Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
    You've just given me another reminder of why I like this thread. I read some posts on the Threads thread (giggles at the the way that sounds) where the posters were complaining about her lack of emotion in that scene.
    Spoiler:
    You're right, she didn't play it over the top, and it was much more effective. Besides, her reaction when he first broke the news that he was dying was more emotional, and very moving as well.

NC
    On a more personal note, I believe that AT has lost her beloved stepfather and a dear grandmother on her husband's side this past year. She actually shared that she was at her stepdad's bedside ... I wonder how much of that entered her mind when playing out this scene ... it would add to its depth.

Comment

It's actually the 3rd issue of the magazine, so if you're looking for it at a newstand, it's got Sam, Daniel and Teal'c on the cover.

NC
      Good grief - I'm an issue behind! Who and what were some of the features in the second issue (since you have a subscription)?!

CG

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
        Okay, I'm doing it again ... looking all over GW to find the Season 3 Sky Poll and can't find it! What am I doing wrong? How do you all get into the polls so easily?! DUH

Astro - I'll offer an opinion on a third selection after I actually find the poll!
        Best Carter Episode of Season 3 Poll

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist

So.... it sounds like they aren't planning a 'big story' for Carter's absence; that is, nothing like she's offworld leading a mission, or she's captured and needs to be rescued. Instead, she's going to be 'working somewhere else' for awhile... sigh... well, at least it's not just lecturing at the Academy for a month! I was really hoping for something 'big'... sci-fi 'big'... like Replicarter comes back and grabs her for some reason... or she, O'Neill and Thor are off hunting Replicarter...

Many of us on this thread have stated that we are looking forward to seeing Sam in command, hopefully offworld, but we're looking forward to seeing her represent a positive portrayal of a female officer in charge (hand signals and all) - especially as she didn't get much of that in Season 8.

After reading what happens in Threads, I'm beginning to wonder (strongly) if TPTB are planning to have Carter resign from the military and take a 'special' civilian post. That would remove the 'regs problem' and it would make the question of 'who's in charge' with LCol. Cameron Mitchell a non-issue as *he* would be.

I don't like this path because I *really* liked seeing a woman positively portrayed in the military. Having Sam leave the military removes that type of command possibility from her role... as well as makes it more difficult to see her flying an X302 on occassion - and those were facets of her character that I really loved.

I had to go online for something else & wound up back here. Can you say addiction?
          We're only up to Full Alert her in the US and I've really tried to avoid spoilers.
          I *really* hope Sam doesn't retire/resign. People in the military get reassigned or put on special assignments, so I hope that's all RC is referring to. Maybe Hammond or O'Neill request her specifically for a special project. She *is* the biggest brain around, after all.

Comment

Question: Do you know how you will write around Amanda Tapping’s maternity leave?
            Answer: Yes, we have some idea, but I don’t want to say too much. When we begin season nine Carter has already accepted a special position that takes her away from the SGC for both personal and professional reasons. She will still be involved in the goings on but on a more limited basis until certain events bring her back to the team.

NC
            *POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR S8*

I'm going to weigh in here since Astro and MajorSam have already replied. The taking her away from the SGC for both personal and professional reasons has me concerned too.

Mostly, the personal ... this could mean something shippy or not ... and I do believe that, because of what transpires in Moebius, there could be a back-to-the-future twist where either a former BF or a true love could be the object of her affections. Get my drift?! Possible honeymoon?! The only other personal I can think of, would have to do with her family of origin. Again, that seems to mean Mark and the kids, but, depending on the time twists in Moebius, possibly Jacob too.

Or, perhaps personal and professional combined could mean that she's finally going to present one of her theories on wormhole physics to the world community and has to travel to Europe or something ... b-o-r-i-n-g.

None of these allow a rip-roaring tale of Carter out there under seige, being a military hero ... and I know that many of us were truly hoping TPTB would lead in that direction. Carter captured by RepliCarter ... now that would have been something! Sure, if not that, then any old Carter-in-danger arc ... the fans would care about the outcome after not seeing her for five episodes (and loving her in Death Knell). Make it suspenseful and bring her back with a bang!

RDA mentions some kind of surprise twist in The Lowdown ... and this bothers me. TPTB may not have gotten done with tying up all those loose threads in S8 this past week in Threads ... I feel that something is going down at the end of Moebius. Didn't someone write in that RDA and AT were called back (once S9 was assured) to reshoot or add some footage to the final episode of S8?! Seems like we can't be assured of anything that's happened so far, let alone where Sam will be for the first five episodes (while new guy is taking her command).

Having her retire or resign would be unfair to the character (once again). SG1 would be completely male driven! Letting Sam regain command of SG1 and possibly earn a medal or two for her off-world heroism would be the high road.
            Last edited by ChopinGal; 13 February 2005, 04:11 AM.

Comment

On a more personal note, I believe that AT has lost her beloved stepfather and a dear grandmother on her husband's side this past year. She actually shared that she was at her stepdad's bedside ... I wonder how much of that entered her mind when playing out this scene ... it would add to its depth.
              In my interview we talked about a lot of things like having a family support system, and being able to draw from life experiences to enhance one's performance. She emphasized how important it is to experience everything in life, you can't hold back as an actor because while acting you will inevietably have to go places that you aren't comfortable with, and make yourself "live" through some bad stuff. if you dont' know what it's like in real life, how can you act it? That's why having a family support system is so important. you can always fall back on them, or get help or just talk to them when things get rough. Actors have a really rough life, especially at the beginning, so if you randomely get a call from say, a brother, saying that he saw something you were in, and that it was great, that it can make everything all worth it.

K, went on a bit there, but yes, I believe that she most definately probably drew from those losses to get her into the state she needed to be to do the scenes. It's one side of acting that can suck, having to make yourself go to these places, and experience these things...and you have to, because otherwise what your'e acting won't be real, and people can tell when things aren't real.

I wonder what she did to prepare for her role in "Stuck" as the heroine addict...
              The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
              |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Good grief - I'm an issue behind! Who and what were some of the features in the second issue (since you have a subscription)?!

CG
                Prion did thorough reviews of the 1st two issues and I'm sure he (or she) will do the same for the 3rd. Here's the review for the 2nd issue. Review

I thought the first two issues were ok, but nothing great. Not a lot of news that most of us hadn't already seen and some nice pictures. IMO, this issue is the best so far, from the few articles I've had a chance to read. It seems like they've included more things that I hadn't seen yet. And I like the behind the scenes banter they mention. For example, Amanda getting the giggles when she has to say the word "butts" and MS teasing her about it.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                  In my interview we talked about a lot of things like having a family support system, and being able to draw from life experiences to enhance one's performance. She emphasized how important it is to experience everything in life, you can't hold back as an actor because while acting you will inevietably have to go places that you aren't comfortable with, and make yourself "live" through some bad stuff. if you dont' know what it's like in real life, how can you act it? That's why having a family support system is so important. you can always fall back on them, or get help or just talk to them when things get rough. Actors have a really rough life, especially at the beginning, so if you randomely get a call from say, a brother, saying that he saw something you were in, and that it was great, that it can make everything all worth it.

K, went on a bit there, but yes, I believe that she most definately probably drew from those losses to get her into the state she needed to be to do the scenes. It's one side of acting that can suck, having to make yourself go to these places, and experience these things...and you have to, because otherwise what your'e acting won't be real, and people can tell when things aren't real.

I wonder what she did to prepare for her role in "Stuck" as the heroine addict...
                  Thanks, MS, for sharing a little more of your time with AT. I remember reading, too, something she said in an interview about having to go into her dark place for some of the scenes she played.

Having a daughter who is an actor too, I can empathize with Amanda and know what hard work it is to bring out those personal emotions and use them for a public performance. My daughter had appeared in two back-to-back dramas in which she was cast both times as a victim of the holocaust. It took weeks of research and reaching into her own dark places for her to tackle these roles. But what she brought to the stage was so real and powerful.

I can imagine Amanda having a true support system with her family and friends to be able to sustain this kind of emotional intensity on a weekly basis. I bet that she did her own kind of research for the Stuck role ... and it may have even included visiting an addictions/treatment center.

Are you gravitating towards an acting career? It seems so.

Comment

Prion did thorough reviews of the 1st two issues and I'm sure he (or she) will do the same for the 3rd. Here's the review for the 2nd issue. Review

I thought the first two issues were ok, but nothing great. Not a lot of news that most of us hadn't already seen and some nice pictures. IMO, this issue is the best so far, from the few articles I've had a chance to read. It seems like they've included more things that I hadn't seen yet. And I like the behind the scenes banter they mention. For example, Amanda getting the giggles when she has to say the word "butts" and MS teasing her about it.

NC
                    Thanks a bunch - just read through Prion's synopsis! I'm more interested in Issue #3 and will try to find it tomorrow at a local bookstore. If both AT and TR are featured, then I'm definitely going to buy it.

OT - your "nearly rectangular state" leads me to believe that you may be a fellow Pennsylvanian. Or do you come from Iowa?! And yet, you, personally are "nearly circular"?! Hmmm .... you must be a math teacher!

Comment

CG, I'd PM you, but you must have it disabled. Not PA or IA, but another one of those boxy states somewhere in the middle of the country, SD. I just changed my location on GW today as a matter of fact. And yes, math teacher.

NC

Comment

OT - your "nearly rectangular state" leads me to believe that you may be a fellow Pennsylvanian. Or do you come from Iowa?! And yet, you, personally are "nearly circular"?! Hmmm .... you must be a math teacher!
                        Not PA or IA, but another one of those boxy states somewhere in the middle of the country, SD. I just changed my location on GW today as a matter of fact. And yes, math teacher. NC
                        LOL - I *just* read NC's location as "a nearly rectangular state" and was wondering about the connection to "nearly circular"... LOL at your 'math teacher' sense of humor! OK - guessing... Wyoming or Colorado?

I just spent the day creating a huge test bank of 'Whole Earth' questions (on the basic characteristics of the Earth, how it formed and then Global Plate Tectonics)... Had the computer playing some of my favorite tunes while I also had this thread loaded in the background...so when I got stuck... or felt that I deserved a reward, I would pop over to this window and check out the new posts. Music and a great discussion thread - just what the doctor ordered to make the exam creation move along less painfully (I'm creating an online college Geology course, transferrable... a ton of work... thank goodness for this thread!)

Comment

it could be kansas, cause we are nearly rectangular...cept for that little nitch cut out of the northeast corner
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                            LOL - I *just* read NC's location as "a nearly rectangular state" and was wondering about the connection to "nearly circular"... LOL at your 'math teacher' sense of humor! OK - guessing... Wyoming or Colorado?

I just spent the day creating a huge test bank of 'Whole Earth' questions (on the basic characteristics of the Earth, how it formed and then Global Plate Tectonics)... Had the computer playing some of my favorite tunes while I also had this thread loaded in the background...so when I got stuck... or felt that I deserved a reward, I would pop over to this window and check out the new posts. Music and a great discussion thread - just what the doctor ordered to make the exam creation move along less painfully (I'm creating an online college Geology course, transferrable... a ton of work... thank goodness for this thread!)
                            You got close to my actual location, South Dakota.

I know what you mean about coming over to visit the thread for a few minutes between work. I've been grading exams all week and kept sneaking over here for hit and run read and posts. I finally finished up this afternoon, so now I can play.

And OMG, you're creating an online course? What a headache! The prep time is incredible, isn't it? Once you've got it all set up though, it's awfully convenient.

NC

Comment

Whoo Hoo! New poll! New excuse for watching old SG1 episodes. Is it just me, or is it getting harder with each season to pick just 3?

NC
                              Uh, yeah, picking three is very hard for me (yes, I picked four again ). BUT, the reason I picked four was because I consider Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You Know to be a set.

I picked Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know, Foothold, and 100 Days as my fave Sam eps for season 3.

Sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                                Uh, yeah, picking three is very hard for me (yes, I picked four again ). BUT, the reason I picked four was because I consider Jolinar's Memories and The Devil You Know to be a set.

I picked Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know, Foothold, and 100 Days as my fave Sam eps for season 3.

Sally
                                I was good and made JM and TDYK #2 and #3 - didn't double up this time - but you're probably right, Sally - they could go together like Tok'ra 1 and 2. My first choice was Foothold. Sam was just so in charge of that whole crisis once she recovered and realized what was happening. And I loved her smile at the very end when Maybourne actually credits her for saving the day.

If I had doubled them up, I would probably have chosen Point of View as my third favorite. I liked AT getting to play two versions of herself and loved the interaction with Jack and AU Sam. But felt sorry for the real Sam when she had to watch them kiss at the end of the episode.

Comment

Working...
                                X