Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
    To be fair TPTB started it. Probably MS would have been asked about Daniel/Vala relationship...
    Yiesh! *rolls eyes at TPTB*
    --Kate

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
      Can't anyone interview Amanda without going on about Sam's sex life? Interviews with MS or CJ don't ask the actors about Daniel or Teal'c's romances and relationships, so why is it always brought up? She's more than just the love interest of the leading man, it's selling the strong, interesting woman short again and fulfilling a stereotype about what a character should be.

FF
      Thankfully, that's just one question. But it can be frustrating, yes.

I was halfway through translating it, but seeing as the highlights edition is already on the S/J thread, it saves me a job. I love translating, but why reinvent the wheel? Especially when it's probably been done by someone with better French than me! LOL.
      Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Can't anyone interview Amanda without going on about Sam's sex life? Interviews with MS or CJ don't ask the actors about Daniel or Teal'c's romances and relationships, so why is it always brought up? She's more than just the love interest of the leading man, it's selling the strong, interesting woman short again and fulfilling a stereotype about what a character should be.

FF
        I don't speak French, so I don't know what exactly was asked. I imagine, though, that it wasn't about sex but a relationship. It was asked because it's been a storyline that's been part of Carter's character for most of the show and because allusions to it continue without granting fans confirmation.

Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post

I was halfway through translating it, but seeing as the highlights edition is already on the S/J thread, it saves me a job. I love translating, but why reinvent the wheel? Especially when it's probably been done by someone with better French than me! LOL.
        I wouldn't mind seeing your translation as well.

Comment

To be fair TPTB started it. Probably MS would have been asked about Daniel/Vala relationship...
          I can't remember an interview in the last two, three years mentioning Vala as the focus of Daniel's character. There have been quotes about how much MS likes working with Claudia, and vice-versa.
          And I'm not blaming Amanda in any way. The US Air Force gave SG1 their seal of approval, TPTB repaid them by implying two USAF officers in a compromising relationship, what a way to repay them.

FF
          sigpic

Comment

I can't remember an interview in the last two, three years mentioning Vala as the focus of Daniel's character. There have been quotes about how much MS likes working with Claudia, and vice-versa.
            And I'm not blaming Amanda in any way. The US Air Force gave SG1 their seal of approval, TPTB repaid them by implying two USAF officers in a compromising relationship, what a way to repay them.

FF
            But there wasn't a relationship between Sam and Jack while they were in the same CoC. There are small hints for something happening after they went seperate ways with their cariers. There is a difference in having feelings for someone and having a relationship. Feelings can't be controled. There was chemistry and UST between the characters since the start of the show in CotG.

I just wish they solve it all ready. One way or another.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
              But there wasn't a relationship between Sam and Jack while they were in the same CoC. There are small hints for something happening after they went seperate ways with their cariers. There is a difference in having feelings for someone and having a relationship. Feelings can't be controled. There was chemistry and UST between the characters since the start of the show in CotG.

I just wish they solve it all ready. One way or another.
              Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder, to me and to a lot of SG1 fans, that chemistry was forced and tedious.
              And feelings most certainly can be controlled, it's a sign of being a responsible adult, controlling your feelings. Have you never been attracted to someone who was unobtainable, a married person, someone it would be wrong to get into a relationship with? You don't act on those feelings or you make a move to alter the situation to make it acceptable. That's what adults have to do, it's a sign of maturity, rather than a childish crush.
              They were never going to address the issue while the show was current, had no intention of. TPTB strung along the people who liked the relationship and annoyed the rest of us viewers by picking at it like a scab over a wound, never letting the matter rest.

FF
              sigpic

Comment

Happy birthday to all I've missed!!!! Hope you had a fantastic day

I'm off to France for 5 days *woohoo*, my mom promised me to buy the Ark of truth, which should be released here any day now. Something to look forward to when I get back
                *hugs thread*

Comment

To be fair TPTB started it.
                  Indeed

I don't really see what's wrong with asking the question. There are many fans who want a definitive answer, a clear yes or a clear no. Until it's given or written then people who are interested in that relationship (like the interviewer presumably) will keep asking that question. I don't think it creates the perception that Sam is nothing more than second fiddle to the leading man. I've read many interviews that have focused on Sam the soldier, Sam the scientist, and yes, Sam the woman. And I've never come across a Sam fan who might also be a Sam/Jack shipper who says "Oh well I only like Sam because she's Jack's little women". That's absurd. Of course there's more. Much, much more. But there still are many stargate viewers who want that storyline tied up. They don't want maybe, they don't want deleted scenes, they just want the yes or the no (though granted the folks I'm talkin' about are pushing for the yes). For me, the question doesn't diminish Sam. An interview might ask the question, but it's not as if the entire interview is the question.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
                    Indeed

I don't really see what's wrong with asking the question. There are many fans who want a definitive answer, a clear yes or a clear no. Until it's given or written then people who are interested in that relationship (like the interviewer presumably) will keep asking that question. I don't think it creates the perception that Sam is nothing more than second fiddle to the leading man. I've read many interviews that have focused on Sam the soldier, Sam the scientist, and yes, Sam the woman. And I've never come across a Sam fan who might also be a Sam/Jack shipper who says "Oh well I only like Sam because she's Jack's little women". That's absurd. Of course there's more. Much, much more. But there still are many stargate viewers who want that storyline tied up. They don't want maybe, they don't want deleted scenes, they just want the yes or the no (though granted the folks I'm talkin' about are pushing for the yes). For me, the question doesn't diminish Sam. An interview might ask the question, but it's not as if the entire interview is the question.
                    But Amanda can't answer that question. She's not Sam, she's an actress. The question needs to be directed to the writers. Her opinion is not going to have any bearing on what happens to the character. She can't tell the interviewer what is the current status of the relationship, she doesn't know.
                    There might have been 'many' viewers a few years ago, we have never had any quantifiable evidence of how invested the bulk of the viewers were in it, but RDA left the program at the end of season 8. That story line is over, past. Both fans and the SG1 story has moved on.
                    I ask again, why isn't there the same emphasis in the interviews with CJ and MS on their characters love life? Why is it so important to Amanda's character and not theirs? If the Sam/Jack fans aren't seeing Sam as one part of a dyad, why does the question com up again and again and again?

FF
                    sigpic

Comment

But Amanda can't answer that question. She's not Sam, she's an actress. The question needs to be directed to the writers. Her opinion is not going to have any bearing on what happens to the character. She can't tell the interviewer what is the current status of the relationship, she doesn't know.
                      There might have been 'many' viewers a few years ago, we have never had any quantifiable evidence of how invested the bulk of the viewers were in it, but RDA left the program at the end of season 8. That story line is over, past. Both fans and the SG1 story has moved on.
                      I ask again, why isn't there the same emphasis in the interviews with CJ and MS on their characters love life? Why is it so important to Amanda's character and not theirs? If the Sam/Jack fans aren't seeing Sam as one part of a dyad, why does the question com up again and again and again?

FF
                      From an interview perspective I have seen Claudia asked about Vala's relationship with Daniel and Michael asked about Daniel's relationship with Vala. I've even seen one interview where Rick was asked about Jack re Sam. Amanda is incredibly generous with her time and does a number of interviews which means she gets the asked the question a lot. I have also seen interviews with Amanda in recent years where she wasn't asked.

For better or worse - depending on whether you like the arc or not - the will they/won't they element of Sam's relationship with Jack was part of her character story (unless its a viewer who simply denies it exists at all in which case the interview question probably brings on general feelings of bemusement). I do think if Amanda is specifically being asked - when will they get together? - well that is a question for the production & writers not for the actress (given that even if she filmed something that did resolve it she wouldn't be able to answer because of the spoiler) but asking her do you think the characters should get together or would you (as the actress) like to see that storyline resolved is a pretty standard question IMO perfectly appropriate to ask (although completely unoriginal).
                      sigpic
                      Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                      My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Has anyone bothered to translate the rest of the interview?
                        Or is Amanda's opinion on S/J all that could possibly matter?

FF (who speaks English and a smattering of Welsh, but not French despite the best efforts of her long suffering French teacher in the 1970's)
                        sigpic

Comment

FF (who speaks English and a smattering of Welsh, but not French despite the best efforts of her long suffering French teacher in the 1970's)
                          As of the previous page Tracy Jane stated that she was working on it, which I'm assuming will be the whole thing (I hope so)
                          sigpic

Courtesy of smurf, as always

Comment

FF, I'm working on it. It's a long interview, so it's taking a little time. Please be patient!
                            Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

FF, I'm working on it. It's a long interview, so it's taking a little time. Please be patient!
                              Thanks TJ, as long as it's being translated, I'm happy to wait as long as it takes.

FF
                              sigpic

Comment

Merci Beaucoup, Tracy Jane

Comment

Working...
                                X