Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Well it seems I'm back on the net again, with my *own* wireless connection. Five days without the net and my husband comes home from a business trip and within two minutes he has the thing working again.

*Grumbles to self about being an idiot*

Oh and my 4yr old just told me she wants to go get her hair cut short like Carter, so I'm trying to figure out what season to go with. Any suggestions?

Kat
    how about a style like what's in your sig? it's shorter, but still long enough to play with...and if she doesnt' like it, it'll grow out faster
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Oh and my 4yr old just told me she wants to go get her hair cut short like Carter, so I'm trying to figure out what season to go with. Any suggestions?

Kat
      That's cool that she wants to look like Carter. Just make sure you get a good stylist. I remember as a little kid suffering through this awful short "pixie" cut that was in fashion years ago. More than one of my women friends has said that she had that cut. One said at a fair, someone called her "son." Luckily it never happened to me.
      Last edited by jckfan55; 10 June 2005, 09:56 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

You know, while you're perfectly entitled to feel the way you do and to express that opinion, posts like this one really bother me. I couldn't possibly agree more about your assessment of Amanda Tapping's acting abilities; she is truly gifted. She is certainly a far better actress than most of the "celebrities" being shoved our way by Hollywood these days.

But I think it's rather presumptuous of us to think that we're in any way qualified to make judgements about what is or isn't a good career move for any individual. We don't know them. We have virtually no understanding of their lives. As disturbingly aquainted as many people are with Amanda Tapping's career, public persona, and the small glimpses she allows of her private life, there's a whole lot more to this woman about which we are completely unfamiliar.

To say that Amanda would be great on another series or in movies is already a given. But the harsh, unfair truth is that very rarely does the most talented and capable actress win the roles and opportunities which she deserves. In my view, Amanda Tapping is a lot better served by her role on SG-1 than she would be by performing in many of the LA productions. I for one don't want to see her relegated to the token female roles of lawyer/doctor/mother that seem to be the only fare available for actresses over the age of 30 in Hollywood. In fact, the most recent trend is for established, well-regarded actors (you know, the ones who can actually act) to take what must be considered less glamrous work simply for the challenge. Sci-fi in general is currently providing them more opportunites to practice their craft than standard fare network television, which is why the likes of Beau Bridges, Lou Gossett Jr., and Edward James Olmos have all taken roles in the genre.

And to be even more frank, Amanda Tapping owes whatever fame and celebrity she does have to the folks at Stargate. I'm fairly confident that she realizes this far better than any of us do. While many people in this thread feel that Stargate is rather fortunate to have Amanda Tapping (and I count myself among them), the converse is certainly even more true. Finally, as has been continually pointed out, her life has most recently undergone significant changes. Despite desires here for her to expand her notoriety and to find that ultimate professional achievment, it seems infinitely more likely to me that the stability, comfort, and family feel of Stargate would be a more enticing option than the extensive travel, grueling auditions, and ungodly hours that accompany prospecting for new roles.

But then again, that's just my own presumptuous take on it. I don't KNOW any more than the rest of you. Which I'm pretty sure was the whole point behind this post.
        Last edited by golfbooy; 10 June 2005, 02:12 PM.

Comment

it is very possible that she likes being a big fish in a little pond. and i'm not saying this to diss anyone or any character, but there are vast differences between hollywood and vancouver. Vancouver is a bit more laid back, and yes, some of the things coming out from there are not as 'big' as hollywood, but also, they don't have to be big. it's steady, reliable work. which, i think, is why many actors stay there.

everyone and thier uncle goes to hollywood to 'make it big', and very few succeed. and they have to fight a thousand others who are trying to do the exact same thing

yet it doesn't seem quite so cut throat in vancouver.

we do know that amanda is well liked and respected in Vancouver, and that goes a long way in getting jobs
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Just one small note to add to the discussion of AT's acting career and possible future plans. Remember Gillian Anderson? She did how many seasons on the X-Files? She won how many awards (an Emmy or two) for best actress? Seen her lately?

Sometimes the best actresses don't get the jobs. Today, too many people want fluff, not substance. Plastic faces and saline breasts, not truly beautiful women, with real talent.

OK, I'm finished. I think AT is a fantastic actress and a very beautiful lady, inside and out. Whatever she decides, I can only wish her the best. For now, I will be very happy to see her remain in SG-1, (in command!).

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              it is very possible that she likes being a big fish in a little pond. and i'm not saying this to diss anyone or any character, but there are vast differences between hollywood and vancouver. Vancouver is a bit more laid back, and yes, some of the things coming out from there are not as 'big' as hollywood, but also, they don't have to be big. it's steady, reliable work. which, i think, is why many actors stay there.

everyone and thier uncle goes to hollywood to 'make it big', and very few succeed. and they have to fight a thousand others who are trying to do the exact same thing

yet it doesn't seem quite so cut throat in vancouver.

we do know that amanda is well liked and respected in Vancouver, and that goes a long way in getting jobs
              You know I could be speaking way out of turn on this...and if I am, just blame it on that brain sucking thingy...

I think you're right on...but I think there's more to it.

My sense is that, while she might consider doing a guest spot here and there on some US or British or Australian shows, I just believe that she will more than likely want to keep her Vancouver roots intact.

She's established there and has a nice home even if it was built by Papa Smurf on crack...she has a newborn daughter and is planning to have more kids in the future...and I don't think she'll want to do anything to uproot or disrupt her daughter's family environment.
              Last edited by Uber; 10 June 2005, 12:53 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                You know, while you're perfectly entitled to feel the way you do and to express that opinion, posts like this one really bother me. (snip, snip) But I think it's rather presumptuous of us to think that we're in any way qualified to make judgements about what is or isn't a good career move for any individual. We don't know them. We have virtually no understanding of their lives.
                You are by all means entitled to your opinion as well, however, my post was in no way making presumptions or judgements about ATs life choices or career choices she did/should have made, nor was I presuming in any way to know her - I was, at best, expressing my opinion that she has a lot more talent then she has, at times, been given credit for (hopefully the recent spate of awards will alleviate that problem) and IF she had made a choice to branch out beyond SG (which, of course, is the reason she is as successful as she is) she would have been, IMO, perfectly capable of handling major roles of any type because she in fact shows great range of ability. I named a few movies that came to mind to show that I think she has great range and could succeed in any genre.

As disturbingly aquainted as many people are with Amanda Tapping's career, public persona, and the small glimpses she allows of her private life, there's a whole lot more to this woman about which we are completely unfamiliar.
                This statement has made me very uncomfortable, no where in my post, or in any of my other posts, do I presume to be acquainted with AT, I would not know her if I fell over her in all probability. I am not sure where you got the impression that I was personalizing anything - I do not know AT from a hole in the head - I do not even presume to know her from interviews I have read or seen, I try to stay away from most personalization. I made an observation about her ability and my thoughts on the fact that IMO she could conquer other leading roles with her wide range of acting ability. My opinions were stated on the pure and simple fact that I think she is a very gifted actress who, if she had chosen to, or does at some point in the future choose to, move on she could conquer many roles as a leading lady because of her capabilities. I find it distrubing that you would read this into my post when it was basically one half of a conversation in response to someone else's comment about what would happen if she left SG. I think it would be good for her if she were to leave to pursue other roles and opportunities because she has the ability to be great, obviously she could also leave to pursue motherhood, either way it has nothing to do with me and I really do not care what she decides to do after she leaves as long as she is happy with it and she leaves of her own choosing.

To say that Amanda would be great on another series or in movies is already a given. But the harsh, unfair truth is that very rarely does the most talented and capable actress win the roles and opportunities which she deserves. In my view, Amanda Tapping is a lot better served by her role on SG-1 than she would be by performing in many of the LA productions. I for one don't want to see her relegated to the token female roles of lawyer/doctor/mother that seem to be the only fare available for actresses over the age of 30 in Hollywood. In fact, the most recent trend is for established, well-regarded actors (you know, the ones who can actually act) to take what must be considered less glamrous work simply for the challenge.
                I said nothing about token female roles, I said that IMO, IF she does leave SG she could succeed in a leading role. She knows where her bread is buttered and she also knows staying with SG means a definite income and the respect of her peers in the area. It is, in the end, her choice I was just expressing my opinion that if she had left SG, or if she does choose to leave, and go on to other things, she could succeed in major roles of all types or if she chose to be a full time mother that would also be a fine choice. My post was made just as if it were one part of a conversation between 2 people who said "gee she is just so good that she could handle a major leading lady role, blah, blah, bah".

And to be even more frank, Amanda Tapping owes whatever fame and celebrity she does have to the folks at Stargate. I'm fairly confident that she realizes this far better than any of us do. While many people in this thread feel that Stargate is rather fortunate to have Amanda Tapping (and I count myself among them), the converse is certainly even more true.
                Of course she does, I said as much in my post. She has grown into a wonderful actress over the 8 years she has spent on the show, of course she owes her career, at this point, to SG. I also said she is established up in Vancouver and has a great job and the respect of her peers so it is comfortable and I also said I know it is hard to make a choice to leave that kind of security. I did not imply that she did not owe her career to SG - I said if she had not stayed on with SG for so many years, a choice that is hers to make and an understandable one because it is a great job, with security and a guaranteed income, she has the capabilities to be a leading lady in major roles, including network TV. This thread is largely about how great the character of Carter is, however, I would venture a guess from what has been said that almost everyone on this thread believes AT to be a wonderful and gifted actress who could shine in other roles and other venues and if given that opportunity would do just that. I wrote my post based on that same belief, IF she chose to go in that direction.

Finally, as has been continually pointed out, her life has most recently undergone significant changes. Despite desires here for her to expand her notoriety and to find that ultimate professional achievment, it seems infinitely more likely to me that the stability, comfort, and family feel of Stargate would be a more enticing option than the extensive travel, grueling auditions, and ungodly hours that accompany prospecting for new roles.
                You certainly read a lot more into my post than ever was intended. Let me just be clear, AT has a lot of new things in her life right now and she will make whatever choices she deems fit, I was not making a judgement on her life, her choices or her career, that is not my place. Please do not make judgements about my posts when it was simply an opinion stated about one actresses capabilities and the fact that I, for one, think she can handle bigger things. Nowhere did I even imply that she has made a mistake or a bad judgement in her life or her career and that she should be out in Hollywood or looking for bigger and better roles now - of course her life has changed and her circumstances have changed, I rarely even mention these things in my posts at all because I feel it is not my place to discuss them, once again all I said in my post was what my opinion is of her abilities and that IF, at some point she had chosen, or does choose, a different path from SG she would have/will succeed.

To be frank your post has made me so uncomfortable that I will be deleting my previous post because if you can get that out of what I wrote - which is no where near what was intended - I obviously did a very poor job at writing it. In that regard, I would appreciate it if you would please see your way clear to deleting the quote of my post from your post. Thank you.
                Last edited by binkpmmc; 10 June 2005, 01:22 PM.

Comment

PLEASE, I don't think anyone intended any post to be directed at anyone else. This is OUR place, remember? Don't bring in petty arguments or disagreements. We are all entitled to our opinions, right?

I know I'm no mod.....but I really don't want to see "flaming" or anything close to that on this thread. Please.......and if I'm out of line, I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by skydiver
                    how about a style like what's in your sig? it's shorter, but still long enough to play with...and if she doesnt' like it, it'll grow out faster
                    Originally posted by jckfan55
                    That's cool that she wants to look like Carter. Just make sure you get a good stylist. I remember as a little kid suffering through this awful short "pixie" cut that was in fashion years ago. More than one of my women friends has said that she had that cut. One said at a fair, someone called her "son." Luckily it never happened to me.
                    Yeah I had a haircut similiar to the ice skater Dorothy Hamill when I was younger and many times I'd be called 'young man' from behind. But then again, my choice of clothing probably didn't help the situation muchl: T-shirts and jeans. I rarely wore anything that looked like 'girl's clothing'.

My daughter has pretty long hair right now and she hates having to get her hair combed and put up into barretts or scrunchees in the morning. Also with summer upon us, she swims a lot and she doesn't like her hair constantly in her face. In my opinion, she actually looks the best with all of her hair pulled away from her face, so I guess the short hair would be a ok for her...but I'm really nervous about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atteria
                      Just one small note to add to the discussion of AT's acting career and possible future plans. Remember Gillian Anderson? She did how many seasons on the X-Files? She won how many awards (an Emmy or two) for best actress? Seen her lately?

Sometimes the best actresses don't get the jobs. Today, too many people want fluff, not substance. Plastic faces and saline breasts, not truly beautiful women, with real talent.

OK, I'm finished. I think AT is a fantastic actress and a very beautiful lady, inside and out. Whatever she decides, I can only wish her the best. For now, I will be very happy to see her remain in SG-1, (in command!).
                      In all honesty, AT may soon go the way of Gillian Anderson, and this is not to knock either actresses in anyway, but I think we haven't seen as much of Gillian Anderson lately due in part to the fact that she became a mother during the series and decided to put her child before her career. Many actresses do this, it's not a bad thing. In fact in my opinion it's a decision that should be applauded. Any parent who has the opportunity to stay at home with their children and who chooses to do so is taking on one of the greatest challenges and jobs there is. Unfortuantely not everyone has this ability, nor would many choose to do so even if given the opportunity, but I truly believe it can only enhance a child's life.

I would really miss Amanda should she ever decide to leave Stargate, but if she does one day decide to go the way of RDA, my hat would be off to her as well. She's given me eight( soon to be nine ) years of happiness and entertainment and now it may be time for her to do the same for her little girl.

If Amanda is happy with the situation at Stargate, then she has 100% of my support and admiration. I will miss the Sam of old, but as a mom I can totally understand her wanting to spend as much time as she can with her new daughter and who knows maybe we'll be lucky enough to some day see her do a few guest spots on a sitcom or as a lead in a romantic comedy.

One can always hope, right??

Kat

Edited: Thanks to Rogue, I fixed my error regarding Gillian's daughter. I wasn't sure exactly when she had her baby. I only recall reading several interviews where she stated that she was still acting, but wanted to spend more time with her daughter.
                      Last edited by ForeverSg1; 10 June 2005, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Binkpmmc,

Sorry, I don't want anyone to feel attacked or uncomfortable, or unwelcome here by any means. That certainly was not my intention. If that's the way my post made you feel, then I certainly apologize for that.

However, in the opening of your post you stated your feelings that Stargate is holding Amanda Tapping back and that it would do her good to leave the show. That seemed like a judgement you were making about her career choices. That was how the post read to me; once again, my apologies if I misconstrued your intentions.

I am not sure where you got the impression that I was personalizing anything ...
                        I don't think my response indicated that you behave as though you are personally acquainted with Amanda Tapping. Nor was I referring to you in particular when I made my response. It was a general commentary about fandom overall, and that I feel many fans develop feelings of unfounded entitlemet towards shows/characters/actors. I'm certainly not implying that describes anyone in this thread or forum, I'm just saying it exists.
                        In that regard, I would appreciate it if you would please see your way clear to deleting the quote of my post from your post. Thank you.
                        Sure, no problem, I'll gladly edit my post. Again, I wasn't personally attacking anyone, then or now. I'm feeling a bit defensive myself at the moment, though I stand by my comments. I regret any miscommunication or hard feelings.

Comment

Phew, that was a close one!!! In case anybody hadn’t noticed (oh go on, somebody must have… ), I’ve been locked out of the Kingdom for the past couple of days. All I did was update the email address in my profile, and ZAP!!! According to GW Central, they’ve had a technical problem which prevented them verifying my identity - sabotage by the Goa’uld maybe? Or the Sam-Bashers?

Anyway my Fellow Samandans, I’m just dropping by to say I’m now back amongst you.

And to celebrate my 100th post (all on SaGC), I thought I’d share with you this image of the faithful 1speed steed (AKA The Inbred), taking a short break from patrolling the tracks and trails of our beloved Kingdom.

OK, it may not look like much (especially when compared to the Royal Accountant‘s ultra-lightweight, built-out-of-tin-cans, gazillion-speed flying machine), but I can assure you that it is fully equipped with the latest stealth technology, giving it the capability to sneak up on any Sam-Bashers who may attempt to infiltrate our hallowed Land.

Admittedly, this capability is usually compromised by the ragged breathing, thumping heartbeat, and creaking knees of the pilot, but rest assured we are doing our best to keep Samanda a safe and Sam-Friendly place.

And I don’t suppose I could have some of that lovely cake now? You just don’t know how hard I’ve found these last few days, watching it being passed around and not being able to have any…

1s4S

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
                            Binkpmmc,

Sorry, I don't want anyone to feel attacked or uncomfortable, or unwelcome here by any means. That certainly was not my intention. If that's the way my post made you feel, then I certainly apologize for that.

Sure, no problem, I'll gladly edit my post. Again, I wasn't personally attacking anyone, then or now. I'm feeling a bit defensive myself at the moment, though I stand by my comments. I regret any miscommunication or hard feelings.
                            Thank you very much, Golfbooy, I appreciate that. I also am sorry for any miscommunication my original post may have elicited without intent and I was uncomfortable that any part of it could be construed in such a way so I thought it best to clarify myself and delete the post.

Comment

In all honesty, AT may soon go the way of Gillian Anderson, and this is not to knock either actresses in anyway, but I think we haven't seen as much of Gillian Anderson lately due mostly to the fact that she became a mother near the end of the series and decided to put her child before her career. Many actresses do this, it's not a bad thing. In fact in my opinion it's a decision that should be applauded. Any parent who has the opportunity to stay at home with their children and who chooses to do so is taking on one of the greatest challenges and jobs there is. Unfortuantely not everyone has this ability, nor would many choose to do so even if given the opportunity, but I truly believe it can only enhance a child's life.

I would really miss Amanda should she ever decide to leave Stargate, but if she does one day decide to go the way of RDA, my hat would be off to her as well. She's given me eight( soon to be nine ) years of happiness and entertainment and now it may be time for her to do the same for her little girl.

If Amanda is happy with the situation at Stargate, then she has 100% of my support and admiration. I will miss the Sam of old, but as a mom I can totally understand her wanting to spend as much time as she can with her new daughter and who knows maybe we'll be lucky enough to some day see her do a few guest spots on a sitcom or as a lead in a romantic comedy.

One can always hope, right??

Kat
                              I didn't mean that Gillian Anderson wasn't an excellent actress. I was just trying to make a comparison. GA spent 10 years in the X-Files, and I personally expected to see more of her. I didn't realize that she had become a parent and had chosen to raise her child, forgoing her career, either long or short term. I think it's wonderful. I'm certain AT is thrilled with Olivia, and should she decide that her child is more important than her career, I say more power to her. I would miss her very much, but I can understand her motives. A child is a precious thing, and they grow up so quickly......you blink and you're waving good-bye as they head off to school.

Guess that's it. I'm now in a very strange mood. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                My Good Baker

It seems that you have misunderstood my former note regarding your exquisite pastries and delicious temptations. Just as Royal Photographer has been doing, I was munching on one of your sinfully rich creations even as I penned my note. A blob of rich cream actually fell onto my writing paper and I dutifully licked it off before continuing ... 'tis a messy job, but someone had to do it.

We Royal Hens will just have to be more active in order to balance the consumption of cakes and creams. I myself have asked our Royal Guard Patrol to provide a suitable one-speed cycle to help me keep in shape. The Royal Accountant has no such problem - she maintains a daily exercise on the hills and dales with her 107-speed naquadah-enhanced cycle. I understand that said bike was a present from the Queen herself in reward for keeping the Samandan budget in excellent order. Beans and bikes, that's our Royal Accountant's forte!

Yes, continue with the baked goods ... the aroma alone in the early morning wafts through Samanda and brings a smile to the lips and a growl to the tummy. Cake, we must have cake.

Cordially

Jester
                                My Dearest Jester,

Allow me to point you in the direction of your own "State College", on the weekend of 20-21st August. There you will find one-speeds aplenty, with the added bonuses (boni?) of drinking , amusing facial hair , nudity , tattoos , and piercings .

Unfortunately I shall not be attending on this occasion - I'm still working on the facial hair...

1s4S

Comment

Working...
                                X