Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Hello Everyone,

Uber and I were talking tonight and a few questions popped up that we felt we should pass onto the loyal subjects of Samanda.

1) Does Samanda have a motto??

2) Does Samanda have a Royal Flag?

We would like to ask for suggestions for both if the answer is presently no.

Thanks Kat
    I don't believe that we have either one...
    And Kat - great new sig pic.
    Originally posted by ChopinGal
    Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

A Sincere Thank You for Going Beyond the Call of Duty
    To Keeper of the Flame and Royal Photographer
    Who, at this very moment, are slaving away
    Creating works of art to be included in the
    Great Compilation, Volume I, of Samanda

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    This Hot Pink Basket of Flowers
    Is for the both of you

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...PinkBasket.jpg

And it is the picture of the exact same flower arrangement that we sent to the Queen when she returned to work!
    Thanks for the virtual flowers, Chopin!
    Originally posted by tara3583
    I would love to add my suggestions>>>>FLAG orange with picture of Samanda land in the centre with the four corners filled with pics of action Sam,science Sam,woman Sam and kind and giving Sam, with those pics maybe faded in with pics of Amanda laughing and smileling.
    Maybe from each pic a pic of hands reaching out
    and grasping other hands.
    For the Motto>>>>To laugh,to smile,to care,to reach.

Hope this is alright as this is what Amanda and
    this thread brings to mind to me
    Great ideas, Tara!
    Originally posted by Rogue
    But for me the season starts when AT is back.
    I agree with that, Rogue! And great little sig pic, too
    Originally posted by Lida
    How about something light hearted? (remember, if the pic doesn't work, I'm a ditz. I just want to remind everyone!!!!!

The pic came through fine, Lida!
    And LOL at it, too - Sam looks like she's a happy Goa'uld!
    Originally posted by deepspace
    Astrogee, I feel like I am failing you here. I've promised you this cd, and haven't done anything yet. I missed my opportunity to post it last week because I was waiting to see what would happen, whether or not the thread was ending, because if it were I would have just put the whole thead on the one disk. But now, I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to post it.
    So sorry, I don't like mucking people around like this .
    I tried to PM you, but you need to delete some messages or something, it says that your storage is full.
    Hi Deespace! Sorry about the full PM mailbox - I cleared out some space. As for the CD - just go ahead and send it the first chance that you get. Don't worry about not getting those last few posts (or pages of posts)... no matter what you decide the last post is for the CD, there will always be more posts going up while it's in the mail. I wouldn't worry about it
    Originally posted by Skydiver
    I'll just say that neither of those boys are enough to get me to a con. I've seen MS twice, CJ once and neither of them are enough to get me to shell out the bucks to see them again

i've heard the stories and, frankly, i don't care for the shanks/judge/davis mutual admiration society. I'm just not interested

I just have the impression that, while they do enjoy meeting the fans, it's more about doing the gig and lapping up the adoration and estrogen while for amanda, it's truly a chance to meet and greet her fans and that we're a LOT more than just a face in the crowd to her.

i honestly can say that she cares about people
    Originally posted by tsaxlady
    I so agree with this - I've seen MS & CJ twice and while they were fun, it is more of a gig for them. MS is not comfortable at Cons and it really shows (but I don't blame him with they way some women act toward him). I've seen AT once and she was so different then the guys - she keep Thanking everyone for coming and for watching the show - she was great at the breakfast and interacted so well with everyone. Now that she has had Olivia I do not expect to see AT at many Cons in the future but if/when she does appear if you have the chance to go it will be worth the money
    Sky andd Tara, Wonderful comments about AT! And Tara - love your new sig pic!
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 27 May 2005, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Just for you guys, and just because it's a holiday weekend.

i'm not going to post any of these fic on lists for a bit, but i've put up my zine fic from last year

http://www.geocities.com/sky_diver119/newstories.htm

now if the site's wiggy, i'm afraid you just have to wait for the bandwidth to go back. i'm gonna be finding somewhere to house my fic pretty soon cause i've pretty much killed my 15 meg i get from geocities

anyway,
      To Sleep, a jack pov
      Natus - part 3 of the phoenix trilogy and i would recommend reading the other two first. this is so massively au that you'll probably be lost...i know i was writing it
      Sacrifice and Betrayal - What if Into the fire had ended a bit differently and Hathor took a new host...Jack
      Duty and Honor - will sam pay the price for jacob's devotion to duty
      Tentative Gestures - a peek into my version of jonas' past
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Who are our funniest Samandans? I know there's a lot of us that are really funny (I think I have a fairly strong sense of humor when I'm not in a serious mood...like I appear to be now)...but I mean who here is consistently side-splittingly humorous? Please PM, email or MSN message me with your vote....

Or post it here!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Wow - of course! Orange is the Queen's and President's royal color!

After reading all the posts tonight, though, I have a much better motto to appear on the orange flag ... near the action/soldier Sam:

"Don't tread on me!"
          Great suggestion, Chopingal!
          Originally posted by majorsal
          who's up for petitioning the ptb to give sam/amanda her own show?!?

if sam had her own show, should it take place on earth? should she command the alpha site? if she stays on earth, should she have her own sg team (not sg1, because this would be *sam's* show). how about her being on the prometheus or daedalus? ideas, samandans?

sally
          I'd sign that petition! With AT's new baby, there's no way she'd want the workload that comes with the lead role, though. And I would definitely vote for Sam in charge of the Alpha Site (get her out of the 'pissing contest' for who's in charge of SG-1, as well as away from the selfish fans of some of the male leads in the current show).

[QUOTE=1speed4Sam]
          Guess this episode or add a Caption:

Jack: I think those are the Season 6 to 8 scriptwriters coming now.

Sam: I do believe they are, sir.

Jack: And what did you say you were going to do to them again?

Sam: You don't want to know, sir...

*Season numbers edited as suggested by Carterslave*
          ROTFLOL!
          Wow, CS! Where to begin?

I love your metaphor for the summary execution of some of our favorite characters ... they did seem to get pushed under the bus ... without completely thinking about the ramifications to both the main characters, the projected plotlines, and the fans, themselves. You know, when I first watched the much-hyped Heroes episodes, I got very angry and disillusioned. Like you, I didn't want the "real world" of sudden death and tragic loss pushed down my throat with a strong female supporting actor being the one thrown to the wolves. I remember writing on another scifi board at that time that this was stepping over a boundary regarding purpose of the show versus pontificating on the reality of war. We are getting our fill of the world's carnage and good people dying in senseless acts of war every moment of every day ... we are besieged by the insanity of current events. When I turn on my favorite scifi show on Friday night, I am expecting to escape from this craziness for just one short hour and be entertained by stories and characters who move me to another realm, outside my personal reality and everyday cares. These stories may carry hidden messages, of course, but I would prefer that they uplift rather than demoralize. I want to believe that there is a constancy to my heroes ... that I can depend on their being there through the course of the series ... and, as you say, if it comes time for them to "give up the ghost", let it be done within the context of the show's mythology ... let it be meaningful to all concerned ... hold to a behavioral veracity. And let the consequences (using Janet's death as example) to those who remain be written into the arc: Sam Carter and Cassie and Jack and Daniel and Teal'c. Slam, bam, thank you, ma'am ... and on to the next episode. I had to turn to fanfic to find resolutions.

[...]

Ah, the spectre of ageism rears its ugly head ... you could be making a valid point but, somehow, I don't think that TR's age had anything to do with her being written off the show. I think, more than likely, the good old boys got so excited in their ever-expanding plot of Heroes that their testosterone just kicked into full gear and outran their reasoning. AT even went to PDL and tried to advocate for a rewrite of the final battlefield scene with an injured Janet instead, but it didn't happen.

AT, in interviews, has mentioned the fact that female actors over a certain age are often jobless because of the lack of good material for mature women. Here was a show that could have allowed the continuity of two strong professional women and actually taken a risk by promoting their maturity through their rise in rank and ability. What a refreshing concept! Showing what happens to women in their 30s and 40s as they gain further respect and responsibility. I'd watch that kind of arc right on to S15 or higher!
          Chopingal, since I'm currently banned from your green jello fridge, here's some Royal Blue

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

... Sam looks like she's a happy Goa'uld!
            Methinks that's a contradiction in terms.

Good to see you back ... you were last spotted driving up and down the hills of northern California in some kind of Moebius loop with It's a Wonderful World blaring from your car radio ...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
              I thought I'd pop on quickly to show the really cool picture I just got in:

http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/...heroes_sam.jpg

Also I wanted to quickly remind everyone to VOTE FOR AT at syfyportal.com!

http://www.syfyportal.com/genre-awards/2005/index.php
              Great pic, Uber - and thanks for the reminder to vote
              Originally posted by Bam2
              Uh...............................ok. Badass she is then . Like I said before, I have never been around to see her character fight.
              Love that: "Badass she is then" -- this guy is very quick on the uptake!
              I understand that it gets boring to always have a happy ending, but ya know some of us already have enough drama and tragedy in our lives to go a lifetime without wanting to see more of it. I've seen a lot of friends and family members die, it's not a pretty sight. I don't necessarily enjoy being reminded of it while watching television. One of the reasons I enjoy fantasy and science fiction is because it is so far from reality in most cases.

Stargate may be more realistic than most because it takes place on Earth and the main characters are humans working for the USAF, but that's pretty much where reality ends. How many times have the main characters died and been revived? How many times has Earth came close to a cataclysmic end, to be saved just in the nick of time. Carter's body has been taken over two different times, Daniel has ascended two separate times, Jack has an Ancient gene that allows him to use alien techology. These are not things that we normally see in real life, and this is exactly why I like the show. If I wanted reality, I'd watch CSI or House, those shows deal with things that happen every day.

I don't mind seeing violence if there is a true need for it to explain a story, just as I don't mind see someone die if the death has meaning or adds depth to the storyline; however to use it simple to add a shock value is simply wrong in my opinion.

In terms of Martouf, Janet and
              Spoiler:
              Jacob
              ... I don't think it was used as anything more than shock. If they had killed Martouf and then did a brief arc of Sam having to deal with the aftershock of having killed someone she cared for, then yes I would have understood the need to have Martouf die; but they didn't use it as a means to further the story arc. That last minute of Sam sitting with Martouf lying in her arms was sad but honestly any Tom, Dick or Harry could have been the actual Zartac just as easily as Martouf.

As far as Janet, I don't agree with their reasons for having her die, but at least it was a beautiful episode and a great tribute to Janet and everything the character added to the show. She deserved that at the very least. But I'm still heart-broken over
              Spoiler:
              Jacob's death.
              If I don't see a tangible piece of evidence in season nine to explain the reason why this had to happen I am going to be extremely disappointed with the writers.

Kat

Edit: Has anyone else noticed that whenever we have one of these big recurring character deaths like this, it's always someone close to Sam? I guess that isn't completely true, seeing as Daniel's wife did die, but poor Sam seems to get the brunt of all this tragedy.

Amanda does such a great job crying, I'm starting to think that each season the writers sit down and think to themselves...hmm who can we kill this year to cause Sam to break down in tears????
              Great post,Kat!
              Originally posted by Grace O'Neill
              ForeverSG1!

I couldn't agree more! That's the reason I try to avoid Drama movies and tend to go for Comedy only. That's the reason I don't watch Lifetime network. Entertaiment should be entertaining, not depressing.

I also agree with AT's abilities to act out those teary moments. She does it with so much heart. It never feels fake. Not many actors can pull it off.

I really hope that something HAPPY will finaly happen in Carter's life in S9. Too much tragedy happened in S8. Sam deserves happiness!
              I agree, Grace! Here's to some happiness for Sam in Season 9 - give the emotional insecurities to the guys for the year!
              Just to know, there is hope for Sam in S9 ...

"See? It says right here in my contract that I cannot be repossessed by a symbiote or entity or allowed to die. And, 'happy', I'm entitled to have some happy moments. Life is good."
              LOL! Perfect, Chopin!
              Originally posted by jckfan55
              Great! Not only kick butt Sam, but happy Sam for Season 9!
              Great - Happy Sam Kicking Butt! ..What an image... I can just see Sam whumping some bad guy... with a smile/smirk on her face that says 'Sometimes Life Is Good!'
              Last edited by astrogeologist; 27 May 2005, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Well congratulations and yippee too
                Two Samandans have celebratin' to do

Forever Sg1 is gonna make cozy
                It's her wedding anniversary weekend
                And life is rosy!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...nGal/Roses.jpg

Astrog, what will it take?
                # 1600 is onboard
                We must have cake!

Comment

OT: Tomorrow is my anniversary and my husband just came home with Photoshop CS as my gift. So if anyone has any good books to suggest that would help in learning how to use this monster of a program (Uber already suggested one), I would really appreciate it.
                  Kat, here a few Photoshop books. Amazon.com has user reviews and in many cases I based my purchases on what the posters and friends recommended.

Photoshop CS Studio Techniques by Ben Willmore
                  The Photoshop CS book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby
                  Photoshop Restoration & Retouching by Katrin Eismann
                  Photoshop Masking & Compositing by Katrin Eimann
                  Real World Photoshop CS by David Blatner and Bruce Fraser
                  Adobe Photoshop One-on-One by Deke McClelland

Eismann’s books are very good and she had test photos you can download to work along with her examples. It seems she has a very good reputation in the Photoshop community.

Ben Wilmore, Scott Kelby and the Blatner/Fraser books are great all around books and the authors are all well thought of.

Deke McClelland’s book includes a CD. It does a good job covering the fundamentals.

You’d think I’d be a much better Photoshop user since I have all these books in my library. But, alas, I have such a long way to go. You have “the gift” so any of the above books would be easy for you to follow and learn how to apply the tricks of the trade.

If you would like more info send me a PM.

Oh, and congratulations on your anniversary and such a neat gift!

Comment

Okay. I'm getting confused with my Lowdowns. Does that screen capture come from the one where AT hosts and jokes at the beginning about "Shouldn't we have gotten a cake or something?" or is this from the one hosted by David Hewlett...

I know it's the same one where she's reading questions from fans and sees one thread that says something to the extent of "Sam and Jack forever...Die Pete Die" and she said "Wow..." BUT I'M GETTING CONFUSED!!!

Plus wasn't there a lowdown for Season 6 where she's talking about how great it is to have Corin Nemec on????

Please help this confused Samandan out...!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

happy endings are fun, yes. and i do enjoy them. i think it's all in how they're presented

take red sky for example.

in it, the sgc messed up and set the g'tau sun on the way to blowing up. jack made a big deal about telling the g'tau that their god isn't real. (he outed the asgard) then, when they realize that they can't fix the sun, the people won't leave, because they trusted thier god to save them and i THINK, they wouldn't even listen to freyr tell them to do, because freyr wasn't their god

basially, this was one example where, by outing the gods, they did do more harm than good. and i think the episode would have been far more powerful had the g'tau really died.

the sgc has had a habit of trotting around, altering cultures, 'fixing' the wrongs - such as in emancipation, or demons, or memento. and yes, in some of those cases, they were exposing the natives to a better way of life...but we never see the consequences of this.

what about memento? in that one, the people that believed in and worshipped heru'ru were a quiet little secretive sect because that part of the history was forbidden to know and denied to even exist.

now, all of a sudden, the cult of heru'ur had definitive proof that they were right all along. now what are they going to to? now, instead of having to hide, they know that they were right. how much did we muck up this society?

we'll never know because that aspect of it is never dealt with.

in those cases, i think it'd be interesting to see the results and fall out of the sgc's activities.
                      I have found it interesting that the Stargate folks haven't broached the subject of 'The Prime Directive'... perhaps because they want to maintain their difference from Star Trek? Whatever the reason, I have found it a refreshing change (which is not to say that I agree with the 'mess around with other cultures as you will policy')... and it's been lots of fun to not have Prime Directive straightjacket. If we lived in a world where we were meeting cultures from other planets, then I'd have to agree that we'd need something along the lines of a PD. But for Stargate... a scifi TV show...? It has been fun to not have to worry about it.

I do find it interesting that they haven't given Daniel more dialogue where he argues against their interaction, however. You'd think that Daniel's character would be vehemently for a non-interference policy and approach to their explorations.

Without the PD (or non-interference policy), I think that they have ended up coming across as more equal to the other cultures that they meet... The Prime Directive just screams elitism... and the Tollan did that *so* well. Hmmm... there's an example of Stargate dealing with the Non-interference topic... The Asgard, as well, seem to have their non-interference policy (in their own way)... as do the Ascended (extremists)... So in Stargate, it's the Tauri who don't have a formal non-interference policy... am I right here?

Comment

one thing to remember about photoshop, i've been playing with it for years and i still don't know everything

don't let it get you down, just keep plugging away at it
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31

Kat, here a few Photoshop books.

You’d think I’d be a much better Photoshop user since I have all these books in my library. But, alas, I have such a long way to go. You have “the gift” so any of the above books would be easy for you to follow and learn how to apply the tricks of the trade.

Oh, and congratulations on your anniversary and such a neat gift!
                          I totally agree with SamFan ... Kat, I can't wait to see how you're going to use the new software because what you've done up 'til now has been amazing and very artistic.

Hubby is a keeper - it's a very thoughtful gift!

Comment

OT: Tomorrow is my anniversary and my husband just came home with Photoshop CS as my gift. So if anyone has any good books to suggest that would help in learning how to use this monster of a program (Uber already suggested one), I would really appreciate it.

Back on topic: Today while bored and running through screen caps from POV, I decided that I really don't like the wig they choose for AT to wear. I'm not really sure why all AR versions of Sam have long hair, but they could at least do AT the curtesy of finding some decent wings. Anywho, I started playing with one of the caps and this is my alternate version of Alternate Reality Sam.

Well done photoshopping, Kat! Sam looks classy...and older... kinda like my mom.

As for AT with long hair, I agree about the wigs that they've used -- I did, however, like her long hair in this shot

She just looks stunning! I think Sky said that AT did this with hair extensions.

Comment

one thing to remember about photoshop, i've been playing with it for years and i still don't know everything

don't let it get you down, just keep plugging away at it
                              Boy, do I second your comments, Sky! There probably isn't anybody who understands all of it! That's why there are so many books, classes and tutorials. It is just so powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                                Okay. I'm getting confused with my Lowdowns. Does that screen capture come from the one where AT hosts and jokes at the beginning about "Shouldn't we have gotten a cake or something?" or is this from the one hosted by David Hewlett...

I know it's the same one where she's reading questions from fans and sees one thread that says something to the extent of "Sam and Jack forever...Die Pete Die" and she said "Wow..." BUT I'M GETTING CONFUSED!!!

Plus wasn't there a lowdown for Season 6 where she's talking about how great it is to have Corin Nemec on????

Please help this confused Samandan out...!
                                I believe it is the one with David Hewlett in the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                                X