Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majorsal

... and i'd like to say this thread has exceeded my wildest desires.

sally
    What I find amazing about this thread is the quality of the writing and the loyalty of the fans to a fine actor who has given us all eight seasons of an intriguing, exciting, and fun-to-watch character ....

What makes Sam tick? We have just written almost 100 pages of response to that! Our responses have been honest and direct, revealing, and so, so intelligently presented. Honestly, if I had to grade some of these posts, they would be getting straight "A"s for content and grammar and critical thought!

We have also managed to maintain a civil tone throughout, respecting each other's views and comments. Sometimes we have crossed over into sensitive territory (see former posts on the 500-lb. Gorilla). But each time we raise a controversial topic, we still remain polite and actually learn a thing or two from allowing our fellow fans to vent some pretty strong feelings. These differences of opinion have led to some awesome in-depth discussions. They may have even challenged us to rethink our own positions.

We've talked about Sam's evolution. But haven't we also grown from these interactions and our mutual support of the character and each other? I think so ....

What a fascinating and diverse group of people! I am so grateful for the opportunity to get to know many of you here. My world has widened just by your sharing bits of yourselves and, in a way, your unique geography too: Canada, England, Scotland, Australia, USA! If Amanda ever happens to read this thread, thank you for bringing us all together!

We may not be as big and popular as some of the other threads on this Forum, but, baby, we've got wit and heart!
    Last edited by ChopinGal; 26 February 2005, 08:03 AM.

Comment

... i have a photobucket album?

sally
      And I'm about to open a bucket or whatever one does at www.photobucket.com - thanks to the direction of MajorSam and AstroG. How we fill our buckets and who can play in our sandbox is obviously set by us once we have registered there. According to AstroG, something's in your bucket already! Since I don't even have a bucket yet - I'm jealous!!

Of course, many of our fellow Samandans seem to have their own buckets filled to the brim with terrific Sam/AT images and screencaps which they share with us.

Maybe you and I, Sally, should buy "Bucket Building for Dummies". (Translation: how to operate your PC at optimum performance level.)

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
        I apoligise in advance to those posters who think this is just too daffy down dilly - It's just a bit of a rum and coke!! I'm afraid after 5 days being the serious Accountant - I've just got to let go!!

Right to me old Royal double yolker, firstly many thanks for spreading the wooden pews regarding our Inaugural Gala tomorrow night. Secondly I must say the me and you sounded delicious. Pray tell me who is the rubber duck for the night? The Lillian Gish sounds very tasty - is there a rocking horse to go with that? Have you thought about adding a Ruby Murray? Bang goes the Brixton riot eh!!

On the practical front have you checked we can lay our hands on enough Owen Nares for the night? Also we will need a saucepan handle on each Cain and Able. You mentioned about the parking. I must add that there will be plenty of sherbet and dabs available for the journey home. The entertainment sounds fantastic. Is this Murray chap a good mangle and wringer then? I hope our Agent Dark will be paying attention just in case the girls go Patrick Swayze for him! I'm also looking forward to hearing a few stewed prunes from you. I assume there will be a kick and prance afterwards. I'm just a Lilley and Skinner, and I'm not too good on my pins and pegs really.

Have you hired a pillar and post for the night and are there going to be any bubble and squeakers?

I must say I'm ready for a good ole Russell Harty. But don't you worry I won't be getting Oliver Twist. Me old cheerful giver is giving me a bit of Barney Rubble, so no alcoholic Edna Everidge's for me!

I note that formal is required, so I've gone and dug out my best almond rock and I've bought a nice new pair of ones and two's. I'm wearing them in at the moment and I can tell you they're giving me some Omar Sharif. Think I may even put on my Mae West Tom foolery. I've booked in to have my Bonny and Fair done tomorrow. I must also remember to go to the Sherman tank to get some Crosby, Stills and Nash. Any chance I could coat and badge a lift off you?

Do we yet know if our Jimmy O'Goblin will be gracing us with her Royal presence? I accept that it is probably too close to the birth of her basin of gravy, but it would be tops if she could come.

I've heard it may rain tomorrow, so anyone thinking of walking don't forget your Quaker oats and Auntie Ella's. More importantly don't forget you bat and wicket, or you'll end up paying again on the Henry Moore.

Right, must dash, me heap of coke is shouting me!! See you tomorrow, it will be a ding dong bell of a do!!!!
        My Dearest (and daffiest) Royal Accountant

In order to respond fully to your letter regarding this Saturday night's event, I must: transcribe it carefully; digest the definitions which you so graciously supplied; and, finally, procure my own bottle of sloe gin to offer some stimulation as I labour through the reply.

This may take several hours and could have a detrimental effect upon my allotted time for music practice for the Gala. Nonetheless, I may have to take that risk because the urgency of your well-posed questions demands a prompt response.

Neither of us should arrive for this important social occasion unprepared. I, like you, feel that tonight's celebration shall set the Samandan standard for years to come. We must do all that we can to make it a truly memorable event, fit for a Queen! Some rather light humour there, I say.

Cheerio then ... I'm off to re-read your post, and will return shortly with my answer.

Your Sober (for now) Colleague,

Jester
        Last edited by ChopinGal; 26 February 2005, 11:17 AM.

Comment

k, samandans, i'm back!
          *hears murmurs of i didn't know she went anywhere*
          after moebius 2 aired, i had a LOT of posts to read on two forums (and the s/j list), so it took me this long to return to my loving samandan family.
          did you guys miss me?!?
          *waits for answer.... and waits......... still's waiting....... *
          sally, who's got a lot of catching up to do
          You were definitely missed!
          Glad that you are back with us!
          i have a photobucket album? csally
          Ooops, sorry, that was MajorSam...
          Last edited by astrogeologist; 26 February 2005, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
            You were definitely missed!
            Glad that you are back with us!Ooop, sorry, that was MajorSam...
            LOL ... poor Sally! She's probably frantically trying to remember when she actually did register and open her bucket!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              What I find amazing about this thread is the quality of the writing and the loyalty of the fans to a fine actor who has given us all eight seasons of an intriguing, exciting, and fun-to-watch character ....What makes Sam tick? We have just written almost 100 pages of response to that! Our responses have been honest and direct, revealing, and so, so intelligently presented. Honestly, if I had to grade some of these posts, they would be getting straight "A"s for content and grammar and critical thought!

We have also managed to maintain a civil tone throughout, respecting each other's views and comments. Sometimes we have crossed over into sensitive territory (see former posts on the 500-lb. Gorilla). But each time we raise a controversial topic, we still remain polite and actually learn a thing or two from allowing our fellow fans to vent some pretty strong feelings. These differences of opinion have led to some awesome in-depth discussions. They may have even challenged us to rethink our own positions.

We've talked about Sam's evolution. But haven't we also grown from these interactions and our mutual support of the character and each other? I think so ....

What a fascinating and diverse group of people! I am so grateful for the opportunity to get to know many of you here. My world has widened just by your sharing bits of yourselves and, in a way, your unique geography too: Canada, England, Scotland, Australia, USA! If Amanda ever happens to read this thread, thank you for bringing us all together!
              ChopinGal - beautifully stated! Thanks for posting these wonderful comments.
              We may not be as big and popular as some of the other threads on this Forum, but, baby, we've got wit and heart!
              As I've watched the first page of the General Discussion forum over the past few months, most threads sputter out fairly quickly... only a few thrive and persist. This thread is one of the very few threads that has persisted... I'd say we're in the top 1% or so for both size and popularity - there are only a small handful of threads which have grown larger or lasted longer (compared to the total number of threads started in the General Discussion forum).

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                i've been to gatecon 4 times and loved it. in fact, i'd be going this year if it wasn't for the timing (they literally picked the only week of july that i can't take off)

i konw that amanda won't be doing any cons until after the baby is born (and possibly beyond that too since they can be exhausting)

the one in dallas, it's a creation con and i've never been to one of thier events so i really can't comment on it...but i know that, for me, it's gatecon or nothing.

I'm hoping to go to the gabit con in the uk this fall or next spring (depending on when amanda schedules it) but that's the only con for me in the foreseeable future. I've found that the creation cons are
                a) too far away
                b) way too expensive

however, if you get a chance, it can be a fun experience. i prefer gatecon because it's not as formal as professional cons. you can get to see the actors and often get to know the person who's behind the character

to me, that's most the fun. i don't care to sit in the audience and watch them perform (and yes, what they do on the stage is a performance in a way...you're seeing the front they put on for the public, not the person they really are)....i like to go to a con where the actors can pop into a room and you can chat with them, in a very intimate (no, not THAT way ) way
                Sky, this was a great and informative reply to ForeverSG1 but to all of us who have not yet attended a scifi con.

I, too, have heard from other fans that the Creation cons are very expensive and not worth the outlay. Everyone, on the other hand, seems to rave about the Gate cons. You must have had fun ... what are some of your memories of AT? Did you get to speak to her personally or just watch her "perform" at the general presentations?

I really hope that AT does find a way to reschedule the GABIT - and I'm actually hoping that she schedules for early Spring 06 rather than this Fall (as I am committing to another trip to the land of my ancestors, Poland). I still have my GABIT ticket though and will hold on to it as long as I can! One of the best things about GABIT will be that it will be only for Amanda, and not a general event. The directors are planning a lot of nice "semi-intimate" moments for a much smaller group of fans too. And you'll be able to bid or enter a lottery on taking "tea with Amanda" during the weekend, plus other fun stuff. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that it does come off. I think this will be the first time that Amanda has ever had a special event like this in her honor. A bit like our Gala event in Samanda tonight!

Hope to see some of you at GABIT ... whenever!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

... As I've watched the first page of the General Discussion forum over the past few months, most threads sputter out fairly quickly... only a few thrive and persist. This thread is one of the very few threads that has persisted... I'd say we're in the top 1% or so for both size and popularity - there are only a small handful of threads which have grown larger or lasted longer (compared to the total number of threads started in the General Discussion forum).
                  Spoken as a true archivist, Keeper of the Flame.

I have not been keeping track of these kinds of things, but it sounds like we have quietly and unassumedly and persistently created our own niche. And we're not so small and hidden as I had thought! Thanks for the data!

Madam President, I hereby nominate our Keeper of the Flame, Astrogeologist, for the Speckled Bean.
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 26 February 2005, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
                    But what if they focused on Daniel or Teal'c and their personal relationships? We would see conflict in their relationships (because that's what good storytelling contains) and then we would have people complaining because Daniel is conflicted and weak or Teal'c is unwilling to commit... (for the record, I would like to know more about Teal'c, Daniel and Jack and their extended families. Does Jack have any brothers or sisters? We know Daniel's parents are dead but does he have an aunt or uncle still living? These are things I'd like to know...
                    I'm with you on that! I'd love to see some storylines on Jack's family (other than Charlie and Sara) - or Daniel's, or Teal'c's... I'd also like to see the guys go through some personal emotional struggles...And to be fair (and to balance a couple of Season 7&8 episodes), the episodes should put Sam in the major scifi plotline while the guys are off dealing with their lives...

On side note - in your sig pic, what episode is the second pic from the left from? Been trying to place it, but I'm coming up blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      what are the boys' emotional weaknesses?

for jack, it's kids
                      daniel, the damsel in distress
                      teal'c...umm, well his ego

it would be nice to explore some aspect of those, although we already have in some way. jack and charlie in Show and Tell, Daniel and Shyla in Need, Sarah in Summit/Last Stand
                      Teal'c....well there's the whole jaffa revenge thing

maybe one weakness for jack and Teal'c is something they just mentioned in passing in moeb 2
                      Spoiler:

daniel said that jack and teal'c died in the rebellion because they couldn't stand to NOT do something. now the angst slut in me just loves the thought of sam telling them no, them doing it anyway and all 3 of them dying....but i digress

i think some massive emotional angst could come from the boys if they're put into that situation. they HAVE to watch something happen. they CAN'T respond or 'fix it'

that would be huge honkin heaping helpings of angst and emotional issues for the boys
                      These are great ideas Skydiver! Would love to see these ideas developed in episodes.

Comment

The Season 4 comments were fantastic!
                        I thought it was wonderful that there were so many episodes that folks thought were strong Carter episodes - so many of the episodes received strong vote counts - and there were great comments about 'Sam moments' in almost every Season 4 episode.

Now that the Season 5 poll is up,
                        what are your comments about the best Carter moments in Season 5?

Here are some very short Season 5 GW summaries
                        (for those who are like me and need some help remembering what story went with which title )
                        ENEMIES
                        SG-1 finds themselves stranded in a crippled ship in a distant galaxy -- with Apophis threatening to destroy them. Teal'c is brainwashed and made loyal to Apophis once again. (Part 2 of 2)

THRESHOLD His mind altered by Apophis, Teal'c must undergo a ritual that takes him to the edge of death itself, in order for him to rediscover who he is.

ASCENSION An alien being is smitten with Carter and follows her back to Earth, assuming human form and pursuing a relationship with her.

THE FIFTH MAN O'Neill and Lieutenant Tyler are ambushed by Goa'uld forces and trapped behind enemy lines -- while the rest of their team discover they don't know who Tyler is.

RED SKY SG-1 discovers that their trip through the Stargate may have inadvertently doomed an entire civilization, and plead with the Asgard for assistance.

RITE OF PASSAGE Cassandra mysteriously falls ill, sending SG-1 back to her home planet -- where they uncover a dark Goa'uld secret.

BEAST OF BURDEN SG-1 discovers a civilization that uses Unas as slave labor, and attempt to liberate Daniel's friend, Chaka.

THE TOMB SG-1 teams with a Russian unit when one of their Stargate teams goes missing in a mysterious alien ziggurat.

BETWEEN TWO FIRES The Tollan offer Earth advanced weapons technology, prompting a secret investigation on Tollana -- one that leads to a startling discovery.

2001 SG-1 encounters a potential new, technologically advanced ally in the war against the Goa'uld -- though they do not know the Aschen's dark secret.

DESPERATE MEASURES Major Carter is kidnapped by a terminally ill man who intends to use a Goa'uld symbiote to save his life. O'Neill is forced to team up with an old foe to find her.

WORMHOLE X-TREME! An alien ship approaches Earth, sending SG-1 to an old friend for some answers -- where they discover that Martin Lloyd has created a TV show about the Stargate program.

PROVING GROUND While training cadets at a secret facility, O'Neill learns of a possible alien incursion at the SGC -- and must take a group of raw cadets into a real battle situation.

48 HOURS Disaster strikes the Stargate, trapping Teal'c in transit. SG-1 must turn to Russia -- and to their enemies -- for help.

SUMMIT The Tok'ra war with the Goa'uld escalates, and the rebel faction sends Daniel Jackson to a secret meeting between the System Lords. The Goa'uld invade the Tok'ra homeworld. (Part 1 of 2)

LAST STAND Dr. Jackson's undercover mission to a Goa'uld summit is complicated by the arrival of a surprise guest. The rest of the team face a full-scale invasion of the Tok'ra homeworld. (Part 2 of 2)

FAIL SAFE Earth finds itself threatened by something even larger than the Gou'ald when the team learns that an asteroid is on a collision course with the planet.

THE WARRIOR A charismatic Jaffa leader seeks to forge an alliance between Earth and his rebel followers, winning the allegiance of Teal'c and Bra'tac.

MENACE SG-1 encounters a young woman with the ability to control Replicators, and who may hold the key to the salvation of the Asgard.

THE SENTINEL SG-1 must turn to a pair of convicted criminals to save a world from annihilation by the Goa'uld.

MERIDIAN Daniel Jackson is exposed to a lethal dose of radiation while visiting an alien civilization that is building a weapon of mass destruction.

REVELATIONS SG-1 must come to the rescue of their once-powerful allies when the Goa'uld attack a secret Asgard laboratory.
                        Note: If the small font bugs anyone, please speak up and I will use a larger font next time.
                        Last edited by astrogeologist; 26 February 2005, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                          daffy down dilly = silly
                          rum and coke = joke
                          double yolker = joker
                          wooden pews = news
                          me and you = menu
                          rubber duck = cook
                          Lillian Gish = fish
                          rocking horse = sauce
                          Ruby Murray = curry
                          Brixton riot = diet
                          Owen Nares = chairs
                          saucepan handle = candle
                          Cain and Able = table
                          sherbet and dabs = cabs
                          mangle and wringer = singer
                          Patrick Swayze = crazy
                          stewed prunes = tunes
                          kick and prance = dance
                          Lilley and Skinner = beginner
                          pins and pegs = legs
                          pillar and post = host
                          bubble and squeakers = speakers
                          Russell Harty = party
                          Oliver Twist = p****d
                          cheerful giver = liver
                          Barney Rubble = trouble
                          Edna Everidge = beverage
                          almond rock - frock
                          ones and two's - shoes
                          Omar Sharif = grief
                          Mae West = best
                          Tom Foolery = jewellery
                          bonny and fair = hair
                          Sherman tank = bank
                          Crosby, Stills and Nash = cash
                          coat and badge = cadge
                          Jimmy O'Goblin = sovereign
                          basin of gravy = baby
                          Quaker oats = coats
                          Auntie Ellas = umbrellas
                          bat and wicket = ticket
                          Henry Moore = door
                          heap of coke = bloke
                          ding dong bell = Hell
                          Madam President , I hereby nominate Coley (Royal Accountant/Editor) for the Green Bean for Excellence in the Category of Linguistics.
                          Last edited by ChopinGal; 26 February 2005, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Madam President , I hereby nominate Coley (Royal Accountant/Editor) for the Green Bean for Excellence in the Category of Linguistics.
                            Seconded!

Comment

sloe gin laced blue jello going down a treat. Thanks astro'

Comment

ChopinGal Lovely post re at acting v's Sam's development. Some great observations

Comment

Working...
                                X