Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deepspace

As everyone has lightened up now, I hope my next few posts, which reply to probably over twenty pages ago, don't change the mood.

It's good to be back in this Samtastic place.
    Woohoo! deepspace is back!

Comment

majorsam: My military stuff isn't as bad as it sounds, trust me! Physically, I can barely do push ups for the life of me...*thinks of the Fitness Test I have next week.... Must qualify silver again! MUST!*I just push myself to my absolute limits! I mean, what's the point of being in something like the military if you're not willing to expand and do stuff you'd never thought you would... Who knows, Sg-1 could be in my future! Yup. No point giving up, or you won't know where you could have ended up! *It's the what-if's that kill me* Emotionally? I use whatever I can for that, you have to be able to recognize the amazing things that we've all done/seen/can do/experienced. When you really think about it, there's a lot more than you think!!
      On a random note... I'm in a fashion show tonight! Hah! Just found out this afternoon...Wish me luck! lol.
      It’s interesting to hear what your views on the military are. May I ask what kind of military you are in? I understand when you say that there’s no point in being in something like that if you’re not going to give it eveything you’ve got, I was just wondering if you ever found it difficult to cope. It sounds like you too believe that there is a Stargate and possibly, if not probably, a Stargate program. Is that why you joined the military? Hope I’m not being too nosy here, I’m just interested.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

SEASON NINE SPOILERS
        Spoiler:

Spoiler:
        Agent Dark: Well, some more spoilers have been released for Season9, this time involving Sam!
        http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/...eusmachin.shtml
        Ex Deus Machina (which I still think should be worded Deus Ex Machina...) is episode 907, and from what I gather may actually be the episode that Sam comes back (not 906). Barrett is apparently back and he and Carter team up again, which'll be good - I always liked their pairing And Ba'al is also back too, so maybe he and Sam will run into each other again.
        Still nothing on why Sam's been away, but at least we've got a bone now (albeit a small one )
        Well, despite all my concerns about season9, I like the sound of Barrett coming back. I think he and Sam always worked really well together. Also, when TPTB made her have a boyfriend other than Jack, I always kind of wished it had been him instead of Pete. But I will be quite happy if they don’t focus so strongly on the relationships angle this season (sorry shippers, nothing against all of you who want more romance in Stargate).

Spoiler:
        skydiver: Jonas in s6 was a great addition. First of all, he didn't really push. yes, he did keep saying 'i want to be on the team' but at no point in time did he go to hammond and go 'hey, i brought you the naqadria, you HAVE to let me beon the team'
        and then he altered the relationships slightly. Sam got go be a big sister to him, she'd tease him a lot more than we ever saw her tease daniel. Tealc got to stop being the token alien and was a mentor and jack finally got to see that what he told sam was true, people die and are replaced. and while the replacement may never fully measure up to the original, they can fill the void
        jonas' presence, to me, did a lot of healing and i think the he reignighted a lot of the joy in their job. things are no longer humdrum if you're watching someone do it for the first time and they're enthusiastic about it. often you can't help but be drawn into their enthusiasm
        Spoiler:
        astrogeologist: I think it would have been great to have had Jonas stay on after Daniel came back. Jonas could have transferred to one of the other SG teams or some such...?
        Spoiler:
        uber: So I think the Mitchell addition can do the same thing for the team that Skydiver believes Jonas did...add that sense of wonder and newness.
        Well, this is what I’m hoping. I think I’ve finally gotten over (a bit) my “I don’t want new characters on the team full stop” attitude. I still remember when Daniel died, (I was really upset), and then basically straight away there was this new guy Jonas and I was going “noooooo, he’s not Daniel, he’ll never be Daniel”. And no, he was never Daniel, but I grew to really enjoy his character, and I loved the way he and Sam got on. There was nothing romantic about their friendship, they were just so comfortable around each other. Like sky said, Sam was his big sister.
        I then was faced with feeling over the moon when they brought back Daniel, and dissapointed at them ditching Jonas like he never existed. We’ve only had one episode with him in it since. I would have really loved it if they had kept both Jonas and Daniel on the team, especially during season eight, where Jack is General and there are only three people on SG1. I believe it could have done a lot for the team to have Jonas as a fourth member, and I think he and Daniel would have worked well together. It may also have prevented the need to bring in the character of Mitchell for season9.
        That said, I am hoping that they can do for his character what they did for Jonas, develop him to the point where you can’t help but like him, nomatter what your first impressions are.

However… the subject of Vala is a different matter. I don’t think anything will make me like her. I bet they get her using all the goa’uld technology that Sam should be able to use thanks to Jolinar. And about Jolinar…

Spoiler:
        astrogeologist: And I want the caveat that they don't Tokrafy her! I don't want her to become 'Sam and TokraX'... but I really want her to explore the abilties she inherited from Jolinar.

astrogeologist: OK, folks, I'm trying *really* hard to see the up-side of things... and trying *really* hard not to be cynical or depressed... but the more I hear of Season 9, the more I really think they are going to Tokrafy Sam. It's this feeling in the pit of my stomach along with all of the tidbit spoilers.
        I don't want them to Tokrafy Sam because, in many ways, we would 'lose' our Sam... she would become 'Sam and TokraX'... at all times, TokraX is also present, not just our Sam.
        And after a more than a season of shows that established 'insecure Sam' and did not establish Sam as a competent leader... where our Sam made mistakes and showed vulnerabilties and dealt with personal issues... I was hoping for Season 9 to tip the scales back the other way - back towards Sam's competence. But if there's a Tokra 'on-board', then it's as if our Sam wasn't enough... as if she couldn't handle it. I want to see *Sam* kick RepliCarter's ass... not 'Sam and TokraX'.

I'll also be pissed if they Tokrafy Sam because it will not give us the chance to just see Sam lead the troops. I want to see the woman lead competently and securely and have the confidence of her subordinates to work with. But if they Tokrafy Sam, then it's as if Sam, the female officer, wasn't enough. Men like Jack and Mitchell can lead....
        OK... I am pretty down about this -- I need you folks to cheer me up -- tell me that I'm crazy and that I'm absolutely wrong - tell me that they are *not* going to Tokrafy Sam. Help! You did it once before, a few weeks ago, and I decided that I must be wrong... and I was much happier for awhile... but now my doubts are creeping back in and have taken seige.
        I *so* want to see Sam dealing with the ramifications of Gemini and Jolinar's legacy.. and leading SG-1... and I so do *not* want to see her Tokrafied and turned into 'Sam and TokraX'. (And in my worst nightmares, the Tokra is Anise... shudder).
        Help!
        Well, I don’t think that they will take this storyline, at least I very much hope not. Not only would it mean that Sam would no longer be just Sam, I feel it would also belittle and disregard everything that happened to her with Jolinar. I really really liked all the Jolinar related episodes, and I don’t want that to be taken away because another new Tok’ra has come along to occupy half of Sam’s head. However I would not mind them actually aknowledging once in a while that once upon a time jolinar existed. It is something that’s barely been mentioned for seasons now. Unfortunately, what with Vala and her goa’uld devices hanging around, I think TPTB are going to try as hard as possible to forget about Jolinar.

Spoiler:
        Nearly Circular : Sam’s been the one who has the thankless task of explaining the science in the science fiction, and because of that, she can seem dead serious or deadly dull.
        Not at all. In my opinion it’s the scientist in Sam which I love most. I have never found any of her technobabble dull or boring.
        Most people here have said how they want competent Soldier Sam leading in season9. I think I’m one of them. But even more than that I really want her to remain first and foremost a scientist, because I believe that that’s what Sam loves most in life. I would like to see new and different scientiffic challenges for her, maybe an opportunity to work on some new alien technology, or a chance to save Earth with one of her scientiffic brainwaves. Because I think that in a way, this is what makes Sam a hero more than anything.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
          Trumpets Blare and Angels Sing

Forever Sg1 has done her thing!

Posted the big one

What a treat

A Samandan feat

Let there be jello

Green and blue

And lots of beans

In royal hues
          Wow, 5500 and a royal bean?? I'm truly honored!!

Comment

In fact, AT expressed in audio commentaries that she was upset that Daniel didn't visit Sam, that she was the only team member he did not visit. Glaring omission for a team show, no?

From a purely all-team, noromo standpoint, this omission is indeed heinous. Daniel "should" have visited all 3, not 2. It excludes Sam extremely from the team. One could argue that:

a) It's sexist
            b) It serves RCC's J/S agenda by keeping Daniel away from Sam
            c) It points out PTB's inability to write male/female friendships because if Daniel visits Sam then it "must" be for romantic reasons

____

i agree. it is massively glaring. especially since sam was in at least one near death situation (meta), not to mention kinda dead in Prophecy (they had to shock her heart) and then the emotional anguish in Paradise Lost where she honestly thought that she'd lost another one of her friends

It is kinda a slap in the face (which i'm sure wasn't meant that way) to the character that the boys are ok for daniel to visit but he doesnt' give a fig about sam. (one way to interpret his behavior)

as to RCC, i've never seen him as a ship liker. His eps tend to focus on Daniel and, at least to me, it seems that if something shippy is supposed to happen, it comes from Joe and Paul.

as to the male/female bits and if it's m/f it MUST be ship and if it's same gender then it's ok.....whoa, that's a massive can o worms that probably isn't proper for this thread but is a horrible double standard
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

But on a high note, the first ever 'ultimate sam episode' poll has concluded and guess what won

come on guess!!

guess!!!

ok, fine, i'll tell you

<-- drum roll
              GRACE!!!!!!!!!!!

My thanks to all who participated and if anyone else wants to have another poll, either about sam or about another character, just let me or any other mod know
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                Originally posted by astrogeologist
                astrogeologist
                New pic to play with...

Guess The Episode
                Spoiler:
                Menace - Sam's looking at a replicator chip
                Correct, Kat!

Last edited by astrogeologist; 22 April 2005, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
                  SEASON NINE SPOILERS
                  Spoiler:

Well, despite all my concerns about season9, I like the sound of Barrett coming back. I think he and Sam always worked really well together. Also, when TPTB made her have a boyfriend other than Jack, I always kind of wished it had been him instead of Pete. But I will be quite happy if they don’t focus so strongly on the relationships angle this season (sorry shippers, nothing against all of you who want more romance in Stargate).

Well, this is what I’m hoping. I think I’ve finally gotten over (a bit) my “I don’t want new characters on the team full stop” attitude. I still remember when Daniel died, (I was really upset), and then basically straight away there was this new guy Jonas and I was going “noooooo, he’s not Daniel, he’ll never be Daniel”. And no, he was never Daniel, but I grew to really enjoy his character, and I loved the way he and Sam got on. There was nothing romantic about their friendship, they were just so comfortable around each other. Like sky said, Sam was his big sister.
                  I then was faced with feeling over the moon when they brought back Daniel, and dissapointed at them ditching Jonas like he never existed. We’ve only had one episode with him in it since. I would have really loved it if they had kept both Jonas and Daniel on the team, especially during season eight, where Jack is General and there are only three people on SG1. I believe it could have done a lot for the team to have Jonas as a fourth member, and I think he and Daniel would have worked well together. It may also have prevented the need to bring in the character of Mitchell for season9.
                  That said, I am hoping that they can do for his character what they did for Jonas, develop him to the point where you can’t help but like him, nomatter what your first impressions are.

However… the subject of Vala is a different matter. I don’t think anything will make me like her. I bet they get her using all the goa’uld technology that Sam should be able to use thanks to Jolinar. And about Jolinar…

Well, I don’t think that they will take this storyline, at least I very much hope not. Not only would it mean that Sam would no longer be just Sam, I feel it would also belittle and disregard everything that happened to her with Jolinar. I really really liked all the Jolinar related episodes, and I don’t want that to be taken away because another new Tok’ra has come along to occupy half of Sam’s head. However I would not mind them actually aknowledging once in a while that once upon a time jolinar existed. It is something that’s barely been mentioned for seasons now. Unfortunately, what with Vala and her goa’uld devices hanging around, I think TPTB are going to try as hard as possible to forget about Jolinar.

Not at all. In my opinion it’s the scientist in Sam which I love most. I have never found any of her technobabble dull or boring.
                  Most people here have said how they want competent Soldier Sam leading in season9. I think I’m one of them. But even more than that I really want her to remain first and foremost a scientist, because I believe that that’s what Sam loves most in life. I would like to see new and different scientiffic challenges for her, maybe an opportunity to work on some new alien technology, or a chance to save Earth with one of her scientiffic brainwaves. Because I think that in a way, this is what makes Sam a hero more than anything.
                  Great post, deepspace! And welcome back! I like the way you put this, in particular:
                  Spoiler:
                  I really really liked all the Jolinar related episodes, and I don’t want that to be taken away because another new Tok’ra has come along to occupy half of Sam’s head.
                  And as for your comment about Vala... I have to admit that I have not seen Prometheus Unbound, nor have I seen any Farscape episodes, so I felt pretty ambivalent about Vala... but... erm... Gateworld just posted a pic for the season 9 episode Avalon...and Vala is in the shot... wearing black leather? And showing plenty of bosom - and this is how she dresses 'on the job'.. on a 'daily basis'? Erm... reminded me of my earlier comment about invasion of the Alien Sluts... sigh... However, I am trying to hold back on my prudishness (I always winced when 7 of 9 walked on screen in her catsuit and that was tame compared to Vala's costume)... OK... Astrog just needs time to get her instant reaction under control...

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36

Point 3: This thread has done a fantastic job of being about Sam the character regardless of who she's paired off with. Let's please continue primarily in that mode. There are plenty of Sam/?? threads to discuss pairings.

I apologize for my long discussion of pairings in this post, but I see a decided S/J slant creeping in and S/J fans being somewhat favored. There's already a S/J Ship Family thread -- so can we please keep the discussion of Sam open to all Sam fans regardless of their pairing preference? Thanks.

hrh
                    hi, hrh,

there's kind of a runnning rule that when a person starts a thread, they somewhat have some say in how things play out on it. since i started it, and you're kind of new, i'll catch you up a bit. tolerance. i'm an s/j shipper, so i'm used to being treated like crap, but this thread is for talking about sam in her career, her life, her family, and her love life. basically, sam's life. sam liking/wanting/loving/needing/respecting whatever jack is a part of who sam is. if you like the idea of sam being with daniel, then discuss it. she cares for him, and whether i see it as friendship or not doesn't mean you can't discusss it here. no, it's not a shippy thread, but sam *does* love jack in a romantic way, so it's allowed to be discussed. as long as this thread's not being turned into a sam/jack ship thread, then it's allowed to be discussed. if you find we're going in a direction you don't care for, you can talk to me privately, or you can talk to a mod. please leave the 'disciplining' to the ppl that are here for it. and yes, in some way, that is me.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Spoilers for Season 8 (Threads) below

Now that most folks have had a chance to read the Carmen Argenziano article/interview, I wanted to highlight my favorite AT passages.

"Filming that episode and the final scenes with Amanda Tapping was an experience that Carmen Argenziano speaks fondly of and in particular of working with Amanda Tapping overall whom he has nothing but the highest admiration for. Amanda was really distressed over
                      Spoiler:
                      this death of Jacob episode, he explains, closing his eyes to gather his thoughts about this. [...]She was emotionally upset about my leaving
                      , the actor as well as the father of her character. After six years and 26 episodes total of working with me as her father we had really developed a friendship and I always thought of her as a class actress, a Meryl Streep class actress. She has a wonderful sensitivity, wonderful intelligence, nothing prima donna-ish about Amanda at all. She's just real and sweet and positive and smart. She incorporates all that emotional stuff into her performance and she was just wonderful.

[...] and he had high praise for Amanda Tapping's work in the 7th season episode Grace where he felt she did wonderful work having to play Sam Carter all alone on a ship and having hallucinations induced by a head injury that have her questioning her life's choices. She was just phenomenal. Amanda Tapping is a team player and an amazing actress. Argenziano enthuses of her performance."

Refer to the full article by Marla Reed for the complete interview

Comment

Another of my favorite Sam pics...

She just looks like she's having fun...
                        Taunting a few Jaffa? Who wouldn't be having a little fun?

Photo is from http://www.stargatesg1971.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                          Spoilers for Season 8 (Threads) below

Now that most folks have had a chance to read the Carmen Argenziano article/interview, I wanted to highlight my favorite AT passages.

"Filming that episode and the final scenes with Amanda Tapping was an experience that Carmen Argenziano speaks fondly of and in particular of working with Amanda Tapping overall whom he has nothing but the highest admiration for. Amanda was really distressed over
                          Spoiler:
                          this death of Jacob episode, he explains, closing his eyes to gather his thoughts about this. [...]She was emotionally upset about my leaving
                          , the actor as well as the father of her character. After six years and 26 episodes total of working with me as her father we had really developed a friendship and I always thought of her as a class actress, a Meryl Streep class actress. She has a wonderful sensitivity, wonderful intelligence, nothing prima donna-ish about Amanda at all. She's just real and sweet and positive and smart. She incorporates all that emotional stuff into her performance and she was just wonderful.

[...] and he had high praise for Amanda Tapping's work in the 7th season episode Grace where he felt she did wonderful work having to play Sam Carter all alone on a ship and having hallucinations induced by a head injury that have her questioning her life's choices. She was just phenomenal. Amanda Tapping is a team player and an amazing actress. Argenziano enthuses of her performance."

Refer to the full article by Marla Reed for the complete interview
                          We need to have a Samanda Appreciation Day and invite AT to come on by for a bowl of Blue Jello and a chat...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Caption this.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal

Caption this.

sally
                              AT (thinking to herself): I know I prayed to the gods of merchandising for a Sam Carter doll...but this isn't quite what I had in mind...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

And the Blue Jello Awards
                                for the Ultimate Carter Episodes
                                go to....

Grace
                                Jolinar’s Memories/TDYK
                                Singularity

In The Line of Duty
                                Death Knell
                                Foothold

Best Carter Episode Poll Results by Season:
                                Click on the episode titles to view Sam-highlight episode pics

Season 1: SaGC Thread page#43, Post#846
                                Singularity (S1) ............... Robert C. Cooper (Thread page #175, post 9)+ more screen caps (by Über)
                                Solitudes (S1)................. Brad Wright (Thread page #38, post 759)
                                Hathor (S1).................... D. Carren/J Carroll (Thread page #45, post 891)

Season 2: SaGC Thread page#50, Post#983
                                In The Line Of Duty (S2) ..................... Robert C. Cooper (Thread page #50, post 984)
                                Tokra 1&2 (S2).................Johnathan Glassner (Thread page #6, post 105)
                                A Matter of Time (S2) ……...Misha Rashovich, Brad Wright (Thread page #6, post 110)

Season 3: SaGC Thread page#70, Post#1389
                                Jolinar's Memories/TDYK (S3).......S. Wareham, D.Stashower (Thread page #70, post 1390)
                                Foothold (S3).................. Heather E. Ash (Thread page #16, post 306)
                                Point of View (S3)............ J.Glassner, R.Cooper, B.Wright (Thread page #66, post 1320)

Season 4: SaGC Thread page#88, Post#1751;
                                .....Season 4 Episode comments from SaGC members: Post 1752, 1753, 1754
                                Entity (S4)...................... Peter Deluise (Thread page #88, post 1748)
                                Divide and Conquer (S4).... T. Valenza
                                2010 (S4)....................... Brad Wright (Thread page #78, post 1550)

Season 5: SaGC Thread page#117, Post#2338;
                                ....Season 5 Episode comments from SaGC members: Post 2339, 2340, 2341
                                Ascension (S5)................ Robert C. Cooper (Thread page #96, post 1917 and Thread page 11, post 201)
                                2001 (S5)....................... Brad Wright (Thread page #9, post 162)
                                ......................................+ p#205, pst 4083 (by Uber) + p#206, pst 4111 and p#207, pst 4135 - by Nearly Circular

48 hours (S5).................. Robert C. Cooper (Thread page #117, post 2340)
                                Desperate Measures (S5) ….. Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie (Thread page #117, post 2339)

Season 6: SaGC Thead page#147, Post#2921
                                ....Season 6 Episode comments from SaGC members: Post 2926, 2927, 2928
                                Nightwalkers (S6) ……… ...... Joseph Mallozzi, Paul Mullie (Thread page #147, post 2926)
                                Paradise Lost (S6) ………..... Robert C. Cooper (Thread page #147, post 2927)
                                Metamorphosis (S6) ……… ...Jacqueline Samuda, James Tichenor (Thread page #147, post 2928)
                                Unnatural Selection (S6) ……Robert C. Cooper, Brad Wright (Thread page #147, post 2927)

Season 7: SaGC Thead page#182, Post#3621
                                ....Season 7 Episode comments from SaGC members: Posts 3625, 3626, 3627, 3628, 3629, 3630
                                Grace (S7) ………................Damien Kindler (Thread page #182, post 3627)
                                Death Knell (S7) ….............Peter Deluise (Thread page #182, post 3629)
                                Heroes pt 2 (S7) ……… ...... Robert C. Cooper (Thread page #182, post 3629)

Season 8: SaGC Thead page#213, Post#4241
                                ....Season 8 Episode comments from SaGC members: Posts 4243, 4244 , 4245 , 4246 , 4247, 4248 , 4249
                                Threads (S8)………… Robert C. Cooper (Thread page #213, post 4249)
                                Gemini (S8)………… Peter Deluise (Thread page #213, post 4245)
                                Moebius (S8)………. Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie & Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper (Thread page #213, post 4248)
                                Reckoning pt 2 (S8)…. Damian Kindler (Thread page #213, post 4246)
                                Ultimate Sam Carter Episode Summary Comments:
                                Thread page 277, post 5522, post 5523, post 5524 and post 5525
                                Sam's CarterCopter Adventures - by Samfan31
                                The Lost Elder - A Story of the Kingdom of Samanda by Deepspace
                                Part 1 Thread page 154, post #3066
                                Part 2 Thread page 311, post #6203
                                Great Sam lines and quotes
                                SaGC Thread page 167, post 3321
                                Coley's 'Oh Yea We Say Times' - the Royal Newspaper of the Court of Samanda.
                                Thread page 334 post 6670
                                ForeverSG-1's Sam PhotoGallery

NearlyCircular's Audio Clip Summary List
                                Astrogeologist's Carter Screen Cap Gallery
                                Thread Index Post (with links to other important index posts on this thread) - Thread page 357, post 7136
                                Last edited by astrogeologist; 14 May 2005, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X