Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strix varia
    Two interesting Sam-focused stories. No whumping, really, but... interesting.
    I guess maybe I could classify them for psychic whumping... hmmmm...

Beautiful Dreamer
    http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...uldreamer.html
    and
    Dream a Little Dream
    http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/17/dreama.html
    by The Prophet

I'm going to check out some of this author's other stories, too.
    can you tell me what the summeries are? i have so many fics piled up as it is (i'm on about five fic lists), that i just want to know what i'm getting into.

okay, i have some fics to recommend myself. these are all sam/jack, but the main focus is sam whumpage.

'prisoners of war', by arrietty
    http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/29/prisonersof.html

'prisoners of fear', by wendy gilliatt
    http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/83/prisonersof.html

'PoW', by kat h.
    http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/24/pow.html

'POW, to live again', by kat h.
    http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/37/powto.html

*warning - super tear jerker*
    'alone', by alicat
    http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/66/alone.html

'blinking', by Suz
    http://suzvoy.tripod.com/sj/blinking.html

'broken', by sharim
    http://www.samandjack.net/stories/sj.../shbroken.html

I can't find the link for a fic called 'blindfold', by michelle mcardle. it's about sam being blinded. i've got it on my hard drive it anyone wants it.

'leaving the lights on', by alli snow
    http://www.samandjack.net/stories/sj...elightson.html

I have two fics on hard drive that i can't find on the web. they're called:
    'ww3 1 - active duty' and 'ww3 2 - 'bathurst', by vanessa nichols. if you want to read them, let me know.

i haven't read them in a while, but i know i enjoyed them a lot.

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
      Hype, hype, hype......right now, it's all about hype. He may not even really feel that way......
      uh... he does.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
        I winced when I read what Michael Shanks said about PU being his favourite episode for the last couple of years. I know he was the main character, but oh help, how could it be his favourite?! The rest of SG1 weren’t even in it.
        Hope I did the quote thing right.

I know this is a thread about Sam, and I'll get there in a second. But, having just seen Prometheus Unbound for the first time (we're a wee bit behind in Canada) I want to say that although I usually detest Daniel (sorry guys - he's not everyone's favorite) and all Daniel-centered episodes, I simply adored PU. I think it was the best Stargate episode I've seen in years. Yes, I know it didn't feature any of the regular cast except Daniel (Jack for maybe 5 minutes doesn't count), but it was wonderful from beginning to end. And this comes from someone who doesn't even usually like the character (and my, but doesn't MS have lovely arms now - akin to Jamie Bamber's - sweet). Team episodes are great, but a couple of times a year, it's nice to see really focussed character eps. Okay, that's all I'll say on that.

Back to Sam...

She's the main reason I watch Stargate. Always has been, always will be. I loved her in the first six seasons. Not so much in the last two. So everyone knows - I'm not a S/J shipper. I didn't hate Pete, but didn't much care for him either. I think Sam as a character has suffered in the last two years with a little too much emphasis on who she's dating or not dating.

Personally, I don't see her and Jack able to maintain a real relationship (they're just too different), and I'd love for her to come back from her 5 ep hiatus in season 9 saying something along the lines of... well, we had a wonderful time for about a week, but unfortunately it's not going to be a long term thing. Too bad. Move on.

What I'd also like in season nine is for her to continue leading the team. I'd hate to see it taken away from her - and I won't watch if it is - it would be career ending for her, and what a slap in the face. She makes mistakes, so what? Like Jack was perfect as a leader. I don't want to see her relegated to her lab all the time. I want to see the combination of soldier and scientist that worked perfectly in the first 6 seasons. Sure, let her have a personal life, but for goodness sake, it doesn't need to be the single focus of her character for episodes at a time, or the sole purpose for her existence on the show. And lately, it certainly seems that way (at least part of the time).

I like Sam... season eight had it's ups and downs, but given a little focussed time with Sam actually leading SG-1 on missions, it'll be great.

LL

Comment

it would be nice if we can find a nice mix. Sam back in command of her team, allowed to be a bit snarkier than she usually is. cam fitting in (dare we hope that we get the same bit of enthusiam we got in jonas?) and both of them arrriving at some sort of agreement.

I enjoyed season 6 and it'd be nice if they coudl recapture that magic. I think in all of s6, there are only 2 eps that i don't totally enjoy. Abyss because i'm a wuss, and sight unseen because it's so cheesy (but, you know, invisible alien creatures, it was sorta doomed from the get go)

I would love to see sam in command, making hte tough decisions and having to live with them
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I don't see how Carter could *not* be leading the team when she comes back... it's been her team for a year. In the scope of fairness.. it would be incredibly unfair to expect her to be a part of it and not be leading it. Can't wait to see how they handle it, but it would have to be a damn convincing reason for her not to be in charge... ie she doesn't want to be. "Oh we promised this guy" just wouldn't cut it....

What I'd really love to see in s9 is Sam's darker side explored more. I was reading the other day an old interview with Amanda where she was talking about writing an ep. The ep focussed on Sam dealing with killing people and how she handles it. Shame it never saw the light of day....

I'd love to see her end up in a situation that she can't fix, that shows off her darker impulses.. just for contrast. One of those deals where she has to hurt people as part of the process and how she deals with that as a leader, a soldier and a human being. Sam has the strength and capacity to lead... to be a great leader.. but I don't think we've ever truly seen how she deals with the dirty side of what that can entail.... I think it would be fun to see those elements of Carter challenged.

But that's just me.. and I'm writing a fic that does exactly that...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Myrth

What I'd really love to see in s9 is Sam's darker side explored more. I was reading the other day an old interview with Amanda where she was talking about writing an ep. The ep focussed on Sam dealing with killing people and how she handles it. Shame it never saw the light of day....

I'd love to see her end up in a situation that she can't fix, that shows off her darker impulses.. just for contrast. One of those deals where she has to hurt people as part of the process and how she deals with that as a leader, a soldier and a human being. Sam has the strength and capacity to lead... to be a great leader.. but I don't think we've ever truly seen how she deals with the dirty side of what that can entail.... I think it would be fun to see those elements of Carter challenged.

me too. i'd like to see how she'd handle a situation like season 4's 'the other side'. let's say it happened now, with sam in charge, with all of her experience. and let's say that she went the way that jack had (which she did in the ep), which was go with it because it'll buy us good things. and then they/she got burned. would sam trust again? she's got a lot of jack 'and' daniel in her (soldier and scientist), so which one would lead in any given situation? i'd imagine seeing a bit of sam's trust being withered over time, until she'd be closer to jack in nature than daniel. i wouldn't like to see that, but i think it's logical, with all the darkness they've come across. I think daniel's gotten a bit withered in the trust department too.

sally, who's now off to get her tape ready to record GEMINI!
              sally

sigpic

Comment

hey, look, it's sam fic
                http://home.earthlink.net/~leptopus/id13.html

and by an author who's new to me
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lantesh_luster

I like Sam... season eight had it's ups and downs, but given a little focussed time with Sam actually leading SG-1 on missions, it'll be great.

LL
                  Hey welcome aboard lantesh_luster, great comments on Sam

Am I right in thinking you wrote a fanfic called Tunnel Vision? If so that was a great story

Myrth, you are my new best friend!
                  I too would love to see Dark!Sam explored alot more, considering I think they missed an oppurtunity to do it with RepliCarter. Looking forward to the fic!

Comment

w00t!

And agreed.. that's the premise of the fic... taking the concept of repli!carter and going a step further.. it's working title is killer!carter.. that should be a clue.. lol... I loved Gemini..
                    Spoiler:
                    but I don't think Sam's reaction to repli!cater's true nature was given enough screen time..

Chapter 1 is done, you can read it if you like (I need all the feedback I can get on this.. lol)... PM me an e-mail addy if you want to...

Originally posted by Agent_Dark

Myrth, you are my new best friend!
                    I too would love to see Dark!Sam explored alot more, considering I think they missed an oppurtunity to do it with RepliCarter. Looking forward to the fic!
                    sigpic

Comment

I don't see how Carter could *not* be leading the team when she comes back... it's been her team for a year. In the scope of fairness.. it would be incredibly unfair to expect her to be a part of it and not be leading it. Can't wait to see how they handle it, but it would have to be a damn convincing reason for her not to be in charge... ie she doesn't want to be. "Oh we promised this guy" just wouldn't cut it....

Myrth , I totally agree that Sam be the leader of SG1. She has far more experience in of world travel the BB character. She proven herself to be a worthy leader. You don't give someone a team leadership position because he got badly shot up.

As for the darker side. Well I wouldn't call it darker but the more human side of Carter the soldier/scientist. To be given situations that she has to accept that she has no quick solution would bring out the powerful leader and woman that she is. I think that Carter, if TPTB write it properly can make an impact far more than what TPTB have written for her charcater so far. Sorry am rambling now...will stop.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        I can't find the link for a fic called 'blindfold', by michelle mcardle. it's about sam being blinded. i've got it on my hard drive it anyone wants it.
                        Oh please, please, please, please. This is a great story! I found a cached copy of it on Google (apparently it was in the Heliopolis archive at some point) but the ending is missing!

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                          it would be nice if we can find a nice mix. Sam back in command of her team, allowed to be a bit snarkier than she usually is. cam fitting in (dare we hope that we get the same bit of enthusiam we got in jonas?) and both of them arrriving at some sort of agreement.

I enjoyed season 6 and it'd be nice if they coudl recapture that magic. I think in all of s6, there are only 2 eps that i don't totally enjoy. Abyss because i'm a wuss, and sight unseen because it's so cheesy (but, you know, invisible alien creatures, it was sorta doomed from the get go)

I would love to see sam in command, making hte tough decisions and having to live with them
                          I'm sorry. I have to make this comment because I find this Sky's comment so confusing. This is not to be an attack on Sky in any way. I'm very curious because this is not the first time I've seen someone make a comment like this regarding Abyss. It seems as if many people have issues regarding this episode because it was so violent. I have to admit this is one of my all-time favorite episodes. I've probably watched it a half dozen times if not more. I can watch it over and over and never tire. The script was wonderful, the set was fantastic, and the acting was brilliant by everyone involved. That and Jack does pain oh so well.

The thing most confusing is when I hear someone from this thread say I'm a wuss regarding this type of episode, because most of us seem to have heart pulpulations anytime Sam is whumped in fanfic. Can I just ask how this is any different? I understand that it may be because it's much more real on-screen perhaps?? Much more violent than most people could/would imagine on their own?

I must be an odd one here because part of the reason I don't read as much whumping stories as I would like is due to the fact that most things I see on Stargate are much more tame than what my imagination sees when I'm actually reading fanfic. I think that's why I love reading so much because everthing is so much more vivid in my own mind than it could ever be on television.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic. It's just been a question that's been stirring around my brain for quite some time now and I figured I'd use Sky's post as a means to bring it up.

Kat

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                            can you tell me what the summeries are? i have so many fics piled up as it is (i'm on about five fic lists), that i just want to know what i'm getting into.
                            In the first one, Teal'c, Jack, and Jonas get trapped in their dreams and Sam rescues them.

In the second one, the dream "menace" comes back, and you find out the rest of the story. Sam saves the day again.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

I totally agree with you. I'd love to see Sam remain in charge and have to deal with life and death situations and the aftermath of her decisions. I always loved season 6 and I was very unhappy to see Jonas leave. I thought he developed the character very well......and although I love Daniel, I still miss Jonas. So I too am hoping that Ben Browder/Cam Mitchell brings back that spark that Jonas did, and I think he will. I was a Farscape fan from the first episode and I believe that BB possesses that rare charisma that makes his time on screen unforgetable. You either have it or you don't, and I think he has it. I only hope TPTB let him show it!
                              On fighting:
                              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                                Two interesting Sam-focused stories. No whumping, really, but... interesting.
                                I guess maybe I could classify them for psychic whumping... hmmmm...

Beautiful Dreamer
                                http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/arch...uldreamer.html
                                and
                                Dream a Little Dream
                                http://www.gateworld.net/fanfic/archive/17/dreama.html
                                by The Prophet

I'm going to check out some of this author's other stories, too.
                                Thanks for the rec, Strix!

Comment

Working...
                                X