Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coley
    Skydiver - watched parts of Serpents Venom thanks to you!!
    Other great moments:
    at the start, the Tok'ra are coming through the Stargate - Jack enters the control room
    Jack - Tealc?
    Sam - Tok'ra
    Jack - Too bad
    The writers have done this a few times spun three words starting with the same letter - In Chimera Sam and Daniel waiting for the lift. The doors open and there is O'Neill:-
    Jack - Carter (a bit surprised)
    Sam - Colonel (a little shiftily)
    Daniel (yawning) Cofee!
    Back to SV
    Getting ready to leave on the mission Jack goes to help Daniel with his mountains of books
    Jack - Sure you got everything? - slightly sarcastic
    Daniel - You want to try and reprogram that mine without the proper translation?
    Jack - Thought of a laptop?
    Daniel - Well I have one - I just couldn't find Baxation? Venetion? symbology on cd on archaeology.com
    Jack gently pushed Daniels glasses further up on his nose - which was quite sweet!!
    On the ship Sam is reading Daniels books
    Jack - Do you understand any of that?
    Sam - It's all Venetion? to me sir!
    The mine is onboard, wrong keying in has been made - the mine is about to go off. It is suggested that they release it
    Jacob - If we release the mine now and it explodes the mission will be ruined
    Daniel - And if we don't release the mine now we will be ruined
    Sam has just figured out what they did wrong
    Sam - Technology like this requires a zero
    Daniel - Why
    Sam - Trust me it's a math thing!
    Some wonderful stuff in that ep - thanks for the reminder Skydiver!!
    Great post! And great episode if you ask me. Thankyou Coley .
    Some of the parts of that ep that you wrote here were my favourite parts from it (especially 'it's a math thing'!)

...deepspace is a PROUD MEMBER of the Sam's A Great Character Thread...

HIC COMITAS REGIT!

Comment

ChopinGal - Idioms are alive and kicking - this one's for you - and a bit of fun!!
      Idioms part one:-

Everyone has pulled out all the stops and you're leaving no stone unturned in coming up with great Sam moments. Thanks to everyone who has thrown their hat into the ring regarding this. I'm certainly enjoying myself remembering all those great moments.

I've got to say it - this thread beats all others hands down - everyone is so positive! It is evident we have all been bitten by the same bug and think Sam knocks the spots off all other Sci Fi women.
      It's not possible to sum her up in a nutshell. She had far too many facets to be able to do that without selling her short.
      It's fair to say there are no flies on our Sam. She's a lady on the level - though it has to be said she sometimes plays it fast and lose with technology, but by and large she's head and shoulders above anyone at the SGC. Despite her superior intellect she's graceful and sensitive enough not to ride roughshod over anyone else's theories - she just patiently explains their shortcomings - apart from MacKay that is, to whom she usually gives short shrift - but lets face it Sam can often drive a coach and horses through his suggestions!
      She has abundant patience with O'Neill to whom all science is just mumbo-jumbo!She's always right as nine pence and bright as a button.
      She never has an axe to grind with anyone, but certainly sees red when dealing with NID rogues!

As sure as eggs is eggs you can bank on Sam when the red balloons go up. She is unflappable - even when things are hanging by a thread. There's no stopping her once she gets the bit between her teeth and by hook or by crook she'll solve the problem. She's willing to carry the can if things go wrong (Avenger 2.0) - but certainly pulls out all the stops to make amends. Even when things go down to the wire she never loses her nerve and always seems to save the day in the end.

Season 7 proved she's a bit of a dark horse and she's been hiding her light under a bushel. You've got to admit she was dressed to kill in Chimera in her bib and tucker - Pete was certainly in the bag. Now I'm no dyed in the wool shipper - but I certainly hoped that Pete would turn out to be a flash in the pan. Now I hear she has fallen for him hook line and sinker and it looks like they will be tying the knot. I bet all shippers out there are sorry that at the end of Chimera curiosity didn't kill the cat!!

Back to fave Sam moments - they will have to follow. You usually start this sort of task by trying to separate the wheat from the chaff first. Well I've gone through the process and Sam moments seem to be virtually all wheat and no chaff - which leaves me back at square 1!!

Congratulations on Amanda's nomination - You bring home the bacon girl!! Though I too wonder why she was supporting actress???!!!

Right I'm flat out of relevant off the cuff idioms and part 2 is off topic from this one! Must go and stoke the fire - it's brass monkeys outside!!
      Blue Jello Award!

Coley - you made several great posts today... but this one had me laughing out loud! Living here in the US, I recognize quite a few, if not most, of these 'idioms', but a few of them have me laughing at the wording even though I can't figure out what they mean!

And I *love* how you set all of these phrases into a soliloquy on Sam and this thread! Very creative - and lots of fun!

OK... any idea where 'when the red balloons go up' comes from?

or... 'carry the can'?

or... 'it's brass monkeys outside' (I'm guessing that that means that it's cold... seeings as you were going to go and stoke the fire?).

Comment

Originally posted by hrh36
        Pardon me, I'm just getting my head around the picture of Sam and Teal'c "painting their nails" together!

Now there's an image. . . . Hmmm, I'd rather not go there.
        Well, up until Chimera I would have agreed with you; Sam just didn't seem to be the nail-painting type. Teal'c, OTOH, just might be. It must take him hours to put on all that eye makeup every morning.

But definitely agree with the trust you with my life and spill my guts to you part. Though we haven't seen Teal'c open up to Sam, have we? I'd loooove to see that.

I read in a con report though that he doesn't write for Sam 'cause he doesn't want to do the science research. Well, it doesn't have to be a science ep. Come up with some other imaginative scenario like you did to get yourself riding a fire truck in Changeling. I have confidence he could do it. And he wrote Sam real great in that ep.

hrh
        Yeah. Brad Wright could put the science in, if need be.

I'd like to see a Teal'c perspective on Sam's soldier/leadership abilities, complete with "flashbacks" the kind that are not flashbacks to the audience, but that are to Teal'c, like the flashbacks in Threshold.
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Just had to brag:

Sam-centric ep makes Front page news at Gateworld:

Stargate SG-1 set a new high in the U.S. syndication ratings race with "Grace," airing the week of January 17. The episode earned a 2.5 household rating, the show's best so far this season.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            I notice that alot of ppl pick out ITGTBK as good Carter episode because we see her in command offworld. Just thought I'd point out that we get to see her in command in Icon as well

I was watching Orpheus the other day (704) and we get see a great Sam character quirk in the Gym scene. Shes picking apart that Sci-Fi movie she watched and I couldnt help but laugh because I do exactly the same thing . In fact the movie shes picking apart, thought it wasnt actually named, reminded me of Signs (with Mel Gibson) and I said almost exactly the same thing that Sam said after seeing it!
            Yep, love those hand signals.
            I also loved that gym scene, with her picking apart the movie. And Daniel's reaction. "Why do you watch them if you're going to pick them apart?" For the really bad ones, that's the fun.

Comment

Pardon me, I'm just getting my head around the picture of Sam and Teal'c "painting their nails" together!

Now there's an image. . . . Hmmm, I'd rather not go there.

But definitely agree with the trust you with my life and spill my guts to you part. Though we haven't seen Teal'c open up to Sam, have we? I'd loooove to see that.

Yep, I'd love Chris Judge to write the ep. I read in a con report though that he doesn't write for Sam 'cause he doesn't want to do the science research. Well, it doesn't have to be a science ep. Come up with some other imaginative scenario like you did to get yourself riding a fire truck in Changeling. I have confidence he could do it. And he wrote Sam real great in that ep.

hrh

I think Chris Judge could handle it well. He could make it an action episode. Sam does that too. If they're on a mission together or they get separated from the rest of the team they might open up a bit. I really think Teal'c must have learned a lot from Sam as well as her learning from him. Just the idea of working closely with a woman as an equal was, I bet, a learning experience for him.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                I think Chris Judge could handle it well. He could make it an action episode. Sam does that too. If they're on a mission together or they get separated from the rest of the team they might open up a bit. I really think Teal'c must have learned a lot from Sam as well as her learning from him. Just the idea of working closely with a woman as an equal was, I bet, a learning experience for him.
                Someone mentioned a Sam/Teal'c version of Tangent earlier, it'd be great to see Carter piloting an F-302 with Teal'c backseating to her and being shot down on a sortie (ala 'Behind Enemy Lines'). Then we'd get to see Sam/Teal'c go through the whole Escape and Evade thing together.
                I'd be happy then because I get to see Carter flying (in that funky G-Suit!), Carter getting dirty on the ground and Carter bonding closely with Teal'c.
                Actually I think astrogeologist wrote a great fic that had a bit of that in it

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                  Just had to brag:

Sam-centric ep makes Front page news at Gateworld:

Originally posted by Gateworld
                  Stargate SG-1 set a new high in the U.S. syndication ratings race with "Grace," airing the week of January 17. The episode earned a 2.5 household rating, the show's best so far this season.
                  Wow! Prometheus Unbound and It's Good To Be King only earned 2.1 household rating viewerships! I didn't know that the previous season's syndicated shows pulled in higher ratings than the first runs of this season! Where I live the syndicated shows are shown at oddball times on the weekends and on local independent stations - very easy to miss... especially if there are any sports on that day that shove the schedules around.

Wow! A 2.5 for Grace! Go Sam!

Comment

Hi - I'm loving all the comment on Sams character regression/development!!!
                    I don't mind her making mistakes - but hate her been written as acting unprofessionally - I've heard about one such incident in season 8 - Sam just wouldn't do that. Plus one member of the thread suggested at the end of Chimera the writers should have included to Pete - in the end scene - "first we need to have a little talk about trust" That would have done!!

Though I guess it is easy to be wise after the event!

I prefer her kick ass mode - like astrogeologist.

I'm not quite sure I buy her being fooled by replicarter. In the past she's proven herself to be very shrewed - so a bit of a turn around!! I can't comment much as I haven't seen any of season 8 - Should I look forward to it or not?
                    Coley - don't be discouraged and definitely watch S8. Sam does seem more gullible and vulnerable in the later seasons, but, as many have commented, her character has been s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g and sometimes that can be painful. The writers have turned a corner from Chimera on, and I'm hoping that, sooner or later, they will rebalance and get our girl back on track!

As to her being fooled by RepliCarter ... I think Sam's heart just overruled her head in that encounter and she wanted desperately to believe that RC was redeemable. She did that, too, with Linea many seasons back when she shared the Tau'ri knowledge in good faith, expecting the best, only to be duped in the end. Linea does tell Sam that she wasn't all that innocent ... but Sam follows her instincts and trusts her anyhow. Sam has shown that she values trust, and that's why it seemed implausible that Pete's doing a security check on her and then following her would not have bothered her (as the writers seemed to infer). What you wrote about "having a little talk" makes good sense.

So, keep watching, and keep hoping that, by S9, Sam Carter will be kicking some serious butt and taking pride in her command!
                    Last edited by ChopinGal; 10 February 2005, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Maybe the writers can kill two birds with one stone in writing convincing nonJaffa Teal'c and nonromance Sam by having Brad Wright write a "2 people in a room" story about Teal'c and Sam!

We've had Jack and Sam: Solitudes
                      Jack and Teal'c: Tangent
                      Jack and Daniel: Abyss
                      Teal'c and Daniel: Changeling and Orpheus

I liked all these episodes and I think they were all generally well-liked 'cause the characters came off well in them.

So now it's time for Sam and Teal'c dilemma/danger/storyline.

I think I'll head over to the Mallozzi thread to suggest this. Wish me luck.
                      Originally posted by Skydiver
                      i would LOVE to see teal'c and sam's relationship explored. Ok, in fic, i'm a s/t romance junkie at times, but on the show, i love them together.

to me they're such perfect friends...not always close in the 'paint my nails' kind, but close in the 'i trust you with not only my life but my secrets as well'
                      Oh, goodness, so would I. C'mon, Chris Judge, next time you write for an ep, make it a Sam/Teal'c action/adventure/moral quandry type thing. I know you've got it in you!
                      I'd love to see a sam/teal'c version of tangent, or maybe if they'd have written what happened with s&t on the planet in Fifth Race
                      Originally posted by deepspace
                      I agree that we haven't had many episodes showing the friendship between Sam and Teal'c. Most episodes with Teal'c being a main character have been Jaffa rebellion episodes. It woulds be interesting if they explored their friendship in a life or death situation, or something similar.
                      definitely agree with the trust you with my life and spill my guts to you part. Though we haven't seen Teal'c open up to Sam, have we? I'd loooove to see that.

Yeah. Brad Wright could put the science in, if need be.

I'd like to see a Teal'c perspective on Sam's soldier/leadership abilities, complete with "flashbacks" the kind that are not flashbacks to the audience, but that are to Teal'c, like the flashbacks in Threshold.
                      Originally posted by jckfan55
                      Someone mentioned a Sam/Teal'c version of Tangent earlier, it'd be great to see Carter piloting an F-302 with Teal'c backseating to her and being shot down on a sortie (ala 'Behind Enemy Lines'). Then we'd get to see Sam/Teal'c go through the whole Escape and Evade thing together.
                      I'd be happy then because I get to see Carter flying (in that funky G-Suit!), Carter getting dirty on the ground and Carter bonding closely with Teal'c.
                      I agree with the idea of a Sam/Teal'c centered episode -- and I really like Agent_Dark's idea of them being shot down and then doing the Escape and Evade thing together!

Love jckfan55's comment about having them learn from each other.

And Tokra Hostess's idea of "flashback" sequences - sounds great!

You guys (gals) are creating a wonderful episode in my imagination!

--------

Along the lines of Sam/Teal'c moments, several folks have comments on the strength of the scene in the first episode Children of the Gods - when Teal'c hands his weapon to Sam. So... I went to see what I could do with some screen caps for you, and here's what I came up with:

What fantastic comments and ideas by everyone RE Sam and Teal'c.

Comment

Actually I think astrogeologist wrote a great fic that had a bit of that in it
                        Wouldn't that be a great episode? Would love to see more of Sam as pilot, for sure! And then doing a Death Knell survival scenario with Teal'c after they bail out or crash.

And, yes, AstroG has written a few terrific stories about Carter and her love of flying. Maybe we could petition to have "the good old boys" hire our Astro as the token female writer for S9! Her plotlines would give them a run for the money!

Comment

here's a plot bunny that i don't have time to write

ok, evolution, remember when sam and teal'c ring up the super soldier???

and he's all feisty?

what if he crashes the ship and s&t have to survive the crash and make their way back to the gate to get to the others

perfect chance
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

here's a plot bunny that i don't have time to write

ok, evolution, remember when sam and teal'c ring up the super soldier???

and he's all feisty?

what if he crashes the ship and s&t have to survive the crash and make their way back to the gate to get to the others

perfect chance
                            Great idea for a fic!

Comment

To Coley

Your colloquial craziness left me in stitches!

More idioms than I could shake a stick at!

Idioms are not always my cup of tea, but this time they took the cake!

CG

Comment

Sky_diver you are awesome with the Sam/Teal'c dynamics. I just went on like a three-day stint of many of your fics, and it's so cool! A LOOONG time ago I read a few (OK, nearly all) of your Teal'c/Sam-centric fics, and I was so completely engaged. I mean, you are one of very few authors who appreciates Teal'c as much as Daniel, Sam, and Jack, and you work him into the stories so incredibly well. So, kudos! And, as for the Sam/Teal'c thing in fics - most of the time, when I see fics that focus on Sam, Teal'c is either minimally involved or unconcerned. You definitely know how to make that calm, stoic character come alive!

So yeah, let me know if you ever need some pimpage, because you totally deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                                X