No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's an excellent Janet/adventure story called "The Measure of a Hero" & I'm sure there are others, but I've only scratched the fanfic surface.

__

thanks. (it's mine. I wrote it after a friend of mine read me grousing about how bridge could pull a happy ending out of it and i theorized how they could do it and she said 'stop *****ing and write it')

I do agree with you CS, there is some really good femslash out there. Just ilke there's some really good sam/jack and even some jack/daniel (although my slash tolerance for that pair is so massively low that i don't read any any more)

A lot of it is in what you want to see and how yuo want to see them.

I do also agree with you that a lot of the time Daniel is played rather effeminate. Take Serpents song and how he's sprawled all over the stairs. Or his hand gestures on various occasions.
    Yes, gestures and posture are not fool proof indications of a character's/person's sexual preferences. I've got a gay guy across the street and if you didn't know his preferences, you wouldn't know. However, i have another neighbor who is rather effeminate in his actions adn i see some of his actions mirrored in daniel's

usually my issue with seeing the boys involved is that i just can't see Jack as gay. Daniel, yes. I can even see Teal'c, as part of his way of life, ameniable and accepting of a same sex relationship. (many warrior races/castes were) but Jack just doesn't work for me.
    And so when i read a slash fic, i feel like i'm reading a charicture of jack. some creation of the author who has the name and background of Jack O'Neill but just isn't the one i see on the show

Sam and Janet, maybe i've just found some of the bad ones.
    I've found sam usually portrayed as really butch and rather tough and I just see her a bit softer than many authors portray her.

Maybe you could post some links to some good femslash fic?

Just please note that it's femslash so folks like me who surf at work don't accidentally go where we can't. Same thing for folks that post links to some sam/whoever smut.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Rocketchick writes some pretty decent stories (not smut either! :O)
      Before Knowing Remembers is great Heroes fixit, with an awesome twist at the end

And the Ancient Air Series is a great Sci-fi story.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Same dialogue, different speakers:

Setting: a small cottage in the heart of the English countryside; couple watching the telly ...

Coley/Royal Accountant - "So the series has been taken over by scantily dressed eye candy - it's just not on , is it Tone!"

Blacky Tone aka 1s4S (strapped down on Coley's settee) - "Err, no it's a terrible shame"

Added lines:

Coley to Tone: "Stop drooling all over my new rug! You're worse than Hugo (her dog)!"

Tone to Coley: "You can release the straps, I'm willing to stay and watch!"
        Tone (thinks): *Wish we could hurry up and get to Season Seven...*

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          I'm going to file that one in the "you wish" category, AD...

Back to a more serious note, I truly hope that AT puts her foot down and maintains same level of honor and respectability for the character as she has in the past and will not allow her character to be demeaned by any PTB that want her to wear something other than what a distinguished Air Force Colonel would wear.

This is how I want to see Sam in Season 9 (I just love these pics):

Great pics, Uber! And I see that the first one is one of Agent D's rotating sig pics! Go Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
            The sleeveless T's are odd & never can get used to them. All of a sudden the SGC starts looking like a gay bar, especially w. Daniel & Teal'c showing off their biceps.
            That's it! I've been trying to figure out why the sleeveless T thing bothers me so much, but I couldn't put my finger on it...

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
              HERE'S THE QUESTION:

What are your thoughts about episodes during Season 8 where perhaps rather than the substory TPTB chose for that episode, they could have instead inserted a series of Sam and Cassandra scenes?

My thoughts were that LOCKDOWN might have been a good opportunity.

LOCKDOWN

...what if...

Cassie had come to visit with Sam at the SGC right before the Lockdown was instigated. We could have had some really neat scenes at the beginning perhaps establishing Cassie as having a harder time coping with Janet's death than maybe Sam and the others had believed.

Then during the Lockdown scenario, what if Cassie and Sam had had the chance to talk...since neither of them were going anywhere. And then of course, maybe a neat transition of Sam being taken over by Anubis while talking to Cassie, as in one moment she's emotional and loving, perhaps even hugging Cassie as they finally really talk about Janet and what losing her means to both of them. Maybe even Sam is smiling as she's embracing her and then turning darker for no reason whatsoever (both Cassie and we as the audience wouldn't understand at first what was happening) but then Sam would leave to do her Anubis thing.

This is just my postulating about a time during the first part of Season 8 when Sam and Cassie might have had a chance to talk.

And now I'll repeat the question for clarity: WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT I WROTE? and WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT OTHER TIMES WHEN THEY COULD HAVE TIED IN A NEAT SEQUENCE OF SAM AND CASSANDRA SCENES DURING A SEASON 8 EP? and lastly, WHY AM I TYPING IN ALL CAPS??????

Uber - this sounds like a great idea for a fanfic (as well as an episode)!
              Originally posted by tsaxlady
              Yep I new I forgot something in my last post - Cassandra

I would like to have seen her part of a story in S8 - Lockdown would have worked - I remember hearing that they wanted her to be in "Heroes" (I think it's on the commentaries but I'll have to listen to them again to be sure) but the actress who played her last was not available so they just talked about her instead of having someone else play the part. Hopefully we will see her in S9.
              Thanks for the info tsaxlady - it's good to know that TPTB were thinking about Cassie, but that they just weren't able to work out the storyline that they'd hoped for.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                i would LOVE to read some nice gen sam fic. the 'problem' is, most of the 'gen' writers focus on daniel or jack. pitifully few of them use sam as thier focus so if i want my fix of sam, i'm probably going to have to read a ship fic because, for the most part, the sam/jack crowd are the only ones who write the character in anything but a supporting role
                Great post all around, I was laughing out loud (well, under my breath I AM at work. . .) at your descriptions of fan fic. That's pretty much why I don't read it either.

I would read gen Sam fic or gen team fic in which they were all equal and contributed their individual unique qualities to the greater whole that is the team together. I don't think there's much of that out there though.

You're right about J/S ship, too. Those fans seem to give Sam more time of day as an individual than S/D shippers do, much to my dismay. The S/D shippers I've come across HEAVILY emphasize Daniel the Hero/Messiah with Sam as The Girlfriend.

I don't get that at all. The very thing that appeals to me about the S/D relationship is that they are equals, nobody has to "sir" anyone or get over an 8+year chain of authority, etc, as they would with J/S.

So it seems to me in terms of the show perameters, Sam as an individual really needs to stay single or at least not be with anyone on her team.

Perhaps she could be with someone who was not a teammate, such as Barrett, who is another equal professional colleage, but in a separate government entity altogether. . . .

And at least he's already involved with the SG, unlike Pete, who is now a fully informed and tossed-over boyfriend with MAJOR MUCHO gov't secrets locked in his head.

I seriously doubt they will revisit THAT storyline, but really in the real-world interests of national security, that is a storyline that should be covered. . . .

hrh

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  Originally posted by astrogeologist
                  Here's a new pic to play with...

Guess The Episode

...or make up a caption...
                  ...or create a new episode title...
                  Spoiler:
                  Enemies
                  Originally posted by tsaxlady
                  It's from
                  Spoiler:
                  Season 5 - Enemies
                  You are both correct!

Comment

Less controversially ... I'm pleased as punch to see that the criminally neglected Cassandra storyline has a champion in Amanda. TPTB dropped Cassie like a hot potato & in a way that reflected poorly on Sam (the now-infamous "Cassie's a tough kid. She'll survive"). Carter was made to look heartless while two important characters (Janet & Cassandra) were erased from SG-1's institutional memory in one fell swoop.
                    I agree 100%. Last summer before S8, when I was excited about spoilers of Carter's promotion and leadership of SG-1 ( ) and upset about Janet's death and the treatment of her death in Heroes and subsequent episodes of nonmention!! ( ), I wrote "Nephilim" to show Sam in command and dealing with Cassie/Janet. Interested parties may read it here:
                    http://66.34.102.61/list.asp
                    Scroll midway down the page to find it.

The Leo nomination is good news, even though I wish it was for Moebius. Comedy rarely gets the kudos it deserves and, as good as these actors are at drama, they're even better at being funny. NerdCarter was an utter delight & I wish she'd get some props ... especially after her boss stole all her theories on spinwave technology.
                    Also agree. Geeky Sam in Moebius or Replicarter Sam in Reckoning were great acting performances for AT in S8. Sad to say, but IMO the PTB wrote better stuff for these alternate Sams than they did for our real Sam. But apparently for the Leos, producers submit episodes for the categories so they didn't pick AT's best acting perfomances, again IMO.

hrh

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                      Hi Sally:

I agree with you about the nom for PDL for affinity - I was actually appalled that such a piece of dreck that basically skewered 2 of the main characters got a nom - its as if this will allow TPTB to say "see told you so - the fans are all wrong it was a great show". Yuck - I say the show sucked wind and a nom has nothing to do with character development or anything else relevant to the actual show and characters. I cannot for the life of me figure out why dreck like that would get a nom unless there were just very slim pickings in all categories this year, for example there are only 2 actresses up for Best Female lead, AT and the other one, so my guess is it was very slim pickings all the way around for credible nominations and some of the least credible (affinity) got in by way of default, IMO, of course.
                      I read somewhere that the show's producers pick the episodes they give to the nominating committe or something like that. So the nominees were not picked by an independent panel or at least one that had the whole run of the show to choose from, they only had the episodes the producers submitted.

Which actually isn't encouraging either because that means the PTB think "Affinity" was a good SG episode. . . .

Nope, not looking forward to S9 with that thought in mind.

hrh

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
                        I agree 100%. Last summer before S8, when I was excited about spoilers of Carter's promotion and leadership of SG-1 ( ) and upset about Janet's death and the treatment of her death in Heroes and subsequent episodes of nonmention!! ( ), I wrote "Nephilim" to show Sam in command and dealing with Cassie/Janet. Interested parties may read it here:
                        http://66.34.102.61/list.asp
                        Scroll midway down the page to find it.
                        Thanks for the rec, hrh - I bookmarked it!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          Here's a new pic to play with...

Guess The Episode

...or make up a caption...
                          ...or create a new episode title...

Photo is from http://www.stargatesg1971.com/index.html

O'Neill - "Carter which way is it?!"
                          Carter - "How should I know Sir?!"
                          O'Neill - "well you got the plans to study last week!"
                          Carter - "Plans? What plans? I didn't get any plans!"
                          Daniel - "Ooooops! I knew there was something I forgot to do, time for a sharp exit!"
                          Last edited by Coley; 27 April 2005, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Uber - I just love your Sam firing the P90 captures - fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

i wasn't bothered by sam's remark about cassie in heroes 2, but not following up on it is what makes things look bad. and i can't figure out why they haven't mentioned cassie. or janet! these ppl mean a LOT to sam, and not even a fly-by mention was ever made of either. i'd think janet would be mentioned even above cassie, seeing as sam would be reminded every day she was at the sgc that her friend was gone. the first time i saw janet's replacement (the stepford doctor), i expected to see a sad look on sam's face because of how much she missed janet. nada.

I sort of took Sam's remark as not wanting to get into it or she'd get emotional. Of course she did get emotional in that scene anyway. I know the Sam haters have said she got all weepy with Jack and that seemed to indicate she only cared about him, not Janet. But I think it was the comment from Jack about the body armor "didn't help Fraiser, did it" that pushed her over from expressing calm concern over his well being to getting teary. I think it was the whole situation that got to her. I know for me, when something is wrong I can hold it together pretty well til someone asks how I'm doing or says something nice. Then it's the waterworks.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                Now, as for AT ... I know she has a personal trainer but it doesn't seem to be affecting that part of her torso so much as the guys. And, since the fans have already written in that "Carter is hot", TPTB probably took that literally and allowed her to change into something more comfortable such as the sleeveless T.
                                Love the explanation. LOL--gotta be careful as I'm at work--people will wonder why I'm laughing to myself.
                                I noticed in the commentary for Evolution, I think, AT herself commented on how buff MS was looking.

Comment

Working...
                                X