Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
    I'm so glad to read all these positive comments about Sam leading the team, or at least being given the chance to do so. I've gotten irritated when reading people on other threads saying that Sam doesn't deserve to lead the team, since she has no experience, etc. Excuse me, how does one get experience leading a team if not given a chance? I would think that after x number of years as an officer, and 7 years of being Jacks 2IC, she's learned something about leadership, especially if he's been mentoring her all along.

Along with all of you, I'm really hoping first, that the team actually goes through the gate more often than this season, and second, that Sam gets to take charge of them.

NC
    I'm with you, sister ... couldn't have said it better. You are certainly living up to your title of Wise Elder.

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
      I was thinking along the lines of how the bulk of Season 8's episodes did not show Carter in command, or struggling with difficult command decisions... or showing her as the 'hand signal person in charge'... or letting her be the lead hero in the field... 'no one stays behind', so that she makes everyone go through the gate before her while she stands her ground and holds off the alien barrage so that the others get through safely...

And I also like the idea of Jack mentoring Sam... where she comes back from a mission where she'd had to make a really tough call, and she's struggling with whether or not she should have done A or B... or perhaps whether or not she could have made a different decision that might have saved more lives... and Jack mentors her on how to deal with the aftermath of command decisions made in the field...

Season 8 *did* feature Jack trying to find himself in *his* new position, but Sam's promotion to Lt. Col. and command of SG-1 wasn't dealt with much.

I've said it before (and I'm going to say it again and again and again, so please bear with me ), I'm hoping that Season 9 shows us a strong Sam Carter, one who's comfortable with herself and her life and whose on screen time is focussed on major scifi plotlines that show our plucky gal struggling against great odds.... and ultimately triumphing (bent and banged up, perhaps, but not broken).

I too was not happy with how they portrayed Sam's promotion to Lt. Col... I felt that it was a more than deserved promotion, but the way that they wrote it made it come across as if Jack did it 'cuz he could (which implied that she may not have deserved it....grrrrr).

I really like Sam as Lt. Col. Carter and I like the possibilties and potential storylines for her character. For saving the world countless times, all of the members of SG-1 deserve promotions, medals and other such awards showered upon them - and I've found it odd that they haven't shown a few more medal ceremonies or some such (to include commendations and such for Daniel and Teal'c as well as Jack and Sam).

I however, like many of you have commented above, would have written the 'Sam gets promoted to Lt. Col.' dialogue differently - there needn't have been much said, but it would have left no doubt about the propriety of the promotion.

That all said, I felt that the ceremony was nicely done. If I'd been writing it, I would have added a little bit of humor, though... something along the lines of: Jack is reciting the words that Sam is supposed to repeat - and she hesitates and he looks questioningly at her... she then looks around and 'up'.. and then she shrugs apologetically and mutters something about 'expecting a flash of bright light', 'Thor' and 'crises to save the galaxy'...

Or... simply have Carter beamed away by Thor just as Jack reaches to pin her new insignia on (having it be Jack who is beamed away again would be boring, but having it be Carter would be a great balance - and I can just picture Jack's reaction as played by RDA ).

Something like that would add a little humor to the scene at the same time that it would tie back to the events in earlier episodes such as Fair Game - I'm one of the fans that loves that kind of thing
      Royal Keeper of the Flame

Give yourself a large bowl of Blue Jello for your excellent and right-on-the-money post! You have offered some intriguing possibilities that the writers missed when they moved her up in rank (including the very important component of Jack as mentor). I loved your descriptions of Sam, as leader, active in the field ... yes, why didn't we see some of this?

Let's hope that Carter in Command will play an important part of the new season.

Unfortunately, I can't even get in today to give you green jello, hope the blue will do! Just know, with posts like these, you are keeping the flame alive!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        And to everyone who would like to read a *fantastic* epic Sam-whumping fanfic, I recommend TokraHostess'es "The Hidden One"
        Oi! I can't believe I missed so many pages in this thread!

I keep the forum on pretty much all day at work but when the page times out (because work takes me away from the important stuff<grumbles>) I wind up several pages from where I was. Well, in this thread, at any rate. We're some busy, here.

Anyways, thanks all, for the rec. <blushes>

Night Terrors is terrific and so is The Many Shades of Night by Sharon Nuttycombe

http://home.no.net/fanfic/stargate/manyshnight.html

Excellent Sam and Jack friendship with huge Sam whumpage.
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Oi! You move on too quickly!!

Go back to her boots - go back to her boots!!!!
          Tok'raHostess
          Jumping up and down in anticipation of green jello!
          Within the Serpent's Grasp there is a shot of her and Danny working their way down the coridoor on the mother ship. There is a fairly long shoot of first her feet and then danny's (or is it vice verca?!!) Can anyone put a clip up
          Does anyone want to put a clip up now you've all moved on to pastures new?!!!

MajorSam tried to rep you for the photo's but need to spread myself - you know how it goes!!

Skydiver - Cheers Ears for the season 3 and season 4 polls!!!

Astrogeologist - thanks for the season 3 bar graph and wow wow wow you put up some fantastic captures from Jolinars Memories - simply wonderful!!! Thankyou!!! Dashed that I can't rep you!!!!

First Financial Report for the Court of Samanda - Thanks to the excellent marketing ploy of our beloved President - the buy one Sam get one free promption has been so sucessfull that I am at this moment drowning in beans (cough, splutter). The Queen will be pleased!!!

Comment

Okey Dokey - I have been lazy long enough!
            Can anyone tell me how I get the shaded quotes into my posts? How do you do multiple quotes?

Comment

Ahhh season 4 discussion begins!!!

Yes Nemesis - love the scene with Thor. Thanks to astrogeologist once again for the screen captures, another great shot re the replicator pieces - She says to Thor
              "Can say, oh I don't know 2 pieces come together.." - trying to be casual but knowing full well she's left 2 pieces all alone in her lab. I love that interchange - "It's good to know"

Thanks for the continued snippets on ad libs etc!!!

Comment

Court Jester - My ledgers are all up to date as requested!!

Comment

Re season 8 DVD's there seems to be a stargate to atlantis part one lowdown on the first DVD does anyone know anything about this? It isn't all about Atlantis is it? Is there much Amanda in it?

Comment

Right

The wonderful Court Jester has gracefully allowed me to host another little (supposedly or hopefully) amusing posting spot this time on Cockney Rhyming slang. I'm currently working on the post and hope to be putting it up soon - just need to get me "brown bread" in gear!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coley

... Major Sam - Buy one get one free?!!! - Oh my god!!! Quickly reaches for the hankie to mop fevered brow, fervently counts all beans, slides a few counters on the abacus, mops brow again - whew!!! Yes given a reasonable selling price we can just about fund the offer - bound to be a popular one - so may just break even!! Phew - reaches for the sloe gin, sits back and relaxes into reading posts again!!
                      Dear Royal Accountant:

It has come to my attention that you may be imbibing on the job. Frankly, as Court Jester, it is not my place to dwell on the social behaviours in our realm ... but your ... hmm, how should I put this delicately? ... your sloshing back the sloe gin may interfere with your handling of the Samandan finances. Your position requires a steady hand at all times. What if you get tipsy and spill your drink on the beans? Now that the President is offering that wonderful two-for-one purchase of Queen Samanda's likeness, the masses will soon be clambering to the Samandan "Gate". You and your beans must be ready!

Of course, if that were the only social behaviour I had to worry about ... but it has also come to my attention that our much beloved Madam President and our esteemed Wise Elder have been seen together in the marketplace, perusing certain types of, ahem, questionable adult literature at the more seamy book stalls. I do not believe that the Samandan annual budget contains a bean line for this type of purchase, and am sincerely hoping that you are clear minded enough to recognize the need to approach the Royal Court with a petition for an acquisition line for "adult entertainment". Perhaps, Madam President will even allow your sloe gin to be listed under the same account.

As Jester, my days are spent in the purer and more innocent pleasures of the realm: juggling, singing, playing on my lyre, solving riddles, telling simple jokes, writing poems, and reading bedtime stories to the Samandan young. However, when the sun goes down on our fair kingdom, and the kiddies are in bed ... I would not be completely loathe to sharing a sloe gin or two over a good book.

Respectfully yours,

CG/the Jester
                      Last edited by ChopinGal; 19 February 2005, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                        Oi! I can't believe I missed so many pages in this thread!

I keep the forum on pretty much all day at work but when the page times out (because work takes me away from the important stuff<grumbles>) I wind up several pages from where I was. Well, in this thread, at any rate. We're some busy, here.

Anyways, thanks all, for the rec. <blushes>

Night Terrors is terrific and so is The Many Shades of Night by Sharon Nuttycombe

http://home.no.net/fanfic/stargate/manyshnight.html

Excellent Sam and Jack friendship with huge Sam whumpage.
                        Tok'ra, I'm so glad AstroG posted about your fanfic as I did not realize that you are one of the more prolific fanfic writers on this thread! I'm thrilled to know that and can't wait to find time to read some of your stories, including The Hidden One.

Wow, I salute all of you - MajorSam, Skydiver, AstroG, and now Tok'ra too! I'm in awesome company. If I've missed someone, please let me know.
                        Last edited by ChopinGal; 19 February 2005, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye

A call to nomination of Tok'ra Hostess as Royal Scribe!

Please vote by keyboard or bean (if the bean counter is sober)!

Comment

First Financial Report for the Court of Samanda - Thanks to the excellent marketing ploy of our beloved President - the buy one Sam get one free promption has been so sucessfull that I am at this moment drowning in beans (cough, splutter). The Queen will be pleased!!!
                            Dearest Royal Accountant,

I am so pleased to know that the sale of the Queen's beautiful image has already begun. I knew it would be a success. However, I am concerned that your drowning in beans was accompanied by a flood of sloe gin!

Please continue to bring us up-to-snuff as you take on this arduous task. (Heaven knows what kind of promo our Madam President will be thinking up next!)

Keep the beans dry ....

Your Comrade-in-Charm,

Court Jester
                            Last edited by ChopinGal; 19 February 2005, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Re season 8 DVD's there seems to be a stargate to atlantis part one lowdown on the first DVD does anyone know anything about this? It isn't all about Atlantis is it? Is there much Amanda in it?
                              It sounds like they are showing you what ran here and the one-hour Lowdown has both casts in it with some cute, but brief, moments of RDA and AT! Enjoy! So glad you're going to be able to catch up - which episodes are on your disc?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                in nemesis, when amanda was going up the ramp, her 'ya sure ya betcha' was an adlib

it was the last shot of the day, she was tired and she knew that they could cut her audio really easily because the shot was from her back, so she quipped off

and one shot we never get to see...at some point in time, the thor puppet gropes her. lol
                                little begger reaches up and grabs her butt. to which she hauled off and whacked him...and almost took his head off. hence the 'did i hurt you' comment later because she'd already almost decapitated Thor
                                Originally posted by ChopinGal
                                I didn't know that funny last line was her own adlib - it was a perfect back-at-you to Jack! LOL

She often talks about Thor grabbing her bum in interviews and, when they make a DVD of bloopers/outtakes, I sure hope that's in it!
                                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...amhugsThor.jpg

LOL - these bits are great, Skydiver!

Comment

Working...
                                X