Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
    You're a competitive shooter? Cool. I'm stuck between that and Martial Arts for a collage athletic program.
    Not for years. I was as a teenager. Air rifles on a state level, got into 1903 Springfields for a while. I rather enjoyed it. Rather zen thing. Improved my concentration on just about everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
      Many of us challenging the character as portrayed in episodes like Gemini are true fans of the character. Most of my objections to that episode have to do with my feeling that it was detremental to her character.

I love the Sam character, but I love her ineptitude as much as her grace and intelligence.

I suspect that I am of the minority who feel this way, but I think that we saw classic Carter in Gemini. Sam is truly in her element when it comes to the absolutes of science. When it comes to the soul, things can get a little iffy for her.

A character that doesn't have serious flaws isn't a character worth (my) attention. If it's a flaw, then of course that flaw is going to stand out like a big, fat, swollen, angry, red, sore thumb to those who don't share that same flaw.

For good or ill, I think Gemini was faithful to Sam's character.

BTW, if any here feel that Gemini did not highlight Sam Carter's character flaws, what episodes have done so?

Not an aggressive question, BTW; I'm just curious.
      Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
      "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
      One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
      resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
      confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
      A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
      The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
        Not for years. I was as a teenager. Air rifles on a state level, got into 1903 Springfields for a while. I rather enjoyed it. Rather zen thing. Improved my concentration on just about everything.
        My best shot is with the air rifles. Unfortunately I have to do a lot of training with silly .22 rifles from the 1940's, which I really don't like. This year at training in the summer i'll be shooting C7's, I'm really excited. Hopefully i'll be able to do a foreign exchange next summer and go to Germany. That's about 20 handguns, 40 different other weapons, and then every kind of explosive you could ever hope to train with, including rocket launchers etc.

Oh dear, I sound like a war crazed maniac... I'm just very adept at learning weapons, and like MF, it improves my concentration dramatically, even by way of just knowing how to calm yourself.

EEEH, only 1 more rep point needed for another green jello block!!

Anyways, about a month ago, right after I'd seen Gemini, I had the good fortune to talk to Amanda. I told her about the wonderful response of people saying how she was brilliant in it, and she was SOOO grateful. She was just going on and on about how happy she is that people liked it, seeing as it was the hardest episode she's ever had to do, and that she was so happy she was able to hear about it I actually didn't know about thsi thread then, but next time I speak with her i'm DEFINATELY telling her about now that it's aired in the US even MORE people have been once again blown away by her
        The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
        |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
          As well as the Sam/Jack shippers (to different degrees depending on how picky you are. for Me, it was MASSIVLY shippy! Took some things RIGHT out of fan fics im' writing, almost word for word! )
          I felt the same way, and it was so good to see some of that again: their heads being so close together as they watched the MALP activate and his wonderful line when RepliCarter announced herself and said there were "two Sam Carters". If only ... and Sam looking back up at him ... sigh, it gave my shippy heart a little jump start.

BTW, your Emerald City website is quite impressive but dangerous - I found it yesterday while at the office and lost over an hour from browsing through the fics!

I was trying to keep my distance from Gemini because of my own Head Trip fic which is still in progress. But I couldn't resist turning it on tonight. And I really enjoyed it - it will be one of my favorites.

Sure, RC had Sam fooled from the first moment ... she had planned it carefully and ruthlessly ... and, yes, some fans are upset. But, once again, the terrific acting on Amanda's part of the dual roles and the whole need to have a plot device to move the arc forward for RC's future as one of the arch villains allowed me to forgive some of the weaknesses in the script.

Also, wasn't it great to see the extra interaction between Teal'c and Sam? He did speak up for her too by telling O'Neill that he did not think Carter would jeopardize the mission because of her feelings of sympathy towards RC.

Of course, she did compromise the mission and that will be a turning point in her character development. Hallelujah, the fact that Sam was gullible and vulnerable has now created a new level of stress and self doubt. This is good - it's that part of Sam wrestling with her demons that we want to see. So, I think we should be more forgiving of the plot and trust that it will produce even more interesting episodes in the future.

A big "welcome" to some of the newer names on this thread - stick around - we are an interesting and fascinating group of fans - not to mention the fact that some of us really know how to handle projectile weapons and microscopes! Does it count if I tell you that I actually won a blue ribbon and beat the men in a holiday target practice with a .32 years ago at a dude ranch?! Heck, I didn't know what I was doing ... but I sure enjoyed doing it!
          Last edited by ChopinGal; 22 January 2005, 08:31 AM. Reason: Format

Comment

[QUOTE
            EEEH, only 1 more rep point needed for another green jello block!!

[/QUOTE]

Holy Hannah, Major Sam, what are those rep points all about? 'Splain please, Lucy Thank you for mine, but how do I post points for other people?

And, even more importantly, when are these Von Major Sam Family Singers CDs going to be available?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopinGal
              I felt the same way, and it was so good to see some of that again: their heads being so close together as they watched the MALP activate and his wonderful line when RepliCarter announced herself and said there were "two Sam Carters". If only ... and Sam looking back up at him ... sigh, it gave my shippy heart a little jump start.

I was trying to keep my distance from Gemini because of my own Head Trip fic which is still in progress. But I couldn't resist turning it on tonight. And I really enjoyed it - it will be one of my favorites.

Sure, RC had Sam fooled from the first moment ... she had planned it carefully and ruthlessly ... and, yes, some fans are upset. But, once again, the terrific acting on Amanda's part of the dual roles and the whole need to have a plot device to move the arc forward for RC's future as one of the arch villains allowed me to forgive some of the weaknesses in the script.

Also, wasn't it great to see the extra interaction between Teal'c and Sam? He did speak up for her too by telling O'Neill that he did not think Carter would jeopardize the mission because of her feelings of sympathy towards RC.

Of course, she did compromise the mission and that will be a turning point in her character development. Hallelujah, the fact that Sam was gullible and vulnerable has now created a new level of stress and self doubt. This is good - it's that part of Sam wrestling with her demons that we want to see. So, I think we should be more forgiving of the plot and trust that it will produce even more interesting episodes in the future.

A big "welcome" to some of the newer names on this thread - stick around - we are an interesting and fascinating group of fans - not to mention the fact that some of us really know how to handle projectile weapons and telescopes! Does it count if I tell you that I actually won a blue ribbon and beat the men in a holiday target practice with a .32 years ago at a dude ranch?! Heck, I didn't know what I was doing ... but I sure enjoyed doing it!
              Myfirst comment, Holy Hannah has this turned into a women empowerment thread! It's BRILLIANT!!!

You beat out some guys at a dude ranch!? You Go Girl!!! I love hearing those kinds of stories. One time years ago a bunch of trainee army guys and myself went out to a shooting range on an exercise, and we did archery, and it was actually my first time ever (having been deprived through various circumstances at camps during my younger younger years) and all the guys were like "oh man i'm pro!" and we did the classic Pop the Balloon thing, and so they were shooting, maybe got one or two balloons popped. Me? Every single one

I can't wait for your fic, Head Trip. How long do you think it's going to be? My fic "Broken" is turning out to be very VERY long

I agree and second all your points on Gemini. I'm really really happy with all the Teal'c Sam interaction going on, it's something Amanda has been especially passionate about over the years, they're friendship. in the new Lowdown when Pierre Bernard mentioned it she was definately pleased, I could tell. (then of course there was the great comment about Jack, haha)

Originally posted by Skydiver
              Nice coinkydink!

as in a funky way to pronounce coincidence

although i spell it
              quinky dink
              OMG, Coinkydink... I say that I think EVERY SINGLE DAY! I thought it was some crazy coinky doink type weird pronunciation thing... Sorry, It's exam time, so of course my brain has shut off completely and all functions have gone to mush!
              The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
              |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

Hi Again

I should be trying out my first online shopping trip at Tesco's - but sorta somehow found myself here - strange eh!

MajorSam - I also need to ask about your CD? Got any songs penned?

Wow - this thread has got the most interesting and eclectic mix of people - everyone is so cool!!

Major Sam - how long will you be in Germany? I must have missed it somewhere - are you actually in the forces? You are doing us all proud - along with Deepspace et al!

Osiris - RA - I had always thought Sam takes her soldiering very seriously - and you can't let your guard down on a mission - even in friendly territory - so she is I guess always ready for the unexpected. (This is my take on her anyway) I also think the assumption that women can't hold guns is generally correct because they don't really play guns as kids (well in my day and neck of the woods they didn't - apart from me that is) Once a woman is shown what to do and practice I think she would be able to hold a gun as well as any man.
                Remember Felger in Avenger - he was a hoot with his gun on the planet!!

Its like football (soccer). Men always snort than women don't know how to play and can't kick a ball. Well I guess they can't if the first time they try to kick a ball is in their late teens, whilst the chaps have played ever since they could stand. I always used to run rings around the lads at football - as I started playing as soon as I could stand.

I've not seen any of season 8 yet - don't know when I will. I may have to wait for the DVD's to come out!!

Tok'ra Hostess - That is a really good point you've made. I've not seen the ep - so don't know what flaw you mean, but like you're sentiment. Yes we do all have flaws we need to work on. As long as the storylines deal with these flaws and doesn't just let them lie. What other ep's would you say show her character flaws?

Thanks to everyone for explaining all the techno stuff with the weapons!!

MajorSam - If you get to meet the lovely AT give her a hug and a thankyou and let her know she has a lot of fans accross the pond!!(Which I guess she must know given the gabbit event). Yes tell her about the thread. She deserves to read all this positive comment. And to know her portrayal of Sam Carter is so inspirational to many different people on many different levels.

Right - I guess I'd better find Tesco's!!!

Comment

what's a rep block?

Comment

Originally posted by Coley
                    what's a rep block?
                    Yes, inquiring minds want to know ... what is a rep block?! Of course, it could be a "replicator building block" as in Head Trip (ha ha) but I'm sure it's some kind of reputation point system on the GW forum. Help me and Coley out here, any of you Board mods ... we're new to this game.

And, inquiring minds also want to know ... what are those Major Sam Family CDs all about?!!

And, Coley, I assume your Tesco is a super department store chain in the UK, similar to our WalMarts in the states? From what I saw of Kent, Sussex, area - the lovely countryside wasn't overrun with shopping malls like here. That's actually a good thing, don't you think?

Sam Carter is a great character because she's letting us find out a heckuva lot about her fans, their backgrounds, and the countries they live in too!

Comment

Originally posted by MajorSam
                      Myfirst comment, Holy Hannah has this turned into a women empowerment thread! It's BRILLIANT!!!

You beat out some guys at a dude ranch!? You Go Girl!!! I love hearing those kinds of stories. One time years ago a bunch of trainee army guys and myself went out to a shooting range on an exercise, and we did archery, and it was actually my first time ever (having been deprived through various circumstances at camps during my younger younger years) and all the guys were like "oh man i'm pro!" and we did the classic Pop the Balloon thing, and so they were shooting, maybe got one or two balloons popped. Me? Every single one

I can't wait for your fic, Head Trip. How long do you think it's going to be? My fic "Broken" is turning out to be very VERY long
                      Yes, I agree - and isn't it wonderful?! Your archery session sounds a lot like what happened with my rifle target shooting competition ... I do remember the guys as very full of themselves. But I was the one who consistently hit or came closest to the bullseye by the end of the day. LOL And look at Coley enjoying herself on the football/soccer field and doing it well!

As to writing long fanfic, I am looking forward to Broken one day. For now, the Persevering Author Prize for Longest FanFic should probably be awarded to our own AstroG for Overtime and What Will It Take. If any of you have not read these yet, find yourself a good snowstorm, a comfy chair and blanket, a mug of hot chocolate, and enjoy! What Will It Take could really be turned into a Sam Carter novel one day. AstroG writes under the pen name of SG1_Fanfic and, by golly, she's everywhere, she's everywhere - look at some previous posts here for full details. As for my own Head Trip, you can find it at the http://www.fanfiction.net/~chopingal website. It's a work in progress, and I am having so much fun writing it. My Sam Carter has learned from her past encounters with Fifth, and she's becoming quite resistant to his tactics. I plan to upload (or download, or whatever one does with a PC) to GW but I'm fairly new to writing fanfic so have started out over at the other site. I like to use italics and quotes and it seems more user friendly for a beginner.

I asked this in an earlier post, and maybe need to repeat the request ... Many of you seem to be "regulars" on this Board and also fanfic writers yourselves; can any fanfic author here please post your link so all of us can really start to enjoy each other's Sam and SG-1 stories? I know I may have mixed up Emerald City website with MajorSam and SkyDiver - sorry if I did. And AstroG and I have already posted ours. So any other writers reading this - please give us your info! Thanks!
                      Last edited by ChopinGal; 22 January 2005, 08:39 AM. Reason: Punctuation!

Comment

Ok, a lot of you have said things about Gemini I would have already. Let me just second these thoughts:
                        1) Amanda Tapping did an awesome job playing the 2 characters. They were so distinct and yet similar. RC had some of Sam's mannerisms, but was definitely a replicator. and she had the subtle evil machine look at the end. Great!
                        2) Teal'c backing Carter was great.
                        3) Sam not always seeing the worst in emotional situations. That goes to what we know about Sam being a good person.

**spoiler**
                        Spoiler:
                        I understand that RC had to escape--this is a show after all and why kill such a good villain right away? But I wish it hadn't made Sam seem so gullible. I think one of the things we've talked about in the past applies here. If we had seen more of the emotional toll her experience with 5th took on her, we might have had more foundation for her reactions to the RC. After her horrible experience *of course* she would sympathize.
                        Last edited by jckfan55; 22 January 2005, 09:01 AM. Reason: fix spoiler warning

Comment

Yes, inquiring minds want to know ... what is a rep block?! Of course, it could be a "replicator building block" as in Head Trip (ha ha) but I'm sure it's some kind of reputation point system on the GW forum. Help me and Coley out here, any of you Board mods ... we're new to this game.
                          In this case, a rep block refers to a Reputation Block, those little green (or red if you've been bad ) blocks under your location. The forum allows other posters give you reputation points for good or bad posts on the forum by clicking on the scales in the corner of your post. The more reputation someone has, and the longer they have been around, the more reputation they can give.

For ever hundred points you get, up until about 500, you get a new block. After that, it gets progressively harder. The upper limit is 11 blocks. Sometimes it's called Green Jello, or in the case of the harder blocks to get, radioactive or naquadah enhanced jello.

Comment

I asked this in an earlier post, and maybe need to repeat the request ... Many of you seem to be "regulars" on this Board and also fanfic writers yourselves; can any fanfic author here please post your link so all of us can really start to enjoy each other's Sam and SG-1 stories? I know I may have mixed up Emerald City website with MajorSam and SkyDiver - sorry if I did. And AstroG and I have already posted ours. So any other writers reading this - please give us your info! Thanks!
                            yeah, emerald city is my site

but i second your comment, sam fic is so rare, i invite anyone to post links to good sam fic

just please, warn appropriately if it's a character death or smut or some such

denise
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

the one telling thing about gemini
                              Spoiler:

sam had no idea of just how bad and manipulative she can be.
                              now, i'm not dissing her, please don't think that. However, sam knows how to work people.

she knows how to push jack's buttons, we saw as much in Abyss. She knows teal'c's weak spot (which, imho, is the fact that teal'c likes and trusts her)
                              in fact, all of them trust her implicitly. replicarter knew that. and RC knew that all she n eeded to do was to get sam on her side and sam would control the others.

RC was Sam at her worst. She was a glimpse into what sam could be should she ever decide to throw caution and propriety to the wind and dedicate her sole existence to whatever she wants.

Some have suggested that RC is out for galactic domination. I really don't think so. I think that RC is focused on one objective...survival. And to survive, she needed to get rid of fifth, her only real competition, and she needed to eliminate the one weapon

so she set out with a single minded purpose to do just that

in the end of New Order, we saw a glimpse of just how much sam would manipulate people to survive....RC got that from her

i do think that it will be masively interesting when RC comes back. because now, sam knows just what RC is capable of....and sam is pissed.
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                the one telling thing about gemini
                                Spoiler:

sam had no idea of just how bad and manipulative she can be.
                                now, i'm not dissing her, please don't think that. However, sam knows how to work people.

she knows how to push jack's buttons, we saw as much in Abyss. She knows teal'c's weak spot (which, imho, is the fact that teal'c likes and trusts her)
                                in fact, all of them trust her implicitly. replicarter knew that. and RC knew that all she n eeded to do was to get sam on her side and sam would control the others.

RC was Sam at her worst. She was a glimpse into what sam could be should she ever decide to throw caution and propriety to the wind and dedicate her sole existence to whatever she wants.

Some have suggested that RC is out for galactic domination. I really don't think so. I think that RC is focused on one objective...survival. And to survive, she needed to get rid of fifth, her only real competition, and she needed to eliminate the one weapon

so she set out with a single minded purpose to do just that

in the end of New Order, we saw a glimpse of just how much sam would manipulate people to survive....RC got that from her

i do think that it will be masively interesting when RC comes back. because now, sam knows just what RC is capable of....and sam is pissed.
                                I don't usually think of Sam that way, but I think you're right. We may bet some really cool Sam episodes out of this. We can hope...

Comment

Working...
                                X