• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=13137
    SyFy Portal winners annouced - Amanda got pipped by Claudia Black
    And asif Prometheus Unbound got best episode... :|
    i just saw the winners. i see a pattern. i'll say no more.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
      I really hate to see that. It appears to validate the direction TPTB have decided to move the show.
      I agree to also be disappointed about PU...I chose BSG's 33...was really hoping that PU wouldn't win and like you said, validate the direction TPTB have apparently decided to move the show...

No disrespect to Amanda, but Claudia did a fabulous job in Peacekeeper Wars...the only reason I didn't vote for her was because I PREFER Amanda and SG-1 over Farscape...

That being said, I'm very sad she didn't win...she did a magnificent job in Season 8 and had a lot on her plate, what with dealing with Fifth, to Ba'al, to Pete, to Replicarter to losing her dad...but we can stand proud, Samandans, as we did our part and voted for our beloved Queen on a daily (or not quite so daily in my case...but a whole bunch) basis!!!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
        I really hate to see that. It appears to validate the direction TPTB have decided to move the show.
        remember, it's the *fans* voting in that thing.

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Weighing in on the Grace discussion, the situation she was in probably had a lot to do with what her subconscious was telling her. She was alone on a ship which was literally falling apart around her. She'd faced almost certain death many times before, but in those other cases she had her team with her, and knew that somehow, they always found a way to get out of the predicament. In Grace, there was no O'Neill prodding her to find a solution, no Daniel to help come up with brilliant ideas, no Teal'c lending her solid support and backup if needed.

In light of those circumstances (and with a massive concussion to boot) she may have believed that this was the end, and so began to think about what could have been. I'm in total agreement with those of you who don't buy into the concept that a single woman must find a mate in order to fulfill her life, but reflecting on her life would be right in character for Sam, who tends to analyze everything. And if she thought she was dying, what better time?

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
            Weighing in on the Grace discussion, the situation she was in probably had a lot to do with what her subconscious was telling her. She was alone on a ship which was literally falling apart around her. She'd faced almost certain death many times before, but in those other cases she had her team with her, and knew that somehow, they always found a way to get out of the predicament. In Grace, there was no O'Neill prodding her to find a solution, no Daniel to help come up with brilliant ideas, no Teal'c lending her solid support and backup if needed.

In light of those circumstances (and with a massive concussion to boot) she may have believed that this was the end, and so began to think about what could have been. I'm in total agreement with those of you who don't buy into the concept that a single woman must find a mate in order to fulfill her life, but reflecting on her life would be right in character for Sam, who tends to analyze everything. And if she thought she was dying, what better time?

NC

Beautifully stated.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
              i just saw the winners. i see a pattern. i'll say no more.

sally
              Yes, definitely a pattern.

Also, given past winners, I was not surprised.

Well, a Saturn and a Leo ain't bad in 2005!

Comment

Disclaimer : I usually run from the “Ask JM” threads with my blood boiling and trying very hard not to be cynical about the “new guy’s” role on SG-1 and the lack of AT’s role. So I will not be offended if everyone skips over this post. I’m just blowing off some steam that has been brewing for a while. I am usually not this cynical … honest I’m not!

Regarding, how the beginning of season 9 would have gone had AT not given birth

Nope, I'm not even going to comment on the question.

“Quite differently in terms of how things would have developed in the first six episodes …”

“Well ... yeah! So my question to JM’s response, you can correct me if I am wrong … didn’t JM and the other writers/producers know that AT was pregnant before the second half of season 8 even aired and before we knew there was going to be a season 9! Therefore, when they were writing/planning season 9 they already knew she wasn’t going to be there and they chose to hire another actor to “fill RDA shoes” (JM’s words not mine).

This “new guy” is basically taking the role of star when they already have three very talented actors/actress that could fill the role as star! I’m getting this from the fact that he is leading SG-1 and the first episodes are about Cameron Mitchell(see I do know the “new guys” name ) and the majority of the promos is about him.

Let's look at RDA, he limited his role so he could spend time with his daughter and he was still considered the leader of SG-1 and then of the SGC. So I’m not convinced that they even need a new leader for SG-1. I guess what I am saying is … why couldn’t they have taken the same route they took with RDA. Introduce the new guy … have Daniel and Teal’c based episodes until Sam returns. When Sam returns she reclaims her role as leader of SG-1 and they reclaim team based episodes. What I fear is that Sam will no longer be in the Air Force when she returns (and to think Jack won't even be around for my shipper side to hope ). Or worse yet, she is still in the Air Force, but no longer in command of SG-1 (that is just a slap in the face). I know all this is cynical speculation on my part based on the bits and pieces from JM’s thread.

I like BB and he was the only reason I watched the few episodes of Farscape … but he as the "new guy" has a lot of convincing to do to win me over on SG-1 and JM’s comments about Sam not being around to have the command stolen from in the first place … isn’t helping his case at all!!!!!!

Okay ranting is over … sorry to intrude and thanks for allowing me to vent.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan
                  Disclaimer : I usually run from the “Ask JM” threads with my blood boiling and trying very hard not to be cynical about the “new guy’s” role on SG-1 and the lack of AT’s role. So I will not be offended if everyone skips over this post. I’m just blowing off some steam that has been brewing for a while. I am usually not this cynical … honest I’m not!

Regarding, how the beginning of season 9 would have gone had AT not given birth

“Quite differently in terms of how things would have developed in the first six episodes …”

“Well ... yeah! So my question to JM’s response, you can correct me if I am wrong … didn’t JM and the other writers/producers know that AT was pregnant before the second half of season 8 even aired and before we knew there was going to be a season 9! Therefore, when they were writing/planning season 9 they already knew she wasn’t going to be there and they chose to hire another actor to “fill RDA shoes” (JM’s words not mine).

This “new guy” is basically taking the role of star when they already have three very talented actors/actress that could fill the role as star! I’m getting this from the fact that he is leading SG-1 and the first episodes are about Cameron Mitchell(see I do know the “new guys” name ) and the majority of the promos is about him.

Let's look at RDA, he limited his role so he could spend time with his daughter and he was still considered the leader of SG-1 and then of the SGC. So I’m not convinced that they even need a new leader for SG-1. I guess what I am saying is … why couldn’t they have taken the same route they took with RDA. Introduce the new guy … have Daniel and Teal’c based episodes until Sam returns. When Sam returns she reclaims her role as leader of SG-1 and they reclaim team based episodes. What I fear is that Sam will no longer be in the Air Force when she returns (and to think Jack won't even be around for my shipper side to hope ). Or worse yet, she is still in the Air Force, but no longer in command of SG-1 (that is just a slap in the face). I know all this is cynical speculation on my part based on the bits and pieces from JM’s thread.

I like BB and he was the only reason I watched the few episodes of Farscape … but he as the "new guy" has a lot of convincing to do to win me over on SG-1 and JM’s comments about Sam not being around to have the command stolen from in the first place … isn’t helping his case at all!!!!!!

Okay ranting is over … sorry to intrude and thanks for allowing me to vent.
                  Please allow me to quote General Jack O'Neill...from Lockdown:

=====================

Daniel: So how's the new job?

Jack: Oy! One crisis after another. This morning the Mess got a shipment of Yukon Gold potatoes instead of the usual Russets.

Daniel: No!

Jack: Oh yes! The Golds don't make for good mash. Consistency's all wrong.

(Daniel looks away, hiding a smile.)

Sam: I hear the new Russian colonel came to see you -- made a pitch to join SG-1.

Jack: Yeah.

Daniel: What'd you say?

Jack: Told ‘em to make French fries instead.

Daniel: About the Russian.

Jack: Oh. Well I made it clear he shouldn't expect preferential treatment, that he'd have to prove himself before I'd consider him for offworld travel.

Sam: He is one of the most highly decorated officers in Russian military history, and he has over twenty years' flight experience.

Jack: And exactly no years in offworld travel. I'm not gonna risk the lives of anyone under my command on a slick résumé.

=====================

I couldn't agree more, Jack.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                    Here's a fic rec for a good story with a strong, *competent* Colonel Sam Carter... also has Sam-whump... and lots of angst... and action/adventure... and J/S ship - my apologies to those who aren't comfortable with that slant - but the solid, competent Sam makes this story well worth reading. Warning, however, the story is not finished yet - but it's already up to 18 chapters and over 65,000 words. Code of Honor
                    Wow, this is a great story! Thanks for the link!

Hugs,
                    Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                      Please allow me to quote General Jack O'Neill...from Lockdown:

=====================
                      Jack: Oh. Well I made it clear he shouldn't expect preferential treatment, that he'd have to prove himself before I'd consider him for offworld travel.

Sam: He is one of the most highly decorated officers in Russian military history, and he has over twenty years' flight experience.

Jack: And exactly no years in offworld travel. I'm not gonna risk the lives of anyone under my command on a slick résumé.

=====================

I couldn't agree more, Jack.

Thank you Uber!!!! I'm off to search the "How to Thread" so I can make that my sig. Oh and Happy Birthday Uber!

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                        Yes, definitely a pattern.

Also, given past winners, I was not surprised.

Well, a Saturn and a Leo ain't bad in 2005!
                        yep.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                          My immediate goal for her however is that she be an incredibly strong, brilliant and snarky SG-1 team leader...and that she saves the world a few more times.
                          I agree! Something along the lines of getting an asteroid to pass through the Earth in order to save us all

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            You and Sal make good points. And I want Sam to have everything she wants in life. Perhaps my view of the ep. has been colored by the Pete debacle.

I did think the point that she had been kind of ignoring her romantic life b/c it had always ended in pain before was very touching and true. Gosh, given her past experiences, you could hardly blame her.

I guess it's just that so often single women are given the message by society that something is wrong with them if they're not married, that that colors my view a bit too. I would love to see Sam happily married. But I'm glad that romance does not seem to be on the agenda for S9.
                            I don't think Grace was saying that Sam needed to have a man in her life to be happy... I think Jacob was saying Sam had to learn to open herself up more and learn to love in order to be happy. Sure she loves her father and brother but obviously they never had a great relationship until Selmac. Sam obviously loves her team mates, but it's still a working relationship and although it appeared that they occassionally got together outside of work, many times Sam seemed to be excluded or exclude herself from these outings. From episodes like Space Race, it is obvious that she kept a lot of her personal life and interests secret from even the members of her team.

A woman doesn't need a man to be happy, but I think everyone needs to love and be loved. Regardless if it's from a husband, lover, or a child and Sam has changed a great deal over the past seven or eight years. I don't think it shows weakness for a woman to get to an age (40yrs) and ask herself if she is really making the right decisions in life. Men are lucky, they can have a child very late in life but a woman really had to decide if they want to have a child of their own by the time she turns forty. Yes she can have one later, but her chances of having issues during pregnancy or with child increases as she gets older.

I think Grace was right on the mark for Sam. She hadn't had very good luck with men in the past and the one man she seemed to care about or allow herself to care about was the one person she couldn't have. As far as Jacob's views was concerned Sam was hiding from love in order to prevent herself from being hurt again. I didn't hear anything from Jacob that I haven't heard from my grandparents and relatives. My sister is 35 and single and everytime a relative calls, the first thing they ask is if she is dating or seeing anyone seriously. It was a just the concerns of a parent who wanted to see his child happy. I just think Sam misunderstood what her hallucination of Jacob was truly trying to tell her.

So in my opinion, Grace was a beautifully written, directed and acted. The problems that arose with Sam later were due to certain writers not really knowing how to write for Sam and taking her down roads that were completely uncharacteristic. It's like they basically wrote her as having a midlife crisis for over a year. I'm just hoping this extended time away from the SGC at the beginning of season nine gave her the time to work out what she was missing in her life and finally get her life back on the right track.
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 19 June 2005, 07:34 PM.

Comment

to have delivered in march, amanda got pregnant in june/july or so, simple math

now i don't know how long she waited to tell them. i've heard rumors that, after the past 2 miscarriages, she kept this pregnancy under her hat for a bit - which i would too.

however, if you watch the end of s8, you can see her start to show. it's especially evident in moebius and citizen joe. IMHO, they knew before the season ended that she was pregnant, and i'm presuming that they too can do the math

now, they probably are right when they say that s9 would have been different had at been a full part. first of all, she'd be in all 20 eps. second of all, i've heard rumors that her 'packing' had to do with her being on daedelus and going to atlantis.

and also, we'd have little to no claudia/vala to deal with

but that's not important now, because things are as they are. if it's the choice between getting s9 as it 'should' have been or having amanda having a lovely healthy baby, hey screw the show.

I do think, however, that some of joe's comments are like comments tptb made at cons a couple of months ago. the ones along the line of 'we listen to the fans' and 'wait until you see it and then tell us what you think'

well, again, it's simple math. we're not gonna see s9 until july15th. which is right about when the show goes on its summer hiatus taping wise. which means that a good portion of the last 10 eps are either plotted or written before we even see the season premiere (heck, we have titles for 17 of the 20 i think). by the time the folks in the states see the second half of the season, it'll be january...and the show will either be cancelled or gearing up for s10.

basically, as nice as it is for them to say that they listen to or take to heart anything we say, or as reasonable as it sounds to say 'wait until yo usee it then give us informed feedback' the time delay means that by the time we see any of the episodes, they're history. They're written 9 months before we see them and taped 6 months before we see them

so while it may sound nice, it's just something nice to say, because time being what it is, it's not possible for anything we say or do after we see the eps to get to them in time for them to do anything
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=13137
                                SyFy Portal winners annouced - Amanda got pipped by Claudia Black
                                And asif Prometheus Unbound got best episode... :|
                                Good Grief! I think I need to go read a good fic to cheer myself up.

Comment

Working...
                                X