Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Token
    For those who have been judging Sam harshly the past couple of years, it gives more fuel to the "Sam-is-wishy-washy" and "Sam-is-pining-over-Jack" arguments.

I'm ready to see Sam in all her glory when she returns!!!!

I think that for the small minority of true "Sam-bashers", it doesn't really matter---they perceive that they already have plenty of fuel to judge Sam harshly, regardless of what clips were left out of Threads.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
      As someone who worked in broadcasting for more than two decades, I've just never seen a "rerun" of a first-run series edited for its second showing. It feels like censorship to me (although I know it isn't). It's just weird and hinky, and in all my years in the industry, I've never EVER seen that done before. I guess there's a first time for everything. I saw the listing on the GW home page that indicated a one hour ep, but since very few new stories have been added this week, I just figured Darren was extra busy and hadn't changed it.

I fired off an e-mail to Sci-Fi asking them to consider showing Threads in its 90-minute version during the SG-1 marathon the week before premiere (July 7, I think). I hope more viewers will too. Actually, I'd really rather see the two-hour version with the scene between Jack and Jacob, but that has never aired anywhere.

I haven't been this angry since I stopped visiting JM's thread! So, I apologize to all for my outburst a few posts back.
      Actually, SciFi also edited down the Atlantis premier when they ran it the second time. I'm not a big Atlantis fan and even I noticed some jarring holes. I don't know how much was cut out, but people were complaining on the Atlantis threads, too.

I tivoed tonights ep, and didn't notice that it was an hour. Now I don't think I'll bother to watch, because from what you've all said, it'll probably really annoy me. It would be interesting to see how much of Danny and Oma got cut, though, if any.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        I think that for the small minority of true "Sam-bashers", it doesn't really matter---they perceive that they already have plenty of fuel to judge Sam harshly, regardless of what clips were left out of Threads.

very true.

to be honest, if folks hate the character no matter what she does, it will be wrong. I firmly believe if they were to write the character out of the show, the bashers would complain that she died too quickly, or too slowly, or that she didn't die at all

They don't like her and are determined NOT to like her and will do anything or think anything to support thier dislike

whatever

i got better things to spend my time and energy on
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
          I guess you're right. It's just that the missing scenes IMHO gave insight into Sam's true feelings about marrying Pete. Sometimes it's important to see the inner conflict of characters instead of using my own imagination or that of fanfic writers. Amanda did an amazing job of showing how confused and conflicted Sam was over the upcoming wedding that I hated for it to end up on the cutting room floor.

Token ~

Comment

HOLY HANNAH!!!!! I can't believe I missed such an important part of the 60-revision!!!

I was watching the beginning of the second broadcast....WHAT?? Doesn't everyone watch it twice??? Anyway, here is the part missing S8 "Threads"
            Spoiler:
            The "previously on" opening starting with the "Divide & Conquer" confession scene and the subsequent scenes from "Grace", "Chimera", and "Affinity" that develop the Sam/Jack/Pete triangle (ugh!). Also missing was the Daniel/Oma/Anubis scenes from "Full Circle" and "Revelations". Also missing was the whole Ba'al and Anubis scene about Anubis confronting Ba'al about Ba'al's betrayal of Anubis, and Anubis revealing his plan to destroy all life in the galaxy.
            Holy Hannah right back at ya! I didn't notice that the "previously on"
            Spoiler:
            opened with D & C.
            More subtle confirmation of J/S?

Comment

I guess you're right. It's just that the missing scenes IMHO gave insight into Sam's true feelings about marrying Pete. Sometimes it's important to see the inner conflict of characters instead of using my own imagination or that of fanfic writers. Amanda did an amazing job of showing how confused and conflicted Sam was over the upcoming wedding that I hated for it to end up on the cutting room floor.
              It does help to see those kind of scenes, because without them, Sam-bashers seem to find the worst possible reasons for her actions.

It reminds me of the scene between Janet and Sam that was cut from Ascension when Sam finds out that she'd cleared her psych evaluation but hadn't been told. AT was unhappy that they cut the scene because it helped to show the motivation for Sam's behavior after that.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                It does help to see those kind of scenes, because without them, Sam-bashers seem to find the worst possible reasons for her actions.

It reminds me of the scene between Janet and Sam that was cut from Ascension when Sam finds out that she'd cleared her psych evaluation but hadn't been told. AT was unhappy that they cut the scene because it helped to show the motivation for Sam's behavior after that.

NC
                there was another time in redemption, where they taped stuff out of order,and in doing that, amanda played sam's dislike of jonas much harsher than she wanted so it's ratehr inconsistent

she goes from 'want to go on a trip' to 'general hammond said.....' to more friendly again

and it's a symptom, in this case, of taping stuff out of order

you know, if htey're gonna do things on the dvd's, what they need to do is include some of these cut scenes. they already exist, there's not much of a time constraint on dvd's (especially now that we're 2 eps shorter per seaosn) and i for one would love to see a 'director's cut' of episodes
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  there was another time in redemption, where they taped stuff out of order,and in doing that, amanda played sam's dislike of jonas much harsher than she wanted so it's ratehr inconsistent

she goes from 'want to go on a trip' to 'general hammond said.....' to more friendly again

you know, if htey're gonna do things on the dvd's, what they need to do is include some of these cut scenes. they already exist, there's not much of a time constraint on dvd's (especially now that we're 2 eps shorter per seaosn) and i for one would love to see a 'director's cut' of episodes
                  I've been thinking about this alot lately...especially now that I have season 3-7 on DVD...

And as much as I LOVE the audio commentaries, they drive me nuts because they'll go on about scenes that were cut and outtakes that were just so funny...in a "too bad YOU'LL never see it" kinda way...

And then there's the Director's Cuts. This really hit home while watching the Full Circle audio commentary...when they were talking about a great scene between Sam and Daniel that was in the original Director's Cut but they had to cut it out because of time...

AND THEN watching Threads tonight...the 1 hour version was just horrible for me to watch because they left out what for me were some of the very scenes that added depth to Sam's decision-making process.

So...the short version of the above would be...ME TOO.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    OK, for those who truly care *UBER* I've mailed my blue jello along with my original letter. I couldn't find Chopin Gal's jello poem to add to my package so I sent a poem I posted eons ago instead.

A Stargate Prayer

Our writers, who art in Vancouver,

ambiguous be thy name.

The Stargate spun

thy will was done

on camera as it was on paper.

Give us this day our glorious Sam.

And forgive her of past transgressions

As we forgive those who decry against her

And lead her not into oblivion,

But deliver her to SG1.

For she is their leader

with the power,

and the knowledge,

for ever and ever.

Amen.

~ ForeverSG1

ForeverSG1!!!!!
                    Your poem rocks It's cool, I love it.
                    In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
                    so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
                    Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
                    Hic Comitas Regit
                    Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                    Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                      Holy Hannah right back at ya! I didn't notice that the "previously on"
                      Spoiler:
                      opened with D & C.
                      More subtle confirmation of J/S?
                      Subtle as a freight train....

For the powers that be, that was practically BLATANT...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

i'm going to play a little game.... take all the episodes we've heard about so far for this new season, and change them ALL into sam eps!

spoilers for s9

first off, i know literally nothing about the eps i'm going to change (because sam isn't in some of them so i barely gave them a pass over).

'avalon', parts one and two: sam is called back to the sgc when an unusual person comes through the gate claiming to be merlin, of arthurian legend. merlin takes sg1 back to his planet, where sam accidently removes the sword in the stone. oops.

'origin': a new bad guy comes into town. under sam's leadership, can sg1 stop the threat in time?

'the ties that bind': sam and teal'c are bound/changed together (by accident), and have to survive overnight on a hostile planet. through their ordeal, the true strength of their friendship comes to fruition.

'the powers that be': agent barrett comes to sam, claiming that the nid are going to kill him. through sam's investigation, she's abducted by the nid and is told she'll live the rest of her life with them... as their guinea pig in experiments. it's found out later that barrett was never their real target. sam was.

'beach head': the 'ori' try to invade earth, and sam's there to kick their collective butts!

'ex deus machina': baal's on earth and sg1 must stop him! but things get sticky when baal captures sam in the process.

'babylon': sg1 go to a planet that seems like the perfect tropical paradise... and we know what happens when things seem too good to be true. when things go bad, it's up to sam to keep sg1, and three other sg teams, alive long enough to get home.

'prototype': someone from sam's past arrives at the sgc. and she just happens to look exactly like sam. can a deascended replicarter really be redeemed?

'the fourth horseman', parts one and two: orlin comes to save sam, when a horrible plague hits the earth.

'collateral damage': what has 9 years of trama and turmoil on sg1 done to colonel sam carter? this episode answers some of those questions, as sam comes to terms with her loses and triumphs.

'convergence': when one of sam's abandoned experiments from area 51 continues without her supervision, another dimension is opened simultaneously with our own. people from sam's past are suddenly alive and kicking.

~~~

i'd like to hear others ideas for an 'all sam, all the time' season 9 ep guide!

sally
                        Last edited by majorsal; 17 June 2005, 09:04 PM.
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cassie
                          My Blue Jello has offical been sent and I think my family offical thinks I'm insane now!

Congrats on your 1300 post Uber!!!!
                          My family AND my friends KNOW I'm crazy now! They don't think I'm acting age appropriate.

Congrats from me also, Uber on 1300 posts!
                          In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
                          so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
                          Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
                          Hic Comitas Regit
                          Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                          Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

Great idea, Sky!
                            Originally posted by majorsal
                            i'm going to play a little game.... take all the episodes we've heard about so far for this new season, and change them ALL into sam eps!

spoilers for s9

first off, i know literally nothing about the eps i'm going to change (because sam isn't in some of them so i barely gave them a pass over).

'avalon', parts one and two: sam is called back to the sgc when an unusual person comes through the gate claiming to be merlin, of arthurian legend. merlin takes sg1 back to his planet, where sam accidently removes the sword in the stone. oops.

'the ties that bind': sam and teal'c are bound/changed together (by accident), and have to survive overnight on a hostile planet. through their ordeal, the true strength of their friendship comes to fruition.

'the powers that be': agent barrett comes to sam, claiming that the nid are going to kill him. through sam's investigation, she's abducted by the nid and is told she'll live the rest of her life with them... as their guinea pig in experiments. it's found out later that barrett was never their real target. sam was.

'beach head': the 'ori' try to invade earth, and sam's there to kick their collective butts!

'ex deus machina': baal's on earth and sg1 must stop him! but things get sticky when baal captures sam in the process.

'babylon': sg1 go to a planet that seems like the perfect tropical paradise... and we know what happens when things seem too good to be true. when things go bad, it's up to sam to keep sg1, and three other sg teams, alive long enough to get home.

'prototype': someone from sam's past arrives at the sgc. and she just happens to look exactly like sam. can a deascended replicarter really be redeemed?

'the fourth horseman', parts one and two: orlin comes to save sam, when a horrible plague hits the earth.

'collateral damage': what has 9 years of trama and turmoil on sg1 done to colonel sam carter? this episode answers some of those questions, as sam comes to terms with her loses and triumphs.

'convergence': when one of sam's abandoned experiments from area 51 continues without her supervision, another dimension is opened simultaneously with our own. people from sam's past are suddenly alive and kicking.

~~~

sally
                            AAAAAA! Sally! This is *GREAT*!
                            Five stars!
                            and 5 Blue Jello Shots!

LOL at "Sam accidently removes the sword in the stone. oops . "

Sally - thanks so much for brightening my evening!

Comment

I just found a BRILLIANT, imo, Replicarter Vid!!!!!

http://www.stargate-mv.de/

Go to Musik Vids, then the top one, that says replicarter... lol.

I remember now why I want Amanda to do more evil!Roles... she's SOOO good at it!!!!

I WANT REPLICARTER BAAACK
                              The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                              |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

spoilers for s9

'origin': a new bad guy comes into town. under sam's leadership, can sg1 stop the threat in time?

~~~

sally
                                another BRAVO BRAVO....

Comment

Working...
                                X