Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    I'm not too much of a hardened shipper - though I do swing for J/S - however I don't mind hearing people's views on ship. I know this is a Sam thread - but throughout the whole thread - and I did jump in early on - everyone has made comments - mainly J/S and has kept those comments to the minimum. They have been interesting without being intrusive (IMO). If they have increased a little just recently I'm sure it is just for the short term.

Everyone here seems to be able to keep things in perspective - which is why I love visiting. You all have allowed Me a fair bit of lattitude with my sacrastic humour and love of the Oh Yea Times and in return I love hearing everyone else's off topic musings (love that word and got it from here).

We all seem to have a layer to add to the thread and I think it makes for very good reading
    Coley, such great posts, as usual! How's the new computer search going? We need to get you back online and fully-forum enabled!

We've struggled with the ship topic a bit before on this thread, but I agree, most folks have been fairly polite and courteous of one another. I think it became harder to avoid the ship topic as we went through the analysis of the episodes of Seasons 7 and 8... where much of the focus of Sam's screen time became personal issues... the series focussed on Sam's ship, so our thread discussions of Seasons 7 and 8 naturally focussed more on Sam's relationship issues. And yet, I think we did a very good job of not letting the ship (J/S, P/S or whoever) take over the thread.

I know that there are some wonderful folks who post regularly to this thread who are ardent J/S shippers and they have been very good at restraining the slant of their posts and maintaining ship-tolerant views. We have folks who are non-shippers, some are anti-shippers, some are slash shippers, some are J/S shippers, some like other pairings - and to be honest, I've been mightily impressed by the generally courteous and respectful attitudes expressed by almost everyone who posts here.

I like seeing a strong, competent female lead character who is smart, athletic and in command while still being personable and likeable. Ship? In my book it just has to be done well and not detract from the wonderful attributes of the strong female character.

I thoroughly enjoyed the relationship between Sam and Jacob throughout the Stargate series. This was one of the best ships that I've seen on any scifi series. The father-daughter scenes and lines were so wonderfully done by the writers and the actors - both AT and CA were fantastic. There was humor, angst, sorrow, love... and it was generally integrated into the scifi storylines very nicely. Jacob was a secondary character that added depth and humanity to Sam's character.

Another good ship was the Sam-Cassie relationship. And I would have liked to have seen (or heard) a bit more. Singularity was so great in terms of the Sam-Cassie scenes. As with the Sam-Jacob scenes, the Sam-Cassie scenes developed Sam's character beyond the scientist-soldier.

The Sam/Teal'c relationship - I'm with Skydiver and many of the other folks who've said that they'd like to see more of that friendship... comradeship and mutual respect.

In terms of romantic relationships... wow... that's ChopinGal's 500lb gorilla...

I just hope that whatever the series writers and directors do from here on out for Sam - I just hope that they don't detract from her character. If they ship her with someone or not (and I'm not going to stand in Sam's way if they decide to give her a relationship - it just feels mean and selfish for me to say 'no'), hopefully they will write Sam well in Season 9. Allow her to keep her integrity intact.

Who would I be upset to see Sam romantically involved with? Someone who talked down to her. Someone who didn't treat her as an equal, someone who didn't seem to love her. Anyone who talked down to her or didn't treat her as an equal would not seem like someone that Sam would tolerate - that would be out-of-character and it would piss me off.

Sam Carter has been a fantastic female lead character in a famous scifi show. We've said it before, but she's smart, competent, she can handle the soldiering... and as Jckfan so aptly put it - children can 'play Stargate' and the girls can be Sam and have a good role without having to play one of the guys.

So, in terms of ship - it adds dimension and depth to the characters. Gives the actors more range and more of a feeling of reality to their roles. Whether it's friendship or romantic relationships, I just hope that it's done well... written well, directed well and integrated into the scifi premise of the series.

OK... and here's a personal wish of mine... I'd like to see Sam happy! Kickin' arse, enthusiastically dealing with new technologies... and happy! (Yeah, yeah, I know - me and Mary Poppins are going to lunch)
    Last edited by astrogeologist; 22 April 2005, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue

Sam: Damn! Who took the last blue jello!
      Great caption, Rogue! There's even a 'hole' where that last blue jello could have been!
      Oh, here it is!

Comment

I'm not too much of a hardened shipper - though I do swing for J/S - however I don't mind hearing people's views on ship. I know this is a Sam thread - but throughout the whole thread - and I did jump in early on - everyone has made comments - mainly J/S and has kept those comments to the minimum. They have been interesting without being intrusive (IMO). If they have increased a little just recently I'm sure it is just for the short term.

Everyone here seems to be able to keep things in perspective - which is why I love visiting. You all have allowed Me a fair bit of lattitude with my sacrastic humour and love of the Oh Yea Times and in return I love hearing everyone else's off topic musings (love that word and got it from here).

We all seem to have a layer to add to the thread and I think it makes for very good reading
        I believe I'm in safe company because I basically swing with AT's philosophy...that it would have been great to see a Sam/Daniel pairing because, well, he's hot...but that the vibe between them seems to lean more towards them as siblings (her words, not mine). The first ep I saw of Stargate was In the Line of Duty, and even that was in syndication...(I was a late-comer to the series)...and I at the time thought there might be something brewing between Sam and Daniel...but it turns out that was not the case.

Would I love Sam even if she only thought of Jack as her CO? Or if she had fallen in love with Teal'c or Daniel or nobody at all? Of course I would!

I don't love Sam because she has feelings for Jack or because I personally think that they'd be great together. I love Sam because she's a brilliant, funny, dedicated, strong and capable hero. I admire her strengths and can relate with her weaknesses.

For me the Sam/Jack thing is icing on a pretty incredible cake.

That being said, I don't dis people for not seeing Sam and Jack together, or for wanting her with someone else or for not wanting her with anyone. I don't fall quite into the same camp as some J/S shippers who demand you see things their way. Well, okay...I do a little on this thread and tease Agent Dark, tsaxlady and others regarding J/S...but that's all in jest which I believe they both recognize (I hope they see it's just my quirky sense of humor at work). If I ever got the sense that I was insulting or annoying Agent Dark or tsaxlady or others, I'd back down and stop being silly about it...this is after all a tv show and it's supposed to be fun!!!

I don't demand a full resolution in J/S ship (well, okay I do but I'm kidding there too). I THINK that we will before the end of the series see them together because I THINK that's where TPTB want to take them...but I've been down the shippy road before on other shows and have been painfully disappointed. So I enjoy this show and all the elements thereof for what they are.

Stargate is a phenominal show with a particularly phenominal character in Sam Carter...so whether she chooses to pursue something with Jack or someone else (heaven forbid ) or goes it alone, I want to know what's happening in Sam Carter's life and I'm right there with her for whatever that journey entails because AT adds such depth to the role that it makes me care about her and want the best for her. No demands...just support.

Okay...I'll take that back. I do have ONE demand. I DEMAND that she stay the kickbutt team leader of SG-1!!!!

System Lord ÜberSG-1Fan has spoken...THUS SHALL IT BE!!!

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I'm not a shipper, but I haven't found the level of S/J discussion on this list to be bothersome. I realize that what constitutes intrusive is a very subjective issue, but it seems to me that ship is (whether we like it or not), canon (at least to a certain degree), and therefore it is pertinent to any discussions involving Sam as a character. I would hate to eliminate all discussion of Sam's relationships (potential or otherwise), because that is an important aspect of who and what she is.

While I agree that this list should not become a duplicate of any S/J ship lists (and ship should not be the main focus), I am perfectly open to discussing anything that furthers my understanding and appreciation of Sam's character. For example, I find the debate about whether Daniel would be a better match for Sam than Jack to be very interesting. As long as it stays civil (which doesn't seem to be a problem on this very friendly list), I'm cool.

For whatever that's worth.

Though, frankly, I think Carterslave and I are the only ones who really get it. Afterall, Sam is really a closet lesbian, and Janet is her soul mate.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
            I love Sam because she's a brilliant, funny, dedicated, strong and capable hero. I admire her strengths and can relate with her weaknesses.
            Well put, Über!
            I want to know what's happening in Sam Carter's life and I'm right there with her for whatever that journey entails because AT adds such depth to the role that it makes me care about her and want the best for her.
            I couldn't agree more!
            No demands...just support. Okay...I'll take that back. I do have ONE demand. I DEMAND that she stay the kickbutt team leader of SG-1!!!! System Lord ÜberSG-1Fan has spoken...THUS SHALL IT BE!!!
            Astrog adds her troops to Uber's campaign!

Comment

Forever.

Did you make the Sam song up or is it a well known American ditty?!
              If you don't have Oscar Mayer overseas, then you've never heard the off pitch tones of the kid singing in the commercial:

http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/oscarmayer.mp3

The Oscar Mayer theme song is as American as baseball, apple pie and Homer Simpson. Speaking of which, here's Homer's truncated rendition of the song (decidedly more on pitch):

http://www.powerpromoz.com/stargate/...oscarmayer.wav

ON EDIT: I typed in the wrong audio file type so if you clicked on the above before, you got an error message... DOH'! It's fixed now...
              Last edited by Uber; 22 April 2005, 02:39 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

If you don't have Oscar Mayer overseas, then you've never heard the off pitch tones of the kid singing in the commercial:

The Oscar Mayer theme song is as American as baseball, apple pie and Homer Simpson. Speaking of which, here's Homer's truncated rendition of the song (decidedly more on pitch):

ON EDIT: I typed in the wrong audio file type so if you clicked on the above before, you got an error message... DOH'! It's fixed now...
                LOL Über! Great links!

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
                  Point 1: No, the scenes you described were not clear that Jacob was referring to S/J because S is now D's boss so the same situation now applies in reverse: Unfortunately the regs now prevent S/D too!

Yes, some PTB have indicated an S/J preference so with that in mind some audience members may infer Jacob is referring to Jack, but since he did not say "Jack" but referred only to circumstances, the same circumstances apply to Daniel as well.
                  Yes but Sam and Daniel have...to my knowledge (which I fully concede is not infinite, even as a System Lord)...have never shown any kind of romantic spark between the two of them. Like AT said, it's been more like siblings. To my knowledge, she has never had any romantic feelings or sparks in that direction (which like I said before, surprised me because I thought that's where they were going to take things when I first started watching). Jacob teased Sam
                  Spoiler:
                  in front of Jack because he sensed what she wanted even before she was willing to verbalize it IMHO...I mean, the glare she gave him in Threads after the "Go pick flowers" line...and his "What?" in response...
                  Point 2: Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder. I think Sam has chemistry with all of her original teammates, but I agree with the saying "a bird may love a fish, but where would they make a home together?" IOW, S/J may like flirting but they are really too different to have a friendly enjoyable long-term relationship IMO. They'd drive each other crazy--despite what may or may not happen in the bedroom. People aren't in the bedroom all day!

S/D OTOH would have lots to talk about, scientific challenges to puzzle out side by side in a mutually enjoyable intellectual and adventurous way, not antagonistic as J often is to S (and to D for that matter). They're already soul mates IMO with what happens in the bedroom as an added bonus. Plus, we've seen them in domestic situations in Singularity and they seemed quite comfortable.
                  I can give you a gazillion examples in real life and in film of how people that seem to be alike and one might think should be together just don't jive along those lines...sometimes two people can be too much alike...that's happened to me before. I liked this guy but we were just too similar. He was a male me, blonde hair and all. And then there was this one guy who was absolutely the complete opposite of me in every single way, and I fell for him like a ton of bricks...opposites attract. And it's not only about physical attraction...there are aspects of each that compliment the other.

That being said, this is just my silly opinion...if you want Sam to be alone or fall in love with Daniel or even marry General Hammond for that matter, that's your opinion and you're entitled to feel whatever you want. I'm not about to tell you you're wrong in what you feel...I can express my opinion as to what I think, but that and a quarter can buy you a cup of coffee.
                  Point 3: This thread has done a fantastic job of being about Sam the character regardless of who she's paired off with. Let's please continue primarily in that mode. There are plenty of Sam/?? threads to discuss pairings.

I apologize for my long discussion of pairings in this post, but I see a decided S/J slant creeping in and S/J fans being somewhat favored. There's already a S/J Ship Family thread -- so can we please keep the discussion of Sam open to all Sam fans regardless of their pairing preference? Thanks.

hrh
                  I think the S/J ship convo started because of something Carmen said in an interview and continued through there...but I mentioned a little earlier today that I enjoy Sam because she is Sam and love to talk about what has happened and will happen to her character.

Ship or no ship, she's still my fav.
                  Last edited by Uber; 22 April 2005, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your comments.

Re: your request to keep S/J off this thread "as long as" people keep other pairings discussions off. It sounds like you don't want to hear about them. So you see, this is my point, there is much more S/J here than any other pairing, and those of us who don't prefer it are hearing a lot of it and would prefer not to.

Actually I love hearing about other people... I don't even mind hearing about Sam involved with other people. I actually liked many of the men she was very close to and could easily see her become romantically involved with any of them. What I don't like is being told why I shouldn't like S/J together, or why they don't belong together. Everyone is due their own opinion but I find it hard to keep mine to myself when other's try ot make me feel guilty for enjoying the show for what I do. I was only trying to imply that if anyone felt uncomfortable with my discussing S/J then I would try to think of other's viewpoints and limit my discussion of them...if they agreed to be as considerate to those of us who do enjoy the S/J relationship.

I appreciate your effort to rotate your sig in places other than S/J threads.

Congratulations on 10 years with your hubby. That's great! So your projection onto S/J is based on your personal experience. Again, great, and I'm not trying to talk you out of it.

I'm trying to make people aware that there are other interpretations to the characters, and that there are Sam fans who are not ipso facto S/J fans. IMO S/J should not be the favored pairing in a Sam the character thread.

Re: PTB and Sam & Daniel, there are some PTB who are none too subtle in their preference for S/J in these later seasons. (IMO RCC is the biggest one and since he's now showrunner. . . .) So the fact that Daniel did not visit Sam fits RCC's agenda. But S/D shippers have their explanation about that.

In fact, AT expressed in audio commentaries that she was upset that Daniel didn't visit Sam, that she was the only team member he did not visit. Glaring omission for a team show, no?

From a purely all-team, noromo standpoint, this omission is indeed heinous. Daniel "should" have visited all 3, not 2. It excludes Sam extremely from the team. One could argue that:

a) It's sexist
                    b) It serves RCC's J/S agenda by keeping Daniel away from Sam
                    c) It points out PTB's inability to write male/female friendships because if Daniel visits Sam then it "must" be for romantic reasons

None of these reasons is professional or reasonable yet sadly we haven't been given any official reasons, so one is left to wonder. If b) is the correct reason, then I guess it worked 'cause it convinced you.

I totally agree with you that I think it was horrible how Daniel didn't visit Sam while he was ascended as I'm sure most Sam fans feel as well. I also didn't like how he treated her in Full Circle. I didn't like the way the writers totally had Daniel pretty much shun Sam. As I said before, I truly love Sam/Daniel's relationship, but I felt it was drastically changed after his death and ascension and not necessarily for the better. If TPTB had given even a glimmer of something romantic happening between them, then perhaps I may actually be rooting for them now, but that is not the perception I get from the show, nor from reading interviews from the writers/producers or actors.

Yes, I believe some writers have pushed S/J together especially over the past few years, and not to be rude, but they are THE writers. They are expressing stories as they see the characters in their own minds. Therefore if they are writing Sam/Jack as closer than just a working relationshp, regardless of whether someone likes it nor not, it doesn't negate the fact that the relationship does exist. I do not wish to argue opinions or viewpoints of who should or shouldn't be together, we all have our own opinions. However, my viewpoints are much more closer to canon than say someone who is interested in seeing Sam/Hammond together is it not? God forbid I will upset some of the Sam/Hammond shippers out there. I will however try very hard to keep all my future opinions regarding Sam/? to myself and off this thread so as to not offend anyone.

Back to Sam the character, I'm hopeful this season will see the end of the emphasis on personal issues (except about Cassie, by all means, bring her back, that's an unresolved story). My theory is that during the time AT/hubby were trying to start their family, these issues were big on AT's mind and she mentioned them to PTB, and they tried to shoehorn them into Sam's storylines -- which left her with next to no scifi, adventure, leadership, storylines.

Now that AT's had Baby Olivia, perhaps she'll ask to be able to get back into the scifi adventures - and perhaps PTB will let her.

hrh
                    Just goes to prove what an absolutely wonderful person Sam is that so many people can see her romantically involved with just about every man and alien on the show. She's truly the-girl-next-door.

EDIT: I just wanted to say that overall, I think this thread has done an amazing job at allowing others to view their personal likes and dislikes about the show and Sam in particular without stepping on too many toes. I've actually found my views branching out a great deal since reading this thread. In particular, Skydiver and her fanfic has broadened and deepened my opinions regarding Teal'c and the relationship between Sam and Teal'c. Strix and a few others have sparked enough interest in my curious mind to have me looking at femslash between Sam/Janet. Something I never would have done 6mos ago. I really appreciate the divisity we have here on this thread and I hope we can continue to learn from each other.
                    Last edited by ForeverSg1; 22 April 2005, 04:34 PM.

Comment

ROFL... see my little story would have been so much funnier if I had one of these mp3's with it!!!

Thanks a bunch, Uber...you rock!!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        Just goes to prove what an absolutely wonderful person Sam is that so many people can see her romantically involved with just about every man and alien on the show. She's truly the-girl-next-door.
                        Trumpets Blare and Angels Sing

Forever Sg1 has done her thing!

Posted the big one

What a treat

A Samandan feat

Let there be jello

Green and blue

And lots of beans

In royal hues

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                          I was cleaning-up my photo files today and these two pictures ended up next to each other - Thought I would post them here - I figured someone here could come up with a good caption for them

Sam to Cam: "Get your hand off that Chevron, and keep your hands off me! Around here, flyboy, you gotta earn the right for a hands-on experience."

I know, I know, Astro ... it sounds snarky. But look at the amusement on her face. And I just now went back to read the last few pages and realized that many of you already delivered almost the same lines! Looks like we all had the same idea ... go Sam!
                          Last edited by ChopinGal; 22 April 2005, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie
                            Am sitting here in delighted shock after discovering/finally realising that some of my favourite fanfic authors are on this thread!!! YAY!!! MajorSam, AstroG, Strix Varia, and a few others - you guys are awesome!

Back on topic, YAY Amanda for being nominated for the LEO - if she doesn't get it there's just no justice in the world.
                            LOL Ah, yes, 'tis true ... we're fast becoming the Bloomsbury Group of the forum! Keep reading through the posts and you'll find some excellent compilations of Samfic - great links posted by Strix and Astro and Sky etc. which give us all terrific things to do while waiting for S9 to show its face!

And yea YAY for the Leo nomination - may AT add a third award to her mantle - to keep company with those won for Ascension and Grace!

Comment

Chopingal: Our Royal Page has been diligent about maintaining the kingdom's records of birth. We would be remiss not to notice that her own birthday is about to occur, probably whilst she is away from Samanda.
                              I hereby commission Royal Photographer or Keeper of the Flame to commemorate the littlest Page's day of birth in a gentle manner so that she is able to enjoy the tribute without too much embarrassment.
                              Jester
                              Hey guys. Yes I was away for my birthday. I’ve actually been home for a few days now, but I wanted to catch up and actually have something more worthwhile to say than just “Hi, I’m back”. First of all I’d like to give a really big thankyou to everyone who wished me a happy birthday. And astrogeologist gave me a cake . Despite everything that’s been happening lately, I actually had a really great day.
                              I’m still trying to catch up on all the pages, but I think I have a rough idea of what’s been happening while I wasn’t here.

coley: Deepspace your eloquence astounds!! Many thanks also for collating the birthday list!!
                              aieee! I don’t think I’ve ever seen the word ‘eloquence’ in the same sentence as my name before. THANKYOU coley. That means more to me than you could think.

All these people going to cons. *trying not to be jealous…*
                              Thanks to tsax for the inside info, and majorsam for posting the pics. I see orangerator is back, but in less force. My, I can almost distinguish a face under the blurr this time!

Chopingal:
                              Twinkle twinkle little star
                              Now we wonder where you are
                              Once you added to our thread
                              But fell from sight with all our dread ...

We know we're angsty
                              A bit off game
                              Our lighter posts
                              Were much more tame

The lights are dimming
                              All around
                              Sam withdrawal
                              Can be found

At this once
                              Such stellar place
                              Known as Samanda
                              Land of Grace

Twinkle twinkle little star
                              Must we wonder where you are
                              Sam is gone but not you too
                              Please reappear and shine so true

Five star thread is what we need
                              Help us soon get back to speed
                              With calming thoughts, more peaceful space
                              And Samandan joy back in place
                              This is brilliant, and the link to Grace had me LOL. I will go rate this thread now!
                              As everyone has lightened up now, I hope my next few posts, which reply to probably over twenty pages ago, don't change the mood.

It's good to be back in this Samtastic place.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Well, okay...I do a little on this thread and tease Agent Dark, tsaxlady and others regarding J/S...but that's all in jest which I believe they both recognize (I hope they see it's just my quirky sense of humor at work). If I ever got the sense that I was insulting or annoying Agent Dark or tsaxlady or others, I'd back down and stop being silly about it...this is after all a tv show and it's supposed to be fun!!!
                                It was in jest?!?! :O
                                /me scraps revenge plans...

As far as Sam/? ship goes, this thread is great at not getting all focused on it. This thread is about SAM and I think its done a great job at being about Sam. Admittedly, there probably have been posts that I've only skimmed over because they were talking about Sam/Jack or whatever (nothing against the posters of course, it's just that I couldn't be bothered reading them ) but they have been few and far between.

I like Sam because shes a kickarse Character - Smart, Funny, Tough and Good looking I can understand why ppl like to see Sam/Jack together, but I'm one who prefers fanfic which doesn't end with "I love you Jack; I love you too Sam; And they lived happily ever after"

Samanda's a great thread about Sam and if anyone tries to turn it into something else, well I do have access to the Royal Armoury

Comment

Working...
                                X