Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    I agree with the 'not in competition' concept, Jckfan - but it's so *easy* to slip into that I'll be surprised if the writers can avoid it. AT and TR wanted their characters to be friends - as the two main women on the show, they wanted to show them as friends and not competitors - and I think they did a great job of creating and showing a friendship between the two with the very little screen time that they had together.
    In listening to some of the Season 7 commentary, the audio commentary for Homecoming in particular, I think we have a possible situation they can model a Vala and Sam meeting after.

It's when Lord Yu's First Prime is talking to Teal'c. Apparently, CJ had initially played the scene with antagonism and anger...and the director told him to do it again, this time without the anger. What you end up with is two very noble first primes talking to each other in a very honorable and respectful tone. They know what the other has experienced like few others would.

The director realized that by taking out the anger element, these two men could connect and build a rapport on their shared experiences. No competition. No hatred. Just a mutual respect for the other.

This is what they should do with Sam and Vala...but with a slight twist because Sam would more than likely be wary of Vala after Daniel's report following the PU mission...or at least she should be wary until Vala proves herself...

Oh...by the way...another thing I liked about PU: General Hammond getting in the action and taking on the dangerous tasks.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Was referencing back to an earlier post and saw Uber's Ultimate Sam banner again - and it gave me such a good feeling that I figured I'd bring it forward for everyone to enjoy again.

Sam Rocks!

Uber's Ultimate Sam Banner
      Kinda says it all, doesn't it!!

Comment

Was referencing back to an earlier post and saw Uber's Ultimate Sam banner again - and it gave me such a good feeling that I figured I'd bring it forward for everyone to enjoy again.

Sam Rocks!

Uber's Ultimate Sam Banner

Thank you.

I think you AstroG were the one I told what I was working on...boy have I been delayed by my real life and projects for clients, etc....

CURSE YOU RL!!!

...but I hope to finish that project soon...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          In listening to some of the Season 7 commentary, the audio commentary for Homecoming in particular, I think we have a possible situation they can model a Vala and Sam meeting after.

It's when Lord Yu's First Prime is talking to Teal'c. Apparently, CJ had initially played the scene with antagonism and anger...and the director told him to do it again, this time without the anger. What you end up with is two very noble first primes talking to each other in a very honorable and respectful tone. They know what the other has experienced like few others would.

The director realized that by taking out the anger element, these two men could connect and build a rapport on their shared experiences. No competition. No hatred. Just a mutual respect for the other.

This is what they should do with Sam and Vala...but with a slight twist because Sam would more than likely be wary of Vala after Daniel's report following the PU mission...or at least she should be wary until Vala proves herself...

Oh...by the way...another thing I liked about PU: General Hammond getting in the action and taking on the dangerous tasks.
          Good point regarding the dynamics of the characters' personalities. And, yes, I agree - Sam has been already taken in by RepliCarter and is still feeling the guilt and repercussions of that. So Vala would have to prove herself to Carter in some type of scenario in order for them to even reach a place to share each other's experiences. Perhaps they would be involved in an encounter with a mutual enemy and have to depend on each other to be saved; better yet, Sam is injured and Vala rescues her even with great risk to herself. From this, the bond starts to form.

What do we know so far about both women? Vala, herself, seems a pretty tough cookie when we first meet her in PU - scrappy as heck, exuding a rough kind of physicality and sexuality, lying to save her skin, and very, very defensive. However, if we are to believe her story about being a host to Goa'uld for many years and then being almost beaten to death by the local population once the symbiote is gone ... it seems that she may be telling the truth because she can use the hand device to both injure and heal (a Goa'uld property) ... and it could be that she's carrying some deep scars, both physical and emotional.

So, Vala seems to be a survivor ... in many ways, Sam Carter is a survivor too. When her back was up against the wall in recent episodes (Grace and Death Knell as examples), she used her wits and determination to save herself. Therefore, right there, Sam and Vala have something in common.

Even more so, going back in her past and dealing with Jolinar's invasion of her body and even the Entity possessing her and Fifth torturing her, Sam has memories of being victimized. We have never really seen how Sam has fully dealt with all these acts of the enemy. Vala seems to carry the same kinds of post-trauma with her. Is this is why she's turned into such a tough and rough manipulator? Can she really trust anyone but herself?

On the other hand, Carter has always felt supported by her teammates, even in her darkest hours. Maybe Sam can teach this woman to regain trust and maybe Vala can teach Sam how to utilize the powers/vestiges of her Tok'ra knowledge to both heal and defend - hand devices and whatever else runs deep in the blood (gosh, I like that phrase - it just came to me ... ha! You'll see it appear somewhere in one of my future fanfics!).

These two actors, if given the chance, are quite capable of some terrific dramatic moments. Both have won Saturns this year alone. I'm betting that they could bring a lot to the development of both characters if given the chance with some decent and mature script writing.

I'm starting to want to see Vala and Sam Carter meet and develop a working relationship much more than the initial Vala and Daniel dance. Heck, the writers were just going for the "sex sells" and cutesy poses in PU. Daniel gets roughed up and propositioned by a smart-talking hussy. Daniel reacts. Typical bedroom humor and facial expressions. Yadda, yadda, yadda ...

Let's see them take Vala into some deeper dialogue with an equal in valor and combat and skill and gender! Let's see how she and Sam would relate to each other and the commonality of their past experiences.

Only one problem here ... will an all-male team of writers be able to do this?!
          Last edited by ChopinGal; 07 May 2005, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
            So, this woman seems to be a survivor ... in many ways, Sam Carter is a survivor too. When her back was up against the wall in recent episodes (Grace and Death Knell as examples), she used her wits and determination to save herself. Therefore, right there, Sam and Vala have something in common.

Even more so, going back in her past and dealing with Jolinar's invasion of her body and even the Entity possessing her and Fifth torturing her, Sam has memories of being victimized. We have never really seen how Sam has fully dealt with all these acts of the enemy. Vala seems to carry the same kinds of post-trauma with her. Is this is why she's turned into such a tough and rough manipulator? Can she really trust anyone but herself?

On the other hand, Carter has always felt supported by her teammates, even in her darkest hours. [/I]Maybe Sam can teach this woman to regain trust and maybe Vala can teach Sam how to utilize the powers/vestiges of her Tok'ra knowledge to both heal and defend (hand devices and whatever else runs deep in the blood - gosh, I like that phrase - it just came to me ... ha! You'll see it appear somewhere in one of my future fanfics!).

These two actors, if given the chance, are quite capable of some terrific dramatic moments.

I'm starting to want to see Vala and Sam Carter meet and develop a working relationship much more than the initial Vala and Daniel dance.

Let's see them take Vala into some deeper dialogue with an equal in valor and combat and skill and gender! Let's see how she and Sam would relate to each other and the commonality of their past experiences.
            What a fantastic post, Chopingal!

Comment

Good point regarding the dynamics of the characters' personalities. And, yes, I agree, Astro - Sam has been already taken in by Replicarter and is still feeling the guilt and repercussions of that. So Vala would have to prove herself to Carter in some type of scenario in order for them to even reach a place to share each other's experiences. Perhaps they would be involved in an encounter with a mutual enemy and have to depend on each other to be saved; better yet, Sam is injured and Vala rescues her even with great risk to herself. From this, the bond starts to form.

What do we know so far about both women? Vala, herself, seems a pretty tough cookie when we first meet her in PU - scrappy as heck, exuding a rough kind of physicality and sexuality, lying to save her skin, and very, very defensive. However, if we are to believe her story about being a host to Goa'uld for many years and then being almost beaten to death by the local population once the symbiote is gone ... it seems that she may be telling the truth because she can use the hand device to both injure and heal (a Goa'uld property) ... and it could be that she's carrying some deep scars, both physical and emotional.

So, Vala seems to be a survivor ... in many ways, Sam Carter is a survivor too. When her back was up against the wall in recent episodes (Grace and Death Knell as examples), she used her wits and determination to save herself. Therefore, right there, Sam and Vala have something in common.

On the other hand, Carter has always felt supported by her teammates, even in her darkest hours. Maybe Sam can teach this woman to regain trust and maybe Vala can teach Sam how to utilize the powers/vestiges of her Tok'ra knowledge to both heal and defend - hand devices and whatever else runs deep in the blood (gosh, I like that phrase - it just came to me ... ha! You'll see it appear somewhere in one of my future fanfics!).

These two actors, if given the chance, are quite capable of some terrific dramatic moments. Both have won Saturns this year alone. I'm betting that they could bring a lot to the development of both characters if given the chance with some decent and mature script writing.

I'm starting to want to see Vala and Sam Carter meet and develop a working relationship much more than the initial Vala and Daniel dance. Heck, the writers were just going for the "sex sells" and cutesy poses in PU. Daniel gets roughed up and propositioned by a smart-talking hussy. Daniel reacts. Typical bedroom humor and facial expressions. Yadda, yadda, yadda ...

It will definitely be interesting to watch and see if the writers have delved as deeply into the positive plotline CB's addition to the show could possibly have. With RDA gone this year, and the addition of two strong, recurring (three if you include AT) female characters, we might actually be able to see a slight change to the so-called boy's club.

Although I have to admit, your last statement really says it all.

Comment

that is the question.

time will tell.

i mean, look at the other opportunities they've missed, sam/sarah (gardner), sam/kiana, sam/anna

and hey, if the boys can't pull it off, we'll always have fic
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

that is the question.

time will tell.

i mean, look at the other opportunities they've missed, sam/sarah (gardner), sam/kiana, sam/anna

and hey, if the boys can't pull it off, we'll always have fic
                  LOL My gut reaction is "We'll always have Paris." Wasn't that the famous line Bogart said to Bergman in Casablanca? I think marking all these term papers is affecting my brain ....

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                    Aww, ChopinGal you are so wonderfully sweet.

My parents are out of town and as a Mother's Day present, my husband is watching the kids while I lounge in quiet bliss at my parent's house. For the first time in nearly four years, I've been absolutely alone with my own thoughts. Hmm...maybe that's what I need to connect with my muse??
                    Alas, it may be another year or so before she returns to me, but it was fun while it lasted.

Kat
                    Your husband is a keeper for sure! And he must let you find more time alone in the days ahead ... because, my dear, you've got some very good stories in you just waiting to come out!

Tell him you'll be a better person for it!

Peace and a very Happy Mother's Day to you.

CG/Jester

Comment

While we're waiting for the new season to begin (er, or Fast Forward to Ep 6 or 7) ... why don't we play some more games? Following Sky's example of Sam's favorite TV show ... let me take this one step further:

What if Sam Carter and original SG1, Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c, were recast in a new television show? They have been taken out of their scifi element and thrust into a whole new landscape/arc, but with their SG1 personalities intact.

What would they be doing? What kinds of roles would they be playing? And what would be the name of the show? Would it be a drama? A soap? A sitcom?

Let your minds and Muses wander ... and share your ideas here. And, Astro/Sky, maybe we can then vote on the best suggestion.

Remember: it can't be scifi. This is your big chance! You get to play TPTB. You're the Producer! You have to sell this show to your fellow Samandans! Will we want to watch it every week and miss it off season? I promise to join in too ... after my final grades are in.

Comment

[COLOR=DarkRed]These two actors, if given the chance, are quite capable of some terrific dramatic moments. Both have won Saturns this year alone. I'm betting that they could bring a lot to the development of both characters if given the chance with some decent and mature script writing.
                        [/COLOR]

Excellent post, ChopinGal. Taking off on a couple of your points above--I think *mature* is the key word. I bet it's not necessarily even so much a male/female writer issue as a maturity issue.
                        I think it would be great if Vala provided an opportunity for more *Sam* development.

Comment

While we're waiting for the new season to begin (er, or Fast Forward to Ep 6 or 7) ... why don't we play some more games? Following Sky's example of Sam's favorite TV show ... let me take this one step further:

What if Sam Carter and original SG1, Jack, Daniel, and Teal'c, were recast in a new television show? They have been taken out of their scifi element and thrust into a whole new landscape/arc, but with their SG1 personalities intact.

What would they be doing? What kinds of roles would they be playing? And what would be the name of the show? Would it be a drama? A soap? A sitcom?

Let your minds and Muses wander ... and share your ideas here. And, Astro/Sky, maybe we can then vote on the best suggestion.

Remember: it can't be scifi. This is your big chance! You get to play TPTB. You're the Producer! You have to sell this show to your fellow Samandans! Will we want to watch it every week and miss it off season? I promise to join in too ... after my final grades are in.
                          Good one. This could keep us going for a long time. Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is the Fire station story we already saw in Changeling. Rescue SG1.
                          But other than that, some kind of spy team comes to mind...something like the old Mission Impossible? Jack is Jim Phelps; Sam is Barney (the tech guy); Daniel is Cinnamon; Teal'c is Willy. (Some gender changes there, but why can't Daniel be the touch of glamor?)

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                            Good one. This could keep us going for a long time. Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is the Fire station story we already saw in Changeling. Rescue SG1.
                            But other than that, some kind of spy team comes to mind...something like the old Mission Impossible? Jack is Jim Phelps; Sam is Barney (the tech guy); Daniel is Cinnamon; Teal'c is Willy. (Some gender changes there, but why can't Daniel be the touch of glamor?)

Trumpets Blare and Angels Sing
                            Jckfan did the 6600 Thing

Beans galore
                            Blue jello too
                            Recognition to the
                            Special Few
                            Who hit the jackpot now and then
                            When posting on multiples of ten

Let's move ahead
                            To next 10 x 10
                            Lots more rep
                            Still left to spread

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55

... some kind of spy team comes to mind...something like the old Mission Impossible? Jack is Jim Phelps; Sam is Barney (the tech guy); Daniel is Cinnamon; Teal'c is Willy. (Some gender changes there, but why can't Daniel be the touch of glamor?)
                              Yes, Danny Boy showing some glam ... spy? criminal? Hmmm ....

Comment

Yes, Danny Boy showing some glam ... spy? criminal? Hmmm ....
                                He does clean up nicely. Remember that pinstripe suit?

Comment

Working...
                                X