Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    OKay what have I missed. Amanda will not be back until the 7th ep?! Is that right? Oh my giddy Aunt. How will I get through watching 6 eps without Sam? It's just not right that. How will the SGC manage without her?
    i haven't heard anything one way or the other. since we haven't heard anything about the sixth ep, we can still hope that sam returns. (i'd like to have at least five eps of the first half of season nine to watch)

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia
      Hey, thanks, Astro, another good one to add to my list. I really enjoyed this.

Also, I'd like to recommend:

Surface Tension by Salieri
      http://salieri.bonuspoints.net/surface_tension.html

The first time I came across it, I didn't make it past the beginning. I didn't like it at all. But someone on another list recommended it, and I went back to it; forced myself to continue reading it... and wow. I sure was glad I did. I was half-way through the story before I finally figured out what was going on, and things finally started to make sense. Plus, I think that Salieri uses some of the most beautiful and Sam-appropriate language I've come across in a fanfiction story, particularly in the last half. I just love the way she describes things using scientific analogies:

"O'Neill stops her in the corridor by the elevator, a hand reaching for her arm and missing as she steps back. There is a slippery kind of resistance between her and the world, like the positive ends of two magnets forced together. She can't stand the thought of their smooth hands on her skin and she is deflected subtly sideways when they try to touch her, a slave to an immutable law. His hand hovers uncertainly in the air for a moment before retreating to his pocket."

I just wanted to let people know that this one might be worth trying again if they gave up in the beginning like I did.

Hugs,
      Strix

first off, i wanted to say that i read (all ten chapters) of 'character' last night (till after 2:30am), and i LOVED it! GREAT fic!

as for 'surface tension'... what's it about? i can't see a summary.

sally
      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
        lol, you had me wondering for a sec which episode that was from...
        Hah! You flatter me more than you know. Alas, that line is from an episode that exists only in my dreams—although TPTB have my permission to steal it. You can be sure Fraiser is nursing a 10,000-sun pash for Carter just from the way she gazes at her in 100 Days & 2010. (And then I saw the closeup of the famous Doe Eyes in A.D.'s signature photo & was SamSmitten all over again, so I know exactly how Janet feels.)

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
          Spoiler:

I think that would be a nice way to erase all the bad issues the writers of the show have added to Sam's life over the past year, but the bad thing about all that is that Sam would have lost a year of her life. She would suddenly have to deal with not only losing her father but finding out that her best friend (Janet) is dead as well.

I don't think shippers would be very happy with the whole S/J thing either...it would be too much like an AU ending. If RDA could be around a bit more, I could see where the storyline could have a cool direction but I guess more than anything I have to think that living your life and making mistakes along the way has got to be better than one day waking up and finding out that everything in your life has gone on without you. Sam has had so many wonderful moments with Jacob since Grace of last year it would be terrible to think they were all for naught.

I guess this idea is really hard for me, because there are some things that have happened that I truly wish would simply disappear, but there were some truly wonderful moments that would be disheartening if they never truly happened.

Not sure if any of that makes sense,
          Kat
          It made lots of sense, and I think a lot of viewers/fans would feel the same way...
          Spoiler:
          but I was thinking that the original 'Sam' would still have all the stuff to deal with - it wouldn't be erased. And the 'copy' would have to continue to deal with what happened... Actually, they'd both have to deal with everything that happened. And, oh, what a rich and deep backstory it would give Sam. All the fanfics that could be written about the time that she was away. All the potential adventures as she tried to figure out how to get back.

And the angst that the guys would have to deal with! How guilty would they feel for not knowing that they didn't come back with her, but came back with a 'copy'. There'd be conversations.... It wasn't truly their fault... How could they have known? But still... the lingering feelings of guilt... ooooo.... what great angst!

Juicy, rich storyline possibilities...

And I'd have the 'Sam copy' talk to Jack before she left... and tell him how Sam feels for him - she would know!

And it would be great to turn those lines around where Sam has to point out her promotion to someone.. "Actually it's Major now" and "Actually it's Lt. Colonel now" (of course, the second one was Replicarter to Yu).... but this time the original Sam could come back - still thinking she's a Major... and Jack or Daniel could tell *her*, "Actually, it's Lt. Col now,"

Ah well, I think they could work the stories wonderfully as scifi - and not 'erase' anything that happened while our Sam was gone - it just happened to a different Sam. And now our original Sam has to be brought up to speed...

And I know that however much I like the Sam-copy idea... there's more of a likelihood of Sam getting Tokrafied than having an alternate Sam story come along. **Please, please, Astrog prays to the scifi writing gods, please, please do not Tokrafy Sam in Season 9... or 10... ** Season 9 will show whether or not the SciFi gods listen to Astrog prayers at all

Comment

Still Waters by Valerie Kessler
            http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1994606/1/
            This was a fic that I'd read before, but I just read it again - and it's still excellent! Here's one of the many paragraphs that I really liked:

She's every inch what the Air Force has made her, and proud of it. But she's also still the little girl who sat glued to the TV for every launch from Kennedy, when the rest of the world had gotten bored and turned its attention elsewhere before she was even old enough to understand what was going on. She's still the gawky tomboy who found a grown woman's grace overnight and kept us all from getting sucked into the black void where her mother used to be. She's still the whiz-bang cadet who blew every curve to vapor and barely even noticed, because she was too busy tackling the next burning mystery of the universe.

Thanks again for the fic links, Strix!

Comment

Okay. Sorry. I've gone back and edited. Anything rated "R" or "NC-17" is marked "over 18." Femslash stories are duly noted.
              Id just like to say I absolutely love all these stories you are posting but man oh man...you're killing me. It's 3:15am and I'm just now heading to bed because I've gotten wrapped up for the 3...no 4...actually I have no clue how many days it's been now. But I'm up all night reading stories and I have to be up in 4hrs to take my 4yr old to play group. Arg!! This is nuts I tell you. I think I'm seriously crossing over to the certifiably wacko. Coffee...must have coffee!

Please keep those lists a coming....
              Kat

Comment

MajorSal and Astro - I just love your avators - is that what they are?

Forever - Brilliant new sig!

ChopinGal your post to The Keeper was brilliance!!

Astro Oh just love, love, love! the 2010 pic - thanks for putting it up!! She's so sweet!

Is there a comprehensive list being compiled somewhere of the SamFic - or is it a case of trawling the posts and downloading the links? Thanks again to everyone for taking their time to do this and putting in the warnings. My prude Brit nature will prevent me wanting to look at ceratin types of fic!!

Ohhh I'm on the brink of a computer purchase - may be a stable viewer again -

and no sarcy comments please 1Speed about my stability. It must be your coffee break now why you not on the thread doing your Samandan duty and posting like crazy! For instance what do you think of the AT/Sam pics being posted?!

Oh Woe - off to the dentist!!!

Comment

Well after a rough flight today I'm back home from Vancouver. They had a cool exhibit of some things from both SG-1 & Atlantis at the Con - thought y'all might like to see a few of the things they had on display. Click on thumnails to see larger image.

Recognize this guy? Can anyone name all the episodes he's been seen in?

A picture from the dance party -

Okay I have to work tomorrow so it's off to bed - Hopefully tomorrow I can catch up on all the posts I missed while gone.
                  My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Great photos tsaxlady!
                    lol at that alien head thing that was in 'Rising'
                    And wtf was Teryl doing in that photo?!!?!?! You know those clowns they have at fairs? Where you throw the balls in their mouths...

Comment

Great photos tsaxlady!
                      lol at that alien head thing that was in 'Rising'
                      And wtf was Teryl doing in that photo?!!?!?! You know those clowns they have at fairs? Where you throw the balls in their mouths...

Thanks Teryl sat down beside me at the party and even though I live in CA now - I'm from the South East and have what some people think is a strong accent (well it may be by CA standards but not in GA were I went to college) so she had started talking with a very thick Southern accent - then when we had the picture taken Michael said something just before the photo was taken about being surrounded by short women at which point Teryl stood on her toes and made faces first a Michael then at the camera -

As for the Alien head your right about "Rising" but that is not the only Stargate it has been in - can you name the other apperences He has made?

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady
                        Thanks Teryl sat down beside me at the party and even though I live in CA now - I'm from the South East and have what some people think is a strong accent (well it may be by CA standards but not in GA were I went to college) so she had started talking with a very thick Southern accent - then when we had the picture taken Michael said something just before the photo was taken about being surrounded by short women at which point Teryl stood on her toes and made faces first a Michael then at the camera -

As for the Alien head your right about "Rising" but that is not the only Stargate it has been in - can you name the other apperences He has made?
                        lol, sounds like you had a great time

Those alien things were in the Movie as well right? Daniel gets drag halfway across the desert by one if I remember

Comment

lol, sounds like you had a great time

Those alien things were in the Movie as well right? Daniel gets drag halfway across the desert by one if I remember
                          I did have a great time - I will post more on the con in the next day or two

Your right about the Movie - But he has made one other apperance (It is the reason Martin Wood had him put on display. Becuase of three apprences He has made all tie in together.

Comment

Ok, I'm completely stumped on the third appearance...

Comment

Astro

1Speed - help me out here!!!
                              As Samanda's leading Professional Lancastrian, you're doing a grand job - keep it up!!!

Oi!! 1speed4Sam I hope you realize that you'll be in soooo much trouble if you go mute on me on the thread. The idea is to post - LOTS!!!! AND THEN LOTS MORE!!!!!
                              Apologies (and thanks) to anybody who missed me yesterday, but it was "Bad Technology Day" round these parts - whenever I tried to post, my communication device gave up the ghost (ooh, hark at me - suddenly I'm a poet ). At first, I thought I was triggering a hidden Sarcasm Filter, but as the Royal Accountant's posts seem to get through OK, there obviously isn't one (or if there was, it's gone into meltdown by now). Hmm, wonder if the tone will change once the dentist has de-fanged her today...
                              Last edited by 1speed4Sam; 19 April 2005, 04:30 AM.

Comment

I can still bite!!

Comment

Working...
                                X