Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lys
    I love Sam and Teal'c friendship too. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I remember reading somewhere that it was a request from AT that the writers developped their friendship on screen as was first seen in Paradise Lost in the locker room scene.
    that's what i heard too, that they pushed for it. In many ways, it makes sense. if there is to be an emphasis on the jack/daniel friendship, why not do it for sam/teal'c as well? Give the two characters something to do rather than just to stand there

If i could write/ask for a fantasy episode, i'd love to see sam and teal'c off world and in some mess. one that depends on both brains and fighting ability to get out of. better yet, something like new ground, but with sam instead of nyan. teal'c having to trust a 'lesser warrior' for his survival
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ok.....it's a little OT.....but I thought you'd want to see this. I just found what I think is the first published photo of TPTB's new ship, and it's what we expected:

I found it on one of the German sites. The link is off this thread:
      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...89#post4303089

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      The only other 'Grace under Pressure' that comes to mind to me is the fact that it is the name of an album by the Canadian rock band Rush.

From JM's blog, it also appears as if they have changed the name of the episode 'Convergence' several times. From Convergence, to Echoes, to Merge and now Ripple Effect. I still believe this is going to be an AU episode. It's suppose to have several interesting guest stars as well... hopefully Teryl and Carmen or maybe JR.

He also writes, "While Damian works on Ethon (Quick! Grab your handy mythology enclopedias!)"...

In Greek Mythology, Ethon was a gigantic eagle. As punishment for stealing fire from Mount Olympus, Zeus had Prometheus chained to Mount Caucasus, where Ethon was set to gnaw on his liver. The liver would regenerate each night, only to be eaten again by Ethon. Ethon was eventually slain by Heracles and Prometheus was released.

I'm assuming since it involves Prometheus it's a SG-1 episode, but not positive.
      Hmmm.....are you sure his liver regenerated? Maybe he was brought back in a sarcophagus each night. If we can go to Camelot, I guess we can go to Greek mythology too!

Yep, things are going down the same road as they always have.

Kill off Marty... never speak of him again.
      Kill off Janet....never speak of her again.

Waste two years dealing with the Sam/Pete/Jack fiasco, have Sam dump Pete, have Jack be dumped by Kerry, have Sam/Jack go fishing and forget it ever happened. Sounds about right.
      Originally posted by majorsal
      and for fans like you and i, uber (sam fans AND shippers), we're being put through the ringer on both our loves!

(feel sorry for us. send us money to make us feel better. okay, send money to uber, send me rda!)

sally
      And the beat goes on.....29 days and counting......

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        Originally posted by tsaxlady
        Here is another new post from Joe's thread

Originally Posted by LOL4JACK
        Hello Joe,

Thanks again for answering our questions... it's very humble that you take your time from your busy schedule to answer us.... many, many, many thanks.

I have several questions if I may:

1.- I understand from previous spoilers that Cameron will be leading SG1 during the first eps, but when Carter is called back to SG1, who will lead?

- You'll have to tune in to find out.

Here is the full post http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost...&postcount=1355
        This is just killing me.
        Same here, Uber!
        Originally posted by Lys
        I'd really like to see more of Sam friendship with the boys in season 9.
        Great idea, Lys!
        Originally posted by Lys
        And of course, I want Sam to save the day
        I vote for Sam saving several days!
        Originally posted by Skydiver
        that's what i heard too, that they pushed for it. In many ways, it makes sense. if there is to be an emphasis on the jack/daniel friendship, why not do it for sam/teal'c as well? Give the two characters something to do rather than just to stand there

If i could write/ask for a fantasy episode, i'd love to see sam and teal'c off world and in some mess. one that depends on both brains and fighting ability to get out of. better yet, something like new ground, but with sam instead of nyan. teal'c having to trust a 'lesser warrior' for his survival
        Great ideas, Sky!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
          Ok.....it's a little OT.....but I thought you'd want to see this. I just found what I think is the first published photo of TPTB's new ship, and it's what we expected:

you know, let them.

if it takes some of the criticism away from amanda, go for it!

in fact, i think it's time that daniel gets himself a girl

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            you know, let them.

if it takes some of the criticism away from amanda, go for it!

in fact, i think it's time that daniel gets himself a girl
            <<<<applause>>>> (I agree, Skydiver)

Comment

Oddly enough I was searching the web for info regarding Brad Wright and the Ripple Effect and found this little excerpt by Amanda.

I recalled reading something about a possible future episode where Carter would have to deal with her past decisions, actions... not sure if it was a real spoiler or someone's hopes and dreams, but this answer from Amanda made me think about it again.

Audience member: (Not clear, but sorta...) Sorry to play the psychologist here a bit here, but I realised a few weeks ago that all of the characters in Stargate all of their family backgrounds are shattered and fractured in some way, all have some very traumatic loss of a primary figure.... (mentions ep where Samantha's loss of mother is featured)... The characters are trying to process this loss. What I'm wondering is whether you feel, I'm asking about the characters, in the long term, all of these trips they make in to other worlds actually help them (handle with?) these unspeakable, horrible losses, and their shutting off from their feelings, or whether you feel it sort of helps them to stay in that world away from that, because they seem to approach these painful issues and then move away from them. As someone said before, science-fiction can be a way of really shutting down feelings (unclear bit), but I think also does somehow try to repair some of them.

Amanda: I have to say, that's a fantastic question. And... I went to the producers when they were offering me an opportunity to write an episode, and came up with something similar to what you're talking about, which was... and I went to Brad Wright and I said, 'what happens to our conscience, what happens in a soldier's conscience and the fact that?... and I mentioned the fact that we'd all had losses, and then we go out and kill, and we look at loss, and we see people dealing with loss, and we don't ever deal with our own. But there's got to be a moment when you lay your head on your pillow at night and say 'I have to process all this. I have to process not only the fact that I have suffered, but that I'm killing people, and I am creating change in worlds that I can't possibly imagine the ripple effect, ten, twenty, a hundred years down the road. And, can't we study the psychology of these characters, the consciousness of these characters?' and he said 'that's really interesting Amanda, but I think it's a little to esoteric for this show.' I don't think it is, cos I think there's a way to tell it that can still be very exciting action-wise but... I think that we're all... all of the characters, with the exception maybe of Daniel because he wears his heart on his sleeve a little more in terms of his loss... we all put up our walls. And I think those walls you'll see are slowly coming down. O'Neill is not so afraid to cry openly about Charlie. Teal'c often deals with his family and the fact that, you know, they're still there, and he can't be with them and... and Sam's probably the worse off in terms of being closed off to that emotionally. Maybe that's why she has such a hard time keeping a fella! (in fun voice!) But, ah, it's a great question. I don't know. I think sci-fi is a great escape, and so therefore our stories, and our characters going on these great adventures is great way of shutting down, because you're just too damn busy. Ah.... but I think that there has to be a moment where that hits, and... that's a great question, cos it's something I talked to Brad about. So.... good question. I'm not sure that I answered that properly. But... okay, thank you.
              Grrrrr…. Brad’s “Too Esoteric.” Bull-loney. We’re not talking about robots or cyborgs (who even if they were… we the viewers would be projecting human emotions and personalities onto anyway in an effort to connect with them…) (But it certainly explains season 9’s direction…)

Kudos to Amanda for asking him that question and pushing that issue with TPTB. I haunt various threads and TPTB’s dropping of storylines and acting like some things never happened, at times, is almost insulting to the fans. I’m thinking of Abyss right now… That was a serious, lengthy torture that Jack went through and they NEVER addressed the emotional impact and consequences of surviving that (probably right up there with losing Charlie for Jack) – it was like it never happened to the character and was just another day at the office. And I’m thinking of Sam too, at the beginning of S8 when she gets plopped out of the Replicator ship and looks no worse for wear, like hey guys let’s go out for a latte – TPTB wrote and filmed it completely disregarding the mental torture she went through at the hands of Fifth and the impact that it had to have had on her. I guess what I’m saying is yes… we know they hopefully seek help or vent to teammates, but there’s a breaking point for each of us and there has to be for these characters too.

‘Course I recently listened to the audio comments for Paradise Lost & the comment was made by one of TPTB {can’t remember which one - I’m at work & the DVD is at home) and they mentioned how they never watch the completed eps… so all they know is what they originally wanted to be in the ep, some of the changes that were made during filming, possibly some made in editing, but they haven’t seen the show as we’ve seen it, so they don’t keep track of the continuity (and therefore the believability) of the eps… I mean heck yes, we want to know (read: SEE) the consequences that result from locking up your morals, your qualms, the *lightness* of your soul, down deep into that dark little room in your mind so you can do the parts of your job that are distasteful or that you hate. These characters have been presented as real people, not superheros, and that means baggage and baggage has to be dealt with unless the baggage splits open and the contents go spewing out all over the place…

It’ true what Amanda said… they have touched on showing some of the more reserved characters’ psyches, but that’s just it -- when it happens it is a skim, a tease, and it’s usually laughed off. And yes, we know their humor and laughter has helped these characters get through a great deal of the ‘ugly’ things they’ve had to do in the current SGC life and in past lives (Jack special ops, Teal’c as First Prime), but there are times, especially when things slow down, after particularly momentous events, when the accumulation of *all* that weighs so heavily on their souls has to be addressed, lest they all head down the path Jack was when the movie picked up…

Oh well. Just some rambling thoughts after reading that snippet (I know you were posting it more for a description of the Ripple Effect, but it got me to thinking about the other stuff.) Thanks for posting it.
              Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
              My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn

D: "SO.... You think you can best me in a fight, eh? Rematch time honey!"
                Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                  Here's yet another Joe M response about tying up loose ends in season 8.

From SueS 1. Does this mean there won't be any comments from Carter or anyone else regarding who she may or may not have been hooking up with while she was away from the SGC?

-There'll be no conversations on who she or any of our team members are hooking up with

2. In a Cult Times interview, regarding romantic relationships, Robert Cooper said, "there isn't as much of that kind of thing going on. It's more like seasons one and two, with big adventures and a lot more story-based stuff." Did feedback from fans who said they wanted to see less romance and more scifi adventure on the show factor into this decision, or was it solely because the show is moving in a new direction and you'll be busy enough as it is dealing with that?

- I'm sure the fans who wanted to see more ship will think they scored a decisive victory in season 8 while fans who want to see less romance think they've scored their own victory in season 9. But the fact is we're just trying to tell the best possible stories for our characters. In the case of season 8, with Rick leaving the show, we wanted to wrap up some loose ends. In the case of season 9, we're setting up new characters and storylines.

3. Assuming that part of the reason S9 won't be delving into any of the character's romantic lives is because you'll be too busy introducing new characters and enemies and establishing those relationships and developing those storylines, does this mean that in the second half of S9, when things have been fairly well estalished, you might delve into some of the character's romantic/personal lives? If so, care to say whose romantic life you MIGHT be exploring, or whose romantic life you'd like to explore?

- Well, we're already well into the second half of season 9 (script-wise) and, so far, there is no romance to really speak of. No kissing. No cuddling. Although, I'm thinking of getting Teal'c a doggie. Does that count?.

NC
                  Teal'c with a doggie, I soooooo want to see that That reminds me of a fanfic (Nine Lives by Iamdragonrider which I recommand by the way ) in which Teal'c buys a hamster and names it Thor

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                  Kudos to Amanda for asking him that question and pushing that issue with TPTB. I haunt various threads and TPTB’s dropping of storylines and acting like some things never happened, at times, is almost insulting to the fans. )
                  I couldn't agree more... ShimmeringStar for President !!

Comment

i dont' think they need to belabour every single mistake/person they lose. do i want to see sam moping for a whole episode over her latest loss?

no

however, a mention would be nice. take s6 for example, daniel, even though he wasnt' in it, was remembered.

just little bits, like sam mentioning to teal'c something about cassie or something like that

i do think that, as it pertains to jack, they tried to deal with it a bit in allegiance when he and jacob had a little chat. i found that scene very jack. he was hurt and hurting but didn't really want to get into it and jacob knew.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
                      Grrrrr…. Brad’s “Too Esoteric.” Bull-loney. We’re not talking about robots or cyborgs (who even if they were… we the viewers would be projecting human emotions and personalities onto anyway in an effort to connect with them…) (But it certainly explains season 9’s direction…)

Kudos to Amanda for asking him that question and pushing that issue with TPTB. I haunt various threads and TPTB’s dropping of storylines and acting like some things never happened, at times, is almost insulting to the fans. I’m thinking of Abyss right now… That was a serious, lengthy torture that Jack went through and they NEVER addressed the emotional impact and consequences of surviving that (probably right up there with losing Charlie for Jack) – it was like it never happened to the character and was just another day at the office. And I’m thinking of Sam too, at the beginning of S8 when she gets plopped out of the Replicator ship and looks no worse for wear, like hey guys let’s go out for a latte – TPTB wrote and filmed it completely disregarding the mental torture she went through at the hands of Fifth and the impact that it had to have had on her. I guess what I’m saying is yes… we know they hopefully seek help or vent to teammates, but there’s a breaking point for each of us and there has to be for these characters too.

‘Course I recently listened to the audio comments for Paradise Lost & the comment was made by one of TPTB {can’t remember which one - I’m at work & the DVD is at home) and they mentioned how they never watch the completed eps… so all they know is what they originally wanted to be in the ep, some of the changes that were made during filming, possibly some made in editing, but they haven’t seen the show as we’ve seen it, so they don’t keep track of the continuity (and therefore the believability) of the eps… I mean heck yes, we want to know (read: SEE) the consequences that result from locking up your morals, your qualms, the *lightness* of your soul, down deep into that dark little room in your mind so you can do the parts of your job that are distasteful or that you hate. These characters have been presented as real people, not superheros, and that means baggage and baggage has to be dealt with unless the baggage splits open and the contents go spewing out all over the place…

It’ true what Amanda said… they have touched on showing some of the more reserved characters’ psyches, but that’s just it -- when it happens it is a skim, a tease, and it’s usually laughed off. And yes, we know their humor and laughter has helped these characters get through a great deal of the ‘ugly’ things they’ve had to do in the current SGC life and in past lives (Jack special ops, Teal’c as First Prime), but there are times, especially when things slow down, after particularly momentous events, when the accumulation of *all* that weighs so heavily on their souls has to be addressed, lest they all head down the path Jack was when the movie picked up…

Oh well. Just some rambling thoughts after reading that snippet (I know you were posting it more for a description of the Ripple Effect, but it got me to thinking about the other stuff.) Thanks for posting it.
                      I know what you mean. I know they want to get action-y stories in there and it isn't a show about personal angst. But the thing is, they write some pretty heavy episodes--like Abyss and New Order--and then pretend there were no personal consequences. They don't have to wallow in it; but as I and others have said here before, *some* acknowledgement would seem to be called for. If they had explored the fallout from Sam's torture by 5th even a little bit on screen, I think we would have had fewer Sam bashers attack her for her actions in Gemini. Intelligent viewers such as us can fill in the blanks, but how much nicer it would have been to see, for example, a short conversation between Daniel & Sam re: her recovery from the experience.
                      If they can carry on long arcs with the Jaffa and Gou'auld (sp?) storylines, you can't tell me that referring to past incidents on an emotional level is too complex. Maybe they need someone on the writing team who is more able to deal with that kind of story. Heck--they managed to reference Sam feeling bad about the "Red Sky" incident in Avenger 2.0 of all episodes, for gosh sakes. How hard would it be do make such a reference in a "real" episode? (Steps off soap box)

Comment

i agree with sam and fifth. even one little scene, maybe teal'c and jack chatting, one of them being concerned about sam dealing with the replicators. or a sam and teal'c bit...just enough to clarify that sam still hasnt dealt with what happened (personally i still feel that she never told the guys what happened, i think she played the 'i don't remember' card

then again, we, as sam fans, are willing to climb into her head and try to reason it out. just as, if some of the sam bashers are jack fans, they'd be willing to take the time to crawl into his psyche. but, in their eagerness to find something 'wrong' they don't even want to consider the mitigating circumstances

their loss

sigpic

Comment

Per Pittsburghgirl on the Sam/Jack Shipper thread:

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
                          Okay-this is according to the official Stargate Magazine from July/August-the official reason given by AT for Sam's leaving the SGC.

Spoiler:
                          Amanda Tapping returns to Stargate SG-1 in the season's fifth episode, having taken off at the opening of the year's filming following the birth of her daughter, Olivia.

"After Janet died, Carter took responsibility Tapping explains. "Cassie has had some problems, so Carter went to spend time with her. That's how I'm playing Carter's decision to leave the SGC."
                          I like that reasoning!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Hi all,

Just a quick fly-by to make sure all's well before I head for the hills tomorrow.

I doubt I'll manage to get online while I'm away, so I've tasked the Royal Accountant with keeping the Red Rose of Lancashire waving proudly in the Samandan breeze (and the sarky post count ticking over). Whether this means she will actually show her face a bit more often than she has recently is another matter...

And although my absence leaves the Samanda Security Force short-handed in the Bike Patrol department, don't have nightmares - our most capable Head of Security and First Assistant Head of Security will have no trouble taking up the slack, while I'm sure Strix will be keeping a close eye on our Queen's six (as usual...).

All the best to everybody, and try not to get too stressed-out. I'll be thinking of you.

1s4S

Comment

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
                              Just a quick fly-by to make sure all's well before I head for the hills tomorrow.
                              Safe journeys, mate.

Hugs,
                              Strix

My LJ

Comment

How's this for a real-life Sam?

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story.p...925-918312.php

Too cool!!!!!

Hugs,
                                Strix

My LJ

Comment

Working...
                                X