Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist
    I too vote for Michigan as the mitten shaped state. One of my colleagues is from Michigan and I think I remember him describing the shape of Michigan as a mitten when we were talking geology of that region once... or rather I was talking geology (he's a real astrophysicist, so he was just asking questions... or maybe he wasn't and I was just rambling...am trying to remember if his eyes were glassed over...hmmmm ).
    Maybe a partly unravelled mitten. (The UP kind of throws that image off.) No, I can see why you might think that. Check the other side of the "big pond"--Lake Michigan. We had a joke going around a few years back that "It's shaped like a mitten" should be our state motto.

Also sorry for all these short messages today. I don't know how to "blend" more than one quoted post. A Tok'ra I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      there's just that pesky temporal cascade issue
      Hey, the Goa'uld have wash&wear force shields, cloaking shields, and transportation devices, while the Tollan wore emotion recorders, planet-to-planet communications devices and phase shifters; surely Alt Sam has a personal temporal stasis shield she can lend our Sam for a few weeks.
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
        Hey, the Goa'uld have wash&wear force shields, cloaking shields, and transportation devices, while the Tollan wore emotion recorders, planet-to-planet communications devices and phase shifters; surely Alt Sam has a personal temporal stasis shield she can lend our Sam for a few weeks.

where there's a will, there's a plot device
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
          Maybe a partly unravelled mitten. (The UP kind of throws that image off.) No, I can see why you might think that. Check the other side of the "big pond"--Lake Michigan. We had a joke going around a few years back that "It's shaped like a mitten" should be our state motto.

Also sorry for all these short messages today. I don't know how to "blend" more than one quoted post. A Tok'ra I'm not.
          Do you vacation in the Dells?!

Hey, don't feel bad ... I don't know how to blend either ... LOL ... we're definitely not Tok'ra!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            Wisconsin? (trying hard to see it as a mitten...)
            Great ideas TokraHostess!

Comment

To the now four (?) Sam-whumping fanfic writers on this thread---keep it going, please!!

Finally decided on three episodes for Sam for Season three. I went with:

1. Foothold--not much to add here -- many of you have such good comments already. I think this was the first episode for me that the Sam/Teal'c relationship jumped out at me (I am probably forgetting previous episodes), and how much potential I saw in their friendship. I remember being touched by their looks of trust with each other before Sam left the complex. Sam is just great in this show as many others have said. Did not know it was written by a woman---go figure!

2. Jolinar's Memories/The Devil you Know: great jolinar stuff for sam (love this memory stuff and wish they would bring it up in season nine again), wonderful interaction between sam and Jacob, and Sam was extremely brave under pressure in this one!!

3. This was tough but I went with Seth. It is not my favorite episode, but I thought the way Sam reacted to killing Seth--her phsycial and emotional repulsion in her ability to use this weapon--was very important for Sam's character. She had to kill Seth, but she looked physically sick as a consequence. AT played it so well---it was telling in the way that Sam reacted to Jack's "joke" of "Hail, Dorothy."-- not her typical reaction. She felt something that seemed to frighten her about herself.

In regard to Sam in season nine, hopefully this special position is Temporary Duty in the military as Skydiver suggested. I have a close friend in the military (who watches the show) who said that this is quite common. I presume the writers have to be a bit flexible in order to see how much time AT can and will want to devote--and I guess this will depend on a number of factors. I am thinking only happy thoughts for the health of her baby and her and a smooth transition once the baby is born!! She did say she will bring her baby to work, and the working environment seems like as close to a family as you can get, so hopefully it will work out well for all.

Comment

Wisconsin? (trying hard to see it as a mitten...)

Yeah, it's not a great likeness. The peninsula is sort of like the thumb. Just noticed I got my 2nd green block-thanks for the rep points, gang.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
                  To the now four (?) Sam-whumping fanfic writers on this thread---keep it going, please!!

Finally decided on three episodes for Sam for Season three. I went with:

1. Foothold--not much to add here -- many of you have such good comments already. I think this was the first episode for me that the Sam/Teal'c relationship jumped out at me (I am probably forgetting previous episodes), and how much potential I saw in their friendship. I remember being touched by their looks of trust with each other before Sam left the complex. Sam is just great in this show as many others have said. Did not know it was written by a woman---go figure!

2. Jolinar's Memories/The Devil you Know: great jolinar stuff for sam (love this memory stuff and wish they would bring it up in season nine again), wonderful interaction between sam and Jacob, and Sam was extremely brave under pressure in this one!!

3. This was tough but I went with Seth. It is not my favorite episode, but I thought the way Sam reacted to killing Seth--her phsycial and emotional repulsion in her ability to use this weapon--was very important for Sam's character. She had to kill Seth, but she looked physically sick as a consequence. AT played it so well---it was telling in the way that Sam reacted to Jack's "joke" of "Hail, Dorothy."-- not her typical reaction. She felt something that seemed to frighten her about herself.
                  Great comments and critiques Chocdoc! I agree with you about that scene in Seth where Sam uses the hand device and then reacts with stunned horror at what she's done. This was another scene where AT plays it all so perfectly that she pulls the viewer in to the scene with her and makes the viewer feel what she is feeling. Also liked her 'reaction' to Jack's 'humor'... she usually grins or such at his sarcastic humor, but this not this time.
                  Originally posted by chocdoc
                  In regard to Sam in season nine, hopefully this special position is Temporary Duty in the military as Skydiver suggested. I have a close friend in the military (who watches the show) who said that this is quite common.
                  I have my fingers crossed that they keep Sam in the military... so she can lead the team... and fly jets and X302s when the occassion calls for it (or when she can just figure out how to take one up for 'fun'... )

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                    www.geocities.com/popcornsamo/P3X-717.html That's my website, all those fics in green are the Coming Soon's, as you can see, there are quite a few... I'm thinking of putting up some summaries, see which ones people would most like to read, so I can get going on those.

But yes, rite now i'm working on the one called "Broken" One taht will hopefully reveal my thoughts on Sam, and who she is inside, what keeps her going, what would happen if she were to be driven over the edge, to the point where she might never be able to get back. It's not a pretty one, I can tell you that. MajorSal, I warn you!!! Currently it's only tiny... 107 kb. I've barely even started, and i'm actually going to completely change everything i've written already

Just tell me (pm me) to let me know if you're going to KILL HER! I'll read anything you do to her exept that.

Sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

spoiler/speculation for s8/9

(huge snippage)

So… what do you all think of where my mind wandered?
                      Do you think that Carter’s new position might be as the Tokra liason?
                      And what about the idea of Carter getting Tokra’d?
                      Your ideas are very interesting, astro.

For me:

I don't want Sam to permanently lose command of Sg1.

I don't want Sam to be permanently changed by 'keeping' a Tok'ra symbiote.

As a shipper, I'm hoping the temp postition will be helping Jack settle in at Homeland Security. That would work in the personal and professional end of the position. Maybe she's changing things at that base/office/building/? to fit what Jack says he wants? If they're together (REALLY together), let her enjoy his company for a while. But when something brings her back to the SGC... (what could it be?)

Give her back Sg1!

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Spoilers for Season 9 below:
                        Spoiler:
                        From ChopinGal: Do you mean she has a symbiote again? Or does she just become an ambassador to the Tok'ra in name only?!

Either way... They could devise a scenario where Sam gets another symbiote - or they could just let her be the liason without a symbiote...

What do you think of it all? Am I demented? (please say yes)

spoilers for s6's nightwalkers

Spoiler:
                        I would have liked to have seen the fallout of Sam having yet another symbiote die within her. I know the symbiote from Nightwalkers wasn't the sharpest crayon in the Goauld box, but it still 'was' a Goauld, so ... it died in her, wouldn't that have some sort of effect on her? I wish the show would have went somewhere with that.

Sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          spoilers for s6's nightwalkers

Spoiler:
                          I would have liked to have seen the fallout of Sam having yet another symbiote die within her. I know the symbiote from Nightwalkers wasn't the sharpest crayon in the Goauld box, but it still 'was' a Goauld, so ... it died in her, wouldn't that have some sort of effect on her? I wish the show would have went somewhere with that.

Sally
                          Well put - love the 'wasn't the sharpest crayon in the Goa'uld box!'

And I agree with you wholeheartedly that it would have been great to have seen the fallout of the effects of the
                          Spoiler:
                          symbiote from Nightwalkers
                          (spoilers for s6's nightwalkers)

Comment

Originally posted by blueiris
                            I am going to post this here as a way to vent my frustration at the Sam bashing I've been reading. I'm just so tired of all the derogatory remarks. So: threads
                            Spoiler:
                            When it comes down to it, its hard to make a dramatically life changing decision. It's much easier sitting at home watching tv to know what someone should do. But when you're there experiencing God only knows how many different emotions (consider the large burden of earth's safety), its probably hard to get a clear thought without second guessing yourself. I can remember times when I've known what I want to do but I've just wanted to hear someone say "you need to do *this*". This is one of the reasons I so dislike hearing Sam's character 'blasted' when she has an err in judgement. Armchair decisions are easy.

Pete, IMO, was Sam's attempt to put something in place to give her a feeling of completeness. She didn't set out to use him, I think she really thought she loved him. And no, I don't think you should need a man/partner to feel complete. But Sam has been carrying around a love buried in her heart for some time now and she needed and desired an outlet. So she erred by grabbing on to a life line (Pete) that was dangling there. Only human. Then she comes to realize this is not right and that to untangle this mess she has to hurt someone. And as she accepts that she does love Jack, she has no assurance that he still "cares about her, more than he should" or exactly how much "more" he does care. Its not something she feels free to talk with anyone about (either the secret nature of her work or regs really prevent this), unless you count a dream state (which probably was her mind trying to talk to someone). I'm just so happy that she can finally express some of what she's been feeling and I'll be over-the-moon when Sam and Jack finally (I hope) express *all* they've been feeling.

And that was my little blue rant.

Another sign you're a gatehead is when you spend so much time trying to arm-chair psycho analyze SG-1 characters.

I feel the same about everything you've just said.

(((blueiris)))

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

s9 spec and spoilers for Moebius

Spoiler:
                              Wouldn't it be cool if Sam took up a position in one of the alternate universes for a bit, to learn the new physics( the physics Nareem hinted at in Enigma) so that she could come back to "our" reality with a handle on Ancient science?
                              Yes, but we'd never get to see any of it. This must be very hard for the writers to set up Sam's reason for being gone when they can't use Amanda for the setting up (same thing with Rick). So it seems like something simple would work best, otherwise it might feel anticlimactic if it's something huge happening to her and we don't get to experience it with her. But then again, they could use flashbacks when she returned... *ponders ideas* But the shipper in me wants Sam/Jack shippage to be the reason!

Keep those ideas coming, Samandans (both shippy and non shippy)!

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

spoiler/speculation for s8/9

Your ideas are very interesting, astro.

For me:

I don't want Sam to permanently lose command of Sg1.

I don't want Sam to be permanently changed by 'keeping' a Tok'ra symbiote.
                                So clearly stated - just what I wanted to say (but you said it better!)

But when something brings her back to the SGC... (what could it be?)Give her back Sg1!
                                I would love to see Lt. Col. Mitchell *want* to serve under her leadership on SG-1. I'd like to see them write a backstory that includes Carter and Mitchell having served together years ago (before the Stargate project), and Mitchell already knows, likes and respects her. *And* he asked to be posted to SG-1 because he expected to be working under her leadership... that she was gone when he first got there, and that he got command for a month or so would have been a surprise. When Sam returns, he gladly hands her command of SG-1 with no animosity - he's just glad that she's back!
                                Spoilers for Season 8's Threads
                                Spoiler:
                                I'm trying to stay away from the volatile ship topic and the events in Threads. I am all for ship (if it's written well) and isn't at the expense of the characters (especially the female lead). Will save the rest of my comments until more of our fellow posters can join in the discussion after they get to watch Threads in a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X