Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a lovely rant, Astro!

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    So what made my jaw drop? What made me cringe, wince and then groan with disgust? The morning scene where Pete demands to know what she does on the job - and then he gets pissy and unreasonable. His behaviour was deplorable.
    As a cop, you'd think he'd understand the concept of "classified" and "confidential."

And Sam's reaction was pathetic and needy. It was like they were suddenly writing for two afternoon soap opera characters instead of Sam Carter and her boyfriend. The sudden shift in attitude, demeanor and dialogue stunned me. Made me nauseous to watch her plead with him. I didn't expect Sam to 'bust his balls', but I expected her to 'hold her own' and do it with grace... I was astounded that they wrote her pleading with him!
    I didn't have this reaction at all. I thought Sam acted appropriately for someone who was watching the first serious relationship she'd had in years (as far as we know) go down the tubes. The pleading just struck me as a reflection of a very Sam-like desire to fix something that she knew couldn't be fixed. We've seen that she doesn't always handle really emotional situations with exceptional dignity (kicking the elevator in Singularity comes to mind). And by the end of the scene, it seemed to me that she had resigned herself to losing him.

I was then extremely disappointed to watch them continue this Sam-soap-storyline into an engagement and then into what happened in Threads. I am just sad about what it did to the character of Sam Carter. I *really* wanted Sam to have a life outside the SGC... to date... wear real clothes... etc... And I still do... just not dating someone who acts the way Pete did that morning... and not at the expense of the scifi and heroic storylines that she would otherwise be an integral part of.
    Spoiler for Covenant:
    Spoiler:
    I thought Alec Colson from Covenant would have been a much better romantic interest for Sam than Pete. He was much closer to her intellectual match; shared a common interest in science, discovery, and flying; and they seemed to have a certain chemistry going in the episode. They could have combined the dating and scifi/heroic storylines with him a little better than Pete, I thought.

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
      possible spoilers for Moebius:
      Spoiler:
      This is in a way a bit like how I felt after Moebius. It was a kind of reality check. It made me realise that I am more likely to end up like the AU Sam than the real Sam, though right now I think I'd be lucky to do even that. I just don't see myself as ever being as bright and smart and amazing as Sam. Anyway, if you are a dork, then I like you because that means you are probably just like me. Not that anyone's ever told me I'm a dork, but it's come close a few times when some kids I know have told me I'm weird and that I don't have a life and when am I going to grow up. Oh, and some other kids can't understand why on earth I could possibly want to study science, because they think it's boring. And I think I've been called a geek once, but I'm not sure why, considering that I usually assosciate the word geek with people who are good with computers (or is that nerd?) and I am really not good with computers. Anyway... why did I write all that?
      Then perhaps like Sam....
      Spoiler:
      in some alternate timeline, you're part of a team that ... travels to other planets and defends Earth against alien invasions...

So my question for you is WHAT DID YOU DO in that alternate reality to bring this one into being?!???

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

chopingal: A Samanda Easter Song

Here we tell Samantha's tale
        Hopping down the Stargate trail
        Hippity hopping
        S9 is on its way

Who knows where our Sam will land
        What spaceship will she command?
        Taking charge
        Is what we want to see

SG1 can do its thing
        New guy coming in the Spring
        Lots of changes
        Carter's not around

Let the writers have their fun
        Teal'c and Danny on the run
        General Jack's
        Moving out and on

Holy Hannah
        What a mess
        What happens now
        Is anyone's guess

Just make sure our Sam prevails
        Comes back strong amidst travail
        Reunites with SG1
        Ready for action and some fun

Fearless Carter at the helm
        Back in place in Stargate realm
        Will she find her evil twin?
        What will end, what will begin?

She knows how to shoot a gun
        Better yet, blow up a sun
        Hippity hoppin'
        Sam is on her way

Missin' Jack a little bit
        Buys herself a fishin' kit
        Hippity hoppin'
        Down to O'Neill's pond

Maybe Jack will see her there
        Doesn't matter she's prepared
        For the one big fish
        That almost got away

Throws her line and reels him in
        What a fight and what a grin
        Happy endings
        Always make me smile

So there's my tale of Sunny Sam
        Hoppin' down to Stargate land

Tried to rhyme it best I could
        Sing along, I wish you would
        Getting late, I have to pack
        Will miss you all 'til I get back ...

Hippity hoppin'
        Happy Easter Day!

Jester
        this made me smile I don't really do Easter, but hey, it doesn't harm to say it to all you folks. Happy Easter to you and all here.

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia

As a cop, you'd think he'd understand the concept of "classified" and "confidential."

I didn't have this reaction at all. I thought Sam acted appropriately for someone who was watching the first serious relationship she'd had in years (as far as we know) go down the tubes. The pleading just struck me as a reflection of a very Sam-like desire to fix something that she knew couldn't be fixed. We've seen that she doesn't always handle really emotional situations with exceptional dignity (kicking the elevator in Singularity comes to mind). And by the end of the scene, it seemed to me that she had resigned herself to losing him.

Spoiler for Covenant:
          Spoiler:
          I thought Alec Colson from Covenant would have been a much better romantic interest for Sam than Pete. He was much closer to her intellectual match; shared a common interest in science, discovery, and flying; and they seemed to have a certain chemistry going in the episode. They could have combined the dating and scifi/heroic storylines with him a little better than Pete, I thought.
          But then of course
          Spoiler:
          Alec would have met some sort of Goa'uldish fate, as his brother is NOT the executive producer of the show...

Man! I'm really hammin' it up today! I should really drink less coffee...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Then perhaps like Sam....
            Spoiler:
            in some alternate timeline, you're part of a team that ... travels to other planets and defends Earth against alien invasions...
            So my question for you is WHAT DID YOU DO in that alternate reality to bring this one into being?!???
            Thankyou uber, you make me smile.

Boy, have I been posting too much today! I feel like I have been spamming the thread or something with countless nuisance posts. I normally don't do this. Sorry.

Oh, and Atlantis is coming to air on Sunday. I am actually a little nervous, because I think I probably won't like it that much.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

Exactly!
              I thought Sam acted appropriately for someone who was watching the first serious relationship she'd had in years (as far as we know) go down the tubes. The pleading just struck me as a reflection of a very Sam-like desire to fix something that she knew couldn't be fixed. We've seen that she doesn't always handle really emotional situations with exceptional dignity (kicking the elevator in Singularity comes to mind).
              Now for that scene in Singularity, I thought Sam's emotional response was entirely appropriate... (she didn't come across as pathetic or needy as in Chimera).... In Singularity, she showed a fire of spirit as well as complete and total frustration... I think handling that scene calmly would have been the wrong way to react. That was a perfect scene to show Sam Carter 'losing it'...kicking and wailing on the side of the elevator... entirely appropriate... entirely human. Perhaps that's a nice counterpart to Jack's losing it in Red Sky when he wails on that guy after a couple of his men are killed. (correct me folks if I got the episode wrong).
              Spoiler for Covenant:
              Spoiler:
              Yeah, earlier in the thread, several folks suggested lots of various options for Sam's beau that would have incorporated the development of Sam's personal life into the scifi Stargate storylines. And I agree... I wish they'd somehow interwoven it in a more intriguing and clever way than they did with Pete.
              Last edited by astrogeologist; 25 March 2005, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                BTW, looking at the ol' calendar, I see that it's been, what, 10 days since due date? Man, she just must be miserable by now...
                Where is the Royal Infant? Wow... hard to believe that we haven't heard *anything*! I sure hope everything is OK with AT and the baby!

Comment

It made me realise that I am more likely to end up like the AU Sam than the real Sam, though right now I think I'd be lucky to do even that. I just don't see myself as ever being as bright and smart and amazing as Sam. Anyway, if you are a dork, then I like you because that means you are probably just like me. Not that anyone's ever told me I'm a dork, but it's come close a few times when some kids I know have told me I'm weird and that I don't have a life and when am I going to grow up. Oh, and some other kids can't understand why on earth I could possibly want to study science, because they think it's boring. And I think I've been called a geek once, but I'm not sure why, considering that I usually assosciate the word geek with people who are good with computers (or is that nerd?) and I am really not good with computers. Anyway... why did I write all that? [/spoilers]
                  Hey Deepspace, there's no shame in liking science, not at all... As I'm sure Astro will happily attest, science can be fun, exciting, stimulating, and it has transformed our world (and our understanding of it). Yeah, Sam is amazing, but she is a fictional character. The real heroes (to me) are all those geeks and dorks out there who are expanding our knowledge of the universe every day. And I say geeks and dorks very tongue in cheek.

There are a few websites that I visit frequently to expand my puny brain, and you might find them entertaining in the absence of anyone being willing to talk science with you:
                  http://www.space.com (all the latest news going on about space, astronomy, etc. written in language I can actually comprehend)

And for my anthropology fix (a site that Daniel might appreciate):
                  http://www.tamu.edu/anthropology/news.html

Also, I periodically subscribe to Science News:
                  http://www.sciencenews.org/
                  They have articles on their website, too.

Sorry for rambling off-topic here a bit...

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                    Exactly! Now for that scene in Singularity, I thought Sam's emotional response was entirely appropriate...
                    I agree. I just thought she reacted appropriately in both scenes (in case you thought I meant I didn't like the Singularity scene...)

Man, this has been a long Friday afternoon. And I have obviously been incredibly productive here at work...

My LJ

Comment

I didn't exactly see it as pleading either. Not a "please don't leave me" kind of thing anyway. It was more, "give me a chance to explain." But he acted like a jerk. I so liked him until then.

I'm really looking forward to Moebius Pt 2 tonight. But the bad thing is that that means no new episodes for a looong time.
                      hey, Deep Space. I feel like I'm spamming too today. I am soo avoiding work today. I've been off from school this week, but that doesn't mean the work totally stops.

Comment

strix: Hey Deepspace, there's no shame in liking science, not at all... As I'm sure Astro will happily attest, science can be fun, exciting, stimulating, and it has transformed our world (and our understanding of it). Yeah, Sam is amazing, but she is a fictional character. The real heroes (to me) are all those geeks and dorks out there who are expanding our knowledge of the universe every day. And I say geeks and dorks very tongue in cheek.

There are a few websites that I visit frequently to expand my puny brain, and you might find them entertaining in the absence of anyone being willing to talk science with you:
                        http://www.space.com (all the latest news going on about space, astronomy, etc. written in language I can actually comprehend)

And for my anthropology fix (a site that Daniel might appreciate):
                        http://www.tamu.edu/anthropology/news.html

Also, I periodically subscribe to Science News:
                        http://www.sciencenews.org/
                        They have articles on their website, too.

Sorry for rambling off-topic here a bit...
                        I like going to space.com. I also visit ESA and NASA sites, lately mostly the Cassini homepage, as I've been following the mission carefully, and am also doing a personal project on it. I am actually currently looking up astrogeology websites looking for info right now. I like astrobiology.com. Also various other sites, some smaller than others. I generally just google for whatever my latest particular interest is.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

To atone for my earlier ranting... ... I went to see what pics I could get... and I was intrigued by the couple of great shots that folks have posted from Evolution, so I went sifting through those screen caps... and came up with these screen cap panels... hope you enjoy them

Just a few different looks at Sam Carter

Love Sam leading the way and her Dad just behind.
                          (The original screen caps were *very dark)

Sam and Jacob... I love just about every scene that they are in together. This scene was simply touching.
                          Photos are from http://www.stargatesg1971.com/index.html

Comment

jckfan: hey, Deep Space. I feel like I'm spamming too today. I am soo avoiding work today. I've been off from school this week, but that doesn't mean the work totally stops.
                            I didn't know you were still at school. So what do you learn?
                            Oh, here I am again, sitting here waiting for people to post, spamming the thread with useless conversation. It's funny, often you all seem to have great long posting sessions, replying back and forth back and forth, like in a chat session or something. When I'm on it's a little more quiet, though today people are posting. The life of an aussie teenager early in the morning during easter. Hmm, guess I should go do something hey.

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

I like astrobiology.com.
                              Cool! Thanks for the link!

My LJ

Comment

The life of an aussie teenager early in the morning during easter. Hmm, guess I should go do something hey.
                                Pfft, doing stuff is overrated
                                Oh and don't worry too much about Atlantis. IMO its pretty good, not as good as SG-1, but still better than pretty much everything else on TV atm...

Jaw Dropping Sam Scenes:
                                In addition to the ones already said...

When she got Goa'uld'ed at the start of 'In the Line of Duty'. Obviously at that time I didn't realize it was a Tok'ra, and so when she stood up with her eyes glowing I got a real shock.

Her first scene in Chimera...
                                I mean, I knew she was a very attractive woman , but woah!

Comment

Working...
                                X