Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    i won't watch horror movies either. and i have to be in just the right mood to watch a really violent movie, like a van damme or such others that are all action.

it just doesn't appeal to me.yeah, i know it's fake, i know it's all staged and the work of some very talented sfx crews, but i'm just not in the mood for the super violence and language.

now, i use language, some of it the 4 letter words you're thinking of but anything used to extreme just gets on my nerves
    i'm a BIG horror/fantasy film lover! but i'm not a fan of the Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street movies, because all there is to them is killing ppl. but i LOVE being scared, and i love seeing the anything-is-possible-with-scifi-and-horror films. i've noticed that my tolerance for violence, though, has diminished with time. and what some have said about being able to handle violence in fics better than seeing it on your tv screen - i'm the same. and while i love sam whumpage fics, but i can't take her dying... (i'm afraid of majorsam's newest fic. )

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

great fic

http://www.samanthacarter.tk/

go to the recent fic and then it's called 'better part of valor'

it's jacob's pov, but about sam, and post death knell
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
        deepspace mentioned the commentary on Red Sky earlier today, and I know we’ve talked about it before, but I decided to record some of it. The commentators are Amanda, Martin Wood, and James Tichenor, who doesn’t say much in these clips. Thanks to astrog for the pictures.

The first part is a great conversation about wanting to see the team screw up and deal with the consequences. It's broken down into 3 clips.

Part 1
        Part 2
        Part 3

Next up is the great fruit scene in 2 clips.
        Fruit 1
        Fruit 2

This then leads into a discussion of how comfortable AT is playing Carter, and some insight into how she approached the role going into the fifth season
        Playing Carter 1
        Playing Carter 2

Finally, some comments from AT about understanding the physics behind the show, and some compliments from Martin
        Physics
        Compliment

By the way, I probably won’t be able to keep these clips out there for a long time, since the files are awfully big and eat up a lot of my available space at geocities. So if I need to make room for new clips in a couple of weeks or so, these may have to go. Sorry.

NC
        Great clips, NC! Thanks so much for posting them for us!

Now, as a college professor, I have to say that I'm sorry that AT felt stupid when using food to try and help people understand the physics... Usually we teachers are proud of anything we use as a visual aid when explaining abstract concepts within our field to those outside of our field. So the donut and the fruit - they can be great visual aids... I'll use whatever's handy - and if people's eyes spark with understanding, then I'm proud of that salt-shaker-cum-volcano or that donut-cum-wormhole. And besides, it's fun! So, I'm a bit disappointed that AT thought the food-visuals were stupid... in education, we rarely have cool scale models of everthing - especially not when we want them... like when sitting in IHOP with a friend... and of course, they want me (their geologist friend) to explain the earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean. I'll gladly use whatever props are on the table.

And... when they talk about wanting to see the 4 main heroes fail... ala Red Sky... (or Gemini... both are major Carter screw-ups)... I agree with some of what they said, and disagree with other parts of it. I can understand that if you allow the heroes to fail in an episode or so, then it adds suspense and mystery to subsequent episodes... because you won't know that they are going to succeed every time... maybe they will fail again.

However, they are supposed to be heroes. That's what they are. So, if they are going to be written as failing, then it has to be written well and the episode has to be well crafted. They can try their hardest and - it's just not enough. They can give a heroic effort - and it's just not enough. They fail, but it's acceptable (as long as it doesn't happen every episode). What you should not do, however, is write the heroes as stupid (or dumbassify them as Carterslave coined). It's one thing to try your hardest and fail, it's quite another to actually screw up... Heroes can screw up - if the screw up only puts them at risk - or they are allowed to salvage things and put them right so that no one else gets hurt. But if you simply write the hero as screwing up and they put others at risk and are not allowed to rectify things... then they can very quickly lose that 'hero status'.

In Red Sky, Carter was written to symbolize a lot of human arrogance that is done everyday on our planet and has been throughout history. We juryrig something, or we take a shortcut... and we make things work...but at what cost? In Red Sky, they took a look at one possible cost and some of those ramifications. They revisited the same storyline in '48 Hours' - and again, Carter was the whipping-boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
          Don't you think Sam made a cute soldier as a kid?????

I think Sam was playing with rockets as a kid

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
            that was great! yes, please continue (if that's good with everyone?).

sally
            It's definitely good with me (for deepspace to continue her story)

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

snip...

And... when they talk about wanting to see the 4 main heroes fail... ala Red Sky... (or Gemini... both are major Carter screw-ups)... I agree with some of what they said, and disagree with other parts of it. I can understand that if you allow the heroes to fail in an episode or so, then it adds suspense and mystery to subsequent episodes... because you won't know that they are going to succeed every time... maybe they will fail again.

However, they are supposed to be heroes. That's what they are. So, if they are going to be written as failing, then it has to be written well and the episode has to be well crafted. They can try their hardest and - it's just not enough. They can give a heroic effort - and it's just not enough. They fail, but it's acceptable (as long as it doesn't happen every episode). What you should not do, however, is write the heroes as stupid (or dumbassify them as Carterslave coined). It's one thing to try your hardest and fail, it's quite another to actually screw up... Heroes can screw up - if the screw up only puts them at risk - or they are allowed to salvage things and put them right so that no one else gets hurt. But if you simply write the hero as screwing up and they put others at risk and are not allowed to rectify things... then they can very quickly lose that 'hero status'.

In Red Sky, Carter was written to symbolize a lot of human arrogance that is done everyday on our planet and has been throughout history. We juryrig something, or we take a shortcut... and we make things work...but at what cost? In Red Sky, they took a look at one possible cost and some of those ramifications. They revisited the same storyline in '48 Hours' - and again, Carter was the whipping-boy.
              I think that one of the things that Martin Wood was saying is that in episodic television, too often there is no suspense, because you know that the heroes are going to survive and save the day every single week. I think that both he and Amanda were saying that every once in a while, the heroes should screw up and have to deal with the consequences, just to shake up our complacency. We as the audience know that the stars will be back the next week, so there's usually never a real sense of peril. When I listened to this commentary again, it just made me think of Heroes, when they decided to show us that we can't take things for granted. Heroes can die, even on tv.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                Now, as a college professor, I have to say that I'm sorry that AT felt stupid when using food to try and help people understand the physics... Usually we teachers are proud of anything we use as a visual aid when explaining abstract concepts within our field to those outside of our field. So the donut and the fruit - they can be great visual aids... I'll use whatever's handy - and if people's eyes spark with understanding, then I'm proud of that salt-shaker-cum-volcano or that donut-cum-wormhole. And besides, it's fun! So, I'm a bit disappointed that AT thought the food-visuals were stupid... in education, we rarely have cool scale models of everthing - especially not when we want them... like when sitting in IHOP with a friend... and of course, they want me (their geologist friend) to explain the earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean. I'll gladly use whatever props are on the table.
                Visual aids? What visual aids? Can't you just use the waving your hands proof? (as in, if I wave my hands enough, they'll buy what I'm saying. )

Actually, one of my tricks is to place an invisible blanket over my students in a class to demonstrate 3D surfaces. I just don't tell them an invisible alien named Urgo is telling me to do it.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by SamFan31
                  This report builds upon the lead provided by sg-1fanintn and previous sightings of suspected Sam activity and possessions (see the links below)….

Naquada Problems

Cute Copter

One of the Samanda cub reporters set upon the path to answer Astrog’s question “Where’s that Cartercopter?”

After much research and sleuthing about there was a sighting of our Sam! She is indeed on a mission that is concealed from us. Her extraordinary naquada enhancement of the Cartercopter has proven more successful than her wildest dreams.

There is an unauthenticated report that this is just one of many far away sites she will visit before being called home. Journalistic ethics prevents the reporter from revealing sources of this scuttlebutt.

For more details on this amazing actual aircraft visit the following site.

Cartercopters
                  Have been away a couple days ... hard to catch up ... but your copter manips are terrific ... still LOL!

Comment

this is somewhat OT, but it does segueway back to sam, so...

spoilers for s7's heroes 2

Spoiler:
                    how about instead of janet dying in heroes 2, she was just horribly maimed? like, what if when the jaffa shot at her, he hit her leg and it was blown away? she'd be missing a leg forever.

i understand what the writers were tying to do - show the ugliness and finality of war and death - but i also think they could have suggested that in my scenario above. i imagine that janet would have had to resign her commission, but i can't believe she'd lose her career as a doctor. i'd also imagine the emotional fallout would make her never want to go through the gate again, and she'd also not want to risk cassie being without a mother 'again'.

heroes 2 was *very* powerful, but... and seeing as the show's never brought up janet again, i think my scenario would have worked better. what do you guys think?

to get back to our sam; i think if janet has survived, sam would have benefitted from janet's guidance concerning her personal life.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                      Oh, oh. Will I won't I will I won't I. I was playing around with Paint shop Pro 5 today, figuring out some of the things it can do. I just chose to put together some of Astro's pictures because I had them saved to my hardrive. I don't want her to take this the wrong way though, especially as I plagued her with PM's today.
                      Wow! You are certainly on a roll with your Muse, ds! Great job and your epic story of Samanda under attack is awesome! More, please ... more!

Comment

Bahahaha at your little Samanda Fic Deepspace!!! Had me lol'ing
                        And I dunno if it was just me, but did I notice alot of Agent Dark whumping going on?

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          this is somewhat OT, but it does segueway back to sam, so...

spoilers for s7's heroes 2

Spoiler:
                          how about instead of janet dying in heroes 2, she was just horribly maimed? like, what if when the jaffa shot at her, he hit her leg and it was blown away? she'd be missing a leg forever.

i understand what the writers were tying to do - show the ugliness and finality of war and death - but i also think they could have suggested that in my scenario above. i imagine that janet would have had to resign her commission, but i can't believe she'd lose her career as a doctor. i'd also imagine the emotional fallout would make her never want to go through the gate again, and she'd also not want to risk cassie being without a mother 'again'.

heroes 2 was *very* powerful, but... and seeing as the show's never brought up janet again, i think my scenario would have worked better. what do you guys think?

to get back to our sam; i think if janet has survived, sam would have benefitted from janet's guidance concerning her personal life.

sally
                          Excellent suggestion, Sally (tried to give you rep, but it won't let me). And your suggestion could have led to other great storylines and drama. And I don't know that she would have had to leave the military, I just read an article about a current military officer who lost his lower leg (from the knee down, I think) and yet he worked his way up to running triathilons on it and he passed the military fitness test and is now back - in command- of his unit in Iraq!

Your suggestion (for an alternate way to bring reality to the show without killing characters off) is similar to my suggestion that they can show the heroes failing without making them look stupid (or like they have a major concussion). The answer lies in going for the more artful storyline instead of the 'simple bludgeon effect' to get the point across.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                            And I dunno if it was just me, but did I notice alot of Agent Dark whumping going on?
                            Yeah - how's that mysterious headache, AD?

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                              deepspace mentioned the commentary on Red Sky earlier today, and I know we’ve talked about it before, but I decided to record some of it. The commentators are Amanda, Martin Wood, and James Tichenor, who doesn’t say much in these clips. Thanks to astrog for the pictures.

<snip>

By the way, I probably won’t be able to keep these clips out there for a long time, since the files are awfully big and eat up a lot of my available space at geocities. So if I need to make room for new clips in a couple of weeks or so, these may have to go. Sorry.

NC
                              NC, thanks for posting all the pics and audio clips for Red Sky. I haven't listened to the audio commentary yet but your clips make me realize I've missed some good stuff. I made a note of AT's comment re: "great vehicular transportation devices". I wonder if she already knew about the Cartercopter... Thanks again for your effort to put it all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                                I think our little Royal Page believes in "equal opportunity employment" - so many requests for Sam whumpage lately, it was nice to see Agent Dark taking a few hits too.

Comment

Working...
                                X