Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    If you have ever seen Anderson accept one of the Spacey awards you know he can be quite winded. I saw one clip where he, CJ and Amanda were accepting a Spacey award and he went on for four or five minutes pretending he was talking to Thor( I don't think Amanda or Chris said much but they laughed alot). It was actually quite funny. I think part of RDA's charm is his quirkiness. It's too bad they haven't gotten a clip up on the web.

The part of the interview that stood out for me was where it said 'Landry would be filling his role as commander of the SGC, and Browder would be replacing him as lead of SG-1.'

I'm not sure why, but it really bothers me that everyone seems to just ignore the fact that Sam/Amanda already replaced Jack as commander of SG-1. She was commander for entire year. So if anything, Browder would be replacing Amanda, not RDA.
    I would love to see the Spaceys, but if they're shown here in the States, I don't know where. If someone else does, please speak up.

Maybe he just meant Browder was taking over his role (you know, the wise-cracking member of the team). I just can't imagine Sam losing her command to a newcomer who is supposed to be "learning" from the best.....unless her work is about to take more of a research focus.....as some fan fics are exploring.

Will July ever get here?

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
      Maybe he just meant Browder was taking over his role (you know, the wise-cracking member of the team). I just can't imagine Sam losing her command to a newcomer who is supposed to be "learning" from the best.....
      Here's my question - GW says Browder is taking over as leader of SG1 - how do they know this to be the case, is there some spoiler or some source I missed? or are they assuming that is the case based on what we do know, that Mitchell is in charge at the beginning BEFORE Carter returns. I have not seen any independent confirmation from any PTB, or from anyone involved in the show, that Mitchell is in charge of the team after Carter returns or for the whole of S9. As many times as people have asked, TPTB either do not answer at all or they say something to the effect that he is in command at the beginning of S9, he is in command until Carter returns, he is in command because Carter is not there, etc. I have seen various iterations of these kinds of statements but never have I seen any commitment one way or the other that he remains in command.

Just as people assume that he will remain in command because it has been said that he is in command in Carter's absence we can also assume that he does not remain in command after her return because they have not confirmed, or denied, this fact so I for one choose to believe that they are playing the fans, they are using this as the hook to get a lot of people to watch to see what really does happen after Carter returns. Let's see what the ratings are for the first 6 eps and then let's see if this hook worked and see what the ratings are for the ep Carter returns in. I don't know but my guess is that there will be a jump in the ratings for ep 6 (Beach Head), Carter's return. I know I for one will not be watching the first 5 but will tune in to 6 for Carter's return, whether I stay or not is up to TPTB and them choosing to do right by Carter.

BTW - just to vent a moment, I am a little irritated that we get an interview with the kid that palyed Ry'ac before we get anything from AT;and this is not a dig at GW, I know they do a great job, and that they do their best to get the A-List and they take what they can get, I am irritated, as you know, with TPTB and the one-sided, trying too hard to convince themselves, PR campaign they are waging. At this point it really seems that they are yanking the fans (typical) while trying to keep Carter's story under wraps. TPTB have to know that fans are anxious about it and they also have to know that fans would love to hear from AT, even if it is just about the baby and her time off, but we have got zippo and she's been back for almost a month now. It just adds to the irksome nature of TPTB and adds to all the reasons I really do not have much respect left for them these days. I'll be quiet now. I know people say AT may not have as much time, etc., etc., and that is fine but taking 15-20 minutes while she is on set to do a short interview does not seem like a stretch nor does it seem like it would take her away from the baby for any great length of time, especially since AT is already at work.
      Last edited by binkpmmc; 02 June 2005, 04:39 PM.

Comment

okay - is anyone else getting PO'd like me? I just read the spoilers for Prototype which is supposed to be in the second half of the season and there is not one single mention of Carter - this is absurd. It sounds like a Daniel focus ep but they mention "the team" and they sepcifically mention Teal'c and Mitchell too, but again, zippo about Carter. If they are going to relegate her character to the back of the bus (or if AT wants it that way because of timing) they should say something and not drag the fans through the mud this way. At this point even if they do have Carter back in force I am tempted to dump the whole lot and walk away just because they are really ticking me off. (As to AT wanting a lesser role be4cause of time, I just cannot see her wanting to have her part cut that far back because she put 8 years of very hard work into the character and from all her interviews and things she has said she is very protective of the character and cutting back to such a degree could be seen as damaging to the charater and I am not sure she would want to see that happen. I would suspect that since she agreed to come back she would be willing to put in the time to keep the character strong, and a core, central character to the stories, not a window-dressing).

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
          I know people say AT may not have as much time, etc., etc., and that is fine but taking 15-20 minutes while she is on set to do a short interview does not seem like a stretch nor does it seem like it would take her away from the baby for any great length of time, especially since AT is already at work.

I sympathize, binkpmmc; waiting is hard and frustrating.

But.

I nursed my kids (all 4 of them) and believe me when I tell you that AT does not have 20 minutes at this point in time to devote to interviews. Even with a reduced acting schedule she's gonna be one busy - and exhausted - lady for the next six months or so.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

If you have ever seen Anderson accept one of the Spacey awards you know he can be quite winded. I saw one clip where he, CJ and Amanda were accepting a Spacey award and he went on for four or five minutes pretending he was talking to Thor( I don't think Amanda or Chris said much but they laughed alot). It was actually quite funny. I think part of RDA's charm is his quirkiness. It's too bad they haven't gotten a clip up on the web.

The part of the interview that stood out for me was where it said 'Landry would be filling his role as commander of the SGC, and Browder would be replacing him as lead of SG-1.'

I'm not sure why, but it really bothers me that everyone seems to just ignore the fact that Sam/Amanda already replaced Jack as commander of SG-1. She was commander for entire year. So if anything, Browder would be replacing Amanda, not RDA.
            Originally posted by jafacakes
            That's because Sam was so poorly written in S8, we never really saw her in command of Sg1, for that matter we rarely saw SG1 off-world that much.
            TPTB lost a golden opportunity to develop her as a competent military commander, not just a scientist.Just realised this is my first post on this thread Hi everyone
            Season 8 did not show Sam as a capable commander and leader of SG-1. The show moved into new directions and SG-1 was not truly shown as the tight team that we saw in the first few seasons. The few times that Sam, Daniel and Teal'c went anywhere as a team can be counted on one hand - and that was for a span that covered 20 episodes! Jack became CO of the SGC - and that ended up dictating that SG-1 stayed tethered to the SGC... Perhaps Season 8 would have been more properly called Stargate SGC... instead of Stargate SG-1?

The few scraps of scenes that show Sam in command in Season 8 are few and far between. Everyone who is a Samfan has to look at the few moments in Zero Hour (an episode about Jack being a 'fish out of water' in his new role as 'the man)... or Icon (a Daniel episode)... or It's Good To Be The King (where Jack ultimately stepped in and took control of the team).

Many things happened in Season 8 - large and sweeping events that changed the galactic political scene... but did Sam actually get to command SG-1 for a year? In name only, but there simply weren't episodes which featured or showcased Colonel Carter's leadership capabilities. And there should have been more than one or two of those types of episodes - with 20 episodes over the span of the season, there should have been 5-10 that showcased and/or featured Sam in command. 25-50% is not unreasonable. But even that did not happen. For some unknown reason they never gave Sam a subordinate officer to command - say a Captain or a Major for SG-1... but perhaps that's because they didn't see SG-1 *as* a true SG field team in Season 8.

Again, lots of things happened in Season 8... lots of things with wide-reaching consequences for the Stargate tapestry and our four major characters - as well as some of the secondary ones.

Now we have Season 9 and RDA is actually gone - not just cutting back his schedule. And AT has a new child. And Stargate is moving on... - they are going back to thier proven 'formula' - an all-around heroic male hero with BB to replace Jack - and Bridges is more aptly replacing Hammond.

We don't know how they are going to fit Sam Carter into their new scenario, but whatever her new role is, I hope that she's shown as competent in her command (whatever that is) and that she has that burning fire and passion for exploration that we saw in the first few seasons.

Jafacakes: Welcome Aboard our thread!
            Here's some Welcome to the Neighborhood Royal Blue Jello

Here's a thread Index Post with links to lots of wonderful screen caps, audio caps, Sam episode Poll results, etc.
            I have to thank Shimmerstar for posting this originally on the shipper page, but since we've all had jello on the brain recently, I thought I'd go ahead and repost it here. This is an excerpt from one of the convention Amanda did in New Zealand.

An audience member asks something about blue jello.

Amanda's response:

Blue jello. It started out so innocently. We were doing a scene in the cafeteria and there was rice pudding, which looked a bit suspect, like it had been under the heat lamp or something – bit crusty on top. And there was jello…and there was fruit cups, or something like that. And I said, "O, I'll have jello" – and then I saw the blue and I thought, "Blue jello – that would be kind of fun." And so I had it. And the next time we did a cafeteria scene there was more blue jello there and I said, "I think I'll make this a thing. I'll have the blue jello." So now it's just become this crazy thing.

I actually get blue jello sent to me from various parts of the world – which is kind of cool. (Audience laughs) but ah….it's fun because it makes your tongue turn blue….and it actually makes your teeth turn kind of blue, so you know it's good for you! (Audience laughs.)

And I did a scene with Rick, and in between takes – or even during takes if the camera was on him – I'd put blue jello on my tongue and let it dissolve, and then just go (shows the blue in her mouth) (audience laughs) and poor Rick would be like, in the middle of a scene going, (trying not to get distracted) "Kiss me Rick, come on – you know you wanna!" "Blue jello!" But now it's just become this crazy thing. And I actually quite enjoy it. So…..that's Sam's new favourite food.

So we have yet another wonderful Sam personality trait all thanks to Amanda

<-- This really needs to have a blue tongue instead.
            LOL Kat! Thanks for the excerpt! Lots of fun!

Comment

<snip>

<-- This really needs to have a blue tongue instead.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                BTW - just to vent a moment, I am a little irritated that we get an interview with the kid that palyed Ry'ac before we get anything from AT;and this is not a dig at GW, I know they do a great job, and that they do their best to get the A-List and they take what they can get, I am irritated, as you know, with TPTB and the one-sided, trying too hard to convince themselves, PR campaign they are waging. At this point it really seems that they are yanking the fans (typical) while trying to keep Carter's story under wraps. TPTB have to know that fans are anxious about it and they also have to know that fans would love to hear from AT, even if it is just about the baby and her time off, but we have got zippo and she's been back for almost a month now. It just adds to the irksome nature of TPTB and adds to all the reasons I really do not have much respect left for them these days. I'll be quiet now. I know people say AT may not have as much time, etc., etc., and that is fine but taking 15-20 minutes while she is on set to do a short interview does not seem like a stretch nor does it seem like it would take her away from the baby for any great length of time, especially since AT is already at work.
                Bink - I empathize with you completely, but it is possible that it's AT's choice to stay away from interviews and such right now. And if it's her choice to focus on her family while trying to juggle how she's going to deal with her job... she deserves the space - and we all need to respect her choices (at the same time that we quietly hope fervently that Sam Carter gets a whiz-bang set of episodes in Season 9 )

Comment

I think one of the things that is hardest about waiting to hear from AT (and thanks for the insight into new motherhood, TH) is that TPTB are pushing the promos from all the other actors, so we really notice AT's absence. Maybe from their perspective, BB, MS & CJ are doing more promos to compensate for AT's limited availability. "Hey guys, can you pitch in a little more to help out since Amanda's busy?" That's probably ascribing more selflessness into the situation than is there though. How long til July?...August? TPTB are probably glad we work ourselves up into a tizzy over the show.
                  I will be watching carefully for shots of Carter in the coming promos. Heck, even if they're from previous seasons, keep her front and center.

Comment

read it. bothers me too. i *know* i saw sam leading sg1 (not a lot, but that was the writers doing, not sam's), so...

i'd sure like to know what's going on. could be a surprise heading our way (a real nice surprise) that'll explain everything. but what i do know is that sam never really got a chance to 'shine' in her leadership, so i really, really, really hope she gets that chance in season 9 (whether she keeps sg1 or not).

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz
                      Week of the Blue Jello Participants:

MajorSam
                      Mary Beth (ÜberSG-1Fan)
                      LadyJeep
                      sg-1fanintn
                      Skydiver
                      Dipsofjazz

Me too.

did i not already include my name in this?

(did i *really* donate my brain to science???)

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                        MajorSal signed up too, lol, hopefully she'll figure out what it's for soon enough!
                        what? signed up what?

*hugs brain* you're NOT touching my brain!

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jafacakes
                          That's because Sam was so poorly written in S8, we never really saw her in command of Sg1, for that matter we rarely saw SG1 off-world that much.
                          TPTB lost a golden opportunity to develop her as a competent military commander, not just a scientist.
                          Just realised this is my first post on this thread Hi everyone
                          hi, jafacakes!

pull up a chair. (give me a margarita) relax and enjoy all that is sam/amanda. (give me a margarita)

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

I get that it could be AT's choice and if so that is fine and I have no problem with it - her life, her choice. A word in that regard would help and would sit fine with me. Mallozzi or anyone could just say AT is cutting back, taking time and is laying low - all of this nothingnes is what is bothering me - it is as if they are trying to cover something up and if it were ATs choice what harm would it do to just say so - the silence leads me down the path of thinking it is a decision made by TPTB and the suits not by AT and they are using the silence to try and keep it quiet as long as possible. But that's just me and I fully agree if it IS AT's decisions I back her 100% but then say that . . . there's nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Also remember that some of these interviews that are being released now, may have been done a little while ago - while AT was still on maternity leave. So that might be why she hasn't been mentioned in any of these interviews...

Originally posted by meimei
                              Rofl! Thats gold

Comment

i haven't spoken to darren, but i'm confident in saying that a lack of interviews with amanda isn't because we don't want them, it's because she doesn't want them

all gateworld can do is contact the actor's agent and say 'we'd like to talk to ______, here' how to contact us if s/he wants to talk' and then wait for a response

I've noticed that many actors wish to keep their children far, far, far from the limelight. like it or not, there are a LOT of nutbars out in the world

as to the lack of amanda in the spoilers, well we'll just have to wait. maybe it's just an oversight, maybe it's because tptb only want to put forth the three male members of the cast, maybe amanda has a 5 episode arc coming up at the end of the season. We don't know. they're beyond cagey wtih spoilers right not and, imho, desperate, desperate and frantic to promote this season
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X