Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

(sam thinking) "i know i like to take bites off the guys meals, and sometimes 'borrow' a candy bar or two, but i *really* think they're overreacting in their solution!"

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

great pictures sky! Way cool...and thank you to everyone who's sent in their pictures so far.

if you haven't, well, then send em to me for crying out loud.

Oh and my privacy policy is that unless I get your permission, no one will know who is who on the picture unless I get the express permission of the person...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

i've got a bit of a rant coming up, with spoilers for s8's moebis' , threads, and the show ncis' season finale

i had an odd night last night. first, i watched the season finale of ncis. i'm a casual viewer, but the ending was horrific! they not only killed off a regular character, it was the way they did it. without going into great detail, they had her shot in the head, her dying immediately, with her eyes open. i HATE that.

but part of the reason that scene upset me so (seeing as i'm not *into* that show or character big time) was... when she was shot, i yelled out 'no!' and almost burst into tears. man, if i really liked that character, i don't know how i would have felt! but part of that reaction was... in a matter of seconds, i envisioned that being sam. it was brutal, and TOTALLY not needed. i mean, if they 'had' to kill her off, why like that? it was ugly and almost mean spirited to me. and this comes from david bellisario, who killed magnum pi (until tom sellec brought him back) and made sam beckett, from quantum leap, never find his way home. he also tortured his jag mac/harm shippers to death. but anyways... i thought of sam there for a moment, and how HORRIBLE that would have been if they'd done that to our beloved sam. so, it put me in a bit of a melancholy mood...

and then i read a wonderful fic last night by skydiver (((denise))) called 'so shall it be'. it was based on the s8 season finale 'moebis 1 & 2'. the story dealt with the surviving daniel, and what alt sam, alt jack, and alt teal'c did while stranded in the past. it was a *wonderful fic* (here's my feedback to denise ), but it also increased my melancholiness because it explained how the real sam, jack, and teal'c died in ancient egypt. it wasn't explicit, but i can NEVER deal with sam death scenes, whether they be offscreen (thank you, denise ) or not. so, today, i thought of another way they could have handled not having the real sg1 with the alts at the same time (which is why i think they killed off doubles, so they wouldn't have to use split-screen)...

when the alts showed up in ancient egypt, someone told them that the originals had died. i 'think' he said they were captured and executed. then daniel came in and i 'think' told them more. here's my idea for not having ALL the sams, jacks, daniels, and teal'cs around at the same time, without killing doubles off:

the alts ask where they (the originals are), and the arab guy begins to explain. just then, daniel comes in and explains instead.

alt jack: 'where are we?',

orig daniel: 'to be honest, i don't know. i'd left the camp for a day or two, and when i came back, i'd found out that the camp had been attacked, and everyone was taken.'

alt sam: 'were we killed?'

orig daniel: 'i don't think so. the jaffa were rounding up slaves, so... there's a chance that sam, jack, and teal'c escaped the round up, because i heard that some had escaped detection and ran off into hiding. there's a chance they're out there and are lost and can't find their way back.'

alt sam: 'wouldn't they try to find you? or you try to find them at least?'

orig daniel: 'not when we're trying to hide our appearances, especially for sam, with her attention-grabbing hair, eyes, and skin. it's too risky.'

(alt sam frowns)

orig daniel: 'there's also a chance that they 'were' captured, and are serving RA. or, they're rotting in some cell.'

(alt sam and jack grimmace)

orig daniel: 'suffice it to say, i totally believe they're alive. now, why are 'you' here?'

*ends my happier version*

i know there's holes to this idea, but i like it a LOT more than sam, jack, and teal'c being killed! when moeb first aired, i was very bothered by the idea that they died. okay, so the origs and alts helped to make it that sg1 didn't have to go back in time (again), but still... the sam, jack, teal'c, and daniel that we've followed for 8 years died in ancient egypt. there might have been two identical versions of our ppl (origs and end of moeb 2 versions, not counting the alts), but we STILL saw that everything that they'd been through... sam broke up with pete, her father died, and a short time later, she was stranded in ancient egypt and was eventually captured and executed. i hate that. a lot. really, really a lot.

k, i just wanted to get that all off my chest. i'm *so* glad i have you guys to talk to!

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
          i've got a bit of a rant coming up, with spoilers for s8's moebis' , threads, and the show ncis' season finale

i had an odd night last night. first, i watched the season finale of ncis. i'm a casual viewer, but the ending was horrific! they not only killed off a regular character, it was the way they did it. without going into great detail, they had her shot in the head, her dying immediately, with her eyes open. i HATE that.

but part of the reason that scene upset me so (seeing as i'm not *into* that show or character big time) was... when she was shot, i yelled out 'no!' and almost burst into tears. man, if i really liked that character, i don't know how i would have felt! but part of that reaction was... in a matter of seconds, i envisioned that being sam. it was brutal, and TOTALLY not needed. i mean, if they 'had' to kill her off, why like that? it was ugly and almost mean spirited to me. and this comes from david bellisario, who killed magnum pi (until tom sellec brought him back) and made sam beckett, from quantum leap, never find his way home. he also tortured his jag mac/harm shippers to death. but anyways... i thought of sam there for a moment, and how HORRIBLE that would have been if they'd done that to our beloved sam. so, it put me in a bit of a melancholy mood...

and then i read a wonderful fic last night by skydiver (((denise))) called 'so shall it be'. it was based on the s8 season finale 'moebis 1 & 2'. the story dealt with the surviving daniel, and what alt sam, alt jack, and alt teal'c did while stranded in the past. it was a *wonderful fic* (here's my feedback to denise ), but it also increased my melancholiness because it explained how the real sam, jack, and teal'c died in ancient egypt. it wasn't explicit, but i can NEVER deal with sam death scenes, whether they be offscreen (thank you, denise ) or not. so, today, i thought of another way they could have handled not having the real sg1 with the alts at the same time (which is why i think they killed off doubles, so they wouldn't have to use split-screen)...

when the alts showed up in ancient egypt, someone told them that the originals had died. i 'think' he said they were captured and executed. then daniel came in and i 'think' told them more. here's my idea for not having ALL the sams, jacks, daniels, and teal'cs around at the same time, without killing doubles off:

the alts ask where they (the originals are), and the arab guy begins to explain. just then, daniel comes in and explains instead.

alt jack: 'where are we?',

orig daniel: 'to be honest, i don't know. i'd left the camp for a day or two, and when i came back, i'd found out that the camp had been attacked, and everyone was taken.'

alt sam: 'were we killed?'

orig daniel: 'i don't think so. the jaffa were rounding up slaves, so... there's a chance that sam, jack, and teal'c escaped the round up, because i heard that some had escaped detection and ran off into hiding. there's a chance they're out there and are lost and can't find their way back.'

alt sam: 'wouldn't they try to find you? or you try to find them at least?'

orig daniel: 'not when we're trying to hide our appearances, especially for sam, with her attention-grabbing hair, eyes, and skin. it's too risky.'

(alt sam frowns)

orig daniel: 'there's also a chance that they 'were' captured, and are serving RA. or, they're rotting in some cell.'

(alt sam and jack grimmace)

orig daniel: 'suffice it to say, i totally believe they're alive. now, why are 'you' here?'

*ends my happier version*

i know there's holes to this idea, but i like it a LOT more than sam, jack, and teal'c being killed! when moeb first aired, i was very bothered by the idea that they died. okay, so the origs and alts helped to make it that sg1 didn't have to go back in time (again), but still... the sam, jack, teal'c, and daniel that we've followed for 8 years died in ancient egypt. there might have been two identical versions of our ppl (origs and end of moeb 2 versions, not counting the alts), but we STILL saw that everything that they'd been through... sam broke up with pete, her father died, and a short time later, she was stranded in ancient egypt and was eventually captured and executed. i hate that. a lot. really, really a lot.

k, i just wanted to get that all off my chest. i'm *so* glad i have you guys to talk to!

sally
          Mary Beth comes in to rain on Sally's parade....

The main problem I have with your solution (which I liked much better btw) is that Ra is not the shy kind. He doesn't do his executions in the back room...he does his executions in public...as a warning to all who would defy their god.

So my guess is that Daniel witnessed their deaths incognito in the crowd. Either that or someone he trusts gave him a first hand account of the public execution.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

((sally))

i didn't want thier deaths to be explicit, i had a hard enough time writing what i wrote without pages and pages of gory detail and also, thier deaths wasn't the focus of the fic, it was a necessary part of the story of the Alt's and daniel and how they survived/moved on

NCIS, well it bites. now i have read that the actor in question asked to leave so s/he wasn't fired per se, but honestly the whole cast has such fantastic chemistry that it's gonna be really, really hard to replace that

tony egged follks on, kate calmed him down, gibbs loved setting them against each other, mcgee was a willing co-conspriator with all of them, abby and ducky were fantastic comic relief

they were all fantastically matched
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
              The main problem I have with your solution (which I liked much better btw) is that Ra is not the shy kind. He doesn't do his executions in the back room...he does his executions in public...as a warning to all who would defy their god.

So my guess is that Daniel witnessed their deaths incognito in the crowd. Either that or someone he trusts gave him a first hand account of the public execution.

yeah, unfortunately

i almost wrote it that way, daniel witnessing it and having to be held back but went for the 'easier' way out of finding the bodies and hearing the account

goa'uld are flashy, they gotta make a scene

now, to placate sally....ra COULD have killed them, then sarc'd them to make them serve himb (course, you don't jus sarc anyone, you'd have to be pissed and want to make a point...i'm not sure if sg1 had ticked him off that much yet. However, they did have enough unique things to pique his attention. Apophis first prime, a blue eyed blonde who was a host.)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                Originally posted by astrogeologist
                Hi all,
                Have been out of town, but I have updated the SaGC Collection with recent submissions.
                The new PDF file is 8.7MB... Recent additions include Agent Dark's wonderful drabble (page 5) and Chopingal's Haiku to Amanda (page 13).
                I love the addition of the Thread Humor section. It’s great to see the screen caps and their excellent captions. Now we won’t lose them and we can just travel to the Thread Humor section to get our daily giggles. It’s a great addition to the SaGC Collection, Astro! Or has it always been there and I just missed it?
                The 'Thread Humor' section is a renaming of the 'Guess the Episode' and 'Create a Caption' games (fished out of the old posts by Strix), with some other stuff that Chopingal fished out of the old posts
                Originally posted by SamFan31
                AD’s drabble always brings a tear to my eye. It’s so touching and I can just hear Louis Armstrong singing What a Wonderful World.
                Was driving across California just after 6am this morning... and struggling to find a good music station -actually playing music- in the wide open spaces of the Central Valley... There was loads of annoying morning talk shows where the announcers seemed to think they were so funny ...and, as always, the spanish stations came in loud and clear (I've always been jealous of how strong their radio stations usually are... just wish I could *understand* the lyrics!)... and then the country stations... and classical stations... and a gospel channel or two... all coming in just fine... But how about some good old rock and roll? Folk rock is ok too... And for some reason, those stations were not as popular in and amongst the cotton fields and fruit orchards of the valley floor...

So what does all this mean? I had the radio on 'constant scan' mode... where you get something like 4 seconds on each station... I'd cycled through the entire radio band countless times... stopped temporarily to this station or that.. catching the end of a good song or two... and then they'd launch into endless commercials... or their 'morning talk' portion of the morning talk show....

So then it's just after 8am, and I'm cruising up I5 along the western side of the valley... reception is more difficult here as the road slides up and down along the base of the foothills...

And what do I hear? I hit the scan button to stop the scan mode. It was that song... 'Wonderful World'... and it made me think of Agent Dark's drabble and Sam looking back at the Earth... touched my geologic soul.. and then the lyrics took me away and beyond Stargate.

A bright sunny day... already the temp threatening 80 degrees and it was just past 8am...Click to listen here (and give it a moment to load, and scroll down for lyrics). The direct link to the wav file is http://www.songagram.com/songs/Louis...erfulWorld.wav

The version that I heard wasn't sung by Loius Armstrong, but it was still wonderful. I listened after the song, hoping to hear the name of the singer or band, but I didn't catch it. Of note, the radio announcer was playing the song in honor of all of the students graduating from high school and college.

So... how was that for a ramble?... Hmmm... where was the topic? Sam? Oh, yeah, she's looking at the Earth... and realizing some of her astronaut dreams from her childhood.

Thanks again to Kat for the wonderful photo-graphic of Sam looking back at the Earth.

Comment

(i read the whole thing, and what do you think i got from it?... )

YAY, i'm one with o'neill!!!

sally
                  Yep, Madam Vice President, our dearest Royal Page knew just who would most appreciate the O'Neillium mind transfer - belated birthday gift, perhaps?!

And, deepspace, I've been off-board for awhile but kudos on a terrific third chapter - you go, girl! We'll have you up on fanfiction.net in no time, writing your first Samfic! Proud of you!

Jester

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                    Yep, Madam Vice President, our dearest Royal Page knew just who would most appreciate the O'Neillium mind transfer - belated birthday gift, perhaps?!

And, deepspace, I've been off-board for awhile but kudos on a terrific third chapter - you go, girl! We'll have you up on fanfiction.net in no time, writing your first Samfic! Proud of you!

Jester
                    For the record, as the snarky Samandan and someone whose sense of humor is frighteningly similar to O'Neill's, plus there's the whole, "I'm not the sharpest bulb in the box (yet another trait I share with Jack), AND I'm just the Royal Photographer ie., way more expendable, I believe it was my duty to stick my head in the brain sucker. I would NOT have allowed more valuable Samandans to take my place.

I also think there was a memo to this affect sent out to the masses a while back.

And if there wasn't a memo there should have been.

So...there.

Comment

but part of the reason that scene upset me so (seeing as i'm not *into* that show or character big time) was... when she was shot, i yelled out 'no!' and almost burst into tears. man, if i really liked that character, i don't know how i would have felt! but part of that reaction was... in a matter of seconds, i envisioned that being sam. it was brutal, and TOTALLY not needed. i mean, if they 'had' to kill her off, why like that? it was ugly and almost mean spirited to me.
                      Originally posted by Skydiver
                      NCIS, well it bites. now i have read that the actor in question asked to leave so s/he wasn't fired per se, but honestly the whole cast has such fantastic chemistry that it's gonna be really, really hard to replace that

tony egged follks on, kate calmed him down, gibbs loved setting them against each other, mcgee was a willing co-conspriator with all of them, abby and ducky were fantastic comic relief

they were all fantastically matched
                      OK, I know that this is our Sam thread, but I want to chime in here... Last night, I was spending my last evening visiting my mom... she likes NCIS and I'm OK with it (I really like abby because she speaks back to Gibbs with a smile on her face and gets away with it... and ducky is a kick!), but overall, I'm not too invested in the characters of that show... they had advertised that one of the main leads was 'not going to survive', and while I wasn't looking forward to that, it wasn't tying me up in emotional knots.

Until I saw the last couple of minutes of the episode. It was horrible. And immediately reminded me of the Manchurian Candidate (where he executes his parents) which I saw as a rerun movie when I was a young teen. The ugly images have stuck with me ever since. Now, I've watched scads of scifi series and movies and crime shows and such... seen lots of folks get 'shot' on the screen... or bloody and gory... and I'll just close my eyes if the gore is too nasty. But that scene in NCIS should have come with a forewarning - it was horrible. I too thought of the writers as simply mean, Sally, so you are not alone. All night long that image of her getting shot kept flashing through my head - ugh - and this isn't even a show that I was terribly excited about.

My mom broke the silence in the room after Kate was shot, 'I don't think I'm going to watch this show anymore....' And *she* was the one (of the two of us) who *really* liked that show.

And then, I too thought of Sam... and the Stargate series... and how they have killed off some good characters over the past couple of years. And how there are some threads out there (on this very forum), where there are some fans that I think are pretty mean... suggesting and discussing which characters should be killed off and why.

I've said it before on our thread... I can handle dead - if it's 'scifi dead' for any of the main characters.. and 'scifi dead' means that they get to come back - that they aren't permanently dead. It's scifi... it's fiction... and I don't watch to get depressed - I'm OK with the unrealism that comes with the heroes surviving galactic crises on a regular basis. If I want tragedy on the 'death scale', I'll watch a tragedy... or just watch the news or read a paper...

I still am not happy with Janet's death in the series... or
                      Spoiler:
                      Jacob's
                      - I think they lost so much more than they gained by killing those characters off.

Killing Sam off? Permanantly? I actually thought about that last night... and the only thing I could think of was that I don't think I'd ever be able to go back and watch an episode of Stargate again. I'd have to get rid of all of my DVDs (Seasons 1-7), because I know that I wouldn't be able to watch Sam on the screen without continuously thinking about how they killed her off (and revisualizing those scenes in my head over and over again).

There are so many ways that they could have handled Sasha Alexander's desire the leave the series - (and actually what she wanted was a less grueling schedule, so it's too bad they just didn't cut back her scenes and give her a cut in pay and let her be happy with life) - they didn't have to kill her... and they certainly didn't have to do it as they did. I was pretty pissed when the show was over. Pissed and depressed.

Thanks goodness for that wonderful sunny morning with pleasant temperatures... and a little 'Wonderful World' as I drove home this morning.
                      Last edited by astrogeologist; 25 May 2005, 07:32 PM.

Comment

here's an observation:

twice sam has openly bucked authority and disobeyed orders

in serpents grasp when she went with sg-1 to save earth, then in foothold, she said to heck with the chain of command and went outside it to save earth

in SG, she got jack's admiration, in Foothold, she got harry's

now there have been a couple of other times, such as disobeying jack in singularity or defying bauer in chain of command...but i'm thinking one valuable thing thta sam has learned from jack is that there definitely are times when breaking the rules is the thing to do

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          OK, I know that this is our Sam thread, but I want to chime in here... Last night, I was spending my last evening visiting my mom... she likes NCIS and I'm OK with it (I really like abby because she speaks back to Gibbs with a smile on her face and gets away with it... and ducky is a kick!), but overall, I'm not too invested in the characters of that show... they had advertised that one of the main leads was 'not going to survive', and while I wasn't looking forward to that, it wasn't tying me up in emotional knots.

Until I saw the last couple of minutes of the episode. It was horrible. And immediately reminded me of the Manchurian Candidate (where he executes his parents) which I saw as a rerun movie when I was a young teen. The ugly images have stuck with me ever since. Now, I've watched scads of scifi series and movies and crime shows and such... seen lots of folks get 'shot' on the screen... or bloody and gory... and I'll just close my eyes if the gore is too nasty. But that scene in NCIS should have come with a forewarning - it was horrible. I too thought of the writers as simply mean, Sally, so you are not alone. All night long that image of her getting shot kept flashing through my head - ugh - and this isn't even a show that I was terribly excited about.

My mom broke the silence in the room after Kate was shot, 'I don't think I'm going to watch this show anymore....' And *she* was the one (of the two of us) who *really* liked that show.

And then, I too thought of Sam... and the Stargate series... and how they have killed off some good characters over the past couple of years. And how there are some threads out there (on this very forum), where there are some fans that I think are pretty mean... suggesting and discussing which characters should be killed off and why.

I've said it before on our thread... I can handle dead - if it's 'scifi dead' for any of the main characters.. and 'scifi dead' means that they get to come back - that they aren't permanently dead. It's scifi... it's fiction... and I don't watch to get depressed - I'm OK with the unrealism that comes with the heroes surviving galactic crises on a regular basis. If I want tragedy on the 'death scale', I'll watch a tragedy... or just watch the news or read a paper...

I still am not happy with Janet's death in the series... or
                          Spoiler:
                          Jacob's
                          - I think they lost so much more than they gained by killing those characters off.

Killing Sam off? Permanantly? I actually thought about that last night... and the only thing I could think of was that I don't think I'd ever be able to go back and watch an episode of Stargate again. I'd have to get rid of all of my DVDs (Seasons 1-7), because I know that I wouldn't be able to watch Sam on the screen without continuously thinking about how they killed her off (and revisualizing those scenes in my head over and over again).

There are so many ways that they could have handled Sasha Alexander's desire the leave the series - (and actually what she wanted was a less grueling schedule, so it's too bad they just didn't cut back her scenes and give her a cut in pay and let her be happy with life) - they didn't have to kill her... and they certainly didn't have to do it as they did. I was pretty pissed when the show was over. Pissed and depressed.

Thanks goodness for that wonderful sunny morning with pleasant temperatures... and a little 'Wonderful World' as I drove home this morning.
                          I share your feelings.

Even now...watching any episode with Teryl is bittersweet for me because she was such a great character...

If they ever KILLED Sam off, I'd cancel my GW account, sell my DVDs and burn everything else.

Comment

Originally Posted by astrogeologist
                            Hi all,
                            Have been out of town, but I have updated the SaGC Collection with recent submissions.
                            The new PDF file is 8.7MB... Recent additions include Agent Dark's wonderful drabble (page 5) and Chopingal's Haiku to Amanda (page 13).
                            Wow! The book for Amanda is up to almost 300 pages! I'm so impressed!

RL has been BUSY the last week. I go to the office, start fielding media requests and all of a sudden, it's time to escape to lunch. I go back to work; then, at 4:30, time to escape home. I've barely had time to check in here the past few days, but what little I've been able to read has inspired me, as usual. What great posts you make on a regular basis!

Astrog, I loved your morning drive through the valley story. I've had a similar "constant scan" experience with the radio too.....with similar luck. It was between Nashville and Knoxville. I was glad I had my CDs along.

Sally, I'm sure glad I didn't watch NCIS last night. I don't like to think about the deaths of any member of SG-1 either, especially Sam. Heck, I can't even read fan fic where there's major character death!

SamFan31 and ForeverSG1, your beautiful pix always make me go....."Aaah....."

Deepspace and Chopingal, I love your wit!

Welcome to theQ!!! Another Tennessean! Wow! Now there are at least three of us. Pretty soon, we'rre going to have to start having chapter meetings!

And Uber, don't you dare stick your head in the Ancient knowledge device! Your posts are some of the most eloquent on this thread! We can't have you start writing them in Ancient! We wouldn't be able to read them!

Uber, I love the class photo you posted! I'm looking for a full body photo. I think there's a deliberate reason I don't have one.....hmmmmm. Besides, I'm usually the person taking the photos. There's a family event this weekend. If I don't find one by then, I'll take one to send to you. I sure hope we'll all get to download the compilation when you're finished!

I'm glad to find you all well and carrying on with Samadan rituals and pageantry. I'll check back in ASAP!

Comment

if all sasha wanted was less working hours, why couldn't they have added another character to take some of the load off?

i am honestly not too enthused about watching it now. the kate/tony/gibbs/abby/mcgee/ducky relationships were all so great. the show has the snappy dialogue that west wing use to have. gibbs is fantastically grumpy and sweet (curmudgenly is a good word) and it all just worked for me

i honestly and seriously don't see how they can recreate that chemistry. and WHY did they have to kill her off? why couldnt' she have gone back to the secret service and the presidential detail?

about the only 'good' think is that gibbs will be a serious force to be reckoned with. pissed is an understatment. livid isn't strong enough.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

Plus...now you see what I looked like in kindergarten...but only from a distance...I know...I was quite the ham, wasn't I???

You still are!!

Comment

Working...
                                X