Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
    Well I can't see that Jack would take SG-1 from Sam and give it to Mitchell. I don't care what Mitchell may have done during the battle in Antarctica it can't compare to what Sam has given the SGC or SG1 over the past eight years. So regardless of what may be implied or leaked over the next three and half months, I will continue to believe that when Sam comes back, she will be in charge of SG-1.

Kat
    I agree...JACK would never do it. Heck he took the job as general primarily to promote Sam to Lt. Col. (and I defy any of you all to rewatch the ending of New Order 2 and come to any other conclusion).

HOWEVER, methinks it'll be the new General who wants Mitchell at SG-1's helm...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
      but won't say anything about whether Sam will be in charge of the team. I'm beginning to think it's less frustrating just to step back from fandom and just wait for the premiere in total darkness. Teasing us to pique our interest is one thing. I understand that. But it seems like they're just toying with our emotions, and that's mean.
      Hi All:

Just jumping in to say hi but still trying to keep a distance as negative thoughts are still with me. Don't despair about Mallozzi not saying anything about Carter - it is the game they play and I am sure that they have been told not to say much if anything especially about who will command because they know that it is a huge hook right now because so many of the fans like the Carter character and they know it will pique their interest. My money would be on them trying to keep it a big secret until the ep Carter returns, let's hope the cat is out of the bag sooner than that, but I would bet money that they want to keep it a secret as long as possible to pull in as many fans as they can. (We actually had this same discussion many, many pages ago and I think there was general consensus here that TPTB will try to keep this a secret as long as possible.)

I still think that if they do not make Carter the leader of SG1 they will lose fans and they know that so they will give her command back but they see how this very topic is creating angst and worry and also creating arguments and heated discussion, as well as thoughtful discussion, and TPTB are loving every minute of it. It is the game they play and they play it well - look how many years they have been jerking the J/S shippers around and all the crap they have pulled with that one aspect of the show - they will do the same with this because they know Carter is a MAIN character who is established, well liked, respected and adored by fans and they know the longer they play this up the more angst they create and the more fans who will watch. As they say in TV and movies and media and journalism everywhere, controversy sells tickets and the Carter vs. Mitchell for command of SG1 is certainly controversial in many, many ways and it sells tickets.

Just to show you some history on this issue from the ASJM thread I have pulled an example: SueS asked if Carter would be in charge and Mallozzi's response was unfair - he knew what she meant because the same question had been asked several times previous to hers, including by me. Here is the quote:

Originally Posted by JMallozzi
      Originally posted by SueS
      3. When Sam returns, who will be in command of SG-1?

When she returns, Mitchell is leading SG-1. Do you mean who will be leading the team when she re-joins SG-1?

I then wrote the following and reposted my original question which was:

In all fairness this question has been asked several times on this thread. See my question previoulsy posted at #516 which I will inlcude here :

Hi Joe:

(1) - Will the angst surrounding Carter vs. Mitchell in command of SG1 in Season 9 be one of the arcs you use to reel fans in for S9 by NOT answering the questions - (2) "will Carter be in charge of SG1 upon ATs return to the show" - with a yes or a no? or (3) "will Mitchell be in command of SG1 after Carter's return to the team" - with a yes aor a no?

If your answer to question (1) is yes then we know you will not answer (2) or (3) with a simple yes or no; however, if your answer to question (1) is NO please answer (2) and/or (3) with a yes or no.

I tried to ask my question in such a way that if he did answer he would have a hard time pulling the same stunt he pulled with SueS and he did not answer my question - he skipped it. You can see my question goes to the heart of the issue on the angst being created. Likewise, he did not answer SueS', nor did he answer any of the other dozen or so that asked the same or similar question, nor did he answer any of the other questions asked about Carter at all except to say she is "far, far away" and it is for professional reasons and then yesterday when he said she returns in the ep Beach Head and, in his oh-so-evasive manner,that it is possible that there may be a little something between her and Barrett (I certainly hope not since this aspect of the character has been beaten to death and is starting to smell like the dead horse it is (and it has been laying in the sun for way too long)). He even skipped over questions about whether Carter will use the Tok'ra hand device or if we will see anything about Joinar, etc. leading me to believe that they may have an almost total moratorium on Carter spoilers right now. I would not expect to hear much from them about Carter's character until later on or even after the new season starts if they can keep it quiet until then - let's hope there are some intrepid spies out there with the right connections who can find stuff out for us.

Also, remember that Mallozzi is famous for writing a lot but saying almost nothing and very rarely does he say anything substantive that gives away a real substantive spoiler. Sure he gives away bits and pieces here and there about plots and stuff but they have to do that because they have to let the fans know what is happening to hook them with something but nothing big (IIRC the Janet spoiler was a huge leak and no one at Bridge or SG said anything about it publicly before the ep aired) and I think they consider this Carter vs. Mitchell thing big because it is so controversial and it is creating buzz and discussion especially because Carter is an 8 year established, well like character and they have to be very careful with that (especially since they know the uproar they have caused for this charater over the past 2 years or so).

I still feel Carter will get command upon her return - there are just too many things wrong with it if she doesn't (from wrong, to insulting, to cowardly, to slap in the face to Carter, Carter fans and AT, to male chauvanistic, to just plain wrong, to it won't make sense after her 8 years experience, to what else could she possibly be doing if not leading, to unbelievable that Carter would choose to be 2IC to this newbie, to wrong, and did I say wrong?) Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hope it helps make at least one of you feel a little better about the silence on Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Right back at you! Feel the Samanda love (paraphrase from Sky)!

The closest we can come to that right now is the GABIT event waiting to be rescheduled (for the third time) in London. Some of us have tickets and will be going.

GABIT stands for "Get Amanda Back in Town" and was developed by a group of British fans who actually pooled their funds and incorporated themselves into a business/company which wants to bring scifi actors over to London on a one-to-one basis rather than fans having to go to large, crowded cons to see their favorite actor or actress.
        Amanda is their first project, but she's had to cancel out twice because of production schedule and then her pregnancy. But, I'm still holding on to my cocktail-party tickets (managed to get two of the last of those) and really hope this does happen. We will then spend an entire weekend just in AT's company and doing Amanda/Sam events through Sunday.

Tara3583 and her hubby, and Sky and her writer friend, Sue, may be attending. And I want Coley to get on her bike and travel on down to London town also. Won't that be fun? We can actually have our own table of Samanda folk!!

Of course, I'm not quite sure what will happen when some of us meet for the very first time - cough, er, I'm especially thinking of Royal Accountant and Jester, under the same roof, hitting the sloe gin, at the same time! Whoo whee - what an edition of Oh Yea Times that will produce!

LOL!! sounds like we are going to have alot of FUN My poor husband won't know what's hit him! <<<grin>>>
        ......TARA......

Comment

Hey I had a fun dream I'd like to share...I was in this house and it was dark...almost as though it were haunted...and in the middle of the room was a chamber with someone being held hostage inside (kind of like from Resurrection) but it had a chute down the middle of it. The chamber was being guarded by someone. At first, I thought my role in the dream was to observe the rescue...but I quickly learned that I was to play an integral role.

This is when it got interesting...Teal'c showed up and gave me my cue as we helped the poor hostage escape and I shielded the hostage from the bad guy with my body...

It was then that I realized that I was SAM! I think Teal'c even addressed me that way (but hey, it was a dream and I'm a little fuzzy on the details).

Now I've had SG-1 dreams before...usually I'm a nobody who either observes or supports something that SG-1 and Carter are doing...but this time, I actually WAS SAM CARTER.

That was fun.

Okay...you may all return to your regularly scheduled Samanda-ing.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Add a Caption:

I leave you with this photo and this witty ditty from my 4yr old.

Tonight after dinner, I was cleaning up the kitchen and noticed that someone had left an open bag of bread on the cabinet. Seeing as my hands were covered with soapy dish water, I chose to verbally ascertain who the culprit was.

So I shouted... "HEY!! Who left the bread out??"

A few minutes later my 4yr old came dancing into the kitchen merrily
            singing...

"Who left the bread out? who? who? who? who? who?"

Needless to say, my irritation quickly melted away.

Comment

Aw man, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I had to go look through the spoiler pages.

Well this blows my dreams all to hell ... Excalibur

Comment

Aw man, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I had to go look through the spoiler pages.

Well this blows my dreams all to hell ... Excalibur
                Hey, let the boys play with their swords ... as long as Sam gets to play with her Carter special!

I can hear your daughter singing now, "who let the sword out, who, who, who?!"

Don't panic, I'll tell you when to panic!

Comment

Psst ... just a whisper, not a shout

Soon the word may get out ...

Not much fuss at her request

So don't do more, just do less ...

Even though she'll be forlorn,

MajorSal

Glad you were born!!

Happy Non-Event!!!

Comment

*squeaks*
                    in a very small voice:
                    love ya sal, have a wonderful time.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I finally got to see the collection book after an ever-so-long download. Looking good. Gee, it's going to be even bigger and more complex than I thought . Unfortunately the majority of the pictures were showing up as red crosses, and right click show picture wouldn't work.

People please tell me what you truthfully think of this. I wouldn't want this pic to be taken the wrong way or anything. I'm just not sure if the idea is just too plain weird or not.

I've used some of astro's screencaps, one of Agent Dark's sig pics, and other pics that I've googled off the net. I hope this is ok, as I didn't have anything else to play around with. Every screencap program I've tried doesn't manage to capture anything but a black screen off the DVD's. So hope you don't mind.

By the way, incase you noticed, no more picture attatchments, I can link straight to my brand new photopage .
                      Last edited by deepspace; 16 May 2005, 06:46 AM.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Add a Caption:

Tonight after dinner, I was cleaning up the kitchen and noticed that someone had left an open bag of bread on the cabinet. Seeing as my hands were covered with soapy dish water, I chose to verbally ascertain who the culprit was.

singing...

Daniel to Sam>>>>I won't tell
                        Sam grinning>>>>Well with a great six like his can you blame me, after all what's a girl to do!
                        Jack>>>>Carter i do have my ear peace in you know! Soooo i have a great six eh, cool
                        ......TARA......

Comment

D: Damn! who didn't tell me it was black beanie day?
                          S: Hehe....
                          J: Sorry Danny boy, I'm sure there was a memo {whispers} Psst, Carter. My name tag is pokin out of yours...
                          S: Oops...

Add a Caption:

singing...

sigpic

Comment

i agree with bink, there may be a moritorium on carter spoilers

this could be because they don't know for sure what amanda is willinig to do. she could be like rda, cutting back her time and maybe only working 10 hours instead of 14. she could be physically unable to do things. she could have baby weight issues to work out so that they still need to cover that up which would limit how they'd tape her

there's a ton of things.

also, what is the one thing a LOT of fans are looking forward to? it's not watching daniel and vala romp around. it's not watching cam play with his sword, it's not even eager for details about the CLANK, it's info about sam.

many of the anti's are eager to see/find out if she's been reduced and knocked back down to her 'proper place', many of the sam fans are eager to see if sam will finally get her due and be treated what we see as properly

all in all, one of the few things fans are looking forward to, be it for good or bad, is how sam will be treated. and if that's the only real suspense they have going for them, they're gonna keep that close to their chests

I would also imagine that, given how drastically things are changing for s9, there's more than a few nervous folks at bridge. they may want all of us to think things are fun and fantastic and wonderful but the truth of the matter is the first few eps, teh ones that will be the most and dramatically different from the rest and the ones that will set things up for teh whole season, only have two of the four main cast members and - totally in my opinion - those two are the two weakest pertaining to storyline.

generally speaking, the jaffa rebellion isn't quite dramatically popular, and the whole ascended monkey business reached a plateau last year so they'er basically starting s9 out, minus two main stars, only having 2 with weak continuing storylines, introducing one main character, two recurring and one guest star

talk about starting a new season with your second string
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Add a Caption:

)
                              Daniel : Damnit!!!! I forgot to tape Desperate Housewives!!
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Add a Caption:

Daniel: Dammit Jack, why do I always have to wear the Intellectual Hat? Why can't I wear a Tough-Guy Hat like you and Carter?

Jack: Because you're the intellectual, and we're the tough-guys. Now get over it, Rune-Boy.

Sam: Yeah, Rune-Boy...

Comment

Working...
                                X