Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
    More Captioning!

AT: "Yeah, it's called the 'deer-in-the-headlights' look and you almost have it ... just open up those peepers a little wider ..."

CS: "Somehow, it looks much more sexy on you."

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      there are pros and cons to archiving this thread

pro
      it'll be archived. which means, since it's not being altered every few seconds iwth a post, if the server ever dies again, it stands a better chance of surviving intact (when it crashed a couple of months ago, we lost a few posts and the rda thunk thread lost a ton since they were posted after a backup was made)

It won't ever go away. it'll just sink down in the pages and can be found by searching for it

cons
      yes, the numbers will start over. thread one will end with post 8000 or whatever, the new thread will start over wtih one. However, let's say thread 2 hits 8,000, i can merge it with the old one and the old one will now have 16,000 posts, so it's more of a temporary starting over

maybe we need to put up a poll? let folks vote?

i'm game for either option, and no we don't have to do it

some have worried that the sheer size might scare off the newbies, others like the idea that folks can read all our history

totally up to you guys, i'm just the person with the power to make it happen
      Sky, part of the fun and history of this thread is the whole crazy Kingdom of Samanda spin ... can you extract a couple of the posts that Astro lists on her one reference post ... can you bring these posts along at the start of the new thread? I think that would solve the problem as we would then have the Samandan history right up on new front pages and people could quickly reference them, especially the newbies, so they could follow along when we do, on occasion. go off on one of our Royal Court spoofs.

Is that technically doable? Removing several posts from old thread and attaching to the new?

If not, then I'd vote for letting Astro complete the Samanda Archive project and then bring this up for future vote at the "500" level.

CG
      Last edited by ChopinGal; 23 May 2005, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Sky, part of the fun and history of this thread is the whole crazy Kingdom of Samanda spin ... can you extract a couple of the posts that Astro lists on her one reference post ... can you bring these posts along at the start of the new thread? I think that would solve the problem as we would then have the Samandan history right up on new front pages and people could quickly reference them, especially the newbies, so they could follow along when we do, on occasion. go off on one of our Royal Court spoofs.

Is that technically doable? Removing several posts from old thread and attaching to the new?

If not, then I'd vote for letting Astro complete the Samanda Archive project and then bring this up for future vote at the "500" level.

CG
        I was thinking along the same lines - archive the thread at an appropriate point (say post 8000) as Ye Chronicles of Samanda Volume 1, and then have astro's index page as Post #1 in Volume 2, linking back to Volume 1. Can this be done, and would it work?

1s4S

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
          Sam: Alec. *cough* Is that your hand on my bum??
          Alec: (leering) Now how did that get there?

Comment

what i think i can do, with astro's help, if she starts up a new thread, maybe with bits of pertinent posts, she can link back to the original thread and then i can shut down the original but folks can still link back to it

i'm pretty sure that will work, even if i close it. like i said, the thread isn't going away, i'll just be closed and it'll sink down as new threads are started
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

one good thing, ib f brad wrote beachhead, it'll be good. brad has a good handle on the characters adn knows how to write sam (as opposed to some other guys who tend to write her how they'd like her to be rather than who and how she is)

IMHO, if brad had written chimera it wouldn't have been the soap opera drivel that it turned out to be and sam wouldn't have been this pathetic little doormat who let pete walk all over her
              Actually the same thought came to my mind when I read that Brad had written this episode. He really is one of the better writers of Sam's characters.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                NO POSTS IN FOUR HOURS???

Good people of Samanda...where art thou?!???

In honor of my 1,100th post...which will be coming up fairly soon by the looks of things...here's a GREAT AT picture that's just dying for a caption:

She's such a ham...
                Sorry folks, I'd forgotten about this until now, and just have to share...

This is a GENUINE headline from the UK's top quality daily *news*paper The Sun, Wednesday May 18th 2005:-

Shopper KO'd By Vibrating Pants

Betcha don't get that sort of thing in the National Enquirer!!!

*edited to a) correct the date and headline, and b) inject a bit more sarcasm, but it's all genuine - trust me *
                Last edited by 1speed4Sam; 24 May 2005, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Vibrating Pants???? Really-heehee
                  Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

what i think i can do, with astro's help, if she starts up a new thread, maybe with bits of pertinent posts, she can link back to the original thread and then i can shut down the original but folks can still link back to it

i'm pretty sure that will work, even if i close it. like i said, the thread isn't going away, i'll just be closed and it'll sink down as new threads are started
                    I have a question about the proposed new thread. This assumes the first post is Astro’s Index Post (and maybe that's a wrong assumption) and original thread info to which she links needs to be updated.

How do we handle posts that reside in the original thread that need to be updated? For example, new members need to be added to ChopinGals’s Royal Roll Call of the Realm of Samanda (post 6973). Since it will be archived and can’t be updated will ChopinGal post again to the new thread with an updated version of her original post? And then Astro would change her link so it points to the updated post in the new thread?

I don’t know if that makes sense, but it seems we will need to allow for updates to some of the archived posts that Astro’s Index Post currently links to.

Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                      I have a question about the proposed new thread. This assumes the first post is Astro’s Index Post (and maybe that's a wrong assumption) and original thread info to which she links needs to be updated.

How do we handle posts that reside in the original thread that need to be updated? For example, new members need to be added to ChopinGals’s Royal Roll Call of the Realm of Samanda (post 6973). Since it will be archived and can’t be updated will ChopinGal post again to the new thread with an updated version of her original post? And then Astro would change her link so it points to the updated post in the new thread?

I don’t know if that makes sense, but it seems we will need to allow for updates to some of the archived posts that Astro’s Index Post currently links to.

Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?
                      I understand what you mean Samfan. What we will have to do is to put an updated post in the new thread, as you won't be able to add to the archived posts. I occassionally dig around in the massive Sam/Jack Shipper archive, and you can link to posts that are there, but you can't add anything, or use the quote feature to these posts.
                      sigpic

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                          One scene I don't is that mumbo-jumbo Carter spouts near the end of Singularity about how she wasn't really in any danger b/c she knew the bomb wouldn't go off, etc. It retroactively diminishes a very powerful scene of Carter choosing near-certain death rather than betray Cassandra. Given the intense scene in the elevator—one of the first times we really got to see AT roll out the heavy emotional artillery—I take the interpretation that Carter was just B.S.-ing O'Neill with those bland assurances that she was never in any danger. Otherwise it really shivs the emotional arc of the episode.
                          Yeah. She was taking a major gamble staying with Cassie. Sure she had a *theory* that the bomb wouldn't go off, but she didn't know for sure. I take the view that the combo of her thinking it *probably* wouldn't go off & her not wanting to leave Cassie is what kept her there.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                            One word - WOW!!

Comment

Hmm, I didn't realise that archiving the thread might make things hard for astro. Sorry.
                              And SamFan is also right about not being able to update previous posts even if they were linked too. The only way I can think of doing it is if we were to actually repost some things in the new thread. However, if folks want to keep going on this one, that's fine. I agreed with Uber because initially I thought the idea of a new tread was a bit fun, and that it would be nice for people to start it off with some history of Samanda posts, but I can see it would inconvenience quite a lot of things, and Astro and Chopingal would really like to keep this one going, so how can I disagree !

As for group photo !! Oh royal photographer, it's a brilliant idea, but.... I don't know. If I send you a photo (I could try and pick one that's a tiny little bit less blurry), then it will be included, and then... if the citizens of Samanda vote for it to be put on the thread....
                              If it was just something that got PM'd around between us, then I think I could agree, but on the thread?.........
                              *deepspace is undecided*

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                                Then Brad Wright wrote Beach Head, which is a big Space Opera battle thing with some Goa'uld thrown in there for good measure. So it’s very cool.”

Reading this it sounds like Beach Head will be the 6th episode to air.
                                Glad to hear Brad Wright is keeping his hand in with the writing. His episodes are generally good ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X