Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver
    you know, if they feel that, then they just have a far different idea of sam than i do.

sam is NOT one to break down sobbing at work. In this case, she had days to reconcile herself to what was going to happen.

we did see sam act out in heroes, but in that case i see it as a mixture of grief and shock and adrenaline. I mean, there she was on a planet, under fire, trying not to get killed and comes back to find out what happened adn she's massively upset...and even then we saw anger more than sobbing tears.

everyone reacts to grief differently, and sam is not an effusive person that way.

i thought her reaction in threads was very sam-like
    No doubt about it. I think that's what I like so much about that scene: The fact that there weren't dramatic tears, but rather dramatic silence. Less is more in acting sometimes, right? What she didn't convey in sobs was conveyed in her facial expression. I thought it was a great scene, and couldn't stop watching it, actually...

Originally posted by MajorSam
    Yeah, it's funny, I can almost say, 100%, that if Sam HAD burst out in tears, they would still be ranting about how she's such a wuss and can't keep herself together, and so unprofessional.... So we have either thinking she's a heartless b*tch, or a sobbing wreck. It's ridiculous to me, they should all get a shot of some Samanda medicine!!!
    Don't even get me started, Samo...

Comment

Yeah, it's funny, I can almost say, 100%, that if Sam HAD burst out in tears, they would still be ranting about how she's such a wuss and can't keep herself together, and so unprofessional.... So we have either thinking she's a heartless b*tch, or a sobbing wreck. It's ridiculous to me, they should all get a shot of some Samanda medicine!!!
      So true! For some fans, no matter how Sam reacts to anything, she cannot win. If she had shown more emotion, she would definitely be labeled by some as unprofessional and trying to get more sympathy from Jack. If she plays it down, she is not emotional enough.

I rarely read this kind of criticism about the three male actors. I think it was Astrogeologist who posted awhile ago that expectations for women's behavior is much more contested right now---much more in conflict. Also, is this happening because most of the fans online are women? Are many of the men online criticising Sam like this?

I have to admit, I get a kick out of the fact that AT has won the Leo twice, and has been nominated frequently for her acting for different awards through the years, and nominated for her debut in directing. Regardless of the negative criticism of the character by some fans, AT's acting ability is often praised by many fans and by her peers, directors and producers.

Comment

Originally posted by chocdoc
        I have to admit, I get a kick out of the fact that AT has won the Leo twice, and has been nominated frequently for her acting for different awards through the years, and nominated for her debut in directing. Regardless of the negative criticism of the character by some fans, AT's acting ability is often praised by many fans and by her peers, directors and producers.
        and there's no end of praise for her on behalf of the the cast and crew. over adn over on the commentaries they talk about her. the lighting guys like how the light likes her, they talk about how great she is doing things or acting or how she can technobabble like theere's no tomorrow

she's a great actress, and nomatter how much some fans pick on her, she obviously has the respect of her peers....and at the end of the day, that's what counts
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          and there's no end of praise for her on behalf of the the cast and crew. over adn over on the commentaries they talk about her. the lighting guys like how the light likes her, they talk about how great she is doing things or acting or how she can technobabble like theere's no tomorrow

she's a great actress, and nomatter how much some fans pick on her, she obviously has the respect of her peers....and at the end of the day, that's what counts
          completely true. Every SG person i've ever talked to has, if asked about Amanda, gone on and on about how much they love her. I've seen at least 5 people in behind the scenes, like, Colin Cunningham and them, who all agree taht she's their favourite. She's described usually as the caring older sister who alwasy goes around saying "hey, how's it going, how ya doing, anything I can do to help" type thing. I don't know anyone who's met her in real life and not been amazed by her amazingness. If only the haters could meet her... maybe they could realize how much she puts into Sam.

I just found this pic hidden on my comp, and wanted to post it. i love how she has such natural beauty!!!She dosent' need masses of make-up or anything. The first time I met her at the fimling in 2001, in between takes the make-up people were fixing her up, like, putting on lip stuff and stuff, and she backed away from them and said "too much goopies!!" and took a bunch of it off with a kleenex, haha

The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
          |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

First, I'm glad you liked the interview excerpts. If I find any more tidbits that I think you might enjoy, I'll post them.

Second, thanks for the suggestions, astro; I posted them on the Jacob Carter Appreciation and Threads threads.

Third, once again, thanks to everyone for making this such a fun place to visit! I just went to coffee with RL friends and then get to come home to dish with online pals. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

NC

Comment

MajorSam - Your new signature is great!

NC

Comment

completely true. Every SG person i've ever talked to has, if asked about Amanda, gone on and on about how much they love her. I've seen at least 5 people in behind the scenes, like, Colin Cunningham and them, who all agree taht she's their favourite. She's described usually as the caring older sister who alwasy goes around saying "hey, how's it going, how ya doing, anything I can do to help" type thing. I don't know anyone who's met her in real life and not been amazed by her amazingness. If only the haters could meet her... maybe they could realize how much she puts into Sam.

I just found this pic hidden on my comp, and wanted to post it. i love how she has such natural beauty!!!She dosent' need masses of make-up or anything. The first time I met her at the fimling in 2001, in between takes the make-up people were fixing her up, like, putting on lip stuff and stuff, and she backed away from them and said "too much goopies!!" and took a bunch of it off with a kleenex, haha

What a great photo! So natural ....

See? This is my theory ... it all comes back to mothering! Her mom raised her right. Her values are in place. She is just a very genuine, down-to-earth person. How refreshing that she can stay that way as her career grows and she becomes better known. Even though she's been blessed with exceptional beauty, I don't think she even realizes that. What's inside is what's important to Amanda and that's why she seems to have the gift of making everyone feel at ease with her when they do meet. (Not that I know this first-hand but some of you do!)

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree (Oops! forgive the O'Neill cliche!) ... Amanda is going to make one amazing momma herself.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular

NC
                  OK - I'm clueless - how does one view a sig?! What is a sig? And what about Naomi?! (Just threw that last line in to see if you're paying attention.)

BTW, I did manage to find my controls and activate my PMs and ZPMs and e-mails and just about whatever came back at me - so drop me a line, fellow Samandans ... hehehehehe

Speaking of e-mails, I took MajorSam up on her offer to share her video clips of Amanda at the WIFV (Canadian women's awards show in 2003) which she hosted. MS has done a great job of editing the long broadcast and just capturing all of AT's moments onstage. If you've never seen Amanda as a standup comic, you may want to take a look at these. They are very funny.

Jackie Samuda (Nirrti) was president of WIFV that year and is also onstage at times.

CG

Comment

Originally posted by deepspace

... I suppose in a way, that I want to see some of myself in Sam, although it's pretty tough when I'm not even remotely 'bright' or 'smart' like her. Still, I think that she helps me to find in myself something, though I'm not sure what it is.

I do not like the idea of Sam retiring! I want her to be in the military. I think that just being 'Dr.Carter' isn't good enough. I really hope they don't do this.

They are not going to replace Sam with that Vala creature, nooooooo, never. *is in denial*
                    Deep Space

Keep searching! Find what gives you energy ... be passionate ... and be patient with yourself. I believe you're one of the young'uns on this thread ... some of us older gals have more to look back on than you ... how exciting that you are going forward! Jeez, that doesn't mean I've stalled out ... my engine just may be running a little slower.

Hear, hear ... yes, keep Carter in the military! Lots of us agree.

Carter is irreplaceable! Vala is a poor substitute. We'll let her have her fling with Daniel and Colonel CM ... but she's no threat to Sam.

Take care! CG

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular

NC
                      Thanks I like the funny pics of her like that, decided to just slap 'em together.

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                      What a great photo! So natural ....

See? This is my theory ... it all comes back to mothering! Her mom raised her right. Her values are in place. She is just a very genuine, down-to-earth person. How refreshing that she can stay that way as her career grows and she becomes better known. Even though she's been blessed with exceptional beauty, I don't think she even realizes that. What's inside is what's important to Amanda and that's why she seems to have the gift of making everyone feel at ease with her when they do meet. (Not that I know this first-hand but some of you do!)

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree (Oops! forgive the O'Neill cliche!) ... Amanda is going to make one amazing momma herself.
                      I don't remember if i've said this before, but In the interview (i seem to say that quite often...) We were talking about her usually getting lead roles instead of character roles. She was saying how when she was starting out she couldn't understand why she could never get any of the fun quirky background kind of characters, and her agent was like "Amanda, you're tall, and blonde, and pretty, youre not gonna get those roles!" and she's like "but whyyyy" and her agent's like "Amanda, you're tall, and blonde, and pretty!" And she was just astounded!!

I completely agree with all you've said!!! Apparantly her mom was at GateCon this year, I didn't know this at the time, but one of my friend's was talking to her for like, half an hour, and said she was just like Amanda. It's definately what's inside her that' counts. Her child is going to be one of the luckiest in the world, she's going to be an amazing mom, I wish she was mine! (no offense to my dear one of course)

OK - I'm clueless - how does one view a sig?! What is a sig? And what about Naomi?! (Just threw that last line in to see if you're paying attention.)

BTW, I did manage to find my controls and activate my PMs and ZPMs and e-mails and just about whatever came back at me - so drop me a line, fellow Samandans ... hehehehehe

Speaking of e-mails, I took MajorSam up on her offer to share her video clips of Amanda at the WIFV (Canadian women's awards show in 2003) which she hosted. MS has done a great job of editing the long broadcast and just capturing all of AT's moments onstage. If you've never seen Amanda as a standup comic, you may want to take a look at these. They are very funny.

Jackie Samuda (Nirrti) was president of WIFV that year and is also onstage at times.

CG
                      A sig is something that you make, with writing, pics, watever, that are at the bottom of every post you make. My sig is the banner of amanda pics and stuff. You just go to My Controls, then My Signature, to make one.

I'm going to send you a PM rite after this

And I actually admit I didn't do the editing or anything of those clips. Don't have the right programs or anything, I just randomely found them about 3 years ago... lol, I always save every bit of Behind the Scenes or Amanda things I can. I'm glad you like them I say again, if anyone else wants them, give me a shout and i'll send!!! Amanda's hilarious in them Anyone likes her comedic skills, go to conventions, seriously, I think she's the funniest person i've ever met!

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Fly by posting...

Comment

Ok, I just had an insane conversation with a bunch of folks about some of my adventures with meeting Amanda, and they all requested I post the pictures of me and her from our my interview on November 23rd of last year. I thought this would probably be the most fitting place, I hope it's ok with everyone

I must point out that I am actually TALLER than her, but at the time of taking, a thought popped into my head that she's AMANDA TAPPING, and thus should stand higher than me, so I bent my knees and slouched down a bit...

Okay I odn't even need to say how jelous i am- it's UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I wish I loved in wherever the hell it is you people who meet amanda live! *sob* sorry, this is very hard to deal with!! lol. I hate living so far away- i often get these monets wher i just hate knowing that people can meet Amanda and Rick and i can't, call it insane jelously call it whatever yo u want but i hate it!! lol.Of course I don't begrudge you at All MS huni, I just wish i could have the chance to but the likleyhood is I won't be able to- ever. lol. See this is how big a fan I am- I'm willing to have a hissy fit when someone meets her and I don't! lol.

So this isn't a complete whine!! lol, the thing i realise about Amanda now that perhaps I didn't before is she is a natural born comedian too- she has a beautiful heart and she's a great person but she's so funny and that;s what she actually started off doing, i think with two other women? a stage show that was just pure funniness!! Yay Amanda! You can see it on out-takes or behind the escenes she's always cracking jokes or laughing. She's an amazing person.
                          Last edited by Sam fan; 13 February 2005, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks I like the funny pics of her like that, decided to just slap 'em together.

I don't remember if i've said this before, but In the interview (i seem to say that quite often...) We were talking about her usually getting lead roles instead of character roles. She was saying how when she was starting out she couldn't understand why she could never get any of the fun quirky background kind of characters, and her agent was like "Amanda, you're tall, and blonde, and pretty, youre not gonna get those roles!" and she's like "but whyyyy" and her agent's like "Amanda, you're tall, and blonde, and pretty!" And she was just astounded!!

I completely agree with all you've said!!! Apparantly her mom was at GateCon this year, I didn't know this at the time, but one of my friend's was talking to her for like, half an hour, and said she was just like Amanda. It's definately what's inside her that' counts. Her child is going to be one of the luckiest in the world, she's going to be an amazing mom, I wish she was mine! (no offense to my dear one of course)

A sig is something that you make, with writing, pics, watever, that are at the bottom of every post you make. My sig is the banner of amanda pics and stuff. You just go to My Controls, then My Signature, to make one.

I'm going to send you a PM rite after this

And I actually admit I didn't do the editing or anything of those clips. Don't have the right programs or anything, I just randomely found them about 3 years ago... lol, I always save every bit of Behind the Scenes or Amanda things I can. I'm glad you like them I say again, if anyone else wants them, give me a shout and i'll send!!! Amanda's hilarious in them Anyone likes her comedic skills, go to conventions, seriously, I think she's the funniest person i've ever met!
                            See?! I just knew it - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all.

And about Amanda not getting the character roles in the past, I think that will change if she stays in the business ... Lucille Ball was actually a very attractive woman and dramatic actress, but happened to prefer comedy once she got cast with her hubby in her very own 50s TV show. Maybe AT will have her own sitcom on Canadian TV one day!

Okay ... how do I open my PMs or ZPMs or puddle jumpers or whatever! I am totally a nerd when it comes to this Forum ... inching along trying to find my way through the controls and right clicks/left clicks ... my mouse is more educated than I am about these things!!

Yes, I am less ditzy in the classroom ... although ... there are moments ....

Omigosh - I do know how to send a PM - thanks to Astro! Okay, MS - get ready for my first PM .... a woman on a mission!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam fan
                              Okay I odn't even need to say how jelous i am- it's UNBELIEVABLE!!!! I wish I loved in wherever the hell it is you people who meet amanda live! *sob* sorry, this is very hard to deal with!! lol. I hate living so far away- i often get these monets wher i just hate knowing that people can meet Amanda and Rick and i can't, call it insane jelously call it whatever yo uwant but i hate it!! lol.Of course I don't begridge you at All Sm huni, I just wish i could have the chance to but tehl ikleyhood is I won't be able to- ever. lol. See this is hwo big a fan I am- I'm willing to have a hissy fit when someone meets her and I don't! lol.

So this isn't ac omplete whine!! lol, the thing irealise about Amanda now that perhaps I didn't before is she is a natural born comedian too- she has a beautiful heart and she's a great person but she's so funny and that;s what she actually started off doing, i think with two other women? a stage show that was just pure funniness!! Yay Amanda! You can see it oon out-takes or behind the escenes she's always cracking jokes or laughing. She's an amazing person.

Like i've said before SF my love, you will meet her!! you'll find a way, if I can, you can! I always feel bad when you get all sad If I could, i'd pack up Amanda and ship her over to you, but alas....

She had a comedic group with two other women called Random Acts. They did a documentary thing about a small town in Ontario called Blind River (haha, my grade 6 teacher grew up there...) and about some amazing women power stories from there. But then two of them moved to Vancouver, and one stayed behind, and... yeah, Amanda has on many ocassions expressed the want to get it up again. I would definately love to see some of their stuff.

See?! I just knew it - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree after all.

And about Amanda not getting the character roles in the past, I think that will change if she stays in the business ... Lucille Ball was actually a very attractive woman and dramatic actress, but happened to prefer comedy once she got cast with her hubby in her very own 50s TV show. Maybe AT will have her own sitcom on Canadian TV one day!

Okay ... how do I open my PMs or ZPMs or puddle jumpers or whatever! I am totally a nerd when it comes to this Forum ... inching along trying to find my way through the controls and right clicks/left clicks ... my mouse is more educated than I am about these things!!

Yes, I am less ditzy in the classroom ... although ... there are moments ....

Omigosh - I do know how to send a PM - thanks to Astro! Okay, MS - get ready for my first PM .... a woman on a mission!
                              HAHA, I'm imagining Amanda having her own Sitcom... HAHAHA, it would be BRILLIANT!!!

You open them puddle jumpers by clicking on the "Private Messages" blue link thing up at top right... but it sounds like your figuring it out! And everyone has their moments Like me, for example, um... every second of every day...

EEEEEH, your FIRST pm!? *dies of honour* Come on woman, send send, the show must go on, the mission must be completed, never leave a man/woman behind!!!
                              Last edited by MajorSam; 13 February 2005, 04:39 PM.

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more!

And - love the new signature pic MajorSam!

Comment

Working...
                                X