No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In terms of reading, I've never really been much of a Scifi fan. I've always preferred fantasy over science fiction. Part of the reason I enjoyed the premise of Stargate so much, was that it blended science fiction and mythology which I have always had an interest in. I think they have done a respectable job throughout the years in giving a plausible scifi twist to all the different mythological stories.

I also prefer stories where a female is the hero of the story or where the women in the story are very strong and independent. Unfortunately most of the fantasy novels I have read have been series; and although the characters start out wonderfully, after 7, 8, or 13 books the stories become so convoluted that the characters begin to lose their original appeal. Perhaps that's why I have not allowed myself to become so disenchanted by what has happened with Stargate, because I know from experience that even authors with the best intention seem to loose sight of their own character's after many years of writing. Anyone who's ever read the series 'The Wheel of Time' will understand what I am saying.

I'm not sure if one would call me a glutton or just a die-hard fan, but once I'm involved this deeply into something, I'm normally in it for the long haul. No matter what my feelings are at the end of the season, or at the end of the book I always find myself compelled to pick up where I left off with the next book or season. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised with the outcomes and other times I question why I wasted even a moment of my time and yet the cycle continues. It must be an illness or a chemical imbalance for someone to put themselves through so much grief inorder to find a glimpse of happiness, excitement, adventure, romance (whatever it is we are all looking for) through the eyes of a fictitious character. But whatever it is that causes me to continue to endure the lows, I do it of my own free will in the hopes that the good will eventually outweigh the bad.

Overall, I think Samantha Carter has been wonderfully written. Yes, the past two years have left me questioning the sanity of some of the writers, but I have to tell myself that 80% of what has been done with Sam's character I have thoroughly enjoyed. She has developed into a unique and captivating woman, who continues to entrance and inspire me after eight years. Her smile warms my darkest days, her tears rips through my soul, her intelligence leaves my mind reeling, her courage and loyalty touches my heart. She's had setbacks in her life, disappointments, and losses, but she never gives up. Never gives in. She struggles and fights and constantly pushes herself onward despite her fears. She is the woman I have always wished I could be... everything I hope my daughter will become.

I don't necessarily have a particular desire for Sam's storyline in season nine. My only desire is that she continue on the path that originally made me love, admire and respect her. Somewhere along the road Sam unfortunately lost her way, but I know she has the ability to find her way back home. Hopefully TPTB will truly listen and hear the cries of all of Sam's fans and give us back the character we have so dearly loved.

I have enjoyed reading all your ideas for Sam in season nine. I truly hope for our sake and AT's that some of them are added. She's done such a wonderful job with the storylines she has been given. I just really believe she and Sam deserve much more.

Kat
    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 24 April 2005, 06:53 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=sg-1fanintn]I couldn't find the original post, so please excuse the appearance of the quote below. But I have to strongly disagree with Strix's statement that:

[QUOTE]
      Originally Posted by Strix varia
      I think Carterslave and I are the only ones who really get it. After all, Sam is really a closet lesbian, and Janet is her soul mate.

This observation falls into the category of seeing the ship you want to see. I've never observed anything to indicate that Sam is gay; openly or otherwise. As well as we now know her true feelings about the issues in her life, I think we would know this too. Sam went looking for Pete not to conform to what society expected of her; but to try to free herself from the true love she thought she could never obtain with Jack. If she were gay, it would have been more effective to seek out a woman in her attempts to move on. She certainly wouldn't have gone looking for another man, especially one as pathetic as Pete.

Yes, Sam loved Janet, but as a friend. Frankly, I'm a little surprised to hear this discussion here. It's usually men who feel the necessity to cast any strong woman as a lesbian.
      Um, sg-1fanintn, my comments were made with tongue very firmly in cheek. I happen to enjoy Sam/Janet slash, but I agree that it is not canon. But then, neither is Sam/Daniel, Sam/Teal'c or any other number of SG-1 fanfic pairings. Yet I still enjoy discussing them, because relationships, potential or otherwise, are an important part of Sam's life. Personally, I am not offended or otherwise disturbed by discussion (or portrayal) of slash pairings, even if they aren't canon. I am sorry if you are. As for me casting Sam as a lesbian, that's a matter of wishful thinking on my part.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        spoilers for s8's lockdown

i'm a bit hazy on the ep, so what do you mean it would have been a great opp for sam and cassie to hash it out?

sally
        What I was trying to say was....

LOCKDOWN

...what if...

Cassie had come to spend time with Sam at the SGC. We could have had some really neat scenes at the beginning perhaps establishing Cassie as having a harder time coping with Janet's death than maybe Sam and the others had believed.

Then during the Lockdown scenario, what if Cassie and Sam had had the chance to talk...since neither of them were going anywhere. And then of course, maybe a neat transition of Sam being taken over by Anubis while talking to Cassie, as in one moment she's emotional and loving, perhaps even hugging Cassie as they finally really talk about Janet and what losing her means to both of them. Maybe even Sam is smiling as she's embracing her and then turning darker for no reason whatsoever (both Cassie and we as the audience wouldn't understand at first what was happening) but then Sam would leave to do her Anubis thing.

This is just my postulating about a time during the first part of Season 8 when Sam and Cassie might have had a chance to talk.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
          Ultimate Sam Choices:
          Coley: this was a wonderful and thoughtful analysis and critique of great Sam moments and highlights! Thanks *so* much for typing this up so we could all enjoy and share it!

You definitely earned some well-deserved *special* Royal Blue Jello...

You know if anything I really think we should comprise all this info into a letter and send it off to AT. I know she receives hundreds of letters from fans expressing their admiration for her, but I think it would be nice to see in detail which of her performances have been enjoyed the most and why. But then again...who knows, maybe she pops into sites like these occassionally and reads some of the praise... I truly hope so.

Kat
          Last edited by ForeverSg1; 24 April 2005, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan

(snip)

As for what I want for Sam in Season 9, well all I can do is summarize everything I've been saying on this thread...and as far as I'm concerned, this would be the list I'd forward to TPTB.

Mary Beth's (ÜberSG-1Fan) Ideal Sam for Season 9

love your post, ubersg! i'm just going to comment on a few of them.

Sam the Pilot[/COLOR][/B]...I thought her flying the X-302 in Covenant was just awesome. I mean, before hand, she'd always ride second seat to O'Neill. It was sweet to see her at the controls. Who knew she could fly like that???
            i was *soooo* happy and surprised to see sam flying! and i mean, AS THE PILOT. the writers finally showed that sam 'can' fly, and not just as second-seat.

Sam as a Mistake Maker...I want to see her make big mistakes and regret them...Gemini is a great example here.

i like that idea too. not something catastrophic, but just human like the rest of us. i think gemini did a good job of showing sam being just as fallible as you and me. (except when the rest of us screw up, we don't put the rest of the world at stake with mutant living toys trying to kill ppl )

Sam as the One Left Behind...I want to see more of how Sam is dealing with the losses in her life, from Janet to her father.
            i'd like that too. i love emotional-issue eps, and amanda excells in them.

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

LOVE your ideas!, and i'm going to go with some of them for my own list.

* sam in charge. i want to see her handle an entire mission that really makes her show her stuff to other sg teams (daniel and teal'c already know what she's made of), but also to herself. i'd like to see whatever lingering doubts she might have in her abilities to command be lost with this 'succussful' but trying mission.

* sam using her tok'ra abilities.

* let us see how sam's doing with cassie. let us see how cassie's doing for that matter.

* sam handling another situation where she's put under extreme pain of either torture or injury.

* sam dealing with replicarter again.

* replicarter not being dead, and being able to live a life. (i'm adding rc because i feel she 'is' sam - just a reflection, albeit a dark one.)

i know you suggested staying away from the 'hot topic' of romance, but it's on my wishlist with the above, and it's 'in canon' for her character.

* sam in a relationship with jack. wherever they can go ( or suggest/hint), i'll take.

that's my as-for-the-moment wishlist, which might change in a few minutes.

sally
              Great choices, Sally! I downloaded them and added them to the growing summary list of everyone's suggestions

And since I can't give you more rep right now, here's some Royal Blue Jello

Comment

this doesn't go with what has been shown on the show, but i'd love to see sam flying a helicopter. or, she makes her own one-seater flying machine and takes it to the alphasite to play with. that would be cool!
                Great ideas, Sally! I really like the idea of Sam flying some new kind of aircraft that she designed... something that integrates several different alient technologies into something new.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  I have to agree with Coley. I saw the Other Guys as nothing more than a stand alone comedy episode that they do every year. Every year they put out one comedy episode and one clip show. In both cases, they are typically either an earth based episode or one with little to no special effects in order to try to keep costs down. We've just been lucky over the years that some of these stories have been much better than others and thus much more entertaining. I'm not positive if the following were indeed the comedy and clip shows for each season, but these are my opinion.

Season 1
                  Tin Man
                  Politics

Season 2
                  Out of Mind

Season 3
                  Urgo
                  Legacy

Season 4
                  Window of Opportunity
                  Divide and Conquer

Season 5
                  Wormhole Extreme
                  Threshold

Season 6
                  The Other Guys
                  Disclosure

Season 7
                  Avenger 2.0
                  Inauguration

Season 8
                  Prometheus Unbound
                  Citizen Joe
                  Wonderful analysis, Kat!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                    I was wondering how many people here read scifi or fantasy books. I realise everyone has their time cut out for them reading fanfics (which I have decided that I am going to start to do as soon as I find a Sam story with not too much romance or torture (I’ll get to those later) and definitely no slash, to start off with), but Strix (I’m pretty sure it was Strix) commented on Elizabeth Moon’s Paksenarrion books much earlier on in this thread. I’ve since been thinking about what other female characters I admire in books. I’m not a feminist, but I do like reading books about women who are warriors or soldiers. I certainly found the Paksenarrion books worth reading.
                    I particularly think that the character of Ash in Mary Gentle’s book Ash: A Secret History, is another brilliantly portrayed soldier, only she weilds swords, except… well, I don’t want to spoil the end just in case anyone ever reads it, but lets just say… modern military is in there too. The book is also really about the science of Quantum Physics, which is another reason why I love it.
                    I grew up on Tamora Pierce’s books, most of which featured girls either disguised as boys or not, training to be Knights. They were young adult books, and fairly basic, but I found them fun. Whether it was Alanna or Kel or any of the other girls who became Pages and then Squires and then Knights, I lapped up their tales non stop.
                    Now, having waded through a lot of steriotypical fantasy novels about huge, brawny, egotistical guy heroes, I have been trying to sort out in my head why in a lot of ways a female soldier is more realistic than that. I am by no means saying that there aren’t brilliant books with male heroes who are written well, only that they are rarer, and harder to find. Surprisingly I haven’t read that much science fiction, so if anyone knows any good scifi female soldiers, I’d love to know.
                    Sorry if this is all off topic, it’s just Sam makes me think about a lot of things, and sometimes those things are not on the topic of Sam.
                    You might try Sassinak by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Moon. Elizabeth Moon was in the military, so she understands what it means to be a female soldier. If you haven't read Robin McKinley's _The Hero and the Crown_ and _The Blue Sword_ I would highly recommend them. The former won a Newbery, the latter was a Newbery honor book. Both feature very strong female heroines. They are fantasies, though, rather than science fiction. Harry (a woman!) actually reminds me a lot of Sam... tall, blonde, and kicks a**.

My LJ

Comment

I'm starting to run out of Sam Whumping stories, so I'm including my own in this batch. I still need to get all of Skydiver's stories, and few other authors so there will be at least one more post.

A Second Chance by Sally Reeve
                      http://uk.geocities.com/mystories_uk/secondpt1.html

Breathe by Magicsunbeam
                      http://sg1-heliopolis.com/archive/31/breathe.html

Old Debts (series) by Majelb
                      http://www.angelfire.com/az3/majelita/Olddebtsindex.htm

Where Do We Go from Here by Aligater
                      http://www.stargatesg1971.com/fanfic...ofromhere.html

Bound and Broken by Jackiwi
                      http://www.stargatesg1971.com/fanfic...andbroken.html

Mistrust by Scully
                      http://www.stargatesg1971.com/fanfiction/mistrust.html
                      (over 18)

Looking Up by Strix varia
                      http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/lookingup.htm
                      (over 18)

The Knife’s Edge of Madness by Strix varia
                      http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/knife.htm

Surviving by Strix varia
                      http://vikingchick.gyrfalcon.net/surviving.htm
                      (over 18)

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        In terms of reading, I've never really been much of a Scifi fan. I've always preferred fantasy over science fiction. Part of the reason I enjoyed the premise of Stargate so much, was that it blended science fiction and mythology which I have always had an interest in. I think they have done a respectable job throughout the years in giving a plausible scifi twist to all the different mythological stories.

I also prefer stories where a female is the hero of the story or where the women in the story are very strong and independent. Unfortunately most of the fantasy novels I have read have been series; and although the characters start out wonderfully, after 7, 8, or 13 books the stories become so convoluted that the characters begin to lose their original appeal. Perhaps that's why I have not allowed myself to become so disenchanted by what has happened with Stargate, because I know from experience that even authors with the best intention seem to loose sight of their own character's after many years of writing. Anyone who's ever read the series 'The Wheel of Time' will understand what I am saying.

I'm not sure if one would call me a glutton or just a die-hard fan, but once I'm involved this deeply into something, I'm normally in it for the long haul. No matter what my feelings are at the end of the season, or at the end of the book I always find myself compelled to pick up where I left off with the next book or season. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised with the outcomes and other times I question why I wasted even a moment of my time and yet the cycle continues. It must be an illness or a chemical imbalance for someone to put themselves through so much grief inorder to find a glimpse of happiness, excitement, adventure, romance (whatever it is we are all looking for) through the eyes of a fictitious character. But whatever it is that causes me to continue to endure the lows, I do it of my own free will in the hopes that the good will eventually outweigh the bad.

Overall, I think Samantha Carter has been wonderfully written. Yes, the past two years have left me questioning the sanity of some of the writers, but I have to tell myself that 80% of what has been done with Sam's character I have thoroughly enjoyed. She has developed into a unique and captivating woman, who continues to entrance and inspire me after eight years. Her smile warms my darkest days, her tears rips through my soul, her intelligence leaves my mind reeling, her courage and loyalty touches my heart. She's had setbacks in her life, disappointments, and losses, but she never gives up. Never gives in. She struggles and fights and constantly pushes herself onward despite her fears. She is the woman I have always wished I could be... everything I hope my daughter will become.

I don't necessarily have a particular desire for Sam's storyline in season nine. My only desire is that she continue on the path that originally made me love, admire and respect her. Somewhere along the road Sam unfortunately lost her way, but I know she has the ability to find her way back home. Hopefully TPTB will truly listen and hear the cries of all of Sam's fans and give us back the character we have so dearly loved.

I have enjoyed reading all your ideas for Sam in season nine. I truly hope for our sake and AT's that some of them are added. She's done such a wonderful job with the storylines she has been given. I just really believe she and Sam deserve much more.

Kat
                        Wow! What a great post, Kat!
                        ANd for something different...Artistic Blue Jello...

Comment

No, Strix.....not offended. I have just never seen any evidence of a relationship that extends beyond friendship. After I started posting here and saw a possible relationship mentioned, I went back through old episodes to see if I had missed anything.....and haven't seen any evidence of it in the episodes I've reviewed.

For that matter, I also don't see any evidence of Daniel and Janet.....and I've tried! The only strong evidence I've seen and felt for any pairing in SG-1 is for Sam and Jack.

And my only concern is that many men still think if a woman is strong, smart, independent (maybe more professional or talented than they), then by golly, she must be a lesbian! That's why I was surprised to see a characterization of Sam that way here. It just seemed like a conclusion a MCP would draw! We women know we can do anything, but sometimes, it's still hard proving it to the other gender. Maybe it's just the area of the country in which I live. My husband isn't like that, but I run into far too many people who are.

I don't mean to offend either. Sorry. It just seems to be a baseless premise to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
                            I'm starting to run out of Sam Whumping stories, so I'm including my own in this batch. I still need to get all of Skydiver's stories, and few other authors so there will be at least one more post.
                            Oh noes!
                            But you've got other types of SamFic to post...right?

Comment

ideas --

* accident or not, sam kills a young person. say it's on a mission, and a sniper is shooting at them. sam shoots back, takes the person down, and then she sees that she's killed a teenaged boy. okay, that doesn't sound exactly 'dark' from sam, but i could see the fallout of that having lasting impressions.

* sam sees one of her friends being tortured or hurt maliciously, and she strikes out suddenly and kills the person(s) doing it.

* i believe that if sam saw cassie being horribly hurt (rape maybe), she would be capable of cold-blooded murder. like snapping the person's neck, then feeling the guilt hit home later. but i think in that instant, she would be capable of it.

there was a fic i read once where sam killed someone that had accompanied their team by, i think, suffocating him. she felt tremendous guilt, but it was later found out that she was suffering from poisoning that had affected her mind and reasoning.

if replicarter really worked on screwing with sam's head, i think it would be interesting to see what she could make sam do. what do you guys think she could make sam do?

sally
                              oooo, great ideas Sal
                              You don't happen to remember the name of that fic do you? And while I'm at it, does anyhere know of any Dark!Sam fics to rec? I'll even endure the ship if I have to...

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                                oooo, great ideas Sal
                                You don't happen to remember the name of that fic do you? And while I'm at it, does anyhere know of any Dark!Sam fics to rec? I'll even endure the ship if I have to...
                                no, i'm sorry i don't, agent dark. i read *so* many fics, that i can't remember names unless i keep a list. i do keep a list, but it's looooong. but the only fics i read are sam/jack or sam-centric, so that fic i talked about was prob a ship fic.

i'm on a list called sgcdarkfic, but it's mostly sexual dark stories there. i don't think you'd like it, hon.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X