Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
    As a Sam fan and as a Jack/Sam shipper, right now I've got an empty spot in my heart...

Seeing those pictures from Avalon and the painful absence of Sam.

I mean, intellectually, I know she's not going to be there. But here they are, moving the show into a whole new direction and their most important cast member is no where in sight...

She's off somewhere doing something...hopefully something really cool and important...

But as neat as it'll be to see Jack and watch him say goodbye to the gang (hopefully he'll come around often), it's going to be tough watching the first few eps without Sam around.
    I feel the same way, Uber!

Comment

Here's a question for you...From Matter of Time.

Why wasn't Sam concerned about the increased power being fed into the Stargate?

I mean if she was upset by the power build up from Anubis in Redemption, surely the buildup of power from a Black Hole would be substantially worse?

Also, her solution...as brilliant as it was...how did she know to which Stargate in the network the Black Hole redirected? She just said it would re-direct the wormhole to "some other gate." She couldn't control where it went...what if it redirected to an occupied world?
      Good questions, Uber. And I don't have any good answers ... the writers leave these plot holes quite often... and sometimes they create inconsistencies between the events of different episodes. One of the ones that bugs me the most is the Goa'uld symbiote - I thought that way back in Season 1 they said that the symbiote takes over the host's immune system - later, if the symbiote leaves, the host dies of immune system failure. But then... there was Jolinar dying in Sam... and Sam lived... And then Kanan simply bailed out of Jack... and Jack lived... So, I think that many of these things are convenient plot devices that mutate and change as the show progresses. Sometimes because the writers just goof (like Sam and Jacob saying that they had an extra *four* years) and other times the writer's change things because they don't like the original restrictions. So, I don't think that there are good explanations to your good questions - but I have to say that I have been mightily impressed by some of the creative rationalizations by some of the fans when they try to explain inconsistencies like the ones that you pointed out.
      Last edited by astrogeologist; 27 April 2005, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Am I the only one posting today???

Here are some great Sam pics from New Order:

Love those pics, Über!

Comment

Another great Season 8 Sam pic...this one's from Sacrifices. Great AT smile:

LOL! - Great moment! Love the expressions on their faces.

Comment

... believing that Sam's absence is due to something REALLY cool that we're all going to love - something that proves how incredibly invaluable she is to the SGC and to the series
            Here's another idea that I like for a storyline in Season 9... Sam is hurt and stranded offworld... there are hostiles between Sam and the alien Stargate (although they are not *at* the gate)... and the new base commander asks for volunteers for a rescue mission... "Volunteers to present themselves to the gateroom (or a large conference room or some sort) at 1900 hours" sort of announcement... and when the base commander arrives at 1900 - the room is jampacked and people are spilling out into the hallways... the volunteers are from other SG teams that aren't out on missions, as well as other base personnel who don't normally go through the gate - even scientists (they could throw in Felger)... It would just be cool to see overwhelming support for Sam and all she's done for so many years - and all of the different types of personnel that she's interacted with in different professional aspects of her job.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
              my thought on reading about TG at AT's house is that we will eventually see an article about AT and her rejoining the show and about her time off and about the new baby and maybe even get a pic of the baby out of it.
              I was hoping the same thing, bink!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                In any case, all her performances are stellar so I hope she wins regardless of what episode it is for. Kat
                Does anyone know how the voting for the Leos is done? Does it include any online/email voting? If so, I'm ready to vote!

Comment

I'm interested in knowing how Amanda feels for real.

I've heard nothing about her feelings of the shows "new direction."
                  AT may not really know too much about the show's 'new direction' at this point... and it's possible that she may not feel as strongly as she might have a few years ago about the show's direction... she's got a very different number one priority now - Olivia (and Alan)... it's possible that she'll just have fun with the show and be OK with what the writer's produce...it's fiction, fantasy and make-believe... her baby is real.

I certainly couldn't fault AT if she doesn't melt down if the show goes the way that many have suggested it might in terms of quality.

I, however, will be sad and disappointed if the character of Sam Carter isn't all that we know she can be. (Hmmm... sounds like there's a slogan in there somewhere...)

Comment

(snip)

We need that balance in the show, where Jack and Teal'c opt first for military action and Daniel and Sam do their best to remind them of their humanity and the importance of making that effort to see the other side's point of view...

that's one of the things i find so interesting about sam. she's half jack and daniel, in that she's military 'and' science. how hard that must be for her at times to make a decision where both urges are pulling at her at the same time. we've seen where one wins out over the other (where she's siding with either jack's pov or daniel's), but i find it very interesting that you really don't know sometimes what sam's going to think considering those conditions. we pretty much know where jack and daniel stand on issues (and teal'c too), but sam's very complex because she's not all of *one* thing. sam's multi-layered, and half of that is because of the wonderfully talented amanda!

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                      i found another link for some *great* sam/amanda photos. i 'think' i got it off the shipper thread (i'm going to ask, because i want to ask about this one photo). anyhoo, it's got some really fun pics. here's the link:

http://www.bigbutton.com.au/~wickedg...tpage&Itemid=1

click on gallery.

sally
                      Thanks for the link, Sally! It's going to take quite some time to go through all of those pics!

This is the first one I clicked on...from the thumbnail, I was wondering if RDA was pretending to bow to AT for some reason... but then when the larger pic came up... erm, RDA has no pants on! Does anyone know the story behind this pic?

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc

Perhaps Binkpmmc and Skydiver are right----they are not letting us know at all where Sam is at the beginning so that alot of fans still watch. We know where Jack is going, but not Sam.
                        i'm hoping for that too. but the thing with enticing the audience like that is that it can come back to bite you in the butt. i think releasing some spoilers, at least one tid-bit, would do a LOT for the sam fans to keep their enthusiasm up. this reminds me so much of what shippers go through that i can't understand why it's being done to the sam fans as well. where's the logic?

my biggest hope, besides some awesome stuff for sam in season 9, is that her return is made a big deal. and i'm talking about the character *and* the actresss. but now would be a good time to start letting the sam fans have something to celebrate.

sally
                        Last edited by majorsal; 27 April 2005, 10:24 PM. Reason: i went weird... it happens... don't laugh
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Yesterday I was in an oh-so Sam/Jack shippy mood and I was little miss "Carter will be the kick-butt SG-1 teamleader and I can't wait for season 9 girl"...

But after seeing those Sam-less pictures and continuing to hear a whole lot of nothing about Sam....

*growl*

I hate it when I get like this...

On a much happier note, I'm POST 6,000 on the SaGC Thread!!!!! WooHooo!!!

Love the *growl*, Uber!
                          (click to listen)

And Contragulations to Über
                          for making the 6000th post!

The General Ordered Cake for the Festivities!

The hard part is getting Jack to share!

Edited to Add: Uber's post 6012 is too funny to not add to this post:
                          *Über takes a bow*

Thank you, thank you.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of my fans and fellow Samandans, without whom I would not be here tonight. I also want to thank the members of the academy...

...wait, wrong speech.

How about instead I thank AT...for being such a gracious queen, and Sam...for being such a super cool character.

Is there anything you'd like add Sam? Anything you'd like to say to the legions of people who love you out there...the millions upon millions of your fans scattered across the globe?

SAM: (clears throat nervously) Um...thanks.

Last edited by astrogeologist; 27 April 2005, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                            Exactly why I would love to see an interview with AT, or any of the ORIGINAL main cast members once the show and any related movies, etc., that they may be involved in are done and overwith because that is when I think you will get the real open and honest opinions they have about the changes and the overall the direction the show has taken in it's twilight years.

The main cast is all probably being paid quite handsomely after 8 years and they do not want to jeopardize that income or any income from movies, games, etc.,, they may make in the future so it may be a long wait but I really want to hear from them years from now when all is said and done, especially AT after hearing what she had to say about Anise's character. That was about as much criticism I have ever heard from her, or from anyone else about the show in it's 8 years (except for when MS left). At this point in time, this fork in the road so to speak, TPTB know that if they do not control the cast now, and if any negativity starts coming from the cast or crew, they will be in bigger trouble then they already are with fans leaving the show behind so, IMO, TPTB and the suits are doing everything they can to "control" what the cast and crew say and do with the public.
                            Hmm... part of the reason I like the Illustrated Companions is that if you read each episode's summaries, I think the actors, writers and producers are all pretty honest about which episodes were a blast to work on, which ones were their favorite and which they disliked the most. They all seem to be very forthcoming in that some episodes seemed really great while they were making it, but once they trimmed it down to size, they were less than happy with the outcome. They mention that RDA didn't really like the episode Hathor, AT says that she didn't really like Entity.

Right now the season is just starting, they may have finished filming a few episodes by now, but I seriously doubt they have finished editing them completely. Why wouldn't anyone come out and say this is going to be their best year ever? That's like a football or baseball team saying on the first day of practice...'We know we aren't going to win the Super Bowl/World Series, but if we can suck more money out of the fans for another year that's what we're gonna do.

I don't necessarily agree with MS views about PU, but maybe it's been his most fun episode to work on for a long time. We all know the work schedule for the past few years has been a pain in the mitka. Seeing as PU was just Daniel and Claudia, I'm sure it was a much more laid back set to work on for a few days. It was very different than the other episodes and he may have had a blast. Him saying it was his favorite episode and him saying it was the best episode of the season are too totally different things. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I personally loved the episode Entity, but AT didn't seem to care much for it. That doesn't make her wrong for not liking it as much as me. Her reasons for liking or disliking an episode are much different than my own. For her it's a job, it's how she feels about the job she's done at the end of the day. She may not have believed the possibilty of Sam being taken over by an entity and having her mind placed into a machine, so she may have had an issue with the whole premise of the episode, getting into character, feeling as if she gave it 100%.

I think this year is a bit of a double edged sword for the cast and crew of Stargate. This is the year where they finally find out if RDA really held things together. We all want to know we can make it on our own without someone else holding us up. It's obvious the cast has gotten along phenomenally over the past eight years, but I'm sure the past three years have been very
                            challenging for everyone involved with the show. MS saying this is the happiest season ever, may just be him expressing his joy to be back on a normal work schedule without the juggling of filming episodes, ect. I seriously doubt it was meant to be disrespectful to RDA (from everything I have read, MS and RDA have a great respect for one another and I seriously doubt he would do or say anything to belittle that relationship).

As for AT/Sam... I wish we were hearing more about where things are going for her on the show. We know she is suppose to start shooting again soon and maybe once she does we'll begin to hear a bit more spoilers regarding Sam and possibly even an interview with AT with her views of the upcoming season and her new role as a mom.

Don't let yourselves get too discouraged. We've only got a few more months to go until the season starts up again and a month or so after that until we see our Sam back in action. Think positive thoughts.

Sam will be back soon. Sam will be in charge of SG-1. Sam will lead numerous off-world missions. Sam will save the day just like she always does.

Come on people, I can't hear you!!!

Kat
                            Last edited by ForeverSg1; 27 April 2005, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                              Good point! If they're smart, they'll entice me with something I want to see.....not boobs, leather and BB stealing King Arthur's sword!
                              Beings that Sam won't be there to pull that sword out of the stone (and I would so *love* to see a woman do that... especially Sam - and then have her say 'oops' and look sideways at Daniel to see if she was going to get a lecture about messing with the artifacts)... OK, since Sam won't be there... and I'm hoping that Vala doesn't pull the sword out... wouldn't it be cool if it were Teal'c that pulled the sword out of the stone?

The sword would *so* fit his persona. And probably, if they follow standard 'schtick', whoever pulls the sword out will then have to fight with it - and doesn't Teal'c seem the best choice for wielding a heavy sword proficiently in a big fight? (Of course, they may very well have Mitchell do it - to give his character a scifi talent/power and build his heroic stature early in the series).

So... since it can't be Sam, my next choice would be Teal'c. The sword would 'fit' his character.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                                Thanks for the link, Sally! It's going to take quite some time to go through all of those pics!

This is the first one I clicked on...from the thumbnail, I was wondering if RDA was pretending to bow to AT for some reason... but then when the larger pic came up... erm, RDA has no pants on! Does anyone know the story behind this pic?
                                Not positive but I think he was showing a scar from a recent knee surgery.
                                My my my what a interesting work place Stargate must be... I'm not sure I've ever had a co-worker take down their pants in front of me before. But if I were in AT's place, I think I'd be sitting back with a big smile on my face as well.

Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X