Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    then i would say, if you have the funding to do it...do it. to quote RDA, life's too short.

trust me, if i had an unlimited income and freedom to just go off and do something fun, i would be.

and hey, if you win, maybe we can all send you notes to take to the queen on behalf of all of samanda

I think my comment about money not being the issue was misstated on my part. I have in no way an unlimited income .

I was just trying to state that there are many other things to prevent me from going making money the lowest on the list.

Fear of flying

An inability to strike up a conversation

Fear of embarrassing myself in front of our Queen
    ( two or three mins at a convention I could probably manage but an hour lunch? God help me )

The fact that I homeschool my kids and would have to wait till our school season was over which would probably be the heavy shooting season for Amanda.

Money would honestly be the least of my worries.

But if by some miracle I manage to meet her someday I would DEFINITELY
    take the t-shirt, and all the notes and questions ya'll wanted to send her way with me. I'd even take my laptop...maybe I can hook her up to the thread so she could read some of your wonderful posts about her.

ForeverSG1

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      But if by some miracle I manage to meet her someday I would DEFINITELY take the t-shirt, and all the notes and questions ya'll wanted to send her way with me. I'd even take my laptop...maybe I can hook her up to the thread so she could read some of your wonderful posts about her.
      Smart woman! Bring the laptop... and bring this thread up! Wouldn't it be great to sort of chat with her on this thread? We'd have to make it relatively unadvertised to the rest of the world - to keep the trolls from wandering in!

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace
        This is kind of why I’m not 100% sure about season9. It’s not so much that sam won’t be in it for five episodes, I can deal with that so long as they’ve got a good reason, like being a pilot or somesuch. But, O’neill and his natural humour will be gone. And I think the worst thing will be if they try to make the new guys funny to make up for it, as it will seem like they are trying to replace something that isn’t replaceable. Admittedly, I have found that Jack’s humour has not seemed quite so natural over the past few episodes, maybe more forced and ‘put on’, though it still makes me laugh. But I will always love it, and will misssss it when it’s gone. Part of what makes the things Jack says so funny is the team's response to such things. When the characters think something Jack says is funny, it is hard not to laugh yourself.
        So, my hopes for season9 I guess are to not make the new characters have the sense of humour, but rather develop it in the characters we already have. Sam, Daniel, and even Teal'c (believe it or not) are quite capable of saying humourous things if they are given the chance. It will never be Jack, but still...
        Very good points. The humor has to come out of the situations, not be shoe-horned in. And I agree that the reactions are often what really makes the scenes. They're all good reactors. I remember the commentary from the episode where Cassie develops psychic powers. Apparently RDA went on and on in the briefing room scene about "magnets" and had AT cracking up so bad they had to do several takes. And AT is known as a 1-2 take actress. Fraiser's reaction in the scene is priceless! She sort of shakes her head to clear it of the whole spiel.

On a sort of side note as my thoughts go in all directions...I also remember a director commenting that AT will be able to reproduce the same actions, inflections etc. if they need to do multiple takes for technical or other reasons. I wonder if that's because she's theater trained?

I will miss those little exchanges between Daniel and Jack. "Did so" "did not."

Comment

Fear of flying

** that's something you have to decide for yourself, but i flew to my first con, and my first trip out of the country one week after 9/11. Yes, i was spooked, but i also had been planning to go for almost a year and wasn't going to not go

An inability to strike up a conversation

**and when i got to meet don davis for the first time, i just stuttered too...and he put me totally at ease. it does get easier and i'm willing to bet that amanda's so outgoing and bubbly that she'll NOT let you just sit there and stare at your salad fork

Fear of embarrassing myself in front of our Queen
          ( two or three mins at a convention I could probably manage but an hour lunch? God help me )

** you know, i don't know about amanda personally, but many of the other actors actually have enjoyed getting to meet some of the fans in a much smaller setting. 500 screaming fans can be a bit off putting...but one on one??? it's their one chance to get to know folks. even on these boards, we know they lurk, but none of them post, because they know if they do, then they'll get creamed with folks playing up to them and putting on a front. but lurking, they get to read and see things and get a more honest view of folks. I'm willilng to bet that amanda would LOVE to get to put a face to a name

In the end, you have to decide. it is totally your choice to make but, well think about it. is winning or not winning this something you'll regret? if it is, then maybe you might want to do something about it
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
            I love all the characters. I love the team episodes best, and I always think it is these ep's where Sam seems to shine for me, despite her not having mega screen time, I think it is because she is in such a great context - with the team - and she is such a team player, she rises to whatever is asked/required of her in the team based context - thanks to the writers. I don't mind other characters having screen time. In fact I think they are all really great actors and are a joy to watch.
            Very true. Though I do know (particularly since this thread) that I do pay close attention to Sam.

Astrogeologist "snockered" LOL I have never heard of that one - and I've heard of a lot - blotto, sozzled, stupified, stewed, piddled, pie eyed, inebriated, tanked up, drunk as a lord, p****d as a newt, well oiled, steaming, bladdered- but never snockered - how is it pronounced!
            [/QUOTE]
            How about "three sheets to the wind?"

Comment

For a fun Sam moment from Season 5, I took these screen caps from 'Between Two Fires' a long while back (prompted by a post by chocdoc), but never got a chance to post them... so now that we are voting and commenting on Season 5, here are the screen caps, along with the comments from folks who remarked about these fun scenes:

BETWEEN TWO FIRES
              chocdoc I also liked Sam's reaction in "Between Two Fires" when she goes with Narim to his living quarters and hears her voice when they enter. Her reaction was funny.
              NearlyCircular I loved both their reactions in the scene when Sam and Teal'c realize that Narim is using her voice for announcements, etc. in his home.
              ForeverSG1 I really loved the scene when Sam hears her own voice as the computers simulated voice.
              Deepspace Definitely the part where Sam’s voice is making announcements in Narim’s home. I have liked all the episodes with Narim and the Tollan. I think Narim has a strong respect for Sam, as well as feelings, for while the Tollan consider the humans of Earth to be unadvanced and primitive, he can see that Sam is smart.

-----------------------------
              NARIM’S HOUSE

SAM'S VOICE: Greeting, Narim. Welcome home. Atmospheric control is active.
              Shall I prepare a mid day meal for you and your guests?

<< The faces are priceless!
              Narim just looks appalled that she’s hearing her own voice .
              Sam looks confused and then looks at Teal’C.
              And Teal’C! LOL! Teal’C cocks his head in confusion, then looks at Sam in question! LOL!>>

SAM: Narim …
              NARIM: Yes, Samantha?
              SAM: … is that my voice?
              NARIM: I’m sorry. I … was hoping you wouldn't notice.

Teal’c is on the computer back at Narim’s house. Narim and Sam are on the couch on another computer.
              NARIM: Shall we take a break?
              SAM: Isn‘t there some way to narrow this down? Search the records for spacific topics?
              SAM’S VOICE: Please indicate the topic of interest.
              SAM: (Smiling) OK, how do we shut THAT off. (In reference to her voice)
              NARIM: (Smiling) Voice system off.

The photos are screen captures from the episode 'Between Two Fires'
              The transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Last edited by astrogeologist; 02 March 2005, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure this was an ad-lib as well. It's at the end of Fire & Water (1.13) I'm sorry I could not get a clear picture, maybe because they were using a longer lens I think.

It looks as if RDA caught Amanda and Michael off-guard on this one but Michael managed to keep going. I didn't put him in the shot because I couldn't get the picture large enough to show both of their reactions without
                distorting too much.

DANIEL

Ah, this…this is a long story.
                CARTER

Yeah, I'll bet!
                O'NEILL

Tell us about it over Sushi?
                [DANIEL stares, momentarily speechless, at O'NEILL, who's laughing.]

DANIEL

That's funny. Uh, I will, after I go get some sleep.

Comment

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure this was an ad-lib as well. It's at the end of Fire & Water (1.13) I'm sorry I could not get a clear picture, maybe because they were using a longer lens I think.

It looks as if RDA caught Amanda and Michael off-guard on this one but Michael managed to keep going. I didn't put him in the shot because I couldn't get the picture large enough to show both of their reactions without
                  distorting too much.
                  Good clips. And... When I went back and started getting screen caps over the past couple of months for this thread, I was surprised at the Season 1 DVD image quality... I don't think it's as good as the later seasons... lots of the images look grainy. And I don't think it's the DVD - I think it's what camera they were using at the moment.

Comment

Fear of flying

** that's something you have to decide for yourself, but i flew to my first con, and my first trip out of the country one week after 9/11. Yes, i was spooked, but i also had been planning to go for almost a year and wasn't going to not go
                    A story myself. The summer before 9/11 I went on a grand world trip with my Family, our trip ended and we flew in exactly a week BEFORE 9/11. the Tuesday before the Tuesday. My mom wouldn't fly for AGES afterwards. I think even until our New Zealand/Australia trip last year...

distorting too much.

DANIEL

Ah, this…this is a long story.
                    CARTER

Yeah, I'll bet!
                    O'NEILL

Tell us about it over Sushi?
                    [DANIEL stares, momentarily speechless, at O'NEILL, who's laughing.]

DANIEL

That's funny. Uh, I will, after I go get some sleep.
                    Lol, I can actually definately see that as an ad-lib, but with Amanda cracking up. Sushi is her favourite food in the world, she's claimed she would "crawl over broken glass naked" to get it, so I can see RDA putting that in for her

Originally posted by Coley
                    Madam Pres' many thanks for your edited highlights of Major Sam meets..... Major Sam!!!

Love all the piccis being posted!!!

Enjoy your trip MajorSam - what are you seeing in London - Scotland's the place to be! Tucked up in the Talisker distillery for a couple of days! The occasional foray onto Talisker Beach to clear the head!!!

Take Care Everybody!!
                    I will definately enjoy my trip, in London i'm going to a production of Phantom of the Opera (Love it to bits) and then all the London Eye, Tower of London etc. (or so is planned, you never know what will ACTUALLY happen)

Scotland? Been there done that Rained a lot while I was there... but it did in London as well got some good golf in on the grounds of this castle... very nice. Love Scotland One of the highlights, for little Canadian me, was the "Chemist" sounds like a country full of mad scientists!
                    The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                    |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Well, after reading a number of pages of this wonderful thread, I hardly know what to say, except WOW!!

Thanks, Majorsam, for sharing your phone conversation with Amanda. I am really glad to hear that she is doing so well! I hope you have a great trip!

Foreversg1---I had read about this charity auction a few days ago and saw the lunch with Amanda. I thought to myself, woudln't it be cool if someone on the Samanda thread would be fortunate enough to get to do this, and for charity! Hey, now there is this possibility! I doubt you wouldn't think of anything to say if you really did have lunch with her!!!! This seems like a much better opportunity to meet with her than that at a convention, except maybe GABIT. GABIT is the only convention I've even thought of going to---probably won't, but you never know.

All great pictures of everyone!!!

Just to let you know, my daughter is also a Sam fan. She will turn 6 on March 12. She knows all the characters (what they do and their names) , but has not watched the show yet. I'm waiting until she is a bit older. Every so often she asks me if I am going to save the DVDs for her--I reassure that we will watch them together when she is a little older! She knows Sam Carter the best, as she should!! She knows she is a scientist and a pilot who can kick butt. My daughter is really into superheroes---so Sam fits right in for her. My daughter thinks of herself as purple power supergirl! The other day I heard her say, SAM CARTER ROCKS! I had to smile. Also, for my last birthday she made me a birthday card with a Stargate on it. Do you think she will have issues when she gets older?!!!!! SG-1 is the only show I watch, with a little Atlantis as well.

Well, I finally am going to vote in the season five poll. So many good comments already on these three that I went with:

Ascension just because I liked the relationship with Sam and Orlin. It was a really good scifi story in general---fit into a larger story arc---and I liked how Sam went from mistrust to caring and trusting Orlin. Here she went against orders at the end of the show because she trusted Orlin and did not want him in the hands of our military. It was actually a sad episode, but a good one in regard to Sam and Orlin. Compassionate Sam trumped military Sam here and I think this was appropriate.

2001---who couldn't like heroic Sam at the end. I also liked Joe in this one as well and once again this episode revolved around a major story arc of the Aschen.

48 Hours---here I liked Sam's interaction with McKay---they are both snarky---two geniuses with very different styles. No wonder many fans like their interaction and are hoping that Sam visits Atlantis just to see the sparks fly. I really like McKay now---I even liked him in this one. It was fun to see Sam being challenged like only McKay could challenge her. (Did people notice the Who is Smarter--Sam or Mckay thread!!)? Most important, however, we have a caring brilliant Sam working overtime to get Teal'c back home.

Comment

even on these boards, we know they lurk, but none of them post, because they know if they do, then they'll get creamed
                        I hadn't thought of that... I had thought it would be cool if AT got a chance to read some of the comments posted -- and she could even post a comment or two to say 'Hi'... but I was living in my own 'little rose-tinted bubble'... and I'd forgotten that even when the actors do an online-chat, they always have a moderator - who can weed out the troll posts and only pass the non-troll questions to the actor. There would be no such control here on the thread. So... I'm sad that she will probably not be able to join in on some of the fun here... but I hope that she does get a chance to read some of the wonderful comments and praise posted here for all of her efforts!
                        Last edited by astrogeologist; 02 March 2005, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                          Just to let you know, my daughter is also a Sam fan. She will turn 6 on March 12. She knows all the characters (what they do and their names) , but has not watched the show yet. I'm waiting until she is a bit older. Every so often she asks me if I am going to save the DVDs for her--I reassure that we will watch them together when she is a little older! She knows Sam Carter the best, as she should!! She knows she is a scientist and a pilot who can kick butt. My daughter is really into superheroes---so Sam fits right in for her. My daughter thinks of herself as purple power supergirl!
                          The other day I heard her say,
                          SAM CARTER ROCKS!
                          I had to smile.
                          Also, for my last birthday she made me a birthday card with a Stargate on it.
                          Do you think she will have issues when she gets older?!!!!!
                          She won't have issues - she'll have dreams and aspirations - and hopefully without self-imposed ideas of what she can't do!

And I have downloaded and archived your Season 5 comments - and added them to the great summary list that we have been creating for Season 5.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                            Please post some of those pics!

Edited to add: and you already have! I should have scrolled down to the next post before I posted my request! Great pic too! I am so jealous of you guys! Umm.. not to be greedy or anything... but do you have more?
                            I put some of the pictures on imageshack to share with you guys. They aren't the best ones (repetitive), but AMANDA'S IN THEM!

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/7504/mypictures00114id.jpg

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/6946/mypictures00107kt.jpg

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/505/mypictures00099bx.jpg

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/5583/mypictures00081om.jpg

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/4228/mypictures00070as.jpg

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/662/mypictures00066mq.jpg

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/1323/mypictures00053mu.jpg

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/7058/mypictures00040hk.jpg

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/8684/mypictures00033au.jpg

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/2263/mypictures00023md.jpg

http://img232.exs.cx/img232/531/mypictures00014dt.jpg

I hope this works.

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              I put some of the pictures on imageshack to share with you guys. They aren't the best ones (repetitive), but AMANDA'S IN THEM!
                              Sally
                              That worked *great*. And it looked like everyone was having such fun! She and Don Davis looked like they got on well together. Thanks so much for sharing these with us!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                Sally

Great shot! You all look so happy (did you just get done eating blue jello?!) Is your mom now a fan?!

Love Don's shirt! Thanks for sharing the photo - more, more please!

Thanks.

I'm so happy because I'M MEETING AMANDA! And my mom's been a fan from the beginning, like me. Our tastes are very much the same, so she adores Amanda, lusts for RDA (he's mine, though), and is a Sam/Jack shipper.

Sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X