No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent! But we should also have a picture of Sam in hand-to-hand mode.
    Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Joe...

We want more of this...

...and less of this please.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      amanda won on the second night of the awards
      Yeee Haa! (in General Hammond mode)

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        Caption Anyone?

http://www.users.on.net/%7Eroscholle.../sam_jonas.jpg

Amanda(thinking to self):
        Ok, you can do this.
        Smile, look straight ahead, and whatever you do...
        DON'T.
        LOOK.
        AT.
        CORIN!
        You just HAD to do it, didn't ya?
        You looked.
        It was only a glance. Not even a glance really. Just a peek.
        Hmmm...what IS he doing anyway!?

*LOL*

Edit: Ya know... My husband and sister tell me they do this all
        the time (not only talk to themselves, but reply as well). I honestly
        don't recall ever talking to myself before so this is something quite foreign
        to me. I'm not sure if Sam actually responds to her own questions,
        but I think over the years we have seen that she does in fact talk
        to herself quite regularly: like when she couldnt get the naquadah
        generator to work in 'Learning Curve'.
        Last edited by ForeverSg1; 30 May 2005, 11:07 AM.

Comment

i talk to myself all the time.

especially when i'm writing fic. i'll talk out the dialogue while i'm driving or something
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

you know, who cares about sam? i mean, we're not deluging bridge with letters or warning the writers to 'watch thier backs' or other such rubbish, so obviously we're nothing to them
            I've often wondered about this... We have a wonderful group of folks here on the Sam thread... we tend to be team-oriented -even though we admire Sam... we're appreciative of the other characters and do not want Sam's glory to come at the expense of the others. We're OK with Sam being 'one of the team'. All wonderful and laudable attributes... and I think these positive attributes are a reflection of both Sam and AT.

However... does it also mean that we don't make enough noise to be heard? Does it mean that we will be overlooked? There is truth to the old adage about the 'squeaky wheel'... Right now, I am puppy-sitting for a friend... and when that puppy starts whining, he doesn't stop - and I *have* to do something - even if it's just move into another part of the house! Hmmmm...
            she's proof that the female lead does not have to act with her bust size or strut aroudn in tank tops to be a vital part of the show. She's proven that a female can be a member of the team first with her gender being irrevalent

ain't her fault that the fanboys at bridge or mgm are too hormonally driven and blind to see the wonderful thing they're destroying
            she's proof that the female lead does not have to act with her bust size or strut aroudn in tank tops to be a vital part of the show. She's proven that a female can be a member of the team first with her gender being irrevalent

And she didn't to be an alien either! So often, in scifi, the strong woman is a female alien... with the ultimate message to me that a woman from earth can't be strong... no, that would be an abberation... the strong women of scifi are usually aliens (for some reason *that* is more palatable to the audience?)... Oh, and of course, the alien female is *very* aware of her sexuality and uses it as a weapon that she uses to manipulate men of all species... and, of course, she gets all of her clothing at Alien Sluts R Us...
            Originally posted by binkpmmc
            please, let's get over this she's the girl crap and get back to the original kick-a$$, competent, leader Carter.
            Originally posted by Myrth
            But I agree, Amanda is stunning and she doesn't need help at all when being photographed.

My favs are these ones, because they're simple and just Amanda, no attempts to put anything else in the picture or mess with her look through teh use of makeup or bizarre hair. She's just naturally gorgeous.. which everyone keeps saying and frankly it comes through in pics like these.

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~wickedg...nda/atpink.jpg
            http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~wickedg...da/atjeans.jpg

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~wickedg..._IPSSS35KW.jpg
            http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~wickedg...da/promo36.jpg
            Great pics, Myrth!
            Originally posted by Carterslave
            [B]P.S.:[B/] Crichton on Farscape had a reputation for being an awfully angst-ridden guy, frequently prone to tears. Since AT has been the cast member of pre-Browder SG-1 who really brought the heavy emotional artillery, Sam rather got pigeonholed as the Designated Mourner. So maybe, in future, Carter & Mitchell can share the crying duties, instead of Sam always having to be the go-to gal when a heavy bout of anguish is called for. I'm just sayin' ...
            I would love to see the guys cry!
            Originally posted by Carterslave
            Holy frelling cow! You're bringing the Hot & the Pretty like there's no tomorrow. My thoughts about that first picture are CENSORED!
            The 'sweater' one is as warm & cuddly as is humanly possible. (Not to mention that it's stirring new Sam/Janet fanfic ideas in my brain.)
            And the third one is a real classic. The photographer got the angle just right. Between AT's open expression & those awesome sea-blue eyes, she looks like an emissary from a more highly conscious race. (Sam Carter as Ancient? Now there's a thought.) That portrait also figures in the single finest SG-related wallpaper I've seen, "The Tea Rose," found at Rocketfic.com. The amount of fan-based creativity inspired by this show is truly awe-inspiring.
            That is one of my favorite snips from this thread! she looks like an emissary from a more highly conscious race.
            Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
            Still, something's gotta give here. If there's no shippy stuff to blame on Sam, and no love interest to blame on Sam, and no "Mary Sue" tendencies to blame on Sam, and no RepliCarter-esque mistakes to blame on Sam, then surely her character should be well-received this upcoming season, right? Right?
            My fingers are crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
              ... it's interesting to account (to some extent) Sam's behavior to her lack of a female confidante. I won't hold my breath in believing that Vala will be that friend ... maybe Dr. Lam will be able to rekindle the friendship that Sam had with the base CMO. I liked Doig in "Andromeda," considering she was about the only good thing in a really *odd* show - and I feel bad saying that, but it's true.
              If there's no shippy stuff to blame on Sam, and no love interest to blame on Sam, and no "Mary Sue" tendencies to blame on Sam, and no RepliCarter-esque mistakes to blame on Sam, then surely her character should be well-received this upcoming season, right? Right?
              In addition to losing the most sympathetic ear on the team, Sam's also lost her principal source of emotional support—the one person she could always count on for reassurance & who'd be there to help build Carter back up whenever some mishap left her feeling kicked to the curb. It's perhaps interesting to speculate how differently the Gemini fiasco might have played out had Fraiser been there b/c she'd have had the best chance of getting through to Carter & making her face the conflict between her personal need for atonement & her responsibility as commander of SG-1. (O'Neill clearly finds the matter awkward, Teal'c would not consider it his place to intervene & Daniel was busy w/ Vala.)
              Lexa Doig will bring the pretty, to be sure, but I'm not expecting much more. As small as Janet's lab coat was, it's a big void for anyone to fill.
              As for the Sam Haters, it'll be a mighty cold day in Hell when they start cutting her slack.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

I wish I could find out if my cable will carry it...although I can't save it to my computer yet anyway....

Side note...one of the mods pointed out on the Ask Joe thread that we should ask questions and not try to have the final word...

Do you all think perchance it was directed toward comments made by moi and maybe some others??? My 1,150 posts on Gateworld attest that I DO tend to yammer on a bit...although I'm SURE you all have NEVER noticed this about me, right???... but I hope I successfully communicated our angst over Sam-less details regarding Season 9 without ruffling too many feathers...

I also hope my comment about how delighted we at the SaGC thread were thrilled to know that the world's leading theoretical astrophysicist can competently man a fax machine brings at least a chuckle to the random reader...and hopefully to Joe as well...

Hmm...perhaps in the future...less words and more screen caps!!!

So, instead of...

"Joe...do you remember that Sam has the ability to use Goa'uld technology? We'd really like to see more of this side of Sam. Is it possible that future storylines could continue to showcase her uniqueness by exploring her Tok'ra skills more in depth?"

We'd have...

Joe...

We want more of this...

One of my favorite posts, Uber!
                Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                I'm sure someone else may have already posted this before but I just found this excerpt on a Australian site and thought I'd post it here. It's Amanda's feelings about Carmen's character being killed off.

Says Tapping, "What's so astounded me is that when we started to shoot it, I was up in the observation room and had to walk down [to the gateroom]. And I lost it, I wasn’t even on camera" she said.

"I went back up to the observation room and they said, 'Why are you crying' and I said 'Theyre killing off Carmen!' The enormity of it hit me right then, it hit me like a brick to the head, and I couldn't stop crying."

"God bless Carmen, he's so wonderful, and to think that when this show continues he wont be a part of it - it's gut-wrenching every single time. But I Guess that’'s what happens in a long running series."

'Despite her distress at Jacob Carter's departure, the actress acknowledges that the episode provided an excellent conclusion to the character's arc.'

"It worked out beautifully" said Tapping. "They handled it really well. I don’t think they had to kill him off, but I think it worked. It worked in with a couple of different story lines, so it was really kind of cool.

I think this article shows that often Amanda feels very much like we do about certain storylines and they seem to affect in much of the way same ways it affects us if not more so as she has a personal relationship with the actors as well. I know she was very upset about Janet being killed off and it's obvious that this death meant a great deal as well.

If TPTB are listening... please, please, please let this be the end of the tragedy in Sam's life. Do it for Amanda, for her fans, and for poor tragedy-inflicted Sam.
                I agree with everyone who has posted comments asking for the end of 'the killing of all Sam's friends, family and acquaintances'!
                Originally posted by MajorSam
                I will of course be on the channel at that time with a tape set up and hand on controller ready to record!
                We'll be waiting!
                Originally posted by ChevronSeven
                ForeverSG1, I whoeheartedly agree. No more tradgey for Sam. Let's get her back to the butt-kicking commander of SG-1!
                You know, I was thumbing through another thread that discussed why the people who started that thread wanted Mitchell to outrank Carter and thereby shove Sam into 2IC again.

As you can imagine, that really irked me.

The funny thing is, a couple of years ago, I would have agreed with some of the assertions made. She didn't strike me much as a CO type...didn't display many leadership qualities, more the scientist type than a CO...

But over the last few years, she's changed and grown and developed more as a leader. I just saw Fallout again last night and was struck once again how easily she slipped into the role of team leader.

And then with Season 8, when they were able to go offworld (ie., when the budget permitted it), we got to see Sam in command and saw a very capable leader...and as youl know my favorite example of this is It's Good to Be King but even in episodes like Zero Hour, Icon, we still saw these leadeship qualities begin to bloom more.

Now I get things have changed. SG-1 for all intents and purposes has disbanded. Teal'c's doing his Jaffa thing and Sam's wherever Sam is...but when she returns to the SGC, she should resume her role as SG-1's team leader.

I have no problem with Sam continuing in her science role...she wears it well...but I really enjoy the idea of seeing Sam continue to grow as a leader...and I'm personally offended by comments that insist that a some newbie to the SGC should somehow be left to lead the flagship team and the most logical person (Sam) should be somehow punished, demoted (which is what it would essentially be) and dropped to 2IC.

So now they can afford to have more offworld missions. Great. I'm thrilled. But don't make that joyous news bittersweet by permanently removing Sam from her role as SG-1 team leader.
                If they make Sam Mitchell's 2IC, then Stargate is over for me. I'm trying really hard to deal appropriately with my disappointment with how they didn't show her as a strong leader in Season 8... and we all have to give AT space to have a baby... so Season 9 may not be Sam in command of SG-1.. I'm sad and disappointed at the missed opportunities for Season 8. But if they make Sam Mitchell's 2IC, then it's over (for me).

Options that avoid the 'who's in charge' issue between Sam and Mitchell:

-) Sam takes a Tokra symbiote - I've said it before....I hate the idea of Sam getting Tokra'd -the 2 strong female leads would both be alien females (Sam and Vala). Sam getting Tokra'd would also imply to me that the 'Sam of before' wasn't good enough for the show. And finally, it would overshadow the ramifications of Jolinar's possession of Sam.

-) Sam resigns her military commission and becomes a civilian consultant like Daniel. I also hate the idea of Sam resigning her commission... Sam's character is a scientist and an officer - it's just who she is - and I came to really admire and respect that character.

-) Sam isn't part of SG-1 anymore, but comes back and ends up with a posting to the SGC where she sometimes goes out with SG-1.

My best case scenario would have been to have had Sam come back and be in charge of SG-1...but I just don't think they are setting things up that way. They seem to be going for 'the formula' of a lead male like Jack was - hence Mitchell's creation.

As much as I'd like to believe in equality and fairness between the sexes, I just don't see them 'taking command away from Mitchell' and giving it to Sam on a permanent basis. I think, that if we're lucky, we might get to see an episode or two where there is a special mission and Sam is put in charge for specific reasons. Other than that, I think that Mitchell will be the leader of SG-1... My hope is that he's just not in command of Sam. That I just couldn't handle. Not after she was supposed to be the leader in Season 8 (20 episodes... and how many of them show us Sam in command the way that we got to see Jack in command in every season?).
                Last edited by astrogeologist; 30 May 2005, 12:44 PM.

Comment

i talk to myself all the time.

especially when i'm writing fic. i'll talk out the dialogue while i'm driving or something
                  So, is that illegal, like talking into your cell phone while driving?!
                  I'm sure it's okay ... as long as you don't hear voices talking back to you!

Comment

Originally posted by PsychoPenguin
                    Wanting to get a feel before I stick an important appendage in too deeply
                    LOL!
                    Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    2005 is Amanda's year
                    She has beautiful Olivia
                    She wins a Saturn
                    She wins a Leo
                    ...and hopefully it will be a great season for Sam!!
                    Way to go, Amanda!!!

Oh and she turns 40...
                    just goes to prove that
                    like a good wine
                    she only gets better with age.
                    Great post, Kat!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      As much as I'd like to see TR reprise the role of Janet, I have to differ with you there ... bringing her back in AU or as a dream just doesn't do it for me. It would be very hard to watch, don't you think?

Please, tell us where this "fascinating online analysis" between RD and rc is going on. They are both great writers of Samfic ... I'd love to read their critiques.
                      My suggestion of AUs or dream sequences was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, as is my wont. The only point, really, was there are several ways of doing RoJ that wouldn't require a "reset" of Heroes.
                      A thousand pities that J.R. Bourne was unavailable when the Martouf storyline was revisited in Summit/Last Stand since the original plan was to bring the character back on an ongoing basis. Instead, we got Sam playing emotional scenes to various Martouf proxies, including a symbiote.
                      The great Sam/Jack exegesis can be found at the link below. The first few entries are about a Xena fanvid, but it quickly gets into the meat of the discussion (and it's very meaty indeed). Enjoy!
                      http://www.livejournal.com/users/row...035.html?nc=24

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

... Right now, I am puppy-sitting for a friend... and when that puppy starts whining, he doesn't stop - and I *have* to do something - even if it's just move into another part of the house! Hmmmm
                        It's okay ... I won't let Astro puppy sit you any more!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...CassieDawg.jpg

Comment

Coming soon, to a theatre near you! We're bringing back two of your favorite shows based on audience demand ...

Sammie Get Your Gun

Last edited by ChopinGal; 30 May 2005, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                            It's okay ... I won't let Astro puppy sit you any more!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...CassieDawg.jpg
                            CassieDawg! Looks like there's lots of love from the new owner. Not only do we not know what happened to Cassie, we don't know about CassieDawg. Or if we do, I missed it. Anyway, cute picture and I wish them both the best.

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                              CassieDawg! Looks like there's lots of love from the new owner. Not only do we not know what happened to Cassie, we don't know about CassieDawg. Or if we do, I missed it. Anyway, cute picture and I wish them both the best.
                              Hey There, actually there is a story behind the doggie ... I believe it belonged to a child who was sick ... seriously, I don't remember the whole story but does anyone remember an RDA interview where he talks about this dog? Or maybe Katie Stuart (Cassie) spoke about the puppy in an interview.

The real scoop ... anyone?

Comment

We'd have...

Joe...

We want more of this...

I definitely think you should post this, with photos (or perhaps even that photo of Carter that's floating around from Reckoning where she is shooting the P90 (that is a great kick-a$$ Carter picture), on the AJM thread with the questions being: Joe: "Can we please have less of this Carter?" and "more of this Carter?" These are legitimate questions and I think the photo of them wasting precious screen time with Carter sitting a a da*n fax machine could be pretty startling, maybe they will get the point.

Comment

Working...
                                X