No announcement yet.

Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss I day or so & there's so much to catch up on & the *need* to respond...
    Two more points on what's been said:
    The commentary for Red Sky & the fruit in the wrong basket scene. I just cracked up when AT said she realized as she was playing the scene that she had put the 2 kinds in the wrong baskets and thought "oh, no--they'll think Carter is rude" and fixed it.

on Sam "whumpage" & male writers--besides the good points about veering into dangerous ground with certain kinds of scenes, men may not think women can take pain. Good childbirth comments. May I just add, who holds down the fort in the family while sick?--the mom. Men tend to fall apart. I think women are a lot tougher than they're given credit for & our Sam certainly is. Look at Death Knell. Wounded & hunted and still in there toughing it out and thinking. This is one reason why I think a Teal'c -Sam "behind the lines" episode would work so well.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
      Memo to the Royal Accountant:

As Wise Elder, I would humbly request a bonus bowl of beans be awarded to our beloved Royal Jester for her messages to Samanda this day(and on all days). Said messages have most certainly demonstrated excellence in her calling: instiller of all things happy and optimistic.

Another batch of beans to your most sober self as well, for your own cheerful messages which have surely placed smiles on all the faces in Samanda.

NC
      Dear Wise Elder

I humbly accept the honours bestowed by Madam President and you, but does this mean I'm full of beans?!

Court Jester
      Last edited by ChopinGal; 19 February 2005, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55

I miss I day or so & there's so much to catch up on & the *need* to respond...

on Sam "whumpage" & male writers--besides the good points about veering into dangerous ground with certain kinds of scenes, men may not think women can take pain. Good childbirth comments. May I just add, who holds down the fort in the family while sick?--the mom. Men tend to fall apart. I think women are a lot tougher than they're given credit for & our Sam certainly is. Look at Death Knell. Wounded & hunted and still in there toughing it out and thinking. This is one reason why I think a Teal'c -Sam "behind the lines" episode would work so well.
        LOL So many replies, so little time!

Yes, and remember in Death Knell, she was toughing it out on an ant hill!! Tell me that's not tough!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam

Dear Court Jester, I am pleased at your concern for our great land. You are upholding the good purity of Samanda with honour and precision. I commend you!

... I do not believe any of my subjects would ever become... irresponsible, especially not during their work time. For we must all remember that we are, above all, in service to our Queen Samanda, and any who bring shame to themselves, bring shame to the Queen herself, and that is the most ghastly crime any could commit!!!!!

I believe these things ... when used in moderation can perhaps … improve certain aspects of life, bring diversity to certain events. To rid our land of any...misconceptions, I put forth a Royal Census. All those in favour of acquiring a budget [line for] more "adult entertainment" hold up one bean!

Madam President

I'll drink to that ... oops, I mean consider my bean held up!

Certainly, we all want to do what we can to support the kingdom.

Your loyal servant,

Jester
          Last edited by ChopinGal; 19 February 2005, 01:16 PM.

Comment

... I am indeed apologetic if I have offended any of my people by the various comments I have made regarding certain… sexual, subjects. However I must reinstate that I am most probably the youngest of us here, and if ye elder than I cannot stand the mention of such things… It is indeed worrisome!

Madam President

You need not worry. May I assure you that the elders among us (cough, cough) can indeed entertain the thoughts of certain sexual subjects which add a flush to the cheek and a spring to the step!

And we applaud your youth and lusty nature which add a vitality to the kingdom.

Be assured that we elders are not so removed from these desires ourselves. As one of our wisest matriarchs once said:

"It's not the men in my life, but the life in my men." Mae West

Wistfully,

Court Jester

Comment

Dear Court Jester

... I’m indeed thinking of some fabulous new ones as I speak (type) that I’m sure will please the Queen and all the subjects of the land greatly.

Overall I am indeed greatly pleased at the wonderful sales of the likeness of the Queen, I am preparing a report for her that will hopefully be delivered in the coming days. For all your hard work I give unto all my subjects…

A BLUE BEAN! *insert crowd gasp here*

Yes indeed, the highest honour of all, for the Blue Bean is the secret ingredient of Blue Jello, yes Blue Jello in it’s sacred raw form! Nothing besides the grace of our Queen’s words could out-do this honour. I hope you all treasure and respect this beautiful bean. If you choose to use it, it can be used only once, but for almost anything you could wish for in our land of Samanda.

Madam President

I look forward with great anticipation to the forthcoming promotions for our beloved Queen Samanda. And I sincerely hope that the Royal Accountant can assure you of the kingdom's solvency so that you can pursue this matter with all due haste.

I humbly kneel and accept my one allotted Blue Bean. What a wonderful gift to all of us, inspiring us to work even harder for the good of the realm! I will treasure the BB (Blue Bean) and think quite seriously before using it just once. I may have to consult Madam Vice President/Jack of All Trades or ask your assistance with the O'Neillium to better determine just what my one wish will be ... especially now that we have a budget line for adult entertainment.

For the present time, however, the BB will rest on my mantle, next to my lyre and quill pen.

Your grateful servant,

Court Jester

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                Yes, and remember in Death Knell, she was toughing it out on an ant hill!!
                Tell me that's not tough!
                From some of the comments on Equal Opportunity Whumpage
                and Season 4's episode 'Absolute Power':

Originally posted by majorsal
                Another non-Sam focused eps/scenes was from s4's Absolute Power. Daniel was a power monster, and obviously a real monster with what he had done to Teal'c and Sam. I wanted to see more! But Sam had some great stuff in that ep. I wonder how long Daniel would have left Sam in that cell to rot? And that quickie image he had of torturing her... wow. Sally
                Sam pushes her way in followed by security.
                CARTER: Daniel!
                ASSISTANT: I'm sorry Dr. Jackson, she insisted.
                DANIEL: It's okay.
                CARTER: You can't seriously think you're gonna get away with this?

DANIEL: What are you talking about Sam?
                CARTER: What you're doing, what you've got planned. That's why you had me removed from the project, you knew I'd figure it out eventually.
                DANIEL: I relieved you of your responsibilities because you were starting to crack under the pressure. You seem to have lost all perspective. Quite frankly I think your jealousy finally got the best of you.
                CARTER: Jealousy? I'll tell you why it's hard to maintain perspective Daniel. Strategic division of labour. All in an effort to stop anyone from seeing the big picture.

FLASH
                Daniel imagines Sam being tortured by a Goa'uld pain stick.

Gosh, that was a real quick image of the torture he had in mind for her ... Did you notice they've never really used that method of torture on Sam throughout the seasons, but they have on Teal'c and Jack and I think Daniel too. Not fair! Our heroine wants equal rights: she can take her punishment as well as the rest of them!

DANIEL: What exactly do you think you've figured out Sam?
                CARTER: You know damn well what I'm talking about. ( To SHIFU) What have you done to him?
                DANIEL: You leave him out of this.
                CARTER: Can't you see what you've become?
                DANIEL: I didn't change Sam, you did.
                CARTER: You can't stop me from telling people what's really going on. They'll listen. You'll never get away with this.
                Sam is dragged out by security.

Yeah ... I liked the scene between her in the cell and Jack in front of the bars ... I wished it could have been a longer dialogue ... loved the intensity and intimacy it conveyed. This episode also showed that Sam was not afraid to speak up and challenge Daniel's abuse of power.
                Prison. Jack walks in. He walks up to the bars where Sam is behind them.
                CARTER: Sir, thank you for coming.
                O'NEILL: What are you doing Carter?
                CARTER: I'm trying to do what's right. I have talked to everyone I know. No one's answering my calls, responding to my emails, even my letters.
                O'NEILL: Because they think you're nuts.
                CARTER: What do you think?

O'NEILL: We're talking about Daniel here, sometimes he can be a little odd. Every once in a while he gets carried away, but he's not gonna do anything to jeopardise the entire planet.
                CARTER: I'm not so sure Sir.
                O'NEILL: There are a lot of very smart people who believe in this.
                CARTER: He's got them brainwashed.
                O'NEILL: Carter..
                CARTER: What about Teal'c? You don't still blame Daniel for that?
                O'NEILL: I couldn't prove anything. Can you?
                CARTER: No. I just have my opinion. But that used to be worth something to you.
                O'NEILL: Look Carter, you helped Daniel create these weapons.
                CARTER: I know.
                O'NEILL: Well you couldn't stop it, what do you expect me to do?
                CARTER: Talk to him.
                Daniel is watching the conversation on a monitor.
                CARTER: Sir you have to try. Somebody has to stop him before it's too late.
                Photos are screen caps from the Season 4 episode 'Absolute Power'
                Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Comment

Well, I think most of my Saturday has been spent on the computer! Between royal correspondence and some serious fanfic reading, it's been a really fun day!

Tok'ra Hostess - I am reading and loving The Hidden One and you do, indeed, deserve the royal title of Scribe from what I've read so far. Awesome! I plan to stay up late tonight and finish the whole epic.

MajorSam - please feel free to either PM or email me your link to your serious Sam whumpage. I plan to read it right after I get done with Tok'ra's.

Of course, this has completely pushed me back from writing the next chapter to my own fanfic this weekend.

I apologize for taking up so much space on the thread today - but the temptation was just too great and the posts just too much fun to resist!

Samanda is becoming an Enchanted and Playful Kingdom!

Happy weekend to all ....

CG
                  Last edited by ChopinGal; 19 February 2005, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                    From some of the comments on Equal Opportunity Whumpage
                    and Season 4's episode 'Absolute Power':

Sam pushes her way in followed by security.
                    CARTER: Daniel!
                    ASSISTANT: I'm sorry Dr. Jackson, she insisted.
                    DANIEL: It's okay.
                    CARTER: You can't seriously think you're gonna get away with this?

DANIEL: What are you talking about Sam?
                    CARTER: What you're doing, what you've got planned. That's why you had me removed from the project, you knew I'd figure it out eventually.
                    DANIEL: I relieved you of your responsibilities because you were starting to crack under the pressure. You seem to have lost all perspective. Quite frankly I think your jealousy finally got the best of you.
                    CARTER: Jealousy? I'll tell you why it's hard to maintain perspective Daniel. Strategic division of labour. All in an effort to stop anyone from seeing the big picture.

FLASH
                    Daniel imagines Sam being tortured by a Goa'uld pain stick.

DANIEL: What exactly do you think you've figured out Sam?
                    CARTER: You know damn well what I'm talking about. ( To SHIFU) What have you done to him?
                    DANIEL: You leave him out of this.
                    CARTER: Can't you see what you've become?
                    DANIEL: I didn't change Sam, you did.
                    CARTER: You can't stop me from telling people what's really going on. They'll listen. You'll never get away with this.
                    Sam is dragged out by security.

Prison. Jack walks in. He walks up to the bars where Sam is behind them.
                    CARTER: Sir, thank you for coming.
                    O'NEILL: What are you doing Carter?
                    CARTER: I'm trying to do what's right. I have talked to everyone I know. No one's answering my calls, responding to my emails, even my letters.
                    O'NEILL: Because they think you're nuts.
                    CARTER: What do you think?

O'NEILL: We're talking about Daniel here, sometimes he can be a little odd. Every once in a while he gets carried away, but he's not gonna do anything to jeopardise the entire planet.
                    CARTER: I'm not so sure Sir.
                    O'NEILL: There are a lot of very smart people who believe in this.
                    CARTER: He's got them brainwashed.
                    O'NEILL: Carter..
                    CARTER: What about Teal'c? You don't still blame Daniel for that?
                    O'NEILL: I couldn't prove anything. Can you?
                    CARTER: No. I just have my opinion. But that used to be worth something to you.
                    O'NEILL: Look Carter, you helped Daniel create these weapons.
                    CARTER: I know.
                    O'NEILL: Well you couldn't stop it, what do you expect me to do?
                    CARTER: Talk to him.
                    Daniel is watching the conversation on a monitor.
                    CARTER: Sir you have to try. Somebody has to stop him before it's too late.
                    Photos are screen caps from the Season 4 episode 'Absolute Power'
                    Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Astro

Thanks for this ... it's great because this was really a Daniel-centric episode but Sam's scenes were powerful.

My ultrafavorite line is: (said to Jack) "No. I just have my opinion. But that used to be worth something to you."

I would love, just love, to see a scene of that intensity between the two of them now!

CG

Comment

Madam President

Be assured that we elders are not so removed from these desires ourselves. As one of our wisest matriarchs once said:

"It's not the men in my life, but the life in my men." Mae West

Wistfully,

Court Jester

Aaah, those immortal words shall forever echo in my mind!!!

Madam President

I look forward with great anticipation to the forthcoming promotions for our beloved Queen Samanda. And I sincerely hope that the Royal Accountant can assure you of the kingdom's solvency so that you can pursue this matter with all due haste.

I humbly kneel and accept my one allotted Blue Bean. What a wonderful gift to all of us, inspiring us to work even harder for the good of the realm! I will treasure the BB (Blue Bean) and think quite seriously before using it just once. I may have to consult Madam Vice President/Jack of All Trades or ask your assistance with the O'Neillium to better determine just what my one wish will be ... especially now that we have a budget line for adult entertainment.

For the present time, however, the BB will rest on my mantle, next to my lyre and quill pen.

Your grateful servant,

Court Jester

I do indeed hope I will be able to recieve the words from Queen Samanda within a reasonable time, but I must inform you there is no guarantee as to what that time shall be, so be not disheartened if it is some time before it happens! I am confident our Royal Accountant shall have good words for us.

Once again I am pleased at our wisdom Oh-Jester, for as I stated the BB is not a thing to be taken lightly!!! If ever you need assistance, or access to the O'Neillium, be not afraid to ask, you have most definately earned your way!

I suggest ensconsing said BB in a protective case, perhaps glass. There have been some...*ahem* mishaps, in the past, involving soundrels and vagabonds creeping into homes in the night to try and whisk them away. Indeed they have even penetrated into the homes of Nobels like yourself!

On this note, I put forth an application for Royal Head of Security, Nominations open!!!
                      The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                      |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

I do indeed hope I will be able to recieve the words from Queen Samanda within a reasonable time, but I must inform you there is no guarantee as to what that time shall be, so be not disheartened if it is some time before it happens! I am confident our Royal Accountant shall have good words for us.

Once again I am pleased at our wisdom Oh-Jester, for as I stated the BB is not a thing to be taken lightly!!! If ever you need assistance, or access to the O'Neillium, be not afraid to ask, you have most definately earned your way!

I suggest ensconsing said BB in a protective case, perhaps glass. There have been some...*ahem* mishaps, in the past, involving soundrels and vagabonds creeping into homes in the night to try and whisk them away. Indeed they have even penetrated into the homes of Nobels like yourself!

On this note, I put forth an application for Royal Head of Security, Nominations open!!!

Madam President

I hope that our Queen Samanda may grace us with her kind words one day.

And thank you for your guidance regarding my BB and its protection. I've placed it in a goldfish bowl; it adds quite a decorative touch to the mantle.

Regarding the need for better protection, I hereby second your call for a Royal Head of Security and nominate Agent Dark, whose very name imparts a sense of mystery and intrigue. If he has a royal trenchcoat, then he gets my vote!

Jester

Comment

Madam President

And thank you for your guidance regarding my BB and its protection. I've placed it in a goldfish bowl; it adds quite a decorative touch to the mantle.

Regarding the need for better protection, I hereby second your call for a Royal Head of Security and nominate Agent Dark, whose very name imparts a sense of mystery and intrigue. If he has a royal trenchcoat, then he gets my vote!

Jester
                          Ma'am, I hereby offer my services as Royal Head of Security for this fine land. I would pledge my life for the protection of the Queen and her subjects and to take the oath of the Fidei Defensor.

Sincerely
                          Agent Dark

Comment

Regarding the need for better protection, I hereby second your call for a Royal Head of Security and nominate Agent Dark, whose very name imparts a sense of mystery and intrigue. If he has a royal trenchcoat, then he gets my vote! Jester
                            Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                            Ma'am, I hereby offer my services as Royal Head of Security for this fine land. I would pledge my life for the protection of the Queen and her subjects and to take the oath of the Fidei Defensor.

Sincerely
                            Agent Dark
                            I second the nomination of Agent Dark for Head of Royal Security and Defender of the Faith for the Realm of 'Sam Carter is a Great Character' (had to dig into the Google archives to discover what Fidei Defensor meant in Ancient!)

Keeper of the Flame

Comment

Madam President

Jester
                              Originally posted by AgentDark

Sincerely
                              Agent Dark
                              Cheers for the new Royal Head of Security for Samanda, the ever vigilant, ever protective, ever loyal Agent Dark!!

Wise A** Elder

Comment

The commentary for Red Sky & the fruit in the wrong basket scene. I just cracked up when AT said she realized as she was playing the scene that she had put the 2 kinds in the wrong baskets and thought "oh, no--they'll think Carter is rude" and fixed it.
                                Originally posted by Elfinwood
                                I loved a lot of the camera work AT used in Resurrection. She played a lot with texture and, as a person with a background in art, those effects caught my eye right away. I also loved the ending shot. It was fabulous. I hate the ending shots where everyone is just standing still and the scene lasts just a few seconds too long. The actors all end up looking like mannequins and whatever impact the scene might have is lost. The "moving in" on the action in the opening shot and the "moving out" on the closing shot was just perfect in Resurrection.

As for the commentaries...AT sometimes sounds a little shy about expressing herself about the mechanics of doing a show when she is with another director, but there was none of that hesitancy when she commented about Resurrection. Sometimes the woman is much too self-effacing! As for some of the other commentaries...Martin Wood is always great. I've learned a lot from him. The other guy...the humor got a little "old" for me as well after the first two or three listens.
                                You must be in the film industry ... the panning in and panning out was definitely an artistic touch and, as you said, it was a cut above some of the more common approaches, integrating the whole piece. And this on her first time out!

I think there is a part of AT which is innately shy ... she reveals this in some of her earlier interviews (see some of the transcripts at her website www.amandatapping.com) ... I remember her saying that playing Sam Carter had actually made her more self confident and bolder ... kind of life imitating art. Growing up and working in a world of men, she may have learned to let the guys do more of the talking - of course, this is just MHO, I can't speak for Amanda and don't mean to. But I get the feeling that, sometimes, on those audio commentaries, she just holds back and lets the other guy keep on rambling. This may be a female thing ... sometimes, at a business meeting, I find myself not as willing to jump in once the talking heads are in full gear. I have to remind myself that my input is just as valid and important to the team.

I think Martin Wood and Brad Wright are two of the veterans who really are able to handle the commentaries quite well. Regarding all the commentators for the DVDs, I think a common danger is their getting way too technical and losing their audience in the mix - Amanda was able to take us along for the ride in Resurrection and it was great. She managed an even balance between explaining her craft and sharing herself as a person. I would like to hear the actors, and not the directors/producers, do more of their own commentaries too ...

Elfin, keep posting here - Samandans love thoughtful critiques and kindhearted fans. And, couldn't agree more - Sam does rock!
                                Everyone has made such wonderful and perceptive comments.

I too have found that I really enjoy the director's commentaries when AT joins in. Her comments for Resurrection were fantastic; she gave great insights into what she tried to do, what she accomplished and the hurdles that they had to surmount. I am also impressed that she integrates the storyline into her commentary and you can tell how it influenced her decisions (not all the directors give me the impression that they actually paid attention to the bigger picture - the overall storyline and how it fits into the Stargate universe).

Of note, she commented on how she knew that it didn't make much sense for the guard to come into the room when Keffler feigns illness so that he can take the guard's tazer. She recognized that there wasn't enough plotline development for that scene - but admitted that they just had to move on.

She made a similar comment on the director's audio for 'Lost City' - regarding the scene where they beam up just after retrieving the ZPM from the alien planet... and they find both Bra'tac and the turncoat Jaffa (Ronan) lying on the floor. Bra'tac was closer to the rings and then beyond him was the turncoat Jaffa. The director wanted the shot framed so that Carter was in the foreground checking the turncoat Ronan and Teal'c checks Bra'tac. In order to make the director's shot come off as he wanted it, Carter had to exit the rings, step over/around Bra'tac and then go over to Ronan. AT remarked that the flow of the scene made it look like Carter didn't care about Bra'tac. She commented about this, but the way that the director had the shot framed (and visualized in his mind) dictated that she had to 'ignore' Bra'tac.

At any rate, I appreciated how AT thought about the scene and how it made the characters come across to the audience. She's sharp and thoughtful.

Comment

Working...
                                X