Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Laugh I think you and I were thinking along the same lines Sky!!

Let me see if I can find something regarding Dirty Dancing.

Kat
    I like your sig and how sad that as Amanda's fans we are worried about what is happining to Sam right now, hoping that great things will be
    turning up for her soon.
    ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
      For now, before the TPTB have written all the stories for season 9, the blue jello campaign seems like a great one---not offensive and waiting to say something may be too late.
      Remember.....those stories can be changed up until the time they are committed to film. I would guess that the first half of the season is already in post-production......but I still think we should make our affection for Amanda known. It certainly can't hurt.

And just think! We can save them the money they would have spent on blue Jello! They can just open our little boxes and use what we send them! Could that finance another off-world mission?

And ForeverSg1, I can't rep you before I spread a little more jello around the Stargate universe, but I wanted to let you know how deliciously evil your new sig is. Love it!

Comment

Hmmm... all of this talk... as well as the endings to some other shows (Star Trek, NCIS, 24, etc.), have gotten me thinking along some disturbing lines... *warning, the following speculation is sad* (in my opinion)
        Spoiler:
        ..what if, they are going to kill Sam off in Season 9? What if AT has decided that she's rather just be a mom and raise Olivia, and she really doesn't want to do the show anymore? So... they get an opportunity that they haven't had since MS left... the chance to kill off one of the main characters? Sam could go out a hero... saving the planet - (and AT did say in an interview that she'd like to see Sam save the planet)... and they'd do it in a way so that Sam doesn't Ascend... I think that there are folks who would love to see a main character die - and stay dead... to give the show that 'gritty edge of reality' - and to give the rest of the show that 'tension' and suspense that would come from having an audience who couldn't know if their favorite characters were going to survive the 'crisis of the week'.

In one of the AT interviews from years ago, AT was asked what she'd think of having the character of Sam Carter die... and AT said that she wouldn't like that... but things change... people change... and AT has a new baby... Throughout the first several seasons of the show AT also was not 'for' a relationship between Sam and Jack, but she ultimately came around to saying that she hoped that the series ended with Sam and Jack going fishing - and letting the viewers decide for themselves how things worked out... I think AT came around to this because she felt sympathy for the S/J shippers (even though she did not agree with having Sam in a relationship with her CO). And look at how Season 8 ended - with Sam and Jack going fishing - twice, once at the end of Reckoning and once at the end of Moebius.

AT also *hated* that line about 'just because my genitals are on the inside instead of the outside...' - and she got to say 'who says something like that?' in Moebius - I think the writers wrote that into Moebius just for AT....

AT also wanted a chance for Sam to be funny... and they wrote that for Sam in Moebius too.

And how about that line about 'I don't like guns' in Moebius? AT doesn't like guns - I think that was another line that the writers wrote for AT.

So now... what if AT doesn't want to do the show anymore... and what if TPTB want to accomodate her... and at the same time take advantage of the opportunity to have a major character really die? AT has stated that she would like to see Sam save the planet... So they write an episode where Sam saves the planet - but dies in the process. When they wrote Daniel ascending, they couldn't know that MS would want to come back in a year or so - but he did... so that character's death did not ultimately help them create the feeling that major characters are in danger of dying - and staying dead... Daniel's ascension and subsequent descension actually does just the opposite - it reinforces the view that major characters *don't* die and stay dead. So Sam's death could 'fix' what Daniel's death didn't do.

Sam would go out a hero... there's no doubt that Mitchell stays in command of SG-1... and perhaps Vala would come on board permanently...

And they would try very hard to keep this under complete secrecy for as long as possible before the episode airs that show Sam dying - which would explain why we aren't hearing anything much about Sam at all.

IF this is what they are planning... Sam's demise... I can't express how sad and disappointed and sick I will feel about it. RDA's character gets promoted and will forever be a part of the Stargate heroic legend... 'out there' saving the galaxy... whereas the main female lead falls for her CO... gets emotionally put through the wringer with personal issues... makes 'mistakes' and doesn't get to resolve them... doesn't get the chance to shine as a leader of the team when the opportunity is there in Season 8... and then gets killed off. Frankly I can't think of a better way to reward the Sam-bashers.

Am I having Happy Competent Sam Withdrawals, or what?!

Now that's what I was thinking as I went to bed last night... and this morning, I clicked on that link to the spoilers about Prototype.. and my first reaction was
        Spoiler:
        'cool, Daniel is going to bring the big, bad evil menace to Earth - and open Earth up to a danger equivalent to Replicarter in Gemini'... and I thought - great, now Sam won't be alone in her 'mistake' in Gemini... and maybe they will revisit that topic and tie the two episodes together... and then I read further into the spoilers and I see that Daniel is apparently going to 'go against type' (go against his typical characterization) - and advocate killing Khalek. Sigh... so Daniel will be shown as *not* making the mistake that Sam did in Gemini? Is this TPTB attempt to 'fix' what they did in Gemini? To have Daniel be strong and take the 'hard line' that so many fans wanted in Gemini? Geesh! All the jillions of folks who condemned Sam's actions in Gemini will be ardently behind Daniel in Prototype - and I can just hear the rejuvinated condemnations of Sam as fallout from the episode - and she may not even be in it!
        Last edited by astrogeologist; 03 June 2005, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          Hmmm... all of this talk... as well as the endings to some other shows (Star Trek, NCIS, 24, etc.), have gotten me thinking along some disturbing lines... *warning, the following speculation is sad* (in my opinion)

*snip*
          Gulp, astrog. I hope you're wrong, but I have this horrible feeling that you could just be right.

(And look at me, the man who's seen one whole episode, starting to really care about what happens umpteen seasons down the line!!!).

1s4S

Comment

Astrog.....put those nasty thoughts right out of your head! I think TPTB are just playing with us. But if they were going to
            Spoiler:

write her out, surely they wouldn't kill her! Surely they'd send her off to join O'Neill in D.C......because that would leave the door open to more opportunities in the future. Ya never know, BB, MS and/or CJ could have a house fall on them! I don't mean any ill will; I'm just saying that unexpected things happen sometimes. Seems it would be best to keep your options open ( I think killing Fraiser was a one-time shock device). As to what you said......I share your fears, but don't even want to think about it!!! I don't even think TPTB are that cruel!!!

Originally posted by Simhavaktra
            So… why isn’t anyone saying/blogging something to the effect that it’s good (hopefully fantastically good) to have Amanda back on the set? How good her work is? How well she works with/opposite wunderkinder Browder and Black? Why not cut that bit from the Lowdown about “Carter is hot” into the promos to go with the motif of Vala’s Avalon costume? Pop in some shots of her there at the Stargate from her promotion to Lieutenant Colonel, or Janet’s eulogy, to match the shot of Lt. Colonel Mitchell doing the ‘touch the Stargate reverently’ thingee?
            Again, they are playing with us......

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            I know alot of ppl are slightly upset about the fact that we've had no spoilers for Sam in season9 yet, and thats understandable - I am too
            But I think we need to cut the PTB a little slack here. I mean AT's just got back from maternity leave. And I have a feeling the reason we're not seeing any spoilers about Sam in these episode leaks (eg Prototype) is because the original draft was written when AT was still on maternity leave. The writers probably wern't sure what AT was going to be able to commit to, so the original drafts mighn't have included her as much. But I'm sure they'll go thru numerous re-writes and we will see alot of Sam

My motto? Don't worry, Be Happy *doo doo dee da*
            At the risk of really being lambasted here, how come everyone acts like pregnancy is a debilitating disease? I know how it changes your life, but people do return to work and go on with their careers on a regular basis. I don't mean to be insensitive, but many people have commented on how hard it must be for her to come to work right now. I'm just asking.

Originally posted by 1speed4Sam
            And breathe...

What a tremendous post!!! Being very much the New Boy round here (first viewing of TEW tomorrow ), I'll admit I'm not feeling the deep angst over S9 that everybody else in Samanda apparently is. That said, the impression I've gained so far of AT (both as an actress and a person) and the impact she has on people is making me start to wonder at what point through the seasons I'll become terminally exasperated with TPTB and what they are doing (or not doing) with / to her.

And speaking as a (relatively) normal red-blooded male, I really do hope that I've misunderstood a lot of what I've read on here, and don't find that a show which has struck me on first acquaintance as a classy, intelligent, and *grown-up* production is suddenly transformed into a lowest common denominator, cheap and nasty T'n'A (pardon my language ) sci-fi comic for the X-Box Generation (with apologies to our younger Samandans).

But at least I'll know where to turn if / when that moment comes...

1s4S
            We're all hoping it doesn't come to that.

One other comment, on a slightly different subject: none of the S9 "previews" have blown me away, not just the ones for SG-1. The only BSG preview I've seen so far was really flat, IMHO. I think they all look like they were slapped together by an intern at the last minute.....and we haven't seen any variety in them either. In fact, I've seen only one promo for each show.....and I don't need that repeated five times every Monday and Friday night. I think I've memorized all three promos already!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              Hey Strix

Bon voyage and hoopety do

There's a Royal Bean

Waiting for you ...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...dAppleBean.jpg

Congrats on Post # 7600
              I got a bean!!!!! Woohooo!!!

What a perfect addition to my breakfast of Lancashire cheese and Yorkshire tea (successfully smuggled into the US)...

I'm happy to note that you all have been busy while I've been off... It will take me forever to catch up, but I'm looking forward to it.

I have some photos to share with you all eventually... Following in the precedence set by 1speed, I had a co-worker take a picture of my knobby (and incredibly ugly) knees while standing in the Dead Sea...and my feet in the Mediterranean... I have pictures of the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem and Jaffa city near Tel Aviv. I also have a video of an Oxford Egyptologist (and Xena fanfiction fan) explaining Hathor's cartouche in the British Museum.

Unfortunately, I took over 7 gigs worth of pictures on this trip, so it may take me a while to sort things out.

Hugs to you all,
              Strix

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                I got a bean!!!!! Woohooo!!!

What a perfect addition to my breakfast of Lancashire cheese and Yorkshire tea (successfully smuggled into the US)...

I'm happy to note that you all have been busy while I've been off... It will take me forever to catch up, but I'm looking forward to it.

I have some photos to share with you all eventually... Following in the precedence set by 1speed, I had a co-worker take a picture of my knobby (and incredibly ugly) knees while standing in the Dead Sea...and my feet in the Mediterranean... I have pictures of the Jaffa Gate in Jerusalem and Jaffa city near Tel Aviv. I also have a video of an Oxford Egyptologist (and Xena fanfiction fan) explaining Hathor's cartouche in the British Museum.

Unfortunately, I took over 7 gigs worth of pictures on this trip, so it may take me a while to sort things out.

Hugs to you all,
                Strix
                Welcome back, Strix. Oh dear, what have I started? I hope Samanda isn't going to be plagued by an outbreak of the knobblies. Please tell me you didn't go for the full "Brit Abroad" look by wearing socks with sandals and a knotted hanky on your head?!!!

And compliments on your choice of breakfast. All you really need now to finish it off in style is a drop of Marmite...

1s4S

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn

At the risk of really being lambasted here, how come everyone acts like pregnancy is a debilitating disease?
                  To borrow from what Jack told Daniel in Emancipation: "Experience!"

Pregnancy - or more to the point, childbirth - is not a disease, but it is debilitating in a sense. A baby is very demanding. It has no respect for schedules or human rights or workplace equality. It laughs at fame, refuses to share and doesn't give a whit about the petty needs of humanity in general. It wants it all and it wants it all all the time!!! You can't turn a baby off as you would a cellphone, AT is nursing, which takes a lot more of her time than bottle feeding. She can't relegate that task to the nanny or to Daddy.

And strangely enough, this selfish, obnoxious behavoir earns them tons of adoration and attention!
                  Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Frankly I can't think of a better way to reward the Sam-bashers.
                    but you know, those seem to be the only fans that count. It's all Stooges all the time and no one seems to care that there are those that like, respect and admire amanda and would love to hear something about the actress and her character

Now that's what I was thinking as I went to bed last night... and this morning, I clicked on that link to the spoilers about Prototype.. and my first reaction was
                    Spoiler:
                    'cool, Daniel is going to bring the big, bad evil menace to Earth - and open Earth up to a danger equivalent to Replicarter in Gemini'... and I thought - great, now Sam won't be alone in her 'mistake' in Gemini... and maybe they will revisit that topic and tie the two episodes together... and then I read further into the spoilers and I see that Daniel is apparently going to 'go against type' (go against his typical characterization) - and advocate killing Khalek. Sigh... so Daniel will be shown as *not* making the mistake that Sam did in Gemini? Is this TPTB attempt to 'fix' what they did in Gemini? To have Daniel be strong and take the 'hard line' that so many fans wanted in Gemini? Geesh! All the jillions of folks who condemned Sam's actions in Gemini will be ardently behind Daniel in Prototype - and I can just hear the rejuvinated condemnations of Sam as fallout from the episode - and she may not even be in it!
                    but you know, Daniel can and maybe WILL make a decision that is equitable to the one sam has been so creamed for in gemini. but it'll be ok, because it's him and he's a man so it's ok for him to make a mistake. that just proves that he's human while sam making a mistake is the end of the world

gender bias much????
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I know alot of ppl are slightly upset about the fact that we've had no spoilers for Sam in season9 yet, and thats understandable - I am too
                      But I think we need to cut the PTB a little slack here. I mean AT's just got back from maternity leave. And I have a feeling the reason we're not seeing any spoilers about Sam in these episode leaks (eg Prototype) is because the original draft was written when AT was still on maternity leave. The writers probably wern't sure what AT was going to be able to commit to, so the original drafts mighn't have included her as much. But I'm sure they'll go thru numerous re-writes and we will see alot of Sam
                      Just so it's not faxing Sam, or damsel in distress Sam, or stand in the background and look respectfully impressed Sam, or slog through all the detail work so that someone else can save the day without ever mentioning her again in the doing Sam, or someone has to screw up royally so we'll have a story and you've been elected Sam, or hold down the fort while we go off world and do the fun stuff Sam, or you're a woman so you have to be ruled by your emotions Sam, or joyless grind Sam, or never gets the limelight Sam...

And we have heard from RCC that AT is back on the set, and doing well, so thats good news. So I daresay that the writers have had a talk to AT now, and are going back and writing her in. I hardly think we can expect the spoilers to be released the day after they go into the script...
                      Alas, here we differ, creating and editing interviews and cutting new footage take time, yes, but answering questions in the Forum and blogging are much easier and faster to do. If they truly wanted it to happen, it would have been easy for TPTB to have answers make an appearance on the Forum or in a blog within hours of any conversation with AT.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that if we keep thinking negative thoughts, then we're not going to make ourselves happy. And I like being happy, so I think happy thoughts Like how Sam kicked arse in Foothold, and saved the day in Failsafe and beat the snot outta the Mongol guy in Emancipation
                      Those are happy thoughts, aren't they? I also have a personal fondness for Sam blowing up a sun, and flying the 302, and snarking at the deserving, and talking science a mile minute.

My motto? Don't worry, Be Happy *doo doo dee da*
                      LOL! Y'know, maybe I ought to mention that I once promised d a guy evisceration by beam collimator if he didn't stop singing *and whistling* - !!Ugh!! - that song around me???
                      ...a very cranky blog:http://simhavaktra.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

we'll find out in a few months if i'm wrong and eating my words and apologizing or if i'm finding out for a fact that my favorite show is dying a slow and painful death, sacrificed on the alter of cheap laughs, sex jokes and endless 'homages' to every single movie known to man
                        I hope you are right and we are getting worked up about nothing. But I so agree with your above comments. This is what can come from having a too chummy group of writers and perhaps more so writers/producers. It's like groupthink--no one to challenge those assumptions.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                          Laugh I think you and I were thinking along the same lines Sky!!

Let me see if I can find something regarding Dirty Dancing.

Kat

Love your sig Kat - please keep!!!!

Comment

Wow... thanks to you guys, I'm gonna have nightmares!

No, seriously, I'm hoping this is just a huge misunderstanding and miscommunication on everyone's part.

Here's the problem I have:

You guys are right when you say that TPTB adore Amanda Tapping. I can't count how many times I've heard them compliment her, whether she's in the same room with them during audio commentary or not.

Still... SciFi's desires probably trump everything. They're the reason that the show is still around; they're MOST LIKELY the reason why there's a bigger budget this season; and they're more than likely the reason why Browder and Black have been thrust upon the series.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing absolutely against the actors, but like we've all discussed before: SciFi wants those Farscape fans to come back to the network, and what better way to do that then to bring in the show's poster boy and girl?

It all comes back to ratings. No matter how much PDL, MW, JM, RCC, & Co. love Amanda, respect Amanda, and admire Amanda, the network's ultimate desire will be to forge through with high ratings so that they can end up on top.

It's really annoying to me, because I ALWAYS bought into the "family atmosphere" that they tried to put on, and maybe it's still true. I truly believe it's there WAY more than other series out there. Still, I can't shake the feeling that the "family" mentality has mostly gone and the "corporate" mentality has come in full swing.

With that said, I am gonna agree with AD and try to calm down and cut TPTB some slack.

You guys are a really fun group of people, but one thing I don't want this to turn into is some kind of Movement that is similar to when MS/DJ left the show. Some of the things that went on before, during, and after S6 were pretty pathetic, and I don't want AT/SC fans to be compared to that kind of behavior in any respect. You guys rock and are SOOOOOO much classier than that!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz

You guys are a really fun group of people, but one thing I don't want this to turn into is some kind of Movement that is similar to when MS/DJ left the show. Some of the things that went on before, during, and after S6 were pretty pathetic, and I don't want AT/SC fans to be compared to that kind of behavior in any respect. You guys rock and are SOOOOOO much classier than that!
                              You make a good point here. Sending flowers to AT to welcome her back, IMO, was classy and cool. But campaigning for your favorite character can easily come off as whacko fans. I'm torn on the jello idea.
                              If TPTB would offer us some crumbs I think it would help our peace of mind. . But they may not want to promote AT when she won't appear for several episodes. They want people on board with the new people. Fine.
                              I love the whole team and hope I will like how the new additions shape up. I know it isn't the Sam show. But I still say, if AT can't do some interviews etc (which I understand) then put some Sam shots into the promos--keep her "alive." We'll see what SciFi has on tonight in the area of Season 9 promos.

Comment

Hey its all doom and gloom here at the moment. Get chipper chaps!!

And 1s - don't bring that Blacky cloud over to Preston tomorrow!!

I'm still hopeful that eveyone is just waiting to see exactly how much time Amanda can and wants to commit to the show. They will be trying to work round Olivia's demands - but to be fair there is only so much slack a production team can give before it becomes too burdensome on everyone else. They may be waiting to see if AT can devote the time to a full SG1 role - or if it is just too problematic and thus make Sam a more background figure.

I think they are gearing up for a 10th season and will want to put plots and backgrounds in place to launch that, so perhaps it's just a case of waiting till decisions have been reached.

Yes a baby is very demanding - especially if nursing - but friends of mine are expecting in a month - the dad will stay at home and the mum will express and go to work.

Also my sister went back to work just 6 weeks after my nephew was born. She again the major bread winner, so her partner stayed home and looked after their son. My sister has a very demanding job in London, commutes in and has at least a 12 hour day home to back home. She is a fantastic and doting mum and has a wonderful relationship with her son - now 6 and he adores her. Let's not get hung up with Amanda HAS to be a full time mom, It may be what she wants, it may not - perhaps it is all being worked out as we write?

I think everyone thinks the world of AT and just maybe TPTB are actually bending over backwards here holding fire until Amanda decides what is best? Wouldn't we just feel awful if that's the case?

I want Amanda to be back full time in the show, I want Sam to lead SG1 and kick major butt, I want SG1 as a team again. I do not want Vala in the team for Sam (please give us another gutsy female soldier and great role model instead). But if things have to change direction so be it - hey and maybe we'll still like the show (though it should become another spin off IMO)
                                Last edited by Coley; 03 June 2005, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X