Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
    Oi! Neglect this thread for one day and the posts really pile up!

About polls; I hate 'em. Too much choice! I'd find it a heckofalot easier to vote for my least favorite Sam ep. (There wouldn't even be three on the ballot, for one thing.)

About Sam and Vala;

<gnashes teeth> I don't mind Vala as such, and I'm okay with her being a former host, but, yes, obviously the writers are going to explore that side of Vala, in depth. I bet we get more "Vala the former host" out of her five episodes than we've gotten of Sam in the six seasons since she was blended.

About Sam not using her abilities: I think Seth ties in beautifully with Gemini. Selmak told Sam that she had the will within herself to kill Seth. And, boy, did she ever! Right away, though, she felt a terrible... what? Fear? Guilt? Self-loathing? How exactly would you define that look she gave Jack after his hurtful "Praise Dorothy"?

It's not like she'd never killed before. What is the difference between pulling a trigger and using the hand device? I expect that, at that moment, she saw just how dark she could be.

Next time she successfully uses the hand device, it is to heal a Goa'uld(Fair Game). She hates the Goa'uld, yet, even though she rationalizes it on the surface, mightn't she, deep down, where logic holds no sway, decide that she is more sympathetic to the Goa'uld than to humans, even to her nearest, dearest friend, Daniel?

How do you live with the fact that you can help the enemy but not a friend? How do you keep from hating yourself, deep down in that dark well of your hidden personality, where the light of reason can't penetrate?

My guess is that that part of Sam condemned her as evil, unworthy, and hides her abilities from her. Vala, OTOH, was likely a rascal from before she was taken as a host. She would be in touch with her inner demons, if you will; she'd take advantage of her abilities, because she seems - thus far - to have that selfish, me first attitude.

Now, I think the writers could redeem themselves for not developing Sam's abilities fully in seasons past, by allowing Vala and Sam to interact on a level that only these two share. Maybe Vala could help Sam "embrace her dark side" as Skydiver said.
    Great post TokraHostess! I too think there are some great opportunities for good episode plots concerning Sam's use of Goa'uld technology and what it 'costs' her emotionally and physically.

Comment

Originally posted by NearlyCircular
      I do think there's a reason that TPTB haven't allowed Sam to become proficient in using the healing device. It's the same reason that they made the sarcophagus have a nasty side effect. If it was that easy to heal everyone, there would be zero drama if someone got hurt or died. We would know that there was no risk, since Sam would just heal them immediately. Can't have that, can we?

I do wish that Sam's Jolinar imprint could be explored more. When was the last time they referred to it? I guess it just fell into the black hole of forgotten storylines.
      Yes, if you could always go to Sam for Gou'ald stuff that could become the sum total of her character. (:

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
        ...but i honestly think she's so spooked by what she did to daniel, not to mention the trauma of killing seth that she doesn't wan to use it.
        That moment after she killed Seth was another great Sam/ Amanda acting moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          reckoning
          Spoiler:
          i was referring to RC

she does something that you just don't expect and it's very cold blooded
          Ooh, this is getting mighty intriguing ... Can't wait for the episode to run in the states so that most of us can then jump in with some open discussions, instead of having to hide behind our Spoilers!

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
            Yes, if you could always go to Sam for Gou'ald stuff that could become the sum total of her character. (:
            Yeah, good point, but with great power, comes great responsibility. And we all know, my lord, Sam is sometimes responsible to a fault.

So I would not see her abusing the use of the devices or overusing them. Would she control them, or would they start to control her? Her success with Seth totally stunned and sobered her. And her failure with Daniel discouraged her. So there's great dramatic potential in that plot/arc.

And, it would have just been fun to see her learning how to master Goa'uld technology - I could see her in the briefing room, trying to explain the physics of it all to the guys!

Comment

RE: Death Knell. I agree with those (sorry too lazy to go back and get your names ) who said it wasn't that she was quitting at the end. What else could she have done? She was out of options and knew it.
              RE: the poll. I also forgot you could vote for more than one ep. I picked Solitudes for the different sides of Sam we see. Caring, scientist, tough in the face of adversity, etc.
              Last edited by jckfan55; 30 January 2005, 09:04 AM. Reason: embarrassing typo!

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                Oi! Neglect this thread for one day and the posts really pile up!

About polls; I hate 'em. Too much choice! I'd find it a heckofalot easier to vote for my least favorite Sam ep. (There wouldn't even be three on the ballot, for one thing.)

About Sam and Vala;

<gnashes teeth> I don't mind Vala as such, and I'm okay with her being a former host, but, yes, obviously the writers are going to explore that side of Vala, in depth. I bet we get more "Vala the former host" out of her five episodes than we've gotten of Sam in the six seasons since she was blended.

About Sam not using her abilities: I think Seth ties in beautifully with Gemini. Selmak told Sam that she had the will within herself to kill Seth. And, boy, did she ever! Right away, though, she felt a terrible... what? Fear? Guilt? Self-loathing? How exactly would you define that look she gave Jack after his hurtful "Praise Dorothy"?

It's not like she'd never killed before. What is the difference between pulling a trigger and using the hand device? I expect that, at that moment, she saw just how dark she could be.

Next time she successfully uses the hand device, it is to heal a Goa'uld(Fair Game). She hates the Goa'uld, yet, even though she rationalizes it on the surface, mightn't she, deep down, where logic holds no sway, decide that she is more sympathetic to the Goa'uld than to humans, even to her nearest, dearest friend, Daniel?

How do you live with the fact that you can help the enemy but not a friend? How do you keep from hating yourself, deep down in that dark well of your hidden personality, where the light of reason can't penetrate?

My guess is that that part of Sam condemned her as evil, unworthy, and hides her abilities from her. Vala, OTOH, was likely a rascal from before she was taken as a host. She would be in touch with her inner demons, if you will; she'd take advantage of her abilities, because she seems - thus far - to have that selfish, me first attitude.

Now, I think the writers could redeem themselves for not developing Sam's abilities fully in seasons past, by allowing Vala and Sam to interact on a level that only these two share. Maybe Vala could help Sam "embrace her dark side" as Skydiver said. I think I'd like to see a Carter/MacKay type antagonism between these two women, mainly because of their respective attitudes toward their abilities.
                I concur with AstroG - excellent post! And having Vala and Sam now find a common ground to explore (whether for better or worse) would be a great direction to take in S9. Two strong females ....

Comment

Skydiver, I think the poll is going wonderfully! With this first one folks are learning how it works (that they can pick their top 3, to post their comments on this thread and not on the poll thread, etc.). I did notice that when you view the poll results, it says 'What are your top three Carter episodes of Season 1?' at the top of the poll... Can we change that to 'Which Season 1 episodes are the best Carter episodes?" (or some such wording).

Again, I want to thank you for creating and managing the poll for us - it will hopefully generate more positive and constructive discussion regarding the the main topic of this thread

Last edited by astrogeologist; 30 January 2005, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Catysg1
                    I love Sam ..and she is just mixed up right now ..Who wouldn't be !!
                    She is just going through a hard emotionnal patch in her life and it does happen to everybody ...For her well ..she has an important job and it seems to conflict with her professional decisions ...but I believe that when you are unhappy in love , it must be difficult to work well..and yes she made wrong decisions because of that ....but hopefully it's only a moment in time , People grow and go through phases in life ..She 'll get through it but it takes time like in real life ...she is not perfect and she knows that .

All she needs to do is sort out her private life so that she can be a extremely good colonel ..and she'll do it .She wants to do it ...just give her a little time .

Caty
                    Welcome to Samanda, Caty! I have been an admirer of your fantastic Sam videos for months. Quite an excellent job and, obviously, a labor of love.

Hope you stay on with us here and contribute to our favorite topic: Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                      Skydiver, I think the poll is going wonderfully! With this first one folks are learning how it works (that they can pick their top 3, to post their comments on this thread and not on the poll thread, etc.). I did notice that when you view the poll results, it says 'Which season one episode is the best?' at the top of the poll... Can we change that to 'Which Season one episodes are the best Carter episodes?" (or some such wording).

Again, I want to thank you for creating and managing the poll for us - it will hopefully generate more positive and constructive discussion regarding the the main topic of this thread
                      Great suggestion - and actually maybe we should say "which three Season One Episodes ... ? That may eliminate the problem altogether.

Comment

As we begin to talk about our favorite S1 episodes, I'm remembering some of the AT articles I've read in which she pokes fun at herself for being such a "klutz" or "spaz" at playing Sam Carter (e.g., running, reloading and handling her gun, attempting stunts that end up hurting her, etc. etc.)

So, why don't we start thinking about/sharing some Carter moments that may have not been all they seemed to be behind the scenes!

Let me begin with Solitudes where we see, onscreen, the tremendous physical efforts of climbing and falling back down that Sam had to do. My understanding is that AT gave 110% on this and insisted on doing most of the stunts herself. And then add the sub-zero temps the actors had to work in.

Here's a direct quote by Amanda taken from Stargate SG1, The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 1 and 2, by Thomasina Gibson: "They literally plonked me on this icefield, and then the helicopter flew up further away so they could shoot a long lens whilst I crawled into a crevasse and crawled out again ... it was freezing cold and I got really wet, and then had a 45-minute ride back in the helicopter, but I just remember thinking that I was so lucky ... I was hiding in this crevasse with my arms sticking out, but I was perched on one foot on a tiny ice ledge, and could have slipped ... it was seriously scary. You could hear the ice moaning and groaning - but what an experience, eh?"

And, of course, most of us know that she did, indeed, sustain a concussion when Kawalsky threw her back against the side of the elevator in the early SG1 episode, The Enemy Within.

AT has also shared that she trained for days to master the fight scene at the end of Emancipation which was so impressive. LOL It seems that AT's being the only lead female in the cast brought out a lot of her own spunk which she transferred into Carter from the very beginning.

I also read that she nearly drowned doing the water-rising scene with RDA in Descent. Here's what she had to say about that (Stargate SG1, The Illustrated Companion, Seasons 5/6, by Thomasina Gibson) ... again, Amanda's own words:

"The scene called for us to be surrounded by rising water, and we had to find an air pocket .... The idea was for us to stick our heads up and breathe, but what I kept forgetting to do was tilt my head all the way back. So I'd feel the water just above my nose and I'd open my mouth to take a breath and I'd choke. It happened about three times in a row! .... I was so completely embarrassed. But it works in the scene, because when the water lowers and it looks like I'm choking, I was, in actual fact, choking ..."

I believe, after several seasons, TPTB have finally given Amanda stunt pay!

She certainly is not a prima donna and is definitely a good sport! No wonder she has so many fans. We love her because she's Everywoman. Come on, be honest ... can't you just remember moments in your own life when, oops, you were a bit out of sync with your body?! Heck, I barely passed gym in high school!

Now it's your turn. Share something you've read or know about a scene or episode where AT did her own stunts which may then have had unexpected consequences.

(I know a few more, but don't want to dominate this topic, rather open it up for some fun discussion ...)

PS If you haven't read Stargate SG1,The Illustrated Companions (three volumes) by Thomasina Gibson, treat yourself to the paperback books. They are well written and give so many insider facts about what happens, on and off set. I think you can find them online at Amazon.com
                        Last edited by ChopinGal; 30 January 2005, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                          "The scene called for us to be surrounded by rising water, and we had to find an air pocket .... The idea was for us to stick our heads up and breathe, but what I kept forgetting to do was tilt my head all the way back. So I'd feel the water just above my nose and I'd open my mouth to take a breath and I'd choke. It happened about three times in a row! .... I was so completely embarrassed. But it works in the scene, because when the water lowers and it looks like I'm choking, I was, in actual fact, choking ..."
                          thanks for these insights! I noticed in that episode that at the end of the water scene RDA seems to be holding her up as she splutters. I *wondered* if that was part of the script or if it was RDA the person helping AT the person. Sounds like it may have been the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                            Decided to add a vote in for Fire and Water, that scene where MacKenzie has Sam under hyponsis is a great scene.
                            Hi Agent

I agree, that was a powerful scene, and, again, an early hint of the fine actor that AT was. I also liked her scene in the infirmary with Janet.

CG

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                              thanks for these insights! I noticed in that episode that at the end of the water scene RDA seems to be holding her up as she splutters. I *wondered* if that was part of the script or if it was RDA the person helping AT the person. Sounds like it may have been the latter.
                              There was more to Amanda's quote, and, from what you just replied, I feel I should share it with you:

"... I'd open my mouth to take a breath and I'd choke. It happened about three times in a row! So after three takes, Richard turns to me and says, 'Why do you keep doing that?' So I smacked him and said, 'It's not like I'm doing it on purpose!' all girly-like."

Would have loved to have been on the set for that cute encounter, wouldn't you?!

Comment

i believe that it was rules of engagement when she tripped and sprained her ankel....and was very grateful for the boots then because they do give a lot of ankel support

there was also an eps where there were explosions going off, she she got too close to one and got a little singed

I think she's referred to herself as having the ability to trip over thin air

She does do a lot of her own stunts, and i think, even more than RDA. In many cases, if you look close enough, it's really dan shea playing Jack, or Bill Nikoli

I believe that whole beginning of abyss wasn't even rda, it was dan. rda only did the part where we actually saw his face
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X