, i'd follow.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Great points, chocdoc and Uber! I don't understand why there couldn't have been a scenario created for Season 9 that did not set up the question of Carter vs. Mitchell in command of SG-1. I really don't understand why that was set up as an issue - and it definitely was and is. Because if it wasn't TPTB would have simply answered the question. For some reason, they are holding back on that information... why? Why polarize the fan base? (because it has - and will continue to become a bigger issue as Mitchell's character is developed strongly over the first of the season).

As Uber stated, I don't like the contention that this issue creates - between the fans - or in myself. I'd much rather have the command issues in SG-1 be straightforward (Mitchell should have been made a Major, or it should be made clear that Sam has seniority over him) and not setting Sam at odds with any of the new characters. Sam should be in command - unless AT doesn't want it because she doesn't want to commit the screen time required for such a role so that she can spend more time with her new baby. I can't conceive of another reason that is acceptable for Sam not being in command if she is to stay on SG-1 as a full member of the team.

I just don't know. But I guess I don't see this big rift yet between BB fans and Carter fans. And if indeed some BB fans get all huffy about Mitchell losing command when Sam gets back---we'll that amazing since AT/Sam has been on the show eight years, and this is his first year!!! AT is part of the reason why SG1 is so successful.

I do think this---Ben Browder and Amanda Tapping would not want to see the fans pit their characters against each other in an ugly way. From what I've read about what Ben Browder has said thus far, he seems very respectful of the show and the characters. Again, the problem is, we have almost virtually no information on Carter's interaction with him at all. And for that matter, we know little to nothing about Teal'c and Daniel's reaction to Mitchell either in regard to SG1. We have been inundated with information about the FIRST FIVE EPISODES ad nauseam---we need more on Carter in the episodes 6-10!!

Anyway, yes I wish there would not be any conflict between fanbases, but it just seems inevitable in this fandom. I just keep reminding myself that fandom is nothing like the regular viewer out there just enjoying the show--or not.

Comment

(snip)

Actually, Beau Bridges's relationship to Carter will be interesting to me too -- how will this new commander of SGC view Carter?
                            i'm the most looking forward to seeing amanda and beau together. i consider beau a 'movie star', so i want to see him and amanda interacting (even though it'll be through their characters).

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by keshou
                              I could go for that! I'd love to see Sam join that cast. I don't dislike Weir - and have grown more fond of her in the latter part of S1 - but I think Sam would be fabulous in that position. Helping run the Atlantis team - coordinating between Shep, et al

There's also the added bonus of McKay - a character that really sparks well with Sam.

I also agree that Brad Wright seems to do a much better job of writing for Sam than RCC. I think RCC is a good writer - I just don't think he's particularly good at writing for Sam. At least judging by some of the episodes that have been solely attributed to his pen.

Just a flyby post here - back to your regular samandaing. (is that a word?)

Hey keshou---thanks for posting your comments here. I love Sam/McKay interaction too. I don't think the TPTB can resist not having them interacting at some point. Alot of fans like Sam and Mckay! McKay brings out a great side of Sam that I don't think any other character can---a snarky side, maybe? She needs that challenge--to be around another really brilliant scientist that challenges her.

Comment

And I imagine that is entirely possible...and if so, more power to her.

The one thing though that's clued me in that this thankfully might not be the case and that her interest and seriousness level regarding her continued involvement on the show is still very high is how quickly she returned to the set...because I imagine that if she felt it was "too soon" she would not have done so.

Good thing she has her little sweetie with her all day too! Must take some of the stress of losing out to work. Now if that WEREN'T the case, then I'd imagine she'd want to get home to her little darling.

Just guessing here of course...but the last thing I heard her say at the end of Season 8 was how much she was looking forward to leading the team and more offworld missions...more team involvement.

I'm just sayin'...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Working...
                                X