Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist

... As for whumpage.. the story that MajorSam is currently developing will leave Overtime completely in the dust!
    LOL Yes, our Madam President may surpass you in that category with her upcoming fic....

Although, Madam President, I am relieved to hear that you are incorporating some happy moments in your latest chapter. All pain and no gain is a hard pill to swallow! I promise, though, to not look for the rainbow at the end. We just have to keep Sally away from the story!

Comment

You're not going to kill her, right? I think you said that you weren't going to kill her... hmmm... Happy ending... or at least a hopeful ending..? Beat the characters up as much as you want as long as it comes out ok in the end... Otherwise... we'll have to send AgentDark after you...

Well you just said "as long as she doesn't die in the end it'll be ok!" and I can still say "it'll be ok" in that regareds. I definately have the beat up as much as I want, but it all depends on how you define "Ok" Lol. Maybe slightly exaggerated, there is still hope... but anyways, I don't want to give it away!!! All I will say is no, she does NOT die.

Originally posted by ChopinGal
      LOL Yes, our Madam President may surpass you in that category with her upcoming fic....

Although, Madam President, I am relieved to hear that you are incorporating some happy moments in your latest chapter. All pain and no gain is a hard pill to swallow! I promise, though, to not look for the rainbow at the end. We just have to keep Sally away from the story!
      Yes, well this weekend i've been watching a lot of sappy happy movies, so I decided to get some happy in too. Well, I was going to get happy the whole time... I just wasn't sure how much! Definately have to keep Sally away from this fic... I warn everyone else, it's rated R, with good reason
      Last edited by MajorSam; 27 February 2005, 02:04 PM.
      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Hi all--Again, some great posts in the last few days. Welcome Fred. Insightful post. I did see some negative comments about Teal'c and his fling with his neighbor when that episode aired. I, and several others, thought it was kind of out of character--especially given his relationship with Ishta. I agree with Foreversg1 that some doesn't cry at the drop of the hat. And it's been in private and in appropriate situations.

Comment

No rainbow? What? Not even a faint one? Hmmm... Sally and I will have to talk this over....

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            I agree with Foreversg1 that Sam doesn't cry at the drop of the hat.
            And it's been in private and in appropriate situations.
            I agree Jckfan55! So far, they've only shown Sam crying when it was more than appropriate - and AT has done a spectacular job with those scenes... Singularity, Paradise Lost, Heroes, Meridian/Revelations (Daniel's death), Threads (have only seen screen caps)

Comment

[QUOTE=Skydiver][QUOTE=MajorSam]

... I think I already said this, but they claimed at first they liked her, thought she was funny, but then in Part 2 she became a raging slut who picked up the first guy she saw so she could get laid. I don't know how people get these ideas, but I know a lot of them will never ever like Sam again, and that makes me really sad for them! It's their loss after all to not be able to see the brilliance that is Sam. I just hope season 9 keeps up/brings back some of the brilliance.

...FCOL, put me in an enclosed space with someone as hot as jack and add in the threat of imminent death and i'll snog him too.

people calling sam a slut are just playing the game of 'let's see what we can find to witch about' ... in any case, if they want to waste their time looking for the negative, let them. we're going to be spending ours happily in Samanda
              It's the damned if you do, damned if you don't for Sam right now.

Personally, I can't wait to see the end of Moebius 2 ... I hear that it also spoofs the James Bond movies ... what's not to like?! Unless you have no sense of humor whatsoever ... that's a shame. Lighten up, folks - as RDA would say: it's TV, fantasy, entertainment ... find pleasure in it ... if not, turn off your set!

Comment

IMO, they're going to twist just about everything. The big clincher is what she's off doing for the first 5 eps... people have latched onto the "PERSONAL and proffessional" reasons VERY harhsly. They've already formulated opinions about what's going to happen, and no matter what i'm afraid they'll bash it just the same.

bleh, bugger on them. for all we know she's off taking care of things that happened in threads.
                Spoiler:

it DOES take time to settle an estate and, in reality, i don't think that much show time will go by whie she's gone. joe said in his thread that s9 starts off with a 3 eps arc...which pretty much means that those 3 episodes will probably be one day/week or whatever timewise.
                that leaves 2 more eps to go by.....which probably means that sam will, in the show timeline, be gone for a couple of weeks.

there is also the possibility that she's off destroying the time ship, or dismanteling it or something and is in nevada

frankly, those who criticize her will twist themselves in knots to find something, anything to whine about.

i know my boss calls me Miss Negative but i'm honestly a pollyanna compared to some and if that's how they want to spend thier time...eh, it's thier time. I for one have better things to do..like maybe finish this fic sometime this month....ok, make that next month cause it won't get done tomorrow
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                  i know my boss calls me Miss Negative but i'm honestly a pollyanna compared to some and if that's how they want to spend thier time...eh, it's thier time. I for one have better things to do..like maybe finish this fic sometime this month....ok, make that next month cause it won't get done tomorrow
                  LOL at "Miss Negative" as a pollyanna compared to others ..
                  And.. finishing a fic? Now I am greedily anticipating it's posting next month...

Comment

You're not going to kill her, right? I think you said that you weren't going to kill her... hmmm... Happy ending... or at least a hopeful ending..? Beat the characters up as much as you want as long as it comes out ok in the end... Otherwise... we'll have to send AgentDark after you...

LOL! /me cocks my Berretta...
                    JK, really looking forward to the fic MajorSam. And yours too SkyDiver!
                    So many great posts, no time to respond or I'll be late for Uni! 3 month break is over and now I have to go back

Anyways, keep up the activity in Samanda!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                      LOL! /me cocks my Berretta...
                      JK, really looking forward to the fic MajorSam. And yours too SkyDiver!
                      So many great posts, no time to respond or I'll be late for Uni! 3 month break is over and now I have to go back

Anyways, keep up the activity in Samanda!
                      But you will be checking in with us here at the SaGC, right?

And, I wanted to say 'Wow!' one more time about your sig pics, Agent Dark. I browsed through your collection yesterday and I was very impressed. Great candid snapshots of Sam Carter! Question: where do you get your pics from? I know they are not all from DVDs because there is one of Geek!Sam from Moebius.

Comment

It's the damned if you do, damned if you don't for Sam right now.
                        I was also thinking of those words of Skydiver's from awhile back... and it makes me want to see 'Carter kick the snot out of some bad guy'... (or however it was that ForeverSG-1 worded that...)

Comment

ChopinGal, Skydiver, Coley, AgentDark, NearlyCircular, ForeverSG1, Jckfan55, MajorSam, MajorSal, UberSG1Fan, Fred, TokraHostess, Chocdoc and anyone else who has posted and participated in the the SaGC lately*:

In honor of all of the wonderful discussions held here today and over the past week, Col. Carter herself has offered to each member of the SaGC... either the option of regular blue jello, 'hi octane, sloe-gin blue jello'... or a ride on her Indian. And no, you can't have more than one... the second and third choices, in particular, do not mix well.

Personally, the ride on the Indian wins hands down for me!
                          *(I apologize if I left anyone out... send me a note and I'll edit the list and get you in there).
                          Last edited by astrogeologist; 27 February 2005, 03:20 PM.

Comment

yep. now generally speaking and i'm not trying to classify or pick on anyone, but the anti's seemed to see d&c as a betrayal. since the ship was now canon and real, the excuse of 'the shippers are just projecting' was now moot because to quote the shippers 'we ain't projecting, we're right' became thier motto

the more the anti's got upset, the more the shippers crowed and it became an escalating 'war' over who was right and who was wrong. for each new eps, the anti's would dissect it, looking for proof that d&c was an oddity and not real or applicable anymore while the shippers would dissect each eps for further proof that d&c was just the beginning and each new sign of ship was just more confirmation

that division only grew two years later when MS announced that he was leaving the show. again generally speaking, the anti shippers also tended to be fans of MS and took his departure rather hard. many of the s&j crowd didn't care as much. and both sides weren't shy about speaking thier minds

there are divisions in this fandom that will never be healed, and,among many, Sam has gotten caught in the cross fire

I would just like to thank all of you for discussing this issue, and doing it so intelligently. I have to admit that I have been extremely bothered by the Sam bashing, and for the life of me, I really don't know why! ((I would feel this way about any of the characters including Jonas, but I take it more personally when it is about Sam because I think she is such a good/strong female character). I am truly a very naive newby who had no idea that fans could get mean toward one another about the characters.

I differentiate "Sam bashing" from simply critiquing how the character has been written here and there, yet still liking the character. I think these are two very different things.

I think real Sam bashing consists of:

1) consistently evaluating her actions in a negative to sometimes nasty and vicious way no matter what she does;

2) not liking to strongly hating her character no matter what she does (yes may have liked her in Seasons 1, 2, and 3, and that's it---Let her go back to the way she was).

3) believing that she is not redeemable;--has few redeeming qualities strengths now---just a whiney piney fill in the blank;

4) wanting to see much less of her to not seeing her at all in season 9;

5) Not usually, but every once in awhile, this bashing crosses the line and negative comments are made about AT herself, either what she says in interviews or her physical appearance

Does that sound right?

This is notably distinguishable from fans who range from really liking Sam to thinking she okay, but also believe that the writers have sometimes failed to write her well and consistently. The second form of criticism is not a problem for me.

I think most of the fans who critique her character fall under the second category, and those fans in the first category are a very vocal minority.

Note: I really wish I could adopt Skydiver's attitude to just not read the posts by this minority. When I read this stuff, it is just like I am heading for a terrible train wreck, and I know it, but sometimes I can't help myself! I think it is because I can't believe fans would actually hate a character so much that I love.

All of your posts have helped put this "Sam bashing" in perspective. From Skydiver's description of what when on earlier, others' thoughtfut comments, and Astro's great summary and comments, this minority seems to be a subset of anti-shippers who really see Daniel/Jack as the two lead characters (as a result of the Stargate movie), and they resent the fact that Sam also became a lead character along side them. And I've read that MS left because he felt his character was underused---well you can't blame Jack for this because he is the lead and you can't blame Teal'c for that because he has been too often in the background in earlier seasons---Sam is the obvious choice. Then of course the shipper controversy which is mindboggling on both sides for me.

For me, I watch SG1 because of Sam. I began watching from the beginning of season 1 and did see the movie. I almost didn't watch the series because I did not like the second half of the movie. But I did anyway because I like scifi. Sam drew me in. I like the other characters alot, but I was amazed when I saw this character. I really appreciated that the writers did not relegate her to a background character, even in Season 1, but rather made this strong female as an EQUAL to Jack and Daniel (yes even Daniel). I say bravo to the writers for doing this, and bravo to AT for making Sam a character that many in the audience could relate to and appreciate. When I saw Divide and Conquer, it was just fine to me. Not being a J/S shipper or a J/S anti-shipper, I assumed that they did have some feelings for one another, but that they couldn't do anything about it. It was believable to me that they could have these feelings, but they also know what is most important--their work on the SG1 team.

I haven't said anything new , but I just wanted to let all of you know that I appreciate this conversation. I am very new to forums, as you might be able to tell !!!!!, and I generally only post here. I will try to be wise like Skydiver and just ignore the Sam bashers---sadly, I still head for the train wreck too often (but not as much as I have in the past). Thank goodness for this thriving thread, and actually for most of the threads in GW, and some other tamer forums as well.

I have been reading fanfic for awhile now, and before I joined GW, I had already read much of Skydiver's work, some of Astro's work, and Chopingal's Head Trip thus far, and I'm missing someone. All great fanfic---imagine my pleasant surprise when I learned that some of the fanfic I have adored for awhile now is written by people on this thread.

I feel like just others said---I wish Skydiver could write the Sam/Teal'c story in season 9---it would be a hit!

Comment

Absolutely spectacular post, chocdoc!
                              Intelligent, considerate and thoughtful!
                              Originally posted by chocdoc
                              For me, I watch SG1 because of Sam. I began watching from the beginning of season 1 and did see the movie. I almost didn't watch the series because I did not like the second half of the movie.
                              I felt similarly - the movie didn't spark any scifi interest with me.

Originally posted by chocdoc
                              I almost didn't watch the series because I did not like the second half of the movie. But I did anyway because I like scifi. Sam drew me in. I like the other characters alot, but I was amazed when I saw this character. I really appreciated that the writers did not relegate her to a background character, even in Season 1, but rather made this strong female as an EQUAL to Jack and Daniel (yes even Daniel). I say bravo to the writers for doing this, and bravo to AT for making Sam a character that many in the audience could relate to and appreciate.
                              Very well stated, chocdoc! You've put into words exactly what pulled me in!
                              And, I added you to the list in my post above!

Comment

yep. now generally speaking and i'm not trying to classify or pick on anyone, but the anti's seemed to see d&c as a betrayal. since the ship was now canon and real, the excuse of 'the shippers are just projecting' was now moot because to quote the shippers 'we ain't projecting, we're right' became thier motto

the more the anti's got upset, the more the shippers crowed and it became an escalating 'war' over who was right and who was wrong. for each new eps, the anti's would dissect it, looking for proof that d&c was an oddity and not real or applicable anymore while the shippers would dissect each eps for further proof that d&c was just the beginning and each new sign of ship was just more confirmation

that division only grew two years later when MS announced that he was leaving the show. again generally speaking, the anti shippers also tended to be fans of MS and took his departure rather hard. many of the s&j crowd didn't care as much. and both sides weren't shy about speaking thier minds

there are divisions in this fandom that will never be healed, and,among many, Sam has gotten caught in the cross fire
                                Unfortunately there is a really big double standard for what is good for the male characters of Stargate(television) and what is good for the females. I started thinking about it more after I listened to MS at the Dallas convention Con today. A fan asked him if 'Daniel was ever going to get a woman'. MS's response was Daniel has had many women as well as been had by many women. He then went on to say that he hoped a relationship for Daniel was not in the works and that he didn't want one.

In the first couple of years, Daniel's character was used as a sperm donor for Hathor and Jack's character was pretty much drugged, married and sexually involved with someone he had known for only minutes.

In eight years time, Sam has been with one man and one man only.

If Sam's character had been sexually violated as the men had been, they're would have been an uproar. If she had been with as many men as Daniel has women, she would have been called a slut. For the past year she's been attacked because she made the decision to either follow her heart and betray her duty to be with Jack...or follow her head and betray a man with whom she doesn't solely love. It just seems to me that the writers have put Sam into a position where nothing she does will be good enough on a personal level.

For a man in the case of Daniel, it doesn't matter if he doesn't have a full-time relationship, because he can be involved in sexual and/or preverse relationships like that with Vala and at the end of the day, he's a stud for getting the hot chick.

Maybe I'm a bit off base here, it's just something that I've been mulling over the past few hours.

ForeverSG1
                                Last edited by ForeverSg1; 27 February 2005, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X