Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChopinGal

And, wow ... having Daniel make an appearance (real or imagined) at end of Metamorphosis would have been so right on! (I also felt it wasn't fair to Sam to be left out of the visions.) We'll just have to write a new tag fic for that episode - and give Sky some competition.

doit, doit, doit....is it done yet??? huh? huh? huh?

Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      doit, doit, doit....is it done yet??? huh? huh? huh?

I'm thinkin' about it!!!

But I can't get to Daniel and Sam, until I resolve Fifth and Sam in Head Trip!

Comment

Okay, I'll play your silly game ...

Season 6 Favorite Episodes (I just did my patriotic duty and voted!):

Nightwalkers - as Sky already said, what's not to like? Sam Carter going undercover with her team - Sam in charge - Sam getting goa'ulded again - Sam fooling the bad guys by injecting herself with the antibody - Sam getting to slap Jonas around - and, most importantly - Sam looking hot in black leather!

Metamorphosis - as already mentioned - Sam in danger - Sam whumping by an old enemy (definitely not looking as good as Sam in black leather) - Sam leaning on Jack (aww ... sigh) - Sam needing the missing tag at end of episode to prevent the blood rushing to her head from bouncing back so quickly!

Unnatural Selection - Musical Version: Getting to Know You, Getting to Know All About You (sing along!) - Sam meeting Fifth - Sam feeling sorry - Sam sacrificing self - Sam following orders - Sam being miffed at Jack - Sam going to be in deep s**t ....

Ah, yes, aren't you glad that I was too busy to share my summaries of S5?!
        Last edited by ChopinGal; 05 March 2005, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          PROMETHEUS more kick butt Carter. sam does die hard
          Season 6 Favorite Episodes (I just did my patriotic duty and voted!): Metamorphosis Sam needing the missing tag at end of episode to prevent the blood rushing to her head from bouncing back so quickly! Unnatural Selection - Musical Version: Getting to Know You, Getting to Know All About You (sing along!) - Sam meeting Fifth - Sam feeling sorry - Sam sacrificing self - Sam following orders - Sam being miffed at Jack - Sam going to be in deep s**t ....
          Skydiver and ChopinGal - you guys had me ROTFL! Great comments and irreverancy! Loved it! I have dutifully archived your comments into the brand new and burgeoning Season 6 summary list!

A Season 6 moment that I liked and remember:

Very cool when she used the red laser beam from her gun to activate the 'control' crystal in the wall. I also got a big kick out of her straightforward approach to getting behind the wall... she just shot the he!! out of the wall... not too safe when it comes to preserving artifacts, but beings that the bad guys could be heard coming down the stairs, there wasn't any time for finesse. It was a 'Sam gets to do a Jack O'Neill' solution to a problem in the field!
          Last edited by astrogeologist; 05 March 2005, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Sky

First of all, thanks for some practical suggestions on how to voice our opinions in favor of portraying Sam favorably in S9. I plan to act on them.

More importantly, though, you name what I've been thinking about lately. The amount of time given to portraying a lead character like Sam Carter seems overwhelming. AT has certainly gone on record talking about her dedication and devotion to the franchise and Sam for the past eight seasons. Her day often started before sunrise and ended hours later as the sun was setting. Somehow, she was able to do this with the support of her wonderful husband and family. Having a first baby will definitely change all that. Priorities are shifting ...

Sam may be superwoman on the show; AT, as a new momma, cannot be expected to be superwoman in her private life. I think she wants to try to see just what she is capable of doing because she has this amazing loyalty and love for her fans. So, yes, she is coming back for 15/20; but only time will tell how many hours she'll be able to commit to the season.

I am just so grateful for what we've had to enjoy these past eight years. Here was a young, unknown actor being cast next to RDA and not only did she make Sam Carter come alive, she provided a much needed role model for women of all ages. I don't watch much TV, but Amanda had me hooked from the start because of her beauty, brains, and outstanding talent. And, like many of us on this thread, I was so invested in both the character and the actor that I found myself being defensive of her. This has never happened in my whole life, and probably never again. She felt like one of the family!

I would truly love to see the Sam Carter of the early seasons ... full of spit and spirit ... but I may have to acknowledge that the Sam Carter I will now see may be a more mature, less action-oriented, player. As long as she is written well (by that I mean that there is a respect for the character), then it should not matter.

Amanda has had one fantastic ride up to now (even with some bumps in the road in the later seasons). I will be watching her as long as she's up there on the screen. Sure, I got upset and impatient at some of the writing, but I never got upset at AT for doing what she was paid to do: act to the best of her ability and deliver the lines and scenes that were handed to her! She has been the consummate professional throughout. I see her taking on her new role of momma with the same dedication and care and brilliance! This baby has been her work in progress for the past nine months and now Act I is about to debut! May God bless her and her child and husband. All her fans will be standing in the wings, applauding her efforts.

As I couldn't possibly express my feelings more eloquently than your
            beautifully written statement, I would like to second your sentiments
            in wishing Amanda and her family my best wishes and prayers and
            thank her from the bottom of my heart for eight wonderful,
            adreneline-pumping, heart-wrenching, tear-jerking years. Every year
            since season six there has been a possibility that this could be the
            finale season and each year I consider myself lucky that I have
            been given one more year to enjoy this wonderful cast coming into
            my home each week. Like every year in the past, I will take my
            blessings and be thankful for what I have been given. Regardless
            of when the end finally comes, the character of Samantha Carter
            will be fondly remembered for years to come thanks to Amanda's
            amazing talent and her undeniable dedication to the character of
            Sam and to her fans.

ForeverSG1

Comment

OK... we haven't had a new pic for awhile...
              ... so I thought I'd try this one tonight...

Guess That Episode

Photo is from the Official Amanda Tapping Website

Comment

Spoilers - Threads
                About what Jacob said in threads - She joined the Airforce because of him, is partly true in my opinion. Not only did sam want to be an Astronaut but i believe that she wanted to be closer to her father aswell, and make him proud of her (Jacob has talked about his pride for her in the past) so by joining the military she could accomplish all these things. Him being in the Military obviously influenced her decision big time, she followed in his footsteps - because it was the path to her dream and to be closer to her only surviving parent.
                That is how i view this.
                Do any of you Agree, Or do you Disagree?

Comment

Originally posted by THE BIG UNIT
                  Spoilers - Threads
                  About what Jacob said in threads - She joined the Airforce because of him, is partly true in my opinion. Not only did sam want to be an Astronaut but i believe that she wanted to be closer to her father aswell, and make him proud of her (Jacob has talked about his pride for her in the past) so by joining the military she could accomplish all these things. Him being in the Military obviously influenced her decision big time, she followed in his footsteps - because it was the path to her dream and to be closer to her only surviving parent. That is how i view this. Do any of you Agree, Or do you Disagree?
                  I can go along with both as reasons (I just don't like leaving out the 'it was the path to her dream to the stars' part).

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                    OK... we haven't had a new pic for awhile...
                    ... so I thought I'd try this one tonight...

Guess That Episode

Photo is from the Official Amanda Tapping Website
                    I know this one right off the bat so I'll be a good little Samandite and let someone else answer...

By the way, Avenger 2.0 was on tonight and I watched it again...this time from the perspective of someone watching not just a Stargate ep but a Sam ep - and with that in mind, this is really a great Sam ep!

We get to see her as the super soldier, the brainy scientist, the empathetic team member (Daniel's offworld woes), the mother hen (trying to reign Felger in from his pity party) and strong military officer who can admit when she's wrong about something (that "wrong something" being her opinion of Felger to her CO General Hammond).

I love how calm she is under pressure and just takes the problems as they come. When Felger said they were the intellectual Butch and Sundance, she reminded him how they met their end against the Bolivians...then moments later when trouble came and Felger asked how bad it was, her response was "think Bolivia" as she started picking off the Jaffa. She calmly asked Felger how things were going as she singlehandedly started taking out a platoon of Jaffa and didn't bat an eyelash when the Alkesh hovered above them (this could have been big trouble were it not occupied by O'Neill and Teal'c).

Then of course we have the daydream part of the ep, which gave Amanda a chance to ham it up a little.

On the Samantastic scale, I'm going to give Avenger 2.0 4.5 zats:
                    Last edited by Uber; 05 March 2005, 09:45 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

I'd like to say that Sam is a great character. In my top 4 SG-1 characters.

And that pic was Forsaken and yes, Avenger was a good sam ep.

Comment

I voted for my season 6 faves... (yes, I voted four again... be lucky, it was almost more )

Nightwalkers: Cool Sam! episode! Meaning, Sam was cool in it. She was in charge, she got to be funny, and she got snacked again!

Prometheus: Sam did her best MacGyver yet. And she beat up some poopy head bad guys. Great fun.

Paradise Lost: Sam felt like she screwed up. Sam missed O'Neill. That's a lot of emotions we had fun seeing Sam show. Well done, Amanda!

Metamorphosis: Sam almost became waterwoman. Great scenes of her struggling with the pain and fear. The scene when Jack said she'd be alright, but Sam said 'I don't think so'... wonderful. And of course, her being taken out of the cell and looking back at Jack... she knew what was coming, but cracked a joke to relieve 'his' fear. Just great moments with Sam/Amanda.

Honorable mentions of eps I wanted to vote for:

Decent; the scenes where Sam and Jack are drowning. And then her trying to jury-rig the doors to open so they could get the heck out of dodge. I really liked that part, because it was one of the first times we saw Sam struggle under the weight of pressure. Not a lot, but I enjoyed seeing it.

Unnatural Selection: all her scenes. I really enjoyed the atmosphere of this ep. It felt alien. Sam betrayed Fifth... ah oh....

The Changeling: Firewoman Sam! Okay, it wasn't our real Sam, but I enjoyed seeing Amanda that way. And she was in charge!

Prophecy: Sam got hurt. Almost died. Good Sam whumping. Nice scene with her and Jonas in the infirmary. (I miss Jonas)

Every ep had some good Sam moments/scenes. I really liked season 6 (even though it's nice to have Daniel back).

Sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

To celebrate my 3000th post, I hereby give all my love and support to Amanda Tapping! May you have a healthy baby, and may God bless you with a child as wonderful as yourself.

((((((((((Amanda and Baby))))))))))

Sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

spoilers for s8's threads

astro said:

that's why one of the lines in Threads has really been bugging me - it's when Jacob says 'You joined the Air Force because of me'... That... just pissed me off. To trivialize her life's aspirations with a line like that! And I'm not pissed at Jacob, I'm pissed at the writers who seem to have forgotten what they wrote in Secrets. That was another time when Jacob was dying, but he didn't minimize her military career - no, he tried to help her reach her dreams of exploring space (best of intentions, but not the way that Sam wanted to get there).

Now I know that it's just one little line... and I *love* the character of Jacob... but that line still pisses me off. Especially as it seems like the writers were just trying to create an opening to allow Sam to quit SG-1 and/or the military just so they could remove the regulations as an obstacle to Sam/Jack ship (which I could go for if they set it up without sacrificing the core aspects of these wonderful characters).

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
                            You know that didn't hit me at the time, but you're right. I guess I was more focused on Jacob trying to launch the J/S ship. (sorry, I couldn't resist )

I haven't seen this ep yet (will on Friday), but I've read parts of the script, and when I read what Jacob said, 'You joined the Air Force because of me', I felt he wasn't trivializing Sam's participation in the military, but knowing she joined to please him above anything else. And with that, and the restrictions the regs can bring... he just didn't want Sam to be deprived of what he had himself (a partner he loved with all his heart). I took what he said in a shippy way, but I also took it as Jacob 'finally' being able to let Sam off the hook. About a lot of things. Since he'd gotten Selmac, he became the father Sam always wanted, and he became the father his restricted heart wouldn't let out. It came off to me that Jacob was settling all his faults that he'd subjected Sam too over the years. He knew her real feelings for Jack, and only wanted her to be happy the way he had with her mother. His dying wish. And from what I've been told, the moment he looked up into the observation room and saw that Sam and Jack had 'connected'... he let go.

Aaah, I'm depressing myself. (((Jacob)))

And after all that, I still think Sam's going to stay in the military. I think Jacobs words were meant to show Sam that there's more to life that the military. I didn't feel he was telling her to quit, but to find a way around. You can have it all. Don't let the rules stand in your way... (traaaansfer)

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eddzc23
                              Spoiler for s8's reckoning 2
                              I MISS REPLICARTER SHE WAS AWESOME!
                              Let's hope she's not gone! I mean, just before the rep ship was destroyed, a white light surrounded Daniel AND Replicarter... might she have been saved as well? Maybe Oma and her bunch have RC too... how cool would that be to find out RC's ascended?

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                Let's hope she's not gone! I mean, just before the rep ship was destroyed, a white light surrounded Daniel AND Replicarter... might she have been saved as well? Maybe Oma and her bunch have RC too... how cool would that be to find out RC's ascended?

Sally
                                OMG! What a great thought! Man that would be awesome RepliCarter taking on the ancients... *drools*

Congrats on 3000 posts!

Comment

Working...
                                X