Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal
    This is more than "freaky", is it some weird take-off on Fragile Balance?! Or Ascension Redux ... now Orlin will have the hots for Sam but only as a pre-pubescent twelve-year-old. That's not doing it for me, folks ... oh my, oh my, oh my.
    This fits right in with TPTB pre-pubescent crushes and fanboy ways. They will live vicariously through this character - they are the 12 year old Orlin! I had the same adverse reaction to this when I saw that this Cameron person was a kid - great story for Carter - please, let's get over this she's the girl crap and get back to the original kick-a$$, competent, leader Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
      Good question on the AJM threads - thanks for adding .

I do not think he misinterprets, I think he yanks chain on purpose like the time SueS asked if Carter would be in charge of SG1 upon her return. He knew exactly what she meant because a similar question had been posted several times previously by different people and he knows the topic is a hot issue for S9 -- this is many, many pages back on the AJM thread -- and he ignored all of them up to SueS', then his reply (if you can call it that) to SueS was something to the effect: do you mean upon her return or when she rejoins SG1? Please - do not insult my intelligence.

His answer (and I use the term loosely) to SueS was a cop out if I have ever seen one. If he's not going to answer with substance at least don't insult the fans with inane replies which is one of the reasons he is starting to tick me off. For once, and I say this with true conviction, I would love to see him, or anyone over at Bridge, be honest about things instead of making up cutsey replies or ignoring the issue or the question. For example, all he has to say is, that is too big a spoiler sorry - can't say or we have big stories planned for Carter after AT gets back into the swing of things on set or Carter will play an integral role when she returns, etc., anything that would give the impression that Carter will actually be participating in S9 and not just standing around. Sometimes, when he says things, I get the impression he thinks all of the fans are in that elusive demographic they are pandering too lately and none of us have much of any intelligence.
      Well I tried to be as blunt as humanly possible but with humor (note the comment about her being a very capable fax machine operator).

I'm hoping that my snarkiness amuses and intrigues him enough to respond...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
        Let's hope she gets to fly it and he is second seat to her. Based on another post by JM he said Mitchell would be doing some flying in S9 - that's fine as long as Carter is NOT second seat to him and of they do fly together she is piloting. I would hate to see them pout Carter second to Mitchell in everything, especially if she does not get lead of SG1 back.
        Heh heh, yeah. Apparently the only time Sam DOESN'T get shotgun is when she's flying with big-mouth, idealistic, billionaires. And even THAT didn't work out...

Comment

Great finds!
          This photographer clearly knew a great subject when he saw one, setting AT's God-given pulchritude off with a very simple, even spartan visual ambience. No extraneous frou-frou of hair, makeup, costuming or backdrop is allowed to distract from AT's piercing beauty. Her femininity can't be muted, so the fetching unisex haircut simply adds extra spice to her sex appeal. No, the Veronica Lake look definitely isn't for her.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

This is more than "freaky", is it some weird take-off on Fragile Balance?! Or Ascension Redux ... now Orlin will have the hots for Sam but only as a pre-pubescent twelve-year-old. That's not doing it for me, folks ... oh my, oh my, oh my.
            Sam bashers who will then feel that she's hitting on a kid - you watch and see! ...
            Heh heh... Based on what one of you guys put for WHO Cameron Bright is, it makes perfect sense. The kid was in creepy movies like "Godsend" and "Birth," which is a movie where he plays Nicole Kidman's husband "reincarnated" as a young boy... It's pretty dang ironic, given Orlin's state actually, and it's definitely creepy.

I've seen his work before, and he seems like he could pull off the intensity aspect well enough. If they made that episode especially dark because of it, I'd be intrigued.

Comment

Lol... scroll back a couple of pages. The backdrop was actually kind of distracting. I messed with those in photoshop to acheive what you're seeing there. But I agree, Amanda is stunning and she doesn't need help at all when being photographed.

My favs are these ones, because they're simple and just Amanda, no attempts to put anything else in the picture or mess with her look through teh use of makeup or bizarre hair. She's just naturally gorgeous.. which everyone keeps saying and frankly it comes through in pics like these.

Originally posted by Carterslave
              Great finds!
              This photographer clearly knew a great subject when he saw one, setting AT's God-given pulchritude off with a very simple, even spartan visual ambience. No extraneous frou-frou of hair, makeup, costuming or backdrop is allowed to distract from AT's piercing beauty. Her femininity can't be muted, so the fetching unisex haircut simply adds extra spice to her sex appeal. No, the Veronica Lake look definitely isn't for her.
              sigpic

Comment

I have to agree, I like the photos you posted much more than many other's I've seen. Au Naturale is always the best way to go in my opinion. Why mess with perfection?

I have to admit though... Amanda does look as if she's on the prowl in the above photo and I seriously doubt she'd find much resistance when she finally finds whomever or whatever she is after.

Kat

Comment

*picks jaw up off ground*

Thanks for the pic Myrth, hadn't seen that one before

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  I have to admit though... Amanda does look as if she's on the prowl in the above photo and I seriously doubt she'd find much resistance when she finally finds whomever or whatever she is after.
                  Kat
                  Rofl
                  I take it that photo was from the Femme Fatale shoot? That's a couple now that I've seen that wern't used in the magazine (*hopes for more* )

Comment

I am finding a myriad of pictures I never even knew existed tonight! Pretty neat!

Comment

if it comes time for them to "give up the ghost", let it be done within the context of the show's mythology ... let it be meaningful to all concerned ... hold to a behavioral veracity. And let the consequences (using Janet's death as example) to those who remain be written into the arc: Sam Carter and Cassie and Jack and Daniel and Teal'c. Slam, bam, thank you, ma'am ... and on to the next episode.

AT, in interviews, has mentioned the fact that female actors over a certain age are often jobless because of the lack of good material for mature women. Here was a show that could have allowed the continuity of two strong professional women and actually taken a risk by promoting their maturity through their rise in rank and ability. What a refreshing concept!

The teenage demographic may rule, but even the recent GW survey revealed that there is about a third of the viewing population (or more) that is comprised of adult men and women who may be much more interested in depth of character and quality scripts than heavy content on action and eye candy.
                      Starting with your last point, the size & importance of the female sci-fi audience is not only vastly underestimated but often wholly unremarked. They're among the most loyal & vocal SG-1 fans & played an enormous role in the resuscitation of Farscape. We men tend to be more confrontational & writing "f**k you!" letters to the Skiffy generally tends not to engender positive, proactive vibes.
                      Since I've always been comfortable around the kind of independent, professional women featured on SG-1, that was an aspect of the show near & dear to my heart. Depending on how the newcomers are written & portrayed, it's still possible to maintain that dynamic. (In the 'sneak peek', I'm impressed by how Claudia Black's manifest intelligence almost succeeds in distracting me from that dominatrix outfit they've put her in.)
                      I don't want to belabor l'affaire Fraiser, as I'd much rather be sending TPTB flowers or cash bribes to get them to write her back in somehow—a flashback, a ghost, a hallucination, a hologram ... whatever. It says a lot about the character & TR's portrayal that the wisdom of dispatching the Doc is still a subject of passionate debate almost two years after the inception of the "Save Janet Fraiser" campaign.
                      This is one of the more controversial manifestations of the way the show has been affected by Sci-Fi's fainthearted support, renewing at the latest possible juncture, despite an average rating that has risen with each season, to the point where SG-1 is outdrawing Enterprise.
                      Since Showtime green-lighted S1/2 simultaneously and then, a few months into the first season, ordered S3/4, Messrs. Glassner & Wright had the luxury of planning long-range story arcs. The current PTB, limping from year to year, have to plan each season as though it were the last. Ergo some of the severe expedients taken at the ends of S6-8 (including the total wipeout of Abydos). As has been pointed out, they sure could use Janet to help fill the Carter vaccuum at the start of S9 & that goes double for Jacob. With no Janet or Hammond (one episode excepted) & part-time RDA, S8 has seemed underpopulated & off-balance.
                      So, if S7 really looked like the End of the Line, then I can understand the impulse to give Doc Fraiser a memorable exit. Once the Skiffy re-upped, a well-intentioned "showcase" episode turned into "the show's going on but you're not, Teryl," which I imagine was a pretty bitter pill to swallow all around. (The cheeseball device of trying to make it seem as though Jack had bitten the dust, not Janet, probably did a lot to fuel resentment among those who considered Dead Janet a cheap & cynical storytelling ploy.) So what was meant as a big catharsis wound up just leaving a massive residue of ill feeling.
                      At least when Daniel bought it (at least temporarily) in Meridian, the other characters were given a couple of episodes in which to try to come to grips with their grief, which considerably amplified the emotional depth of the show. What's the point of giving somebody a "memorable" demise if SG-1 seems to have completely forgotten them by the next episode?
                      I've been following a fascinating online analysis of the Sam/Jack ship, conducted largely by fanfic authors par excellence Rowan Darkstar and Rocketchick. One of the many superb points made therein was that some dramatic residue from Janet's death could be seen in S8, in that Carter's insecurities & self-doubt are reasserting themselves now that she no longer has the bedrock of emotional support that Dr. Fraiser provided. That had not occurred to me ... and it makes some of Sam's S8 behavior more explicable. If she's off spending quality time with Cassie during the first part of S9, I hope some of that is reflected in the character when she returns & that it's not just a one-line expedient for explaining Carter's absence. Of course it would be nice to have some Cassie storylines, too, but if we keep raising the issue it might very well happen. It couldn't hurt to think positively.

[B]P.S.:[B/] Crichton on Farscape had a reputation for being an awfully angst-ridden guy, frequently prone to tears. Since AT has been the cast member of pre-Browder SG-1 who really brought the heavy emotional artillery, Sam rather got pigeonholed as the Designated Mourner. So maybe, in future, Carter & Mitchell can share the crying duties, instead of Sam always having to be the go-to gal when a heavy bout of anguish is called for. I'm just sayin' ...

Comment

Holy frelling cow! You're bringing the Hot & the Pretty like there's no tomorrow. My thoughts about that first picture are CENSORED!
                        The 'sweater' one is as warm & cuddly as is humanly possible. (Not to mention that it's stirring new Sam/Janet fanfic ideas in my brain.)
                        And the third one is a real classic. The photographer got the angle just right. Between AT's open expression & those awesome sea-blue eyes, she looks like an emissary from a more highly conscious race. (Sam Carter as Ancient? Now there's a thought.) That portrait also figures in the single finest SG-related wallpaper I've seen, "The Tea Rose," found at Rocketfic.com. The amount of fan-based creativity inspired by this show is truly awe-inspiring.

Comment

This was such a pretty picture that I hadn't seen before, I decided to clean it up a bit.

Last edited by ForeverSg1; 28 May 2005, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                            That portrait also figures in the single finest SG-related wallpaper I've seen, "The Tea Rose," found at Rocketfic.com. The amount of fan-based creativity inspired by this show is truly awe-inspiring.
                            Yeah RocketChick does some great wallpapers, especially this one

Oh and I had alook at some of those other pics you've got Myrth... omg there's some great ones of Amanda there I've never seen before! Where'd you find them all? lol

Comment

Carterslave made some excellent points!

I think it's interesting to account (to some extent) Sam's behavior to her lack of a female confidante. I won't hold my breath in believing that Vala will be that friend, because I'm just... weirded out by that whole development. She was truly hilarious in Prometheus Unbound, and CB is clearly extremely intelligent, but I thought that they said she was only going to be in five eps. Now it kinda looks like she'll be in more. I have nothing against the character or the actor, I'm just a bit confused.

Anywho, maybe Dr. Lam will be able to rekindle the friendship that Sam had with the base CMO. I liked Doig in "Andromeda," considering she was about the only good thing in a really *odd* show - and I feel bad saying that, but it's true.

I'm also hoping that the new general is able to start off that fatherly general bit that Hammond had. That somehow brought an interesting touch to the SG-1 of yesteryear.

I truly feel sorry for the fans who are not as hardcore as we are. They're gonna come back in July, and they're going to be greeted by a completely new series, where two main characters are pretty much MIA and three or four new characters are kinda filling the void. I can't imagine the confusion that'll cause for some people.

At any rate, if they DO mention Cassie in S9, and they DO have that as Sam's "personal commitment," I would respect them all the more for it. I can understand their desire to shy away from ship with RDA/Jack being gone and the billion and one changes - although it's rather anticlimactic for EVERYONE involved, I think. Still, something's gotta give here. If there's no shippy stuff to blame on Sam, and no love interest to blame on Sam, and no "Mary Sue" tendencies to blame on Sam, and no RepliCarter-esque mistakes to blame on Sam, then surely her character should be well-received this upcoming season, right? Right?

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                                If they had killed Martouf and then did a brief arc of Sam having to deal with the aftershock of having killed someone she cared for, then yes I would have understood the need to have Martouf die; but they didn't use it as a means to further the story arc.

Has anyone else noticed that whenever we have one of these big recurring character deaths like this, it's always someone close to Sam?

Amanda does such a great job crying, I'm starting to think that each season the writers sit down and think to themselves...hmm who can we kill this year to cause Sam to break down in tears????
                                To respond in reverse order, I guess you can see why I refer to Carter as SG-1's Designated Mourner. Amanda cries beautifully but it's a quality of which TPTB have perhaps become over-fond.
                                If you're close to Carter, you'd better have your life insurance paid up. Her lovely smiles are like Det. Olivia Benson's 'Business Card of Death' on Special Victims Unit: if you're on the receiving end of either, you're toast, pal. Which is why Sam needs to take up cloning in her spare time. Maybe Heimdall can help.
                                As for the whole Martouf-as-killer-droid subplot, the S4 PTB really pulled that one out of their collective @$$. There was no foreshadowing, no motivation & no explanation after the fact. I suppose one could say, "Well, maybe the Goa'uld turned him when he was being tortured by Sokar's minions blah, blah, blah ... " Well, I dunno about you but retroactive character development seems like a fancy name for sloppiness to me. The edict came down that Martouf Must Die, so the show lost an elegant & haunting character, not to mention a fine actor with whom AT had terrific chemistry. Heck, Sam had more chemistry with poor Martouf's corpse than she did with certain stiffs who were subsequently shoved in her direction under the guise of 'love interest.' And Jacob wound up having to carry the whole Tok'ra mythos by himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X