Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tara3583
    I thought you all might like to know what my husband has said of Amanda, i would first like to add that Mr Tara is not a scifi fan but has seen the odd episode his words went somthing like this; "Wow- I could really believe she is a soldier, she has the look and stance of some one in the armed forces even down to the handling of her gun! She's nice on the eye's and interesting to watch!"

We will be going to Gabit events when Amanda has given out her new dates and as this will be the first time of meeting her just to be able to tell her those things would be great!
    Tara3583 -- I think that your husband has encaspulated one of the important pieces of what makes AT's Sam Carter so compelling!

Comment

What would be great is to see Sam loose all control over her actions, maybe she's been druged or had some local brew that had a adverse afect on her or put into the same type of situation as Jack by being tourted to the brink of death (nothing gory) but would push her to her utmost limits.
      ......TARA......

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
        Tara3583 -- I think that your husband has encaspulated one of the important pieces of what makes AT's Sam Carter so compelling!

I thought so to when he said it, it's always nice to hear what a "non fan" has to say about a character even if it's your own husband!
        ......TARA......

Comment

Sam's character is so down to earth. She's not larger than life, even though she's saved the planet how many times? She's very competent, but not overly self confident; she's self-effacing; she's warm and friendly, but not really outgoing. Doesn't that remind you of women that you know? Ok, maybe I don't know anyone that beautiful and intelligent and courageous and strong, but she seems like someone I would definitely like to have as a friend.

Comment

First of all I want to say that I like the character of Sam. I think AT is a fantastic actress but I feel the character of Samantha Carter is some male writer's fantasy of the perfect millitary woman. She's beautiful, intelligent, and submissive. Yes, submissive. After 7 seasons of her being understanding and calm with all her male co-workers, I'd like to see her tell them just once to stick it! I want to see her loose her temper and threaten them bodily harm. The only time we got to see her loose it was when she jumped on Jack and tried to seduce him in Broca Divide. Is this the only display of Sam loosing her cool that they could come up with? Nice script for RDA though. You can't tell me that in all these years she hasn't gotten mad enough to throw a fit. She just sits there and smiles. It's not human...maybe the real Sam is in an alternative universe and Replicator Sam has been in her place all along.

Comment

Originally posted by Abodie
              You can't tell me that in all these years she hasn't gotten mad enough to throw a fit. She just sits there and smiles. It's not human...maybe the real Sam is in an alternative universe and Replicator Sam has been in her place all along.
              LOL

Of course, she really can't blow up at Jack since he's her superior officer and there could be consequences. And who could get mad at Teal'c or Daniel? (well maybe Apophis or Kinsey or Baal or Anubis, yada yada yada).

You're right, though, they've certainly given her cause at times. Does Ascension come to mind?

Comment

So true! How can she just sit and smile and work on gadgets all the time... If I was her, after some of thte things that have happened I would be throwing them around the lab, not telling Jack to please put the doohickey down.

Spoiler:
                I reaaally hope Reckoning has some really good Sam stuff. I know there are going to be some big scenes between her and Jacob, but I also hope that Replicarter does some really evil things, desirably to Jack, that Sam finds out about. She could lose her temper on Replicarter and go rampaging, or have some big emotional things to deal with. the whole Replicarter being her evil side thing, that she finally has to face

Something funny I heard once. Two 16 year old guys in a room while i'm on a Stargate site. One says "So I guess this Major Sam Carter chick is pretty butch, eh?" and the other says "No way man, she's hot. Aaah, it was very amusing

Oh, and welcome to more newbies! YAAAAAY
                The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
                |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  The scene at Jack's house seemed to be so Carter to me. Here is someone who tries hard to play it by the book (think of her many "yes, sirs" to her COs) and I wonder, like you, if the writers had not written that standing up into the script and if AT just decided to be true to her character. It seems, though, that Sam would have become much more formal when Gen Hammond walked in on them. We'll have to ask our very own almost-Lt. Colonel: Major Sam - would standing at attention have been required in that scene?

Okay - it's a very snowy and blizzardy Sunday in the eastern part of the good ole USA - we got a foot of snow and are just now digging out! So I've got to go and play in the snow and make a Sam Carter snow woman next to all those dumb snowmen I see being built outside my bedroom window!

Peace! CG Totally enjoying this thread!
                  Well, I must say again i'm not actually going to be an Lt. Colonel. I'm in a kind of off-shoot branch of the military, not the actual military. The number of promotions i've recieved will be equal to getting Lt. Colonel in the real army. As well the Air Force is different from the Army, as well as i'm Canadian, and Stargate is American, so my rules might be different from theirs. As far as I know though, no, she would not have to salute. Technically no one is supossed to salute unless in uniform, wearing proper head dress, so if that applies to Stargate as well there have been quite a few booboos... In that scene they were off-duty, off base, and just in normal civvies. But again, my rules are most likely different.

HAHAH, I love the snowmen comment!! BRILLIANT!!!

Originally posted by ChopinGal
                  I second that!

Major Sam, you have shared some really interesting and fun things from your own life and your personal access to AT. I applaud you for being so free and I'm sure I speak for all the friendly fans at this particular thread when I say that we will honor your wishes to keep some of the more personal AT content to ourselves.

As Sam Carter said in Divide and Conquer: "None of this really has to leave this room."

Thanks again for making this thread even more enjoyable and special.
                  Thank you so much for your comments.I really appreciate them I'm glad that I can help enhance this wonderful thread, and I hope people are getting a better understanding of the person whom I think is the best person ever to grace this Earth. As well thank you SOO much for keeping this stuff "in the room" (perfect use of a quote, good call!) Because like I said, I probably shouldn't tell you, but I feel this is the one place the info could be used towards a good cause. I've had some really bad experiences on the net (not regarding any AT stuff, but still) but I don't think this will go bad.
                  Last edited by MajorSam; 23 January 2005, 02:19 PM.

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by Abodie
                    First of all I want to say that I like the character of Sam. I think AT is a fantastic actress but I feel the character of Samantha Carter is some male writer's fantasy of the perfect millitary woman. She's beautiful, intelligent, and submissive. Yes, submissive. After 7 seasons of her being understanding and calm with all her male co-workers, I'd like to see her tell them just once to stick it! I want to see her loose her temper and threaten them bodily harm. The only time we got to see her loose it was when she jumped on Jack and tried to seduce him in Broca Divide. Is this the only display of Sam loosing her cool that they could come up with? Nice script for RDA though. You can't tell me that in all these years she hasn't gotten mad enough to throw a fit. She just sits there and smiles. It's not human...maybe the real Sam is in an alternative universe and Replicator Sam has been in her place all along.
                    I have to agree with you that Sam has shown a lot of submissiveness, but she is usually in scenes with superior officers...and that makes it tough for her to show her annoyance or anger if she's going to stay within military protocol. It's too bad we haven't been able to see Carter interact with officers of equal (or lower) rank....

That said, there have been a few times when Carter got to lose her cool a bit and/or push the boundaries with her superior officer:

--> 'Enemies' where she tells O'Neill that there isn't much use in her trying to work on the controls to their cell on the Goa'uld ship... and basically tells him that it's a stupid idea...
                    JACK: Think you can hotwire this thing?
                    SAM: Well, I assume there's some sort of safety mechanism to ensure against that, I mean, otherwise it'd be pretty STUPID to lock us in here, wouldn't it? (He looks hurt, turning his head to the side.) Of course, I could give it a shot. (Walking past him) ... Sir.
                    JACK: Thank you.

--> the episode 'Chain Reaction' where she gets angry with General Bauer (where they ordered her to make the naquadah bomb, but deliberately didn't tell her that there was a significant level of naquadah in the native soil... to keep her from knowing that they were looking at a probable chain reaction)
                    Bauer: We're not stopping the test.
                    Carter: I don't think you realise the implications of this... Or maybe you do.
                    Bauer: Are you making an accusation Major?
                    Carter: You knew all along didn't you? You were hoping for a chain reaction with the Naquada in the soil. Sir, that entire planet could be destroyed.

--> the episode 'Revelations' where she gets frustrated with O'Neill's unwillingness to talk cathartically about Daniel's death
                    CARTER: Colonel. We need to talk.
                    O'NEILL: I don't want to hear it Carter.
                    CARTER: You can't just pretend this didn't happen.
                    O'NEILL: I'm not pretending anything. This is the job. We lose people all the time.
                    CARTER: We're talking about Daniel.
                    O'NEILL: What do you want me to do? He's gone. We've got work to do.

--> the episode 'The Light' as she and O'Neill walk along that muddy beach as they start to go into withdrawal
                    O'Neill: What?
                    Carter: I guess the reality that we may never go home is setting in.
                    O'Neill: Oh Hammond'll keep us supplied with everything we'll need until we can figure this out.
                    Carter: Be a good excuse for you.
                    O'Neill: Huh?
                    Carter: To do nothing for a while.
                    O'Neill: What?
                    Carter: Forget it.
                    O'Neill: That would be forget it SIR.
                    Carter: Oh please, you think I'm keeping that up if we're stuck here forever?
                    O'Neill: Listen Major.
                    Carter: No way.
                    O'Neill: That's no way COLONEL.
                    Carter: I'm supposed to accept that. That's the way it's gonna be?
                    O'Neill: That's the way it is.
                    Carter: What difference does it make? It's not up to you.
                    O'Neill: Carter! You're in withdrawal.
                    Carter: Oh I'm in withdrawal?
                    O'Neill: Yes. So am I.

--> the episode 'Foothold' where she tells Maybourne off

Maybourne, you are an idiot every day of the week!
                    Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?!

--> The episode 'Heroes', after Janet has been killed in battle

EMMETT: Don't look at him we're cleared to shoot here. Just follow me.
                    *rushes towards Sam* and bring that bring the sound. Major, what happened?
                    SAM: Please *holds her hand up to him, she's crying*
                    EMMETT: Now I know that at least one person was injured back there.
                    *still moving* and all I want to say is-
                    SAM: Look leave me alone and shut that damn thing off.
                    *The cameraman shuts off the camera*

Transcript excerpts are from the Stargate SG-1 Transcript website

Comment

While I'll agree that Sam rarely "loses her cool" (Foothold and Paradise Lost come to mind) she is not what I'd call submissive.

In COTG she made it clear that she was going on the mission, whether the boys liked it or not. I expect she dared say that to a superior officer because she'd been given clearence to go by Jack's superiors.

In Emancipation she fights for what she feels is right and throws the air Force motto into Jack's face, so to speak. That was pretty brassy, IMO, and Jack told her as much.

In First Commandment, Jack orders her back to the SGC and she respectfully, but categorically refuses.

In that same ep she also K-O-s the abusive soldier and admits that "that felt good," so I can only imagine that it's not for lack of wanting to that she doesn't sometimes whack some sense into her men.

In Hathor she goes up against Hammond himself.

Sam, submissive? Most times, as her rank demands, but I'd have to say that there is tons of evidence for Generals, Colonels, and aliens submitting to her will, too. Sam can get those guys to do just about anything.
                      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by astrogeologist
                        I have to agree with you that Sam has shown a lot of submissiveness, but she is usually in scenes with superior officers...and that makes it tough for her to show her annoyance or anger if she's going to stay within military protocol. It's too bad we haven't been able to see Carter interact with officers of equal (or lower) rank....

There is that scene with Dr. Lee in Paradise Lost, when he wants to give up looking for Jack and she briefly loses it . He isn't military, but presumably under her "command" at the time. So she can get in someone's face if she needs to. As has been stated frequently on this thread though, it would be good to see Sam actually put into situations where her command skills are tested.

Comment

Just wanting to know what you guys think of my new sig. Silly thing I got from messing around in photoshop

^^Sam/Jack^^

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                            I 'think' it's a British magazine?... Anyhoo, I got the inteviews from here, seeing as I'm a US chick and can't get the mags.

http://stargatedanielfriendly.net/ht...especial61.php
                            Thanks so much for posting the link to that article.

Comment

I don't think i'd call her submissive in a way as much as i would say it's a commentary on how she's been raised.

She was raised by Jacob....who, in my interpretation, after his wife's death ran his house like a base. I'm the boss, you're not, do as i say, that type of things

she's been taught to respect authority

and...realistically, sam will win more folks over by logically arguing with them than she will by losing her temper and yelling.

it's a nasty doublestandard....men lose their temper and act out, they're manly...women do it, they're irrational and hysterical

by staying calm and composed, she maintians her rep as being reliable.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                                While I'll agree that Sam rarely "loses her cool" (Foothold and Paradise Lost come to mind) she is not what I'd call submissive.

In COTG she made it clear that she was going on the mission, whether the boys liked it or not. I expect she dared say that to a superior officer because she'd been given clearence to go by Jack's superiors.

In Emancipation she fights for what she feels is right and throws the air Force motto into Jack's face, so to speak. That was pretty brassy, IMO, and Jack told her as much.

In First Commandment, Jack orders her back to the SGC and she respectfully, but categorically refuses.

In that same ep she also K-O-s the abusive soldier and admits that "that felt good," so I can only imagine that it's not for lack of wanting to that she doesn't sometimes whack some sense into her men.

In Hathor she goes up against Hammond himself.

Sam, submissive? Most times, as her rank demands, but I'd have to say that there is tons of evidence for Generals, Colonels, and aliens submitting to her will, too. Sam can get those guys to do just about anything.
                                A good and thoughtful response which led me to start racking my brain over times that Carter balked at what the guys were telling her to do, etc. You and AstroG seemed to name a lot of the scenes, how about Singularity too when she refuses to give Cassie to O'Neill for the trip down to the bunker and then when she disobeys his order to return to the surface and goes back down to Cassie. She also has had disagreements and spoken up to McKay about how to proceed on saving Teal'c in 48 Hours plus the great line "Go suck a lemon", and the follow-up episode where McKay returns and they disagree again over the way to handle another crisis. Also, in the episode where Hammond was forced to retire, she had to obey the new general but her body language and looks conveyed the message that she did not agree with his plan (and she was later proved correct). Her steely look said it all when Jack was facing her as he ordered the iris closed in The Other Side and knew that there was someone coming through the wormhole after them. I think Sam is smart enough to know when or where she cannot challenge the establishment and has learned the art of compromise, a necessary survival skill, sometimes, in an organization run predominantly by males. Just because she seems to be smiling a lot, doesn't necessarily imply that she's allowing herself to be a doormat. I think she has a good sense of just how far she can go in certain circumstances and with which people.

Comment

Working...
                                X