Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    I like that we got to see her personal life, ther are just times when i wish it wasn't the sole focus of an episode. IMHO, for all her fear of being seen as 'jack's girl' the stuff with pete did exactly the same thing....just with a different twist
    That's exactly right... because now she's Jack's girl wasting her time on a rebound relationship...

It's like because we see her personal side - her emotions as expressed or unexpressed in her personal relationships - that somehow makes her weak or wishywashy.

But what if they focused on Daniel or Teal'c and their personal relationships? We would see conflict in their relationships (because that's what good storytelling contains) and then we would have people complaining because Daniel is conflicted and weak or Teal'c is unwilling to commit... (for the record, I would like to know more about Teal'c, Daniel and Jack and their extended families. Does Jack have any brothers or sisters? We know Daniel's parents are dead but does he have an aunt or uncle still living? These are things I'd like to know...)

But Sam is somehow different. We've met her family, her father, her brother. We know how her mother died. We know about her strengths and her shortcomings. We know she is a strong woman who - it appears - cannot show her emotions or failings without somehow being perceived by some as a weak character...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
      I second that request... I think a Teal'c/Sam storyline is definitely something that is a long time in the waiting. Since Daniel ascended and Janet's death, I have really seen a much closer bond between Teal'c and Sam's. As if he had quietly become her new confidant, a guardian of sorts. It would be nice to see their relationship become even stronger where Teal'c had to rely on Sam's strengths. I don't think Teal'c has ever taken Sam's contributions to SG1 for granted. There is a mutual respect between them as warriors and having Teal'c rely on Sam to survive would only deepen that bond.
      I'll third the request. Skydiver, you should post that on the ASK JOE thread and see what he thinks...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        I'll third the request. Skydiver, you should post that on the ASK JOE thread and see what he thinks...

asked
        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...908#post350908

although i'm bettting that, if he responds, it'll be along the line of 'we never set out to write a specific pairing, we just write what works best for the story' as a response
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

This is a bit off-topic but I was wondering if any of you have ever gone to a Stargate convention. They are having one here in Dallas this weekend and I've been debating if I want to go. I think Don S. Davis, Teryl Rothery, Christopher Judge and Michael Shanks. Sadly, though no Amanda.

Comment

i've been to gatecon 4 times and loved it. in fact, i'd be going this year if it wasn't for the timing (they literally picked the only week of july that i can't take off)

i konw that amanda won't be doing any cons until after the baby is born (and possibly beyond that too since they can be exhausting)

the one in dallas, it's a creation con and i've never been to one of thier events so i really can't comment on it...but i know that, for me, it's gatecon or nothing.

I'm hoping to go to the gabit con in the uk this fall or next spring (depending on when amanda schedules it) but that's the only con for me in the foreseeable future. I've found that the creation cons are
            a) too far away
            b) way too expensive

however, if you get a chance, it can be a fun experience. i prefer gatecon because it's not as formal as professional cons. you can get to see the actors and often get to know the person who's behind the character

to me, that's most the fun. i don't care to sit in the audience and watch them perform (and yes, what they do on the stage is a performance in a way...you're seeing the front they put on for the public, not the person they really are)....i like to go to a con where the actors can pop into a room and you can chat with them, in a very intimate (no, not THAT way ) way
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but, I have several pages of posts to scroll through and I just know that if I don't speak now, I'll get distracted by all the great comments.

Originally posted by astrogeologist
              Jack's pursuit of a personal life, or his feelings for Sam, have not been written or shown in the same fashion that we have seen Sam's personal life or her feelings for Jack. I think that this imbalance is the source of many folks' consternation and frustration. It's difficult to understand what isn't said or shown.

With all of the screen caps that I have been working with lately, I have watched snips from lots of the first four seasons... and one thing stood out for me... Jack O'Neill seemed more open and more easy-going in those first few seasons... His smile seemed easier... He called her Sam - and it was no big deal...

Hmmm... just gets me thinking...
              Yes. About that. I actually LOVE the way the writers have written the Sam and Jack dilemma. These are the realest people in any make believe world I've ever taken an interest in. Even realer than the B5 couples, and, believe me, that's saying a LOT!

Romantically speaking RDA and At have always acted like they don't have a script.

And I'm not even a shipper!

Jack was the guy who lost the son. He's the one who was so ...injured... by that event, by his guilt and remorse, that he couldn't relate to - couldn't even speak to the woman he adored - Sara (Cold Lazarus. Also, we see that he still loves Sara in Brief Candle and Solitudes.).

I think that he had an easier time calling Sam, Sam, at that time while he was still in love with his ex wife. Then, when he starts to realize what Sam means to him, Jack tries to distance himself, calling her Carter, something of a shift from the early seasons. The chemistry between them becomes something Jack wants to - tries to - deny.

While many people have said that there's no chemistry between Sam and Jack, I saw a Jack desperately trying not to have a chemistry with his 2IC.

This Jack, who simply doesn't wear his feelings on his sleeve, so to speak, is also the one who brazenly tells Baal that he doesn't "know the meaning of the word, impudence - no, seriously; impudence, what does that mean?"(Abyss, where so much of Jack's character comes into precise focus), So I don't find it surprising that he hides his feelings for his 2IC.

Sam, OTOH, saw through that at some point. In Upgrades, perhaps? Or earlier? I'm not sure. Upgrades may have been the defining moment for them both; a moment made possible by the afterglow from the armbands. (Or Into the Fire? YMMV.)

But Sam's a responsible girl, a reasonable girl. What's she gonna do, jeopardize her world, her career? It's just not proper, and Sam was brought up to be proper.

I think both characters carried this UST thing pretty beliveably - awkwardly, unromantically, maybe a little too true to real life for some people's comfort.

It was refreshing - artists, imitating reality in order to validate real life.

And, just in case you'd thought I'd stayed from the topic this is what makes Sam such an attractive character, for me. She's so real!
              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

k, samandans, i'm back!

*hears murmurs of i didn't know she went anywhere*

after moebius 2 aired, i had a LOT of posts to read on two forums (and the s/j list), so it took me this long to return to my loving samandan family.

did you guys miss me?!?

*waits for answer.... and waits......... still's waiting....... *

sally, who's got a lot of catching up to do
                sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  Be careful, AD ... this author seems to leave everyone hanging at the end of one very long (but good) story. If you don't mind eternal suspense ... then go for it!

Sally - I did enjoy the story, but was disappointed at the "conclusion".
                  i've forgotten; are we talking about the fic 'shade', by gene este? if so, i agree about that ending.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

And... MajorSal, I tried to view your Photobucket album, but I don't think you've got it set for public access? Or am I just not doing something right?

i have a photobucket album?

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                      Whereas I would LOOOVE that, it kind of implies (to me) that there would be an episode, or an arc in an episode, based around S/J. As much as I dream for that, I doubt it will happen. For me, I just hope for a nice sweet scene between them. Simply offbase, being normal people. Maybe seeing Sam at home, like a normal person, and Jack knocks at the door. She opens it, smiles, they kiss. I would like it as a Sam fan, because it shows that she's recieved happyness after many hard years, and can still lead a normal life. Good for shippers because..well, we have yet to get ONE real kiss.

If we want to see Sam still as a strong admirable heroic, then show them having dinner or something, she gets a ring on the cell phone, has to leave. So she gives him a quick kiss and does so. Again, for the shippers, it would be good, for Sam fans, it shows she's not letting this personal relationship get in the way, and is still a fully functioning vital part of the SGC, not having sacrificed anything about her career for Jack, but still being able to be with him. (finally)

What do you guys think?

what do i think... i'm a HUGE sam/jack shipper, i'd LOVE that!

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                        hrh, Great post. completely agree with everything you said about Pete and laos completey agree about how the boyfriend should have been Barrett!! Yes, the romance would have been dead center in the SG-1 universe!!
                        i didn't feel any chemistry between her and barrett. i think because amanda's *so* gorgeous, she needs an equally gorgeous man to be at her side (and make him taller than her too). i think it's just personal taste.

sally

ps - i seemed to have lost the ability to make capital letters... laziness is fun.
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam

THE PURPLE BEAN

... the purple bean scared me... it's soooo big!

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

that very Sam-bashing is the reason that MajorSal started this thread (if I remember the opening post well enough).

*nods* Yup.

and i'd like to say this thread has exceeded my wildest desires.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              k, samandans, i'm back!

*hears murmurs of i didn't know she went anywhere*

after moebius 2 aired, i had a LOT of posts to read on two forums (and the s/j list), so it took me this long to return to my loving samandan family.

did you guys miss me?!?

*waits for answer.... and waits......... still's waiting....... *

sally, who's got a lot of catching up to do
                              My Dearest Madam Vice-President

It is with a joyful and relieved heart that I read your writings this morning. I am certain that I speak for all good citizens of Samanda when I tell you that we had missed your presence at the royal court. Madam President has graciously kept the kingdom running and the bean count has grown since you last were here. Indeed, as you have noticed, the size of the beans has grown also. And new, exotic colours have been added to the mix.

However, allow me to speak to the matter at hand. You have not yet purchased your ticket to the Gala Event to be held this Saturday evening in the town hall. It will be a jovial celebration with music and fine food and much merrymaking. All in honour of our fair Queen. Please contact the Royal Accountant immediately for your ticket, as there are not many left. Do not delay! It would be embarrassing for the vice-president to have to pay the extra bean surcharge at the Gate.

I have left the first edition of the Oh Yea What Say Times at your royal residence so that you can bring yourself up to date with the kingdom's events. If you see Madam President strolling in the gardens, be sure to notice her new boots and compliment her on her fine sense of fashion.

One last note: formal attire and the colour orange are preferred for this evening's event.

We so look forward to seeing you once again.

Cordially,

Court Jester
                              Last edited by ChopinGal; 26 February 2005, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                                Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but, I have several pages of posts to scroll through and I just know that if I don't speak now, I'll get distracted by all the great comments.

Yes. About that. I actually LOVE the way the writers have written the Sam and Jack dilemma. These are the realest people in any make believe world I've ever taken an interest in. Even realer than the B5 couples, and, believe me, that's saying a LOT!

Romantically speaking RDA and At have always acted like they don't have a script.

And I'm not even a shipper!

Jack was the guy who lost the son. He's the one who was so ...injured... by that event, by his guilt and remorse, that he couldn't relate to - couldn't even speak to the woman he adored - Sara (Cold Lazarus. Also, we see that he still loves Sara in Brief Candle and Solitudes.).

I think that he had an easier time calling Sam, Sam, at that time while he was still in love with his ex wife. Then, when he starts to realize what Sam means to him, Jack tries to distance himself, calling her Carter, something of a shift from the early seasons. The chemistry between them becomes something Jack wants to - tries to - deny.

While many people have said that there's no chemistry between Sam and Jack, I saw a Jack desperately trying not to have a chemistry with his 2IC.

This Jack, who simply doesn't wear his feelings on his sleeve, so to speak, is also the one who brazenly tells Baal that he doesn't "know the meaning of the word, impudence - no, seriously; impudence, what does that mean?"(Abyss, where so much of Jack's character comes into precise focus), So I don't find it surprising that he hides his feelings for his 2IC.

Sam, OTOH, saw through that at some point. In Upgrades, perhaps? Or earlier? I'm not sure. Upgrades may have been the defining moment for them both; a moment made possible by the afterglow from the armbands. (Or Into the Fire? YMMV.)

But Sam's a responsible girl, a reasonable girl. What's she gonna do, jeopardize her world, her career? It's just not proper, and Sam was brought up to be proper.

I think both characters carried this UST thing pretty beliveably - awkwardly, unromantically, maybe a little too true to real life for some people's comfort.

It was refreshing - artists, imitating reality in order to validate real life.

And, just in case you'd thought I'd stayed from the topic this is what makes Sam such an attractive character, for me. She's so real!
                                Terrific post! A great in-depth look at what makes Sam (and Jack) tick.

Perception is our lens to reality ... and your perceptions of the way both actors played their roles as real people, flawed people are very on-the-mark.

Credit to AT and RDA for digging deep and getting so into the skin of Sam and Jack that we were hooked! In fact, as you note, the realism was a little too uncomfortable at times because it could resonate with our own lives. And that's what great acting should do ....

I agree with you that these two very human and, at times, exasperating characters are among the most believable and real on TV today. I don't actually watch any other show on a regular basis, but I must have my Sam fix every week - she's in a class by itself!

Comment

Working...
                                X